66 replies to this topic

#61 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 09:25 PM

Digital Man, on Apr 23 2005, 07:25 AM, said:

nutmeg, on Apr 22 2005, 12:15 AM, said:

I have been a teacher for 20+ years. It's very simple. Adults don't have sex with children, period. No excuses. Teachers don't have sex with students, period.  No excuses.

nutmeg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What she said.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That makes three of us.

In fairness, what I said to the Handmaiden about segregating sexes is that it's an interesting discussion, but IMO unrelated to the questions of teachers who have sex with their students, because regardless the problem wouldn't resolve itself, especially if there's a pathology involved. In other words, teachers inclined to have sex with students are going to have sex with students. They should be prosecuted. Period.

The question of how to make teachers aware of how wrong and sometimes just plain sick such behavior is is a good one. We train teachers to teach; we should also train them on how to conduct themselves so that they're a role model for their students. I work with a number of really fine teachers - and from what I've seen most teachers are overworked, underpaid and do their jobs out of a love for teaching.  In the current climate, with the President instituting and under-funding the No Child Left Behind act, they're REALLY going to have to stay on out of love for the job because now they're not only NOT getting paid what they're worth, but they're having to jump through hoops to prove to the Feds that they're worthy to be teaching in the first place.  :unsure:  :angry:

Unfortunately, just as in the general population, there are always going to be the odd teachers with emotional problems or who are just plain sick. Sad, but the whole profession shouldn't be held to task for the problems of a few.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#62 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 10:32 PM

Rhea, on Apr 23 2005, 09:25 PM, said:

The question of how to make teachers aware of how wrong and sometimes just plain sick such behavior is is a good one. We train teachers to teach; we should also train them on how to conduct themselves so that they're a role model for their students.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What's sickening is that such a question has to be posed in the first place.  :glare: :barf:  :crazy:  :wacko:

We might be sexual beings, but sheesh....!! I bet this is one of the reasons some parents, if they could, would try for home schooling or a private tutor if they could afford it.   :eh:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#63 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 06:31 AM

Me: It seems that this kind of over-identification with adolescents may be at the root of the problem. Certainly, that is harder for young teachers, which is why I think all schools ought to assign the young'uns to mentors who can help them deal with relationships with students--negative and positive--like adult professionals.

Anakam: I absolutely agree, but unless an older teacher assigns themselves to someone unofficially during a mutual planning hour or lunch or something, I really don't see it happening very widely.

Yep, I wondered about how to implement a mentoring program for beginning teachers, too. Whenever I've heard about mentoring, I've thought it a good idea, but, having been a teacher, I've wondered how on earth a mentor is supposed to find more time in the day.

In order for mentoring to work, I think that first-year teachers should be assigned to co-teach for a year with a more seasoned pro. This would necessarily put the two in close contact so that the younger teacher could observe how the older deals with students (and teaching, of course) and so that the older could observe the younger. This could be enormously helpful to both, and ultimately to the students. Of course, it would cost $. But since starting salaries tend to be low and senior faculty's salaries tend to be high, I think an argument could be made for it.

Most of what I learned about teaching came from those lunch table/ teacher's lounge discussions I had with older, more experienced teachers who gave me invaluable advice on how to deal with students with crushes, students with attitudes, underperforming students, etc.  The values of a school are communicated in those settings. Unfortunately, they're brief and much depends on the luck of the draw. Not every older teacher at the lunch table is necessarily wiser.

HandMaiden made an excellent point up there somewhere about how a young high school teacher is often not so far removed in age from his/her students. A solid mentoring program could, I think, help the young teacher acquire the necessary professional distance from students that are almost old enough to be peers.

Edited by Spectacles, 24 April 2005 - 06:32 AM.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#64 ZipperInt

ZipperInt
  • Islander
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 01:58 PM

Do they have 'student teachers' in the US? These would be teachers who haven't completed their education certificate yet, but work with regular teachers to conduct classes/help students.
The second greatest podcast in the history of ever:
http://geeksonaplain.blogspot.com/

#65 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 02:17 PM

ZipperInt, on Apr 24 2005, 02:58 PM, said:

Do they have 'student teachers' in the US? These would be teachers who haven't completed their education certificate yet, but work with regular teachers to conduct classes/help students.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes ZipperInt but that is in your last year of college (for you Brits university) so you are generally 20 or 21. Once you receive your Bachelor's degree you also get your teaching certificate if you were in an education program. Although it may still be a provisional one it still allows you to be hired to any teaching position on your own.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#66 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 06:56 PM

The Mary Kay LaTourneau/Vili Palaou interview starts Thursday on ET and The Insider.

I'm one of those in the never category and I'm not even sure I want to watch this at all but I thought I'd mention it in case there was any interest.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#67 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 12:53 PM

Avalon, on Apr 21 2005, 07:06 PM, said:

Nonny, on Apr 21 2005, 07:46 PM, said:

I get to see Eric Idle Sunday!  :happy:  :happy:  :happy:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WHAT?!!!   :eek4:   You get to see Spamalot?  My daughter's been bugging me to take her for ages.  Or is EI appearing by himself in some other venue on Sunday?  [Invader Zim]TELLLL meeeee![/Invader Zim]  

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Other venue.  LA Festival of Books.  :)  One of the questions he was asked was how soon will Spamalot come to LA.  :)  I'll post more about it at General Media Discussion, later, if I ever make it there.  Much catching up today!  :rolleyes:

Avalon, on Apr 21 2005, 07:06 PM, said:

I did!  :happy:  :happy:  :happy:

Vicious Maggot, on Apr 22 2005, 07:41 PM, said:

Their were two Catholic schools by his school. One girls, one boys. The big thing seemed to be meeting at the park halfway between and desegregating.  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Our local Catholic high schools for girls and boys were just down the beach from each other, and much desegregating was done there too.  :p  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Crime, Sex with minors, teachers, students

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users