• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#81 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 01:43 AM

I keep seeing this  in different forums.   It doesn't matter what religion you are, as long as you care about the Holy Father.

Edited by JRSellers, 03 April 2005 - 01:44 AM.

#82 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 01:44 AM

Isn't there a biography on his life in book form?
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#83 Chakotay

Chakotay

For gosh sakes let me out of here!

• Islander
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 02:28 AM

Several. probably, with lots more to come I expect.

Requiescat in Pace, Karol Wotija.

You expressed your beliefs with sincerity and clarity so that even those who disagreed with you had to respect you.
And some who met you say you were a genuinely nice person.
  No plan survives first contact with the enemy - military axiom.

#84 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 02:36 AM

there are many, and not only the autos, by him, but journalist ones too

I just reserved the Reaching out across borders one by the Rueters journalists...

There's also the HIs Holiness one by Carl Bernstein with some massive analysis including a big theory of collusion with the Reagan gov on Solidarnosc-

but there's a big one, Man of the century, by Kwitny, that's 760 pages and debunks many theories (including that one above) and gives a nice full picture, but I won't have the time yet so I'll let others check that one out ...
:eek2:

HIS autos include Rise Let Us Be On Our Way, in which he tells of his time from consecration as a bishop in Kracov in 1958 through Archbishop of Kracov, then through to election as pope in 1978. He has three or four others, including his anniversary of 50 years since ordination as a priest, in which he tells many things of 'his way' besides his doings- {I WIll get this one out later}

He himself put out a dozen books including bios and essays and thoughts and meanings, you have some research to do inputting titles and authors, my son
:rolleyes:

PS-
let me just add...
there are dozens of the Legacy pieces out there now, but I just read one I would like you to read, because of how poignant it is and how well written, but also because of the personal connection of the writer who, juxtaposed with those over fifty who have plenty good things to say, this one grew up in the 80s and 90s when John Paul was already Pope .... it's a truely wonderful youthful journalistic piece in the opinion of the Sunday Scotsman of Edinburgh (web) on Scotsman.com
... if it brings up a register thing, I urge you, it's quick and free, you can kill the cookie later; but maybe not because, to me?: for the Scotsman.com?: it's worth registering! {one of the absolute best-done web newspaper sites in the world} - if you read one of these Legacy things on John Paul II, read this one.

That was the ’80s. The ’90s brought a slow drift from the arms of the Church, as secular materialism took hold. I was not atypical of Catholics of my generation. Ultimately, it proved too difficult to square the restrictive, reactionary dogma of Rome - the absolutist policies on contraception, abortion and the rest - with the licence granted by the mores

But I never really outgrew Karol Wojtyla. A little of the child remained, still star-struck by this moral superpower; a suspicion lingered that there was some kind of transcendental plan behind this man being in this role, at this time. Even as the years took their toll on him - as the wrinkles deepened and the body curled in on itself like a prawn, as the Parkinson’s took hold - he remained to me a being who was vibrantly, awesomely alive.

As his spokesman, Joaquin Navarro-Valls, once said: "He is the only global leader who is worried about the spiritual well-being of today’s men and women. He asks, ‘Who are you?’ instead of ‘What do you want to do?’ or ‘What do you want to buy?’" As the pace of technological and scientific change quickened, opening up ever more complex moral issues, John Paul shifted the theme of his papacy towards that question: Who are we?
by Chris Deerin, The Sunday essay
http://news.scotsman...fm?id=352372005

Edited by offworlder, 03 April 2005 - 03:20 AM.

"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#85 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 11:17 AM

Blessed Be Karl, rest in peace
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#86 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 01:39 PM

Having seen the massive crowds at St. Peter's, which are only going to grow, I'm wondering how Rome is going to handle all the people who are going to arrive?
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#87 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 02:03 PM

Blessed are the merciful.

Blessed are the peacemakers.
Posted Image

#88 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 08:06 AM

What i'm about to say may be unpopular, and I apologise in advance if my opinions offend anyone.

It is natural, when someone dies, to emphasise the good, not the bad. To look at what he did right, and not what he did wrong.

And yet, as I see page after page of tribute, of demands of sainthood, of hearing him called everything from the greatest pope who ever lived, to a truly great human being I am chilled to the bone.

yes, he was seen, and yes, he refuted Stalin, and these were good things, for the world and for his faith. However, he was also the pope that swept the peadophile scandal under the rug. He was also the pope who fought with every weapon in his arsenal agains the use of condom's in Africa, allowing AIDS to grow immeasurably stronger.

If he is to be remembered, and by the public outcry it seems certain that he will be, then let's remember him, not as a saint, not as some divine figure who could do no wrong, who was perfection personified, but as a man, with his own quirks and foibles, his own blind spots and beliefs, who made mistakes, like any other person.

Let's remember him for being human.

May whatever you believe comes next, be what you hoped for.

Edited by Steven_Q, 04 April 2005 - 08:06 AM.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#89 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 10:45 AM

Steven_Q, on Apr 4 2005, 05:06 AM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The coverage at NPR is balanced.  Much loved and charismatic OTOH, his teachings ignored OTO.  His crushing liberation theology in Latin America contrasted with his support of Solidarity in Poland.  Much good stuff.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#90 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 12:17 PM

Steven_Q said:

I do. I haven't disagreed with any of the negative details I've heard, even while acknowledging the positive. Perhaps that's easier for an outsider to do, though -- someone who's eyed the Catholic Church with suspicion for a lifetime.

Nonny said:

The coverage at NPR is balanced.

Yes, it has been. But you've got to remember, Nonny, that NPR is just a bunch of evil liberals. :rolleyes:
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#91 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 02:12 PM

He was at one and the same time both a remarkable *and* a remarkably reactionary human being.  We're an amazing set of contradictions, aren't we?

While he may be remembered for taking the church a step backward, no one can deny that he was an active defender of human rights and human freedom.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Pope John Paul II

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users