• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 02:44 PM

Basically it was an anti-war quote, which was also making the point that Atheists don't need to pray when they are in trouble

I don't. I've been in a few tough spots, even been in a serious multi-person fight once. Never once did I pray to God, but i sure as hell wished i wasn't in that fight. so, condemnation of foxholes. if you see what I mean

Edited by Steven_Q, 22 April 2005 - 02:44 PM.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#62 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 02:49 PM

Oh yay!  I got the interpretation right then! :)

HM07

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#63 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 03:32 PM

Kalistria, on Apr 22 2005, 06:43 PM, said:

Hinduism, which is the most obvious pantheistic religion out there, is also, monotheistic in a way. He is Brahama.

Buddhists don't pray to a god. Buddha was not a god; he was Enlightened. Buddhists seek Enlightenment by following the rules laid down by Buddha but they don't actually pray to him. That's the whole point of Nirvana--you can't get there unless you do this yourself.

So geographically or otherwise, praying to God is just that. Praying to the divinity of your faith. Unless, of course, you are specifing that God denotes Yahweh or Jesus, then that's another question all together.

Kalistria.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK, if "most Christians" begin a prayer "Dear God" or "God help me" or "God, I beseech you" - using "God" (or possibly "Lord") as a name rather than an entity, and "most" Christians in the South seem to begin a prayer "Dear Jesus" and "most" Muslims begin a prayer "Allah" - do Hindus say "Dear Brahama" and Buddhists not pray in this sense?  Just seriously curious.  For that matter, do Jews say "Jehova" or "Yawah?"  I seem to remember something about not speaking the name of god... How do members of differing faiths begin prayers?

But as to the statements that started the discussion, about  never hearing anyone pray to anyone but "God," I assumed, correctly or not, that he had never heard anyone pray to Jesus or Allah or Apollo or any being with a name other than "god" as the named entity being addressed.  Which seemed to me to leave out a whole lot of dieties.

Themis
Cats will never be extinct!

#64 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,147 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 03:39 PM

^ Good to see you post Themis. Been a while since I've seen your name.
Can't Touch This!!

#65 Pallas

Pallas

Wicked--Like the Witch of the West

• Islander
  • 833 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 05:17 PM

Themis, on Apr 22 2005, 08:32 PM, said:

Kalistria, on Apr 22 2005, 06:43 PM, said:

Hinduism, which is the most obvious pantheistic religion out there, is also, monotheistic in a way. He is Brahama.

Buddhists don't pray to a god. Buddha was not a god; he was Enlightened. Buddhists seek Enlightenment by following the rules laid down by Buddha but they don't actually pray to him. That's the whole point of Nirvana--you can't get there unless you do this yourself.

So geographically or otherwise, praying to God is just that. Praying to the divinity of your faith. Unless, of course, you are specifing that God denotes Yahweh or Jesus, then that's another question all together.

Kalistria.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK, if "most Christians" begin a prayer "Dear God" or "God help me" or "God, I beseech you" - using "God" (or possibly "Lord") as a name rather than an entity, and "most" Christians in the South seem to begin a prayer "Dear Jesus" and "most" Muslims begin a prayer "Allah" - do Hindus say "Dear Brahama" and Buddhists not pray in this sense?  Just seriously curious.  For that matter, do Jews say "Jehova" or "Yawah?"  I seem to remember something about not speaking the name of god... How do members of differing faiths begin prayers?

But as to the statements that started the discussion, about  never hearing anyone pray to anyone but "God," I assumed, correctly or not, that he had never heard anyone pray to Jesus or Allah or Apollo or any being with a name other than "god" as the named entity being addressed.  Which seemed to me to leave out a whole lot of dieties.

Themis

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think Jewish people actually address God. Perhaps as Lord, Adonai but never God. It's forbidden to speak the Name of God, which is why it is written as YHWH, the initials of the Name of God. As far as I know, "Allah" is the name the Muslims address God in the same way the Jewish refer to Him as the Lord. Both are titles. The reason? The Third Commandment: Thou shalt not take the name of thy Lord in vain. To avoid violating that, they would refer to Him by "title" as it were.

I am not familiar with Hindu religious practices and I was mistaken earlier. Hinduism is henotheistic--one Supreme God that manifests in various ways--other gods. I think the Hindus pray to whatever aspect of God they worship but they wouldn't pray to Brahman directly. He is the Creator, the universe but he also transcends it. They worship one of his aspects, Vishnu or Shiva.

Buddha was not a god, he was human. He was born in India, a prince who was so stricken with the suffering of his people that he went among them to suffer with them. He managed to achieve enlightenment this way and his methods of achieving that were set down. Buddhism is more of a way of life and they don't pray. They seek enlightenment by living simply and personal reflection.

The problem with just saying "God" is that it automatically brings to mind the JudeoChristian monotheistic God, especially in the Western World.

Kalistria.
We can do noble acts without ruling the earth and sea--Aristotle

#66 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 09:32 PM

Themis said:

do [...] Buddhists not pray in this sense?

Kalistria said:

Buddhism is more of a way of life and they don't pray. They seek enlightenment by living simply and personal reflection.

However, there are words in Buddhism that are like prayer, although they're more like things to be mindful about while meditating -- I can't think of the one I really like, but the short version would be along the lines of "May all beings be free from suffering."
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#67 Pallas

Pallas

Wicked--Like the Witch of the West

• Islander
  • 833 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 10:00 PM

Errr...I think you mean mantras. That's a chant to focus one's mind while meditating.

Kalistria.
We can do noble acts without ruling the earth and sea--Aristotle

#68 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 11:52 AM

Handmaiden07, on Apr 22 2005, 11:23 AM, said:

Um... thank you... but at least in this thread, I can't take credit...  my religion inherently gives me guidance that says that I should try to find ways to get along with people of other faiths, and for me, that includes agnostics and atheists. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That kind of religious guidance makes sense to me.  :cool:

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Religion, Agnostic

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users