185 replies to this topic

#181 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:25 AM

[quote name='sierraleone' date='May 5 2005, 03:32 AM']
[quote name='Nonny' date='May 4 2005, 12:25 PM'][quote name='eloisel' date='May 3 2005, 03:49 PM']
The line "lives were saved by commitee" make my blood boil (I guess thats why I can't resolve myself to think of placing any restrictions on abortions.... because then someone would have to approve it, and thats just unacceptable in my opinion, for what is for some a live-saving operation...)
[right]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/right]
[/quote]

Welcome to law making. We place restrictions on all sorts of activities. We prevnt people from getting revenge on someone who has done another injury. We place restrictions on people who commit crimes from having the full rights of being a citizen because of their crimes.

There are people who are women who would do all they could to save the life of a unborn child. If they do in a legal manner they should be allowed to have input to the abortion laws of their area. Otherwise why allow anyone opposed to your viewpoint freedom to act. Besides to watch them fail time and again like a sort of child burning ants with a lighter.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#182 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 06:41 AM

[quote name='G1223' date='May 5 2005, 03:25 AM']
[quote name='sierraleone' date='May 5 2005, 03:32 AM']
[quote name='Nonny' date='May 4 2005, 12:25 PM'][quote name='eloisel' date='May 3 2005, 03:49 PM']
The line "lives were saved by commitee" make my blood boil (I guess thats why I can't resolve myself to think of placing any restrictions on abortions.... because then someone would have to approve it, and thats just unacceptable in my opinion, for what is for some a live-saving operation...)
[/quote]

Welcome to law making. We place restrictions on all sorts of activities. We prevnt people from getting revenge on someone who has done another injury. We place restrictions on people who commit crimes from having the full rights of being a citizen because of their crimes.

There are people who are women who would do all they could to save the life of a unborn child. If they do in a legal manner they should be allowed to have input to the abortion laws of their area. Otherwise why allow anyone opposed to your viewpoint freedom to act. Besides to watch them fail time and again like a sort of child burning ants with a lighter.
[/quote]

The quote I quoted refered to *lives* being saved by comittee, so I was refering to the delay on getting an abortion when your life depends on it.... there should be no restrictions, no committee, on that. Of course some people are welcome to disagree... I can understand why some people would choose to believe a restriction should be placed on other abortions depending on the reason. Though it concerns me, if restrictions were placed on non-life-threatening abortions even, if a women is turned down, some will choose to get a dangerous illegal abortion, putting both mother and child at risk.

And they are free to act however they'd like in their own life, whether they have an abortion or not, if the situation ever comes up.

Edited by sierraleone, 05 May 2005 - 06:42 AM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#183 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 11:54 AM

G1223, on May 4 2005, 11:25 PM, said:

Besides to watch them fail time and again like a sort of child burning ants with a lighter.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

G, I have not thought of it that way before.  Intersting perspective.  :look:  I've never burned ants, but I have stomped them, so I can see how it could work.  :ninjadeath:

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#184 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 11:58 AM

Norville, on May 4 2005, 06:14 PM, said:

Northern California has such a liberal reputation these days -- or at least the Bay Area does. The "real" north, far north, north of the Bay Area, is actually quite Republican/right (so much for The Left Coast), so which part of northern California gave you that piece of hell?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Real north.  :o

Norville, on May 4 2005, 06:14 PM, said:

Nonny said:

The ones dealing with my pregnancies all assured me that I would die miscarrying. Every single one of these men agreed that I would never, ever be able to have a baby. Yet what was the reason for denying me sterilization? "You might change your mind." :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Nonny said:

Lots of "having a baby will kill you," very little "here's how not to get pregnant." :blink:
Ohhhhhkaaaayyy. :blink: You might change your mind about dying in childbirth, so hey, we're not going to let you be sterilized, because even if you'd die, your neeeeed for a baby would just not let that matter to you... right? Oy. *spit*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Scary, huh?  It has just occured to me to wonder how many women and girls haven't survived something like this.  :(

Nonny
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#185 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 12:05 PM

sierraleone, on May 4 2005, 07:32 PM, said:

Can I say how glad I am I can only imagine that! And the same for so many women these days.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm glad too.  :)

I never heard of a woman reacting to pregnancy like that every time she was pregnant... did they ever say what condition you had? (just curious) Doesn't sound like ectopic pregnancy to me either, but what do I know :) I figured it'd be fine for at least the first while in an ectopic pregnancy, until the egg implanted itself, and started to grow too big.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm going to do some checking this summer, see what I can dig up.  If either hospital still has my records, I'll see what I can find out.  

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When time is a factor, it is a crucial one.  I prefer to have few restrictions on abortion because of this.  Those who interfere with the intention of stopping an abortion have time on their side, and that's an imbalance of power that doesn't sit well with me, even if the pregnant woman's life is not in jeopardy.  

Nonny
Posted Image

#186 Consubstantial

Consubstantial

Paradox by Incongruity

• Islander
  • 851 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:52 PM

Norville, on May 5 2005, 02:14 AM, said:

Consubstantial said:

I'm glad you decided to bring this up. Don't you dare regret it.

I kind of do regret it, but not enough to delete the post... yet. ;)

Consubstantial said:

While I empathize with your teenage experience, it is possible to rediscover one's compassion and even one's enjoyment of life. I find the redevelopment of compassion often coincides with the onset of circumstances which require compassionate response.

Hmph. Actually, Connie, my mentioning a lack of compassion for a certain life situation and a tendency toward depression doesn't mean that I lack *all* compassion or enjoyment of life; too bad you assumed that. So here comes more that I'll probably regret later.

I tend not to want to discuss compassion in public, because we have a society in which people's view of compassion tends to be that there's too much compassion and not enough conservativism. (That's what I get from having listened to right-wing radio for a while and hearing the rant that there's too much compassion -- oh, really, where is it? I tend to see the aspect of society that's selfish, "Me first!", greedy, and uncaring for others. Gee, show me where that overabundance of real compassion is.) However, when I pray/meditate/reflect (in an odd Christian/Buddhist fashion), I ask to be able to practice compassion in the world. (No, it doesn't always work, but I'm pleased when it does.)

As for depression, I say that my brain has often been out to kill me, but it doesn't mean that I'm incapable of experiencing enjoyment. Interesting that you assume so. Oh, well, *shrug*.

Again, I see no reason for regret.  Actually, I didn't assume that you are incapable of experiencing enjoyment or that you lack "all" compassion or enjoyment for life.  I thought quite the opposite in fact.  My response was actually a compassionate one intended to awaken hope accompanied by a wry observation about the development of compassion I have observed in others.  You see my view is that compassion is lacking in our culture and that compassion is worth both promoting and living.
From the start, our terms jump to conclusions--Kenneth Burke

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Abortion, Ward of the State

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users