Religion Agnostic

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 07:46 PM

Also, "area" is a pretty broad term . . . a town, a state, a country.  I mean, if you want to go really broad--the vast majority of those who post here (logically from the language we all post in) come from North America and portions of Europe.  Most of the English-speaking population resides in "predominately Christian areas"

In fact, I'd doubt that even urban areas in the countries that ExIslers come from tend to be anything but "predominately Christian".

Sure, there are exceptions, and we tend to find more divirsity in urban areas for the simple fact that there are more people in a small area, PERIOD.  But demographically, most if not all of us live in "predominately Christian areas".  It's just the most common religion(s) in our necks of the woods.

-Nick

#42 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 07:48 PM

RuReddy1, on Apr 13 2005, 01:03 PM, said:

I think you described guardian angels fairly well. But to me, it does not have to be a relative. You can call yours "relatives that have gone before me help take care of me."  Its a bit of a mouth full,  I prefer 'guardian angel' it short and easy to say.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

~.~ Or, you could very simply call them 'guardians', like I do.

I lean toward Celtic Paganism, meaning I am definitely not Christian and don't believe in angels. Besides, as I recall from my childhood teachings, the angels in the Bible had times of being cruel, I sure don't want help, guidance, etc... from some entity that could cause harm. So no, I did not describe angels.

Edited by Elara, 13 April 2005 - 07:51 PM.

El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#43 Nonprofit

Nonprofit
  • Islander
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 11:34 AM

RuReddy1 @ Apr 7 2005, 11:29 AM
I believe in God.
I believe in guardian angels.
I have faith.
I have been blessed.

I also have never seen nor heard anyone in a desperate
situation pray to any other entity, other than God.

TechHarper Posted Apr 10 2005, 11:57 PM
I would bet good money that you live in a predominantly Christian area. That would go a long way toward explaining why you've never heard anyone pray to an entity other than god (alternatively it could be Judaism or any other monotheistic religion that calls its entity "god").

As for your belief, you're free to it. If it brings you comfort and peace and as long as you don't spend your time trying to force me to agree with you (either individually or through the government), I say have fun. I'll stick with science, imperfect though it is, and accepting that something else may exist, however unlikely. You can have faith.

RuReddy1 Posted Apr 13 2005, 01:03 PM
This is about the most narrow minded thinking I've seen in a while. What on earth does the area, in which I live, have to do with my hearing people pray to God in desperate situations? Do you only hear things within your towns property lines? Your statement goes a long way to being totally ridiculous.

Rhea Posted Apr 13 2005, 01:49 PM
I think the person was trying to say that if you've never heard anyone pray to an entity other than the Christian God you must not live in an urban area. It's a perfectly logical statement, given that a great many people *aren't* Christians and don't pray to the Christian God. Ergo, you probably live in a small town in rural America.

Nick Posted Apr 13 2005, 07:46 PM
Also, "area" is a pretty broad term . . . a town, a state, a country. I mean, if you want to go really broad--the vast majority of those who post here (logically from the language we all post in) come from North America and portions of Europe. Most of the English-speaking population resides in "predominately Christian areas"

In fact, I'd doubt that even urban areas in the countries that ExIslers come from tend to be anything but "predominately Christian".

Sure, there are exceptions, and we tend to find more divirsity in urban areas for the simple fact that there are more people in a small area, PERIOD. But demographically, most if not all of us live in "predominately Christian areas". It's just the most common religion(s) in our necks of the woods.

-Nick

Thanks for the input Nick.  Very nicely said.  

If we were all judged by where we lived and what we heard by

TechHarper Posted Apr 10 2005, 11:57 PM
I would bet good money that you live in a predominantly Christian area. That would go a long way toward explaining why you've never heard anyone pray to an entity other than god (alternatively it could be Judaism or any other monotheistic religion that calls its entity "god").

where exactly would those boundary lines be?  On the street where my house is located?  The name of the town in where my mail  is recieved?  The town of where I do all my shopping since my town only has a post office, one restaurant and one church. (which I don't attend)  Or the metropolis where I do my volenteer work on week-ends?  

Yes I may live in a small rural town but my hearing is endless and not related to my area in anyway.

RuReddy

#44 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 11:41 AM

Nick, on Apr 13 2005, 04:46 PM, said:

Also, "area" is a pretty broad term . . . a town, a state, a country.  I mean, if you want to go really broad--the vast majority of those who post here (logically from the language we all post in) come from North America and portions of Europe.  Most of the English-speaking population resides in "predominately Christian areas"

Sure, there are exceptions, and we tend to find more divirsity in urban areas for the simple fact that there are more people in a small area, PERIOD.  But demographically, most if not all of us live in "predominately Christian areas".  It's just the most common religion(s) in our necks of the woods.

-Nick

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sure it is. But there are also millions of non-Christians in this country. RuReddy may never have heard anyone pray to someone other than the Christian god, but many if not most of the rest of us have. And guess what? RuReddy does live in a rural area. Amazing how I figured that out, isn't it?  :hehe:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#45 Nonprofit

Nonprofit
  • Islander
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 12:05 PM

Rhea Posted Today, 11:41 AM
Sure it is. But there are also millions of non-Christians in this country. RuReddy may never have heard anyone pray to someone other than the Christian god, but many if not most of the rest of us have. And guess what? RuReddy does live in a rural area. Amazing how I figured that out, isn't it?

:lol:  LOL.....Yep,  you are amazing. I'm not sure how you figured that out so easily. Dang!  Considering I mentioned on this board I live in a small town a few times.

I lived in an urban area for over 20  years.  I only moved back to the country about  10 years ago and I'm loving it.  :D

RuReddy

#46 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 02:46 PM

RuReddy1, on Apr 15 2005, 09:05 AM, said:

Rhea Posted Today, 11:41 AM
Sure it is. But there are also millions of non-Christians in this country. RuReddy may never have heard anyone pray to someone other than the Christian god, but many if not most of the rest of us have. And guess what? RuReddy does live in a rural area. Amazing how I figured that out, isn't it?

:lol:  LOL.....Yep,  you are amazing. I'm not sure how you figured that out so easily. Dang!  Considering I mentioned on this board I live in a small town a few times.

I lived in an urban area for over 20  years.  I only moved back to the country about  10 years ago and I'm loving it.  :D

RuReddy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can understand that. I live in a rural area by choice - and love it as well. I like being able to visit the big city when the spirit moves me, but wouldn't want to live there (and I never paid attention to where you live until this thread :p~).
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#47 TechHarper

TechHarper
  • Islander
  • 231 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 02:39 AM

RuReddy1, on Apr 13 2005, 11:03 AM, said:

Lets start with this first.

This is about the most narrow minded thinking I've seen in a while. What on earth does the area, in which I live, have to do with my hearing people pray to God in desperate situations?  Do you only hear things within your towns property lines?  Your statement goes a long way to being totally ridiculous.

Oh for god's sake (pun intended)!  I didn't even know you lived in a small town!  I assumed, because you made the claim that the only entity you've ever heard people pray to was god, that the majority of people around you are Christian or Jewish.  Your post suggested to me that you think people only pray to the Christian god because that's the only one you've ever heard people pray to.  I drew a conclusion based on your statement.  Is it possible I'm wrong?  Absolutely and I have no problem admitting my mistake if you live in a neighborhood/city/state of Hindus or Buddhists who simply pray to "god" or if I totally misunderstood you.  The fact remains however that a large majority of Americans identify themselves as Christians.  I, for example, know more Christians than people of any other religious group.  Thus I too generally only hear people pray to god.  It would be totally different if I lived in an area with a high number of Muslims or Hindus or Roman Paganists or any other religious group that doesn't refer to their deity as "god."  BTW, when I said "area," I was reffering to the country as a whole.  Because, as I said above, the U.S. is predominantly Christian.  If you care to further call me narrow minded, I can find the polls for you.

As for your belief, you're free to it. If it brings you comfort and peace and as long as you don't spend your time trying to force me to agree with you (either individually or through the government), I say have fun.
I see nothing in my post where I was forceing you to believe anything nor any reason for you to quote me, to render this kind of reply from you. But thanks for letting me know I'm free to my belief and I can have some fun with it.

Well, gee, touchy aren't we.  I was neither giving you approval nor chastising you.  I also didn't say that you were trying to force your beliefs on me.  You are the one who posted a religious comment in a thread aimed at agnostics.  You're free to do so and I'm free to respond.  I said, quite frankly, that I don't care what you believe as long as you're happy and it doesn't effect me.  That's it.  But please, continue taking my every word completely literally so that you can make sarcastic comments.  That's what I live for. :rolleyes:

I'll stick with science, imperfect though it is, and accepting that something else may exist, however unlikely. You can have faith.  :)

Thanks for your approval.  But I already had faith prior to your permission to do so.

RuReddy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You made a statement of faith and didn't even try to tie the post into the rest of the topic.  You didn't say you disagreed with the conclusion of agnosticism, you didn't try to support your statement of faith, you did nothing except state that you have faith.  Great!  Good for you.  My statement was meant to say, quite bluntly, that you can have it.  I want no part of it.  If it makes you happy, then good for you.  I'm glad you enjoy it.  What more can be said?  Your post had no substance except to say that you have faith.

Edited one more time to add:  When I said, "I was reffering to the country as a whole," I am well aware of the fact that there are regional variations.  See my point about the U.S. being predominantly Christian and making an extrapolation based on your comments.  I would hate for there to be any further misunderstanding.

Edited by TechHarper, 16 April 2005 - 10:30 PM.

"When the government fears the people, there is liberty; when the people fear the government, there is tyranny. - Thomas Jefferson
"A nation that limits freedom in the name of security will have neither." - Thomas Jefferson

#48 TechHarper

TechHarper
  • Islander
  • 231 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 02:50 AM

I also wanted to add, it is totally possible for someone with strong religious beliefs to make a contribution and to post something more than a statement of faith.  Handmaiden07 made a post that addressed part of the topic being discussed and expanded one's understanding of her beliefs.  It was more than just "I believe this, I believe that, everyone prays to what I pray to."  Then again, comparing anyone to HM in regard to philosophy and religion may be unfair; she generally tends to be quite interesting and easy-going without getting into massive arguments like Ru and I tend to do everytime we meet in a thread...

Edited by TechHarper, 16 April 2005 - 02:51 AM.

"When the government fears the people, there is liberty; when the people fear the government, there is tyranny. - Thomas Jefferson
"A nation that limits freedom in the name of security will have neither." - Thomas Jefferson

#49 Snow Angel

Snow Angel

Fallen... and I can't get up

• Islander
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 12:03 PM

RuReddy1, on Apr 7 2005, 02:29 PM, said:

I believe in God.
I believe in guardian angels.
I have faith.
I have been blessed.

I also have never seen nor heard anyone in a desperate
situation pray to any other entity, other than God.

RuReddy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Since it's already caused so much controversy, I would really like to know a little more about the meaning of this post, because it seems to me, myself and others in this thread may not have understood it.

Are you trying to say that only Christians pray?  (in which case, I could only wonder how it is you wound up calling someone else 'narrow minded')

or that only people who believe in some kind of diety pray? (which, I guess, makes sense, seeing as, if you don't believe in a higher power, who would you pray to?  I guess it's technically true, but not really saying much).

Are you saying that everyone prays to God in difficult times, whether they are religious or not?  (in which case, I would have to disagree)

or simply that you don't know anyone who does not believe in a being called God?
(I'm sure that could be true, but don't really know what it has to do with this thread, unless you are questioning the existence of such people).
Not knowing where the rock came from DOESN'T MAKE IT CHEESE.
--Kissing Hank's [Butt]

#50 Elara

Elara

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 07:41 PM

TechHarper, on Apr 16 2005, 02:50 AM, said:

I also wanted to add, it is totally possible for someone with strong religious beliefs to make a contribution and to post something more than a statement of faith.  Handmaiden07 made a post that addressed part of the topic being discussed and expanded one's understanding of her beliefs.  It was more than just "I believe this, I believe that, everyone prays to what I pray to."  Then again, comparing anyone to HM in regard to philosophy and religion may be unfair; she generally tends to be quite interesting and easy-going without getting into massive arguments like Ru and I tend to do everytime we meet in a thread...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

~.~ I know the feeling, TechHarper.

As to what rureddy said, I must admit I also have never heard anyone pray to something other than 'God', but then I am in a small rural community.
At the same time, the 'God' I have heard prayed to is not always the same one, but still called: God.

Myself, I give thanks to the Earth and hope that fate is kind to me, I also ask my guardians to make sure I listen instead of ignoring them at times.

I have uttered the phrase: omg or please god, etc... ~shrug~ it means nothing, just chalk that up to a Christian upbringing, not a belief in the Christian God, because if I did believe in Him, saying phrases of that nature would be a bad thing.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#51 TechHarper

TechHarper
  • Islander
  • 231 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 10:28 PM

Elara, on Apr 16 2005, 05:41 PM, said:

~.~ I know the feeling, TechHarper.

As to what rureddy said, I must admit I also have never heard anyone pray to something other than 'God', but then I am in a small rural community.
At the same time, the 'God' I have heard prayed to is not always the same one, but still called: God.

Myself, I give thanks to the Earth and hope that fate is kind to me, I also ask my guardians to make sure I listen instead of ignoring them at times.

I have uttered the phrase: omg or please god, etc... ~shrug~ it means nothing, just chalk that up to a Christian upbringing, not a belief in the Christian God, because if I did believe in Him, saying phrases of that nature would be a bad thing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know exactly what you're talking about.  I think such phrases have a dual meaning in our culture.  There is the literal meaning of appealing to that particular deity, and the non-literal meaning which may be used by people with different (or no) religious beliefs at all to express shock and so on.  I've heard agnostics, atheists, and even a Buddhist use such phrases on multiple occasions, but I would hardly call a common choice of words a prayer...

What I'd still like to know is how it's "narrow minded" to say that if the area you live in is overwhelmingly Christian, you'll probably only hear people pray to the Christian god.  Somehow that equates to "it's because you're in a small town" or something similar. :blink:

Edited by TechHarper, 16 April 2005 - 10:29 PM.

#52 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:48 PM

TechHarper, on Apr 16 2005, 07:28 PM, said:

What I'd still like to know is how it's "narrow minded" to say that if the area you live in is overwhelmingly Christian, you'll probably only hear people pray to the Christian god.  Somehow that equates to "it's because you're in a small town" or something similar. :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you figure it out, let me know.  :eek4:
- Robert A. Heinlein

#53 Elara

Elara

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 08:56 PM

Rhea, on Apr 18 2005, 04:48 PM, said:

TechHarper, on Apr 16 2005, 07:28 PM, said:

What I'd still like to know is how it's "narrow minded" to say that if the area you live in is overwhelmingly Christian, you'll probably only hear people pray to the Christian god.  Somehow that equates to "it's because you're in a small town" or something similar. :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you figure it out, let me know.  :eek4:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

~.~ I'm with Rhea. :)

Funny thing is, I am from a map dot and I didn't assume that nor would I take offense if that was what you meant. I actually understood what you meant. :blink:
El

#54 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 10:37 AM

We've all heard phrases like "there are no atheists in a foxhole."  Which is probably not literally true but covers the idea that when people are in danger, their cultural or childhood training might lead them to express that fear by a prayer of sorts.  "Please, let it miss me."  Might be a prayer to a god or might just be a fervent plea to the fates or just a big, big wish.  Believers will really be praying to a diety they believe in (as will believers on the other side of the foxhole...).  In the western world, that's most often a single god, called "God" or "Lord" or "Jesus" in Christianity.  I'm not sure how those of the Jewish faith express god's name; Muslims pray to "Allah" - do Muslims ever address "Allah" as "God"?  If they don't, then Rureddy should have heard somebody pray to something not named "God," at least on tv.  Actually, Rureddy should have also heard prayers addressed to "Jesus."  I don't know how other religions address their prayers.

For nonbelievers, "god" is just an expression, a part of the language.  "Dear god, that's awful."  "g*d d*mn it" - heck, if you don't believe in heaven or hell, that expression has no relevancy but we still use it!  "God!" as an expression of shock. The French "mon dieu!"  I would guess that most of us aren't really calling on a diety when we use those expressions.

Sometimes I find myself thinking "if there's anyone/thing out there, thanks" for a great day or avoiding an accident, but I don't really believe there is anything out there directing or caring about my personal affairs.  I think it might be genetic that the species wants to believe in a higher power to turn our troubles over to.  When there was no scientific knowledge, people thought gods controlled the weather and other aspects of life.  Seems to me that as knowledge increased, the gods mostly dwindled down to one.  For me, they've dwindled to 0.  But I still use the word "god" in expressions - it's just part of the language as I've learned it.

As far as where you live - well, Nashville's bigger than a map dot but it's also the buckle of the bible belt.  There are at least 2 Jewish temples, a big Muslim presence and a Hindu temple.  But you can bet 99.99999 percent of any references to religion or dieties I hear around here mean the conservative protestant Christian diety, and more likely "Jesus" rather than "God."

Themis
Cats will never be extinct!

#55 Elara

Elara

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 11:38 AM

^ ^ Exactly.

And you raise a point my son and I were discussing yesterday when we spoke of this topic and how my family feels about my (his, as well.) lack of belief in the Christian God.
When I was a child and going to Sunday school (Methodist), after learning about Jesus, we were taught the Old Testament and it seemed to me that God was cruel. When I asked my teacher, she gave many reasons/excuses, but none excused what He did as far as I was concerned. So I asked more questions and got sent to the hall to think about my doubts and learn how it was wrong to question.
As we progressed through the Bible, we got back to Jesus, how great a man he was, how loving and forgiving. To me, he was much better than his father, so as a child, I prayed to Jesus, never to God.
As an adult, not knowing what higher being may or may not exist, I still feel that the Christian god is no better or worse than most any other god/goddess that ever existed or still exists.
A small part of me can't help but hope there truly is a Jesus, but my beliefs more closely follow Druid/Native American beliefs. Meaning, I give thanks to the life on the world that sustains me and my family.

One last note. I had been at my RA appointment Mon. (yesterday) morning and just as I left, in the middle of noon rush (capital city), my cell rang. I had been givin a shot in my left wrist, so was trying to drive and talk one handed, or at least not cause damage to my wrist. I cussed a bit to the Fates ~g~ for my mother calling in that moment, then urged her to quit stalling as she told me not to speed before she told me why she called. I had horses out (me one handed, windy day, stud out, etc...), I told her I'd drive safe, then proceeded to 'fly' home. Made an hour and a half drive in one hour, the whole way begging fate to be on my side today, begging the horses not to get hurt, threatening the stud if he caused harm to the baby, etc...
I never once prayed to any god.
El

#56 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 11:52 AM

Themis, on Apr 19 2005, 04:37 PM, said:

We've all heard phrases like "there are no atheists in a foxhole." 

I have no idea who i'm quoting, but someone once said that 'there are no atheists in foxholes' isn't a condemnation of atheists, but of foxholes.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#57 Nonprofit

Nonprofit
  • Islander
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 10:25 AM

Tech Harper Apr 16 2005, 07:39 AM

RuReddy1 Apr 13 2005, 06:03 PM

Tech Harper Apr 11 2005, 04:57 AM

This is about the most narrow minded thinking I've seen in a while. What on earth does the area, in which I live, have to do with my hearing people pray to God in desperate situations? Do you only hear things within your towns property lines? Your statement goes a long way to being totally ridiculous.

Oh for god's sake (pun intended)! I didn't even know you lived in a small town! I assumed, because you made the claim that the only entity you've ever heard people pray to was god, that the majority of people around you are Christian or Jewish. Your post suggested to me that you think people only pray to the Christian god because that's the only one you've ever heard people pray to. I drew a conclusion based on your statement. Is it possible I'm wrong? Absolutely and I have no problem admitting my mistake if you live in a neighborhood/city/state of Hindus or Buddhists who simply pray to "god" or if I totally misunderstood you. The fact remains however that a large majority of Americans identify themselves as Christians. I, for example, know more Christians than people of any other religious group. Thus I too generally only hear people pray to god. It would be totally different if I lived in an area with a high number of Muslims or Hindus or Roman Paganists or any other religious group that doesn't refer to their deity as "god." BTW, when I said "area," I was reffering to the country as a whole. Because, as I said above, the U.S. is predominantly Christian. If you care to further call me narrow minded, I can find the polls for you.

Well, gee, touchy aren't we. I was neither giving you approval nor chastising you. I also didn't say that you were trying to force your beliefs on me. You are the one who posted a religious comment in a thread aimed at agnostics. You're free to do so and I'm free to respond. I said, quite frankly, that I don't care what you believe as long as you're happy and it doesn't effect me. That's it. But please, continue taking my every word completely literally so that you can make sarcastic comments. That's what I live for.  

You made a statement of faith and didn't even try to tie the post into the rest of the topic. You didn't say you disagreed with the conclusion of agnosticism, you didn't try to support your statement of faith, you did nothing except state that you have faith. Great! Good for you. My statement was meant to say, quite bluntly, that you can have it. I want no part of it. If it makes you happy, then good for you. I'm glad you enjoy it. What more can be said? Your post had no substance except to say that you have faith.

Edited one more time to add: When I said, "I was reffering to the country as a whole," I am well aware of the fact that there are regional variations. See my point about the U.S. being predominantly Christian and making an extrapolation based on your comments. I would hate for there to be any further misunderstanding.

Tech Harper Apr 16 2005, 02:50 AM
I also wanted to add, it is totally possible for someone with strong religious beliefs to make a contribution and to post something more than a statement of faith. Handmaiden07 made a post that addressed part of the topic being discussed and expanded one's understanding of her beliefs. It was more than just "I believe this, I believe that, everyone prays to what I pray to." Then again, comparing anyone to HM in regard to philosophy and religion may be unfair; she generally tends to be quite interesting and easy-going without getting into massive arguments like Ru and I tend to do everytime we meet in a thread...

BTW, when I said "area," I was reffering to the country as a whole.

Thanks for clarifying what you meant by "area".  My mistake,  who knew you were talking about the entire country for goodness sakes.  Asking folks about the area they live,  they will likely tell you about the town or community of their primary residence.  Although if thats what you meant your sentense should have been more like....."I would bet good money that since "we" live in a predominantly Christian area". IMO

You  wrote

I didn't even know you lived in a small town! I assumed, because you made the claim that the only entity you've ever heard people pray to was god, that the majority of people around you are Christian or Jewish. Your post suggested to me that you think people only pray to the Christian god because that's the only one you've ever heard people pray to.

There was really no need for you to assume anything about where I live because you have already made it clear you meant the country I was living in and not the town.

Tech Harper
I, for example, know more Christians than people of any other religious group. Thus I too generally only hear people pray to god.

Elara Apr 16 2005, 07:41 PM

This is nice to know but would have been nice if you both would have just agreed with me in your posts the first time around. Push the Big Red Easy Button.  :o   Elara, living in a small rural community has nothing to do it since I'm assuming that we (E, TH, Ru) all live in the same country.

Now you refer to where I live differently.

Absolutely and I have no problem admitting my mistake if you live in a neighborhood/city/state of Hindus or Buddhists who simply pray to "god" or if I totally misunderstood you.
Please clarify.  Does this mean in this country (U.S.) or in a third world country? Because neighborhood/city/state is what I thought "area" meant until you explained a much broader stroke of meaning the country as a whole.  As far as I know we do not have an entire city nor state of Hindus or Buddhists in the U.S .  Neighborhood is quite possible. So I'm assuming your talking if I lived in a third world country. Correct?

As I read this portion of your post I realized one of us has a different definition of the word massive.

Then again, comparing anyone to HM in regard to philosophy and religion may be unfair; she generally tends to be quite interesting and easy-going without getting into massive arguments like Ru and I tend to do everytime we meet in a thread...

This is only our second meeting in a thread so I guess "everytime" could apply.
However I do NOT consider this meeting to be a massive argument in any way. Our only other meeting is here in this link below.  I encourage everyone to please click on and read what TechHarper is referring too as a massive argument.  

http://www.exisle.ne...91

Everyone has their own way of thinking and massive to one may be different to another. You'll have to be the judge and decided what exactly does Tech Harper mean by massive.  Could it be that comment was not worthy in this case or just trying to make it look worst than what it really was.

RuReddy

#58 Pallas

Pallas

Wicked--Like the Witch of the West

• Islander
  • 833 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 01:43 PM

You know...there's probably a simpler explanation that this whole geography debate.

RuReddy said that he has never heard anyone pray, in desperate situations to pray to any entity other than God.

Okay, that's fair enough. However, "God" has many implications depending on who you're talking to. So I suppose one could easily assume that by "God" it refers to the God of that person's particular religious faith and not necessarily the JudeoChristian God.

Hinduism, which is the most obvious pantheistic religion out there, is also, monotheistic in a way. He is Brahama.

Buddhists don't pray to a god. Buddha was not a god; he was Enlightened. Buddhists seek Enlightenment by following the rules laid down by Buddha but they don't actually pray to him. That's the whole point of Nirvana--you can't get there unless you do this yourself.

So geographically or otherwise, praying to God is just that. Praying to the divinity of your faith. Unless, of course, you are specifing that God denotes Yahweh or Jesus, then that's another question all together.

Kalistria.
We can do noble acts without ruling the earth and sea--Aristotle

#59 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 02:23 PM

TechHarper, on Apr 16 2005, 03:50 AM, said:

I also wanted to add, it is totally possible for someone with strong religious beliefs to make a contribution and to post something more than a statement of faith.  Handmaiden07 made a post that addressed part of the topic being discussed and expanded one's understanding of her beliefs.  It was more than just "I believe this, I believe that, everyone prays to what I pray to."  Then again, comparing anyone to HM in regard to philosophy and religion may be unfair; she generally tends to be quite interesting and easy-going without getting into massive arguments like Ru and I tend to do everytime we meet in a thread...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

!!! Jeepers, you turn your head and people sneak up on you! LOL!  

Um... thank you... but at least in this thread, I can't take credit...  my religion inherently gives me guidance that says that I should try to find ways to get along with people of other faiths, and for me, that includes agnostics and atheists. :)

HM07

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#60 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 02:24 PM

Steven_Q, on Apr 19 2005, 12:52 PM, said:

Themis, on Apr 19 2005, 04:37 PM, said:

We've all heard phrases like "there are no atheists in a foxhole." 

I have no idea who i'm quoting, but someone once said that 'there are no atheists in foxholes' isn't a condemnation of atheists, but of foxholes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whoever said that was wise... although I'm not sure I'm undertanding the statement the way it was meant! :o

HM07

Een Draght Mackt Maght

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Religion, Agnostic

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users