Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Sex With Minors: Teachers & Students

Crime Sex with minors teachers students

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 11:01 AM

City Teachers Charged In String Of Sex Cases

Apr 21, 2005 7:32 am US/Eastern
(1010 WINS) NEW YORK Five schoolteachers have been accused of having sexual contact with their students since last week, spurring the city's top education official to announce a crackdown on sex in schools.

The latest case was announced Wednesday, as Joanna Hernandez, 27, was arraigned on charges of sexual abuse and endangering the welfare of a minor for allegedly kissing a 15-year-old student in an empty classroom. Hernandez pleaded innocent.

Two other female teachers, both faculty members at the High School for Health Professions and Human Services in Manhattan, were removed from their classrooms last week.

Rhianna Ellis, 25, has been accused of having a sexual relationship with an 18-year-old student, while Samantha Solomon, 29, allegedly had sex with a 17-year-old student.

Ellis has said she plans to resign, and disciplinary proceedings against Solomon were pending.

Two male teachers also faced charges last week. Jermaine Reid, 27, was accused of having sexual relations with two female students, ages 16 and 18, at two different schools. Joseph Morales, 28, was charged with public lewdness and endangering the welfare of minors after he allegedly exposed himself repeatedly in public places on Staten Island.

Officials said Reid has not reported to work since the charges were filed.

On Tuesday, Schools Chancellor Joel Klein wrote an e-mail to principals that he would ``use all means at my disposal'' to remove sex offenders from schools and prosecute them.

WTF?!  :angry: What kind of background checks are being done on these people before they are hired?! One teacher is bad enough-BUT FIVE?! :glare:

Sheeeeeesh!!!!!!!!  :angry:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#2 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,328 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 11:07 AM

This is nothing new.  I'm impressed that we are talking about students who are older (16 - 18).  When I was in Junior High School in NYC teachers were frequently known to fondle or otherwise inappropriately touch students, and I knew of at least one case of a teacher having sexual relations with a 13 year old, and I knew of another case of a teacher with a penchant for having little girls "sit on his lap." :(

I think the issue needs to be looked at quite a bit more broadly than it has ever been looked at.

HM07

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#3 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 12:16 PM

Handmaiden07, on Apr 21 2005, 11:07 AM, said:

This is nothing new.  I'm impressed that we are talking about students who are older (16 - 18).  When I was in Junior High School in NYC teachers were frequently known to fondle or otherwise inappropriately touch students, and I knew of at least one case of a teacher having sexual relations with a 13 year old, and I knew of another case of a teacher with a penchant for having little girls "sit on his lap." :(

I think the issue needs to be looked at quite a bit more broadly than it has ever been looked at.

HM07

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

On a slightly related subject...

My bus attendant and I were having a conversation about inappropriately-dressed young people (kids who walked around in sexually suggestive clothing). One thing I brought up was my strong dislike of certain Catholic schools having teen-age girls wearing those short shirts that are part of their uniform.  :glare: This almost seems to be the norm at most Catholic schools.

I know if I was a dad, I wouldn't want my daughter wearing those things.  :angry: It's bad enough when you have horny boys-you don't want some horndog TEACHER looking over your kid.  Who designs those girls' outfits, anyway??  :suspect:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#4 Smiley

Smiley

harumph

• Islander
  • 937 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 02:02 PM

^^ I think it was God who created them....Yeah God! :)

What surprizes me is how many more women seem to be having sex with students. Who wants to sleep with a 13-17 year old boy? (You in the back....hands down). Yuk. I can see how it happens though....young teacher....the classroom....a school girl fantasy. :)

But seriously you would hope they (teacher & students) would know better. I mean some of those girls are really pretty, but they just look like wee babies. I'm not even that much older than they are and it is just wrong. I don't mind the looking...it's the acting on it that's the problem.

Edited by Vicious Maggot, 21 April 2005 - 02:03 PM.

Friends are just enemies that don't have the guts to kill you.
See Ya Space Cowboy

#5 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,328 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 02:25 PM

CONTROVERSIAL POST:

We discussed some time back the idea of separating boys from girls in school... lots of reasons were given why this might be considered discriminatory.  But here's a good enough reason - to have male teachers for male students, and female teachers for female students.  There's time enough to integrate the sexes, and their entire lives are not segregated... but the vulnerability of teens, the fact that their hormones are now wide awake, and the fact that many teachers JUST left their teens themselves, makes for a potentially disasterous situation.

A 25 year old woman is usually much more mature than a 17-18 year old boy, but an 18 year old boy is often taller than many 25 year old women, has emerged from puberty with manly features, and is beginning to grow into manhood.  It doesn't strike me as so odd that a 25 year old woman would find herself attracted to a 17 or 18 year old boy.  Ten years from now, she'll be 35 and he'll be 27 or 28.  That's not an unreasonable match.  What makes it unreasonable at this stage are two things: 1.  He's JUST arrived into manhood, and she shouldn't be hawking like a vulture to pick at his innocence (never mind that lots of boys this age aren't "innocent" and are likely hitting on the teacher.  The point is that mentally they aren't where she is). 2. She's in authority over him.

Likewise, male teachers finding themselves attracted to 16 and 17 year old girls are in an awkward position.  Young girls that age are flirts.  They WANT to feel the extent of their powers of attraction, and their hormones are driving them in ways they don't even understand.  A guy who's only a few years older than these girls, who at this age are far more aggressive than people might think, is pretty vulnerable.

Again - I hold the teachers firmly responsible for their behaviors.  But there is a certain age when I think that schools, and society have to exercise a bit more responsibility - have to acknowledge the reality that this is a vulnerable and explosive combination, and that we live in a society that is oversexed in the first place, that cultural mores are in transition, making things that once seemed absolutely wrong suddenly maybe not "so bad," and need to make adjustments in the classroom that reflect these realities.

HM07

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#6 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 04:37 PM

I understand what you're saying, HM. You do bring up some valid points-but then again, this is also the kind of talk that eventually resulted in things like a high school for homosexual kids.  :eh:  So, I have mixed feelings.

BTW-you being a parent HM, I'm curious to know what you think of my comments on the dresses girls wear for Catholic schools. I'd much prefer pants.

Edited by Digital Man, 21 April 2005 - 04:42 PM.

Posted Image

#7 ZipperInt

ZipperInt
  • Islander
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 04:45 PM

^^Longer skirts would work as well. I can't understand the reasoning behind those kinds of uniforms, as I imagine the girls wearing them would get rather cold in poor weather.

I don't think that segregation of genders is the answer, neverminding the pratical concerns behind it, but I do think that any kind of unprofessional contact between students/teachers should result in various forms of discipline to the teachers, who should really know better.
The second greatest podcast in the history of ever:
http://geeksonaplain.blogspot.com/

#8 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 04:47 PM

Digital Man, on Apr 21 2005, 09:16 AM, said:

My bus attendant and I were having a conversation about inappropriately-dressed young people (kids who walked around in sexually suggestive clothing). One thing I brought up was my strong dislike of certain Catholic schools having teen-age girls wearing those short shirts that are part of their uniform.  :glare: This almost seems to be the norm at most Catholic schools.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  The girls roll their skirts up as soon as they're out of view of the nuns.  Something we couldn't do back in the Bad Old Days.  We had the evil gabardine jumpers.  :barf:  :barf:  :barf:  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#9 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 04:51 PM

Vicious Maggot writes (re: girls' skirts at parochial schools):

I think it was God who created them....Yeah God! :)

Sorry-but underage girls shouldn't be wearing stuff like that IMO, for the reasons HM said. That's irresponsible thinking on the part of TPTB who run those schools.  :glare: When the girls become adults, that's a different story. Until then-pants or dresses that end below the knees.

What surprizes me is how many more women seem to be having sex with students. Who wants to sleep with a 13-17 year old boy? (You in the back....hands down). Yuk. I can see how it happens though....young teacher....the classroom....a school girl fantasy. :)

But seriously you would hope they (teacher & students) would know better. I mean some of those girls are really pretty, but they just look like wee babies. I'm not even that much older than they are and it is just wrong. I don't mind the looking...it's the acting on it that's the problem.

I still think the burden of responsiblity falls on the adults, since they SHOULD have the perspective on their side.

:eh:

Edited by Digital Man, 21 April 2005 - 05:18 PM.

Posted Image

#10 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 04:52 PM

Digital Man, on Apr 21 2005, 01:37 PM, said:

BTW-you being a parent HM, I'm curious to know what you think of my comments on the dresses girls wear for Catholic schools. I'd much prefer pants.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pants?!  On Catholic school girls?!!  Surely you jest!!!  The nuns would have kittens!!!!  :eek2:  :p  :p  :p  :p  :p

ZipperInt, on Apr 21 2005, 01:45 PM, said:

^^Longer skirts would work as well. I can't understand the reasoning behind those kinds of uniforms, as I imagine the girls wearing them would get rather cold in poor weather.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Back in the Bad Old Days, we couldn't even wear pants in public school.  At my high school (thanks, Mom, for not making me go to the local Catholic girls high, aka the Old Nuns Home  :) ) we were grudgingly allowed to wear pants to and from school in cold weather so long as we got them off and hidden in our lockers before the first bell.  :rolleyes:

Nonny
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#11 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 04:56 PM

Nonny, on Apr 21 2005, 04:52 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pants?!  On Catholic school girls?!!  Surely you jest!!!  The nuns would have kittens!!!!  :eek2:  :p  :p  :p  :p  :p

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I went to parochial school for my first 8 years of education, so I know a thing or two about the Dreaded Penguin Ladies. :p~

Having been in that environment, some of those dresses girls wore were VERY short.  :eek4: And things don't seem to have changed.  :Oo:
Posted Image

#12 ZipperInt

ZipperInt
  • Islander
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 04:56 PM

Any idea on the reasoning behind that fashion code?
The second greatest podcast in the history of ever:
http://geeksonaplain.blogspot.com/

#13 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 05:01 PM

ZipperInt, on Apr 21 2005, 04:56 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Damned good question.  :Oo: Maybe horny male designers were behind them.  :eek4: I simply don't see the logic. Girls freeze in the winter, and HM aptly outlined the hormonal changes in boys.  :ninja:

The less advertising, the better.

Posted Image

#14 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 05:13 PM

ZipperInt, on Apr 21 2005, 01:56 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep.  To line the pockets of the Catholic manufacturers of school uniforms.  :pout:  Pricey items, Catholic school uniforms.  :pout:  :pout:

Nonny
Posted Image

#15 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 05:15 PM

Nonny, on Apr 21 2005, 05:13 PM, said:

ZipperInt, on Apr 21 2005, 01:56 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep.  To line the pockets of the Catholic manufacturers of school uniforms.  :pout:  Pricey items, Catholic school uniforms.  :pout:  :pout:

Nonny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And again-I'd like to know how many of those designers were MEN.

:suspect:  :suspect:  :suspect:
Posted Image

#16 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,226 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 05:16 PM

I had to read your post twice.

Handmaiden07, on Apr 21 2005, 03:25 PM, said:

CONTROVERSIAL POST:

A 25 year old woman is usually much more mature than a 17-18 year old boy, but an 18 year old boy is often taller than many 25 year old women, has emerged from puberty with manly features, and is beginning to grow into manhood.  It doesn't strike me as so odd that a 25 year old woman would find herself attracted to a 17 or 18 year old boy.  Ten years from now, she'll be 35 and he'll be 27 or 28.  That's not an unreasonable match.  What makes it unreasonable at this stage are two things: 1.  He's JUST arrived into manhood, and she shouldn't be hawking like a vulture to pick at his innocence (never mind that lots of boys this age aren't "innocent" and are likely hitting on the teacher.  The point is that mentally they aren't where she is). 2. She's in authority over him.

Likewise, male teachers finding themselves attracted to 16 and 17 year old girls are in an awkward position.  Young girls that age are flirts.  They WANT to feel the extent of their powers of attraction, and their hormones are driving them in ways they don't even understand.  A guy who's only a few years older than these girls, who at this age are far more aggressive than people might think, is pretty vulnerable.
HM07

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now I know you didn't mean it this way, but I have a weird way at looking at wording ;) It almost seems you're subconsiously putting the fault on the females in these situations (of course, next you say hold the teachers firmly responsible for their behavour).

In the first case: teenage boy, female teacher: You say it *doesn't* strike you as odd she'd be attracted to him (if she was mid-20s), and *she* shouldn't be *going after* him.

In the second case: teenage girls, male teacher: the young girls are *flirts*, the male teachers are "vulnerable"

You make it sound like the guys wouldn't be getting into these situations if it wasn't for those wiley women!
Is this subconsious and unintentional? Because I don't see you doing that intentionally ;) :D

Now me, Even at 17/18, I wasn't attracted to those boys :p nor was I attracted to older ones, or younger ones, I had zero interest in males. Sure I could appreciate their form once in a while, but people on the whole didn't really impress me ;) high standards :D
And I ain't a flirt.... of course maybe I just wasn't attractive enough to extend any powers ;) maybe if I had been dropped dead gorgeous I would have been doing the same thing ;) :D
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#17 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 06:09 PM

I don't think any change in standards of conduct for teachers is either necessary or wise. Most teachers attract certain students, who flirt with them, come on to them and otherwise idolize them. A good teacher knows this and keeps things professional with students. It seems to me that some of you are saying the kids are asking for whatever they get and that adults shouldn't be held responsible for abuse of authority (not to mention poor impulse control and complete absence of common sense  :hehe: ) I just don't buy that.

Edited by Rhea, 21 April 2005 - 06:09 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#18 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,226 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 06:27 PM

Nonny, on Apr 21 2005, 05:52 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nonny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As long as they are conceived immaculately ;) :D
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#19 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,328 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 06:41 PM

Digital Man, on Apr 21 2005, 05:37 PM, said:

I understand what you're saying, HM. You do bring up some valid points-but then again, this is also the kind of talk that eventually resulted in things like a high school for homosexual kids.  :eh:  So, I have mixed feelings.

I don't find the arguments similar.  But even if it were similar, statistically speaking, homosexual kids are a minority of the kids, as would be homosexual teachers, if the jobs were valued properly (another discussion entirely).  So the problem is minimized if not removed by having same-sex schools.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, when I was pregnant, I had to think about this, because I didn't know if my baby was going to be a boy or a girl.  I was Muslim at the time, and knew that there was no way my daughter would go to school wearing something like that.  I considered putting my child in Islamic school, briefly, both because of not wanting my son around girls dressed that way, or not wanting my daughter being ostracized for not dressing that way... but there was no question in my mind that no daughter of mine was going to dress that way.  School uniform or no - my plan, if it had ever come to that, was to have my daughter wear the boys' pants, or wear pants under the required skirt.

Interestingly, I remember growing up when the mini-skirt was in style, and  my mother bought one for me.  I remember being mortified going to school and finding out that boys considered it great fun to look up girl's skirts.  My girlfriends told me the secret of wearing shorts under the skirt and that became policy from then on.

Digital Man, on Apr 21 2005, 06:01 PM, said:

HM aptly outlined the hormonal changes in boys.  :ninja:

The less advertising, the better.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah.  Girls have hormones too.  And there is such a thing as teen pregnancy...

sierraleone, on Apr 21 2005, 06:16 PM, said:

You make it sound like the guys wouldn't be getting into these situations if it wasn't for those wiley women!
Is this subconsious and unintentional? Because I don't see you doing that intentionally ;) :D

If it came across this way, I apologize.  Certainly not my intent.  My intent with that post was to react against stereotype.  In this thread even, we express surprise that it is female teachers doing this, and of course we all know that male teachers are going to be the predatory ones in any such situation.  In fact, the sexual issues on both sides, male/female, student/teacher are quite blurry when the ages are so close, with youth past puberty and beginning adulthood, and teachers just out of teenagerhood.  

Now me, Even at 17/18, I wasn't attracted to those boys :p nor was I attracted to older ones, or younger ones, I had zero interest in males. Sure I could appreciate their form once in a while, but people on the whole didn't really impress me ;) high standards :D
And I ain't a flirt.... of course maybe I just wasn't attractive enough to extend any powers ;) maybe if I had been dropped dead gorgeous I would have been doing the same thing ;) :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL!  Yeah, I know not all, or even most girls are like this.  Nor are most boys inclined to come on to their teachers.  But it happens.  I mean, I'm 37, and I still on occasion find young boys attempting to "hit" on me.  I sometimes wonder what on earth could be going through their heads, but mostly I think its just a bit of bravado on their part, coupled with raging hormones.  And, I was indeed one of those flirty girls in high school, so I know all about that.

HM07

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#20 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 06:46 PM

sierraleone, on Apr 21 2005, 03:27 PM, said:

Nonny, on Apr 21 2005, 05:52 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nonny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As long as they are conceived immaculately ;) :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

And on that note, gotta run.  Well, gotta pack first, then gotta run.  Or, more accurately, drive.  :rolleyes:  I get to see Eric Idle Sunday!  :happy:  :happy:  :happy:

Nonny
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Crime, Sex with minors, teachers, students

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users