• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 12 April 2003 - 08:56 PM

I would be more inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt as to his motive for concealing the stories if his disclosure didn't read as someone trying to now capitalize on it.

Lil
Posted Image

#22 Aurora335

Aurora335

not a force to be reckoned with

• Islander
  • 634 posts

Posted 12 April 2003 - 11:48 PM

the'Hawk, on Apr 12 2003, 11:25 AM, said:

^ But why? He doesn't have any moral obligation to tell the truth of what's going on--------

Wait a minute. He's a journalist. Of course he does.
As an aspiring journalist, I can understand his motivations for keeping silent, even if I don't agree with them.

I have been told things by sources that are "off the record," and I would love to have them in print, but no one is going to be under threat of death if I happen to print the information.

#23 Bossy

Bossy

Chaos Personified

• Islander
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 01:41 AM

I can see his dilema. One could make a case that morally he should have spoke up, shouted out the world what was happening. To do so would have gotten a number of his coworkers, and possibly their families, tourtured or killed. I can only imagine the relief, and one would suspect guilt, that he is feeling now.

The only thing that I wonder is this, did he or CNN pass this information on two our goverment? I've always thought that there was far more known about the Iraqi regime than what we were told.
Bossy

Kryptonite, silver bullet, Buffy? Dammit, what does it take to keep you in the grave? - John to Scorpy

And what the hell is Succubitch doing here? - Lorne

Captain, your presence here has not been overly meddlesome. - Ambassador Soval

.... it'll only induce me to acts of eloquence and mayhem. - Hawk

#24 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 01:43 AM

Bossy, on Apr 12 2003, 06:30 PM, said:

The only thing that I wonder is this, did he or CNN pass this information on two our goverment? I've always thought that there was far more known about the Iraqi regime than what we were told.
I'd have to presume that by keeping his peace about that, he meant in its entirety.

But I would not doubt that whatever he knew, the CIA knew anyway. (At least, that's my hope.)

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#25 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

goddess of love and blowing things up

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 06:58 PM

Iraq already had accused CNN's staff of being "spies" for the CIA.  Going so far as to threaten any journalist who showed up on their network.

Other news institutions, Reuters and AP, for example, begged, in Eason Jordan's words, for CNN not to use their reporters info--having them call in, for example, to be interviewed on air.

Normally, and as we have seen in the war coverage, that kind of promotion for your paper/news service would be a boon. Boost your profile. In Iraq, it was literally life threatening.

Those of you who are so very sure in your condemnation need to think about this.  Risk your own life--that's a calculation any journalist must make  in the circumstances. But they were risking the lives of every single person they talked to, or who aided them in interpretation or security or just simple logistics.

How would you handle it, if even by the very act of talking to someone you caused them to be "disappeared"? Because you were being "minded", often by Iraqi Intelligence,  they knew exactly who you were talking to. And this was a regime that killed people and their families for talking out of turn.

The more I see and read about this, the more clearly the pressure these folks were under is delineated. The same thing is true for ANY reporting done under a repressive government--of which examples are thick on the ground.

Bitch, whine, and complain as we might about "slanted" coverage, thank your lucky stars if you do indeed enjoy a press free from government control.

And, having watched the live feed of Brent Sandler's crew going into Tikrit,  and escaping under gunfire, I'm putting it forth as exhibit A that not all courage wears a uniform.

Free press is not a luxury, but it is a necessity that is often rationed. And if you ever see a "Ministry of Information", you're likely seeing a country where any reporting that comes out to us is scrutinized and controlled in just the way Iraq did, in kind if not in degree.

Ro

Edited by Ro-Astarte, 13 April 2003 - 07:31 PM.

#26 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 07:43 PM

I am saying the guy should have said soemthing to his anchors. Stop having the administration from having to feel that they were underattack by CNN.

Notice I did not say tell the world what he knew or allewed to what he knew just do not protraty Iraq as the poorvictim of Bush. Esically when word is comming out to how monstrtous he is turning out to be.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#27 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 07:49 PM

G1223, on Apr 13 2003, 11:32 AM, said:

I am saying the guy should have said soemthing to his anchors. Stop having the administration from having to feel that they were underattack by CNN.

Notice I did not say tell the world what he knew or allewed to what he knew just do not protraty Iraq as the poorvictim of Bush. Esically when word is comming out to how monstrtous he is turning out to be.
^^ To what purpose, G? Assuming he didn't, which I didn't see mentioned either way in the article.  

He did talk very specifically with all the CNN staff sent to Baghdad, from the interview I saw (on CNN, of course). What difference do you think speaking to the anchors sitting in Atlanta and New York was going to make except increase the possibility of a slip up that could cost people torture or their lives?

Ro

#28 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 07:56 PM

Yes becasue basically CNN appeared to a number of folks has having  their hearts and minds along side Saddam during the war. Basically this looks to me like the guy is trying to say "We were not a tool of the Information ministy. We were trying to.... ah save lives yeah save the lives of our sources inside Iraq"

In short Covering his ass and his network's as well.

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#29 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 08:05 PM

Interesting, since much of the international opinion is that CNN is too prone to accept the US gov'ts statements at face value.  They're accused of spinning for the Bushies.

Ironic, ain't it?

Ro

#30 Evee

Evee
  • Islander
  • 350 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 08:05 PM

Ro, thank you!!!!!!  Beautifully said!!!!!!!

This thread has had me so upset I didn't dare post to it.  I still can't think clearly enough to say much, but you said it so well.

I think it's easy to forget, living here, how rare protected free speech is, and how relatively new the pervasiveness of satellite-delivered news is.  American news networks discovered, more than a decade ago, that their newscasts were being monitored everywhere.  And that there was no way to protect foreign citizens who took their own lives in their hands and spoke on-camera with American news services.  And the networks started closing ranks to protect the innocent.

Independent journalists who gained access to repressed societies often went back to follow up with people they had interviewed, only to find that their sources had 'disappeared,' along with their familes.  Who the hell wants that on their conscience?

The thought of Brent Sandler and his crew still knots my stomach.

If you've never worked in a country where free speech is a certain punishable offense, I don't know anything I can say that would explain how frightening it is.  And my experience is miniscule compared to what the folks you're watching on the news every night are going through.

Said enough.  Thanks again, Ro.

e.v.

#31 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 08:29 PM

I too didn't want to go against the tide of disgust, but in fact, there was nothing this reporter could do except try to protect the sources that he was using. No one in this country's mainstream press has ever denied the terrible atrocities that went on under Saddam. It's not like CNN or any of their reporters discovered there were atrocities in what looked outwardly like a democratic society ruled by law and covered up that fact. If the implication is that the US might have gone in sooner had it known the specifics of these atrocities, that's a false assumption. If our primary goal was to free Iraqis from Saddam's brutality, we would have kept going to Baghdad in 1991 or would have intervened when the Kurds were gassed in 1988.

And unless you use FOX news as the standard, CNN has practically been a cheering section for the military. I watch them regularly and know that to be the case.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#32 Evee

Evee
  • Islander
  • 350 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 08:36 PM

G1223, on Apr 13 2003, 04:45 PM, said:

Yes becasue basically CNN appeared to a number of folks has having  their hearts and minds along side Saddam during the war. Basically this looks to me like the guy is trying to say "We were not a tool of the Information ministy. We were trying to.... ah save lives yeah save the lives of our sources inside Iraq"

In short Covering his ass and his network's as well.
And people would believe that......why?

I'm sure the anchors knew.  They would need to be alerted so they wouldn't inadvertently ask the wrong questions during live talk-back segments.

Anchors generally have editorial input, but they aren't the final arbiter of what goes into a story or on the air.  That's editorial policy decided by the news director or EP or another news manager.   Anchors don't offer their opinion unless they're doing a labelled commentary.  That's not their job.

e.v.

#33 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 10:44 PM

Evee, on Apr 13 2003, 11:54 AM, said:

Independent journalists who gained access to repressed societies often went back to follow up with people they had interviewed, only to find that their sources had 'disappeared,' along with their familes.  Who the hell wants that on their conscience?

The thought of Brent Sandler and his crew still knots my stomach.

If you've never worked in a country where free speech is a certain punishable offense, I don't know anything I can say that would explain how frightening it is.  And my experience is miniscule compared to what the folks you're watching on the news every night are going through.

Said enough.  Thanks again, Ro.

e.v.
You're most welcome, for my part.  :blush:  Just speaking the truth as I see it, and feeling very fortunate to be able to do so.

Sounds like you have a much more than theoretical knowledge of this. I'm sorry to know that, but I thank you for ratifying what I was trying to get across.

Speak out, and listen up, y'all!!!   :alien:

Ro

eta:  I was about to go to bed when I checked CNN and  the live feed as Brent and the CNN convoy were driving up the west side of Tikrit.  It was amazing footage, and particularly unnerving to watch live. Any moment, literally, the quiet deserted landscape could have turned deadly.  When they decided to turn into Tikrit itself, I started chanting (praying) for their safety.

When the gunfire erupted, (which they returned as they ran the checkpoint) and then they were followed, I really wondered if they were going to die or be captured.

Thankfully, they seemed to be putting speed and distance between themselves and danger.

Ro

Edited by Ro-Astarte, 13 April 2003 - 11:08 PM.

#34 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 01:45 AM

You guys want to check out Rov' discovery from the Washington post editorial. Seems that CNN had a money making scheme as well as "balanced" reporting going on.

Maybe a signature, "Looking for truth Watch anything but CNN"

TANSTAAFL

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Journalism, CNN, Cover-up

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users