• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 Nonprofit

Nonprofit
  • Islander
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 10:35 PM

TechHarper Posted Today, 06:36 PM
Also, the only reason I made any statement at all was because Ru misunderstood my reason for asking G about his post. Ru apparently assumed I was attacking him when I was merely asking for clarification on a post that seemed well-thought out but I was having difficulty understanding how it fit into the rest of the thread.

Quite frankly, I think G's post would fit better as the opening for a thread discussing the reasons people hold particular political views. This thread degenerated quite quickly due in large part to the quality of the article that started it, but I think G's post and the topic involved in it would make an interesting discussion.

Actually TH,  you are right when you said G1223's post would fit better as the opening for a thread but that wasn't the case here.  However many original topics will generate some great replies, leading to some wonderful spin off topics such as G's contribution here.  Only in this thread you must get passed the cookies and the songs first.  I'm just sorry his post sort of got lost.

We shall not grow wiser before we learn that much that we have done was very foolish.
-- F. A. Hayek

#42 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 11:23 PM

I posted a example out of my life. But use it as the first post for another thread.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#43 Nonprofit

Nonprofit
  • Islander
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 11:40 PM

Glad to hear it wasn't wasted G.  Was an interesting read.

Thanks for adding it here for us to read.  :)

Ru

#44 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 11:51 PM

Lin731 said:

Ummmm...I think most of us DID contribute in a serious vein to the thread early on. It just sort of devolved from there. In all honesty though, to a degree the post got the response it deserved really.

I think that RuReddy doesn't appreciate the long-standing EI tradition, which sometimes even works, of trying to defuse certain threads by, for example, asking for doughnuts, or being completely irrelevant by, say, singing "Scarborough Fair". ;)

Chipper said:

fact is, neither side is good. they both suck.

I think that politics has become brainless and useless, and it's quite obvious to me that "the best and brightest" go into other fields -- they're certainly not in politics. The way our society's gone, with few people able to think critically, we get the politicians we deserve. "My side good, with God! Your side evil, with Satan!" *yawn*
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#45 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:09 AM

So pass the Hershey bars and graham crackers, folks, and here's Lin's request:

Awwww thanks Waterpanther...I'm misting up here!

When I said "they don't contribute at all," I meant the specific posts quoted (not the individuals who made them... sorry if that's the way it sounded  ). Also, the only reason I made any statement at all was because Ru misunderstood my reason for asking G about his post. Ru apparently assumed I was attacking him when I was merely asking for clarification on a post that seemed well-thought out but I was having difficulty understanding how it fit into the rest of the thread.

That's okay Techharper, I just didn't want you thinking we were flat out goofballs all the time. I mean we ARE goofballs but not always. FIRST we give a thoughtful response THEN we sing songs and make SMORES ;)

I think that RuReddy doesn't appreciate the long-standing EI tradition, which sometimes even works, of trying to defuse certain threads by, for example, asking for doughnuts, or being completely irrelevant by, say, singing "Scarborough Fair".

Norville,
Exacttttttttttttttttttttly! Sometimes a situation just calls for a donut run or a rousing chorus of Scarborough Fair.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#46 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:23 AM

Norville, on Apr 6 2005, 08:51 PM, said:

Lin731 said:

Ummmm...I think most of us DID contribute in a serious vein to the thread early on. It just sort of devolved from there. In all honesty though, to a degree the post got the response it deserved really.
I think that RuReddy doesn't appreciate the long-standing EI tradition, which sometimes even works, of trying to defuse certain threads by, for example, asking for doughnuts, or being completely irrelevant by, say, singing "Scarborough Fair". ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So that's what asking for doughnuts is all about here!  :oh:  I meant to ask.  :blush:

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#47 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:24 AM

It's an old, old habit, that's about as much use as an old, old donut. Speaking purely for myself, i've never liked the 'donut party' notion, anymore than forcefully dragging a thread off-topic by quoting songlyrics in it.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#48 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 12:00 PM

It's an old, old habit, that's about as much use as an old, old donut. Speaking purely for myself, i've never liked the 'donut party' notion, anymore than forcefully dragging a thread off-topic by quoting songlyrics in it.

What WAS the topic of this thread? Seemed more like a dissertation on evil Liberals than it was a topic to debate about.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#49 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 12:18 PM

Lin731, on Apr 7 2005, 09:00 AM, said:

What WAS the topic of this thread? Seemed more like a dissertation on evil Liberals than it was a topic to debate about.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It works!  It works!  :rolleyes:

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#50 Nonprofit

Nonprofit
  • Islander
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 01:04 PM

Lin731 Posted Today, 12:00 PM
What WAS the topic of this thread?

People with attitudes.

Steven_Q Posted Today, 10:24 AM

Yup,  I agree.

#51 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 04:37 PM

Truthfully, where's the point in "discussing" what was posted, which was another boring rant about eeeeevul liberals?  :Oo:  :eh:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#52 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 06:42 PM

I disagree that economic development is a liberal or conservative issue.  While there are larger laws that effect economic development, it is one of those grass roots functions - like on a municipal level.  Government can not take property without compensating the owner.  While the seller would like a higher price than market value of the property, gov't is purchasing that property with taxpayer dollars.  So, while Joe B. might like a million for his $100,000 mv property, he ain't a gonna get it because taxpayers would be screaming bloody murder if their dollars were misspent that way.  Furthermore, if you are familiar with case law, gov't can not take property under eminent domain to give/sell/clear the way for a new private owner just because the new private owner could generate a higher tax revenue on that property.  Gov't can only take property under eminent domain when the taking serves a public purpose.  That, however, does not preclude gov't from negotiating with property owners to purchase their property for a purpose such as the new Cowboys Football Stadium.  You can't force, but money talks and BS walks.

#53 Nonprofit

Nonprofit
  • Islander
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 02:30 PM

eloisel  Posted Yesterday, 06:42 PM
Government can not take property without compensating the owner. While the seller would like a higher price than market value of the property, gov't is purchasing that property with taxpayer dollars.

Gov't can only take property under eminent domain when the taking serves a public purpose. That, however, does not preclude gov't from negotiating with property owners to purchase their property for a purpose such as the new Cowboys Football Stadium. You can't force, but money talks and BS walks.

I couldn't agree more with you on this issue.  But in some cases the land owner may become land locked.   I have a buddy just over the border living in a very nice area but happens to be in the same area Chicago wants to build their 3rd airport.  Only in the last several years, they have actually been buying some of the land within the footprint of the airport plans.  Some people were willing to sell off their property to the airport folks.  But my buddy has had his house on the market for years.  No one will buy it because of its location and the airport folks won't buy it yet because its market value is too high. So he is stuck in that strange place which he calls land locked.  Poor guy and its all because they "might someday" build an airport which they have been trying to build for over 20 years now.  

Its a political nightmare for the folks living in that area.  This has flipped flopped from the right to the left many times with different deals that have been made over the years.  He wishes that they would just buy it or bury it.

RuReddy

#54 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 11:59 PM

It is interesting that the market value on his home is still too high when he lives in a area that has no market.  There may be other factors involved, such as litigation over other parcels of land, that is stopping the project from moving forward.  Maybe things will start happening for him when the Kelo case ruling comes down.

Mostly I see gov't takings in situations such as road expansion or right of way and easements for utilities and drainage.  I know of one property two streets from me that was taken when that major thoroughfare was widened.  I can understand why the owner did not want to sell.  He and his family had lived in that property for more than 50 years.  His wife was elderly and bedridden and their elderly daughter also lived with them and required in-home medical care.  The project of widening the road was put off for several years until the wife had passed and then the man was not only paid the market value - not the appraised value which was much lower - as well as given a quite generous payment for relocating including a temporary home rental for nearly half a year and moving costs.  Those of us in the older houses two streets over wish they'd come make us that offer - we'd all take it!!  As much as I love my old neighborhood full of trees, I think I'd enjoy living in a newer house with fewer problems.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Politics-American, Liberals, Attitudes

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users