The science in THE CORE

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,915 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 05:54 AM

Here's Phil Plait's spoiler review of the science mistakes in The Core, a subject a lot of folks here have been talking and wondering about for a while now.  I haven't seen the film yet, but I don't mind being spoiled.  Anyway, it sounds like the screenwriter's defense of the science in the movie doesn't quite hold up to analysis:

http://www.badastron...ore_review.html

The most interesting part to me was the one about the suspension bridge.  Once he mentioned that there was a problem with having the towers bend inward, it only took me a couple of seconds to figure it out, and then to smack myself on the forehead for not seeing it right away.

(Also a bit disappointing at the end to see Plait rather handily demolish Herndon's theory that there's a nuclear reactor in the Earth's core creating the magnetic field.  I was always skeptical, but it was an interesting idea.)
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#2 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 06:11 AM

This article gave me one of those "Doh" moments, when you just realize how stupid you were being. I should have immediately thought of the neutrinos as soon as I read about the theory of the Earth's core as a nuclear reactor. It is a relatively easily testable claim for the theory that wouldn't even require any new infrastructure and if they don't find any Earth neutrino signature on the background then it pretty much sounds the death kneal for this theory.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users