Politics-American Republicans GOP Laura Bush

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#21 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 10:05 AM

It doesn't bug me that they're not outraged at Laura telling jokes.  It does kinda bug me, though, that they're not ticked about what Jenna did, though.   If Chelsea had taken off her drawers in public, we'd still be trying to spatula Limbaugh off the moon.

I'll admit I'm not a big Laura Bush fan, but I thought she did a great job with the jokes.  True, she didn't write them, but she did a decent job delivering them, and it took some guts to tell them in the first place.  So, I give her some credit for that.  

Some shrinking violet whined about "Asses of Evil"?   Sheesh, I thought the liberals were supposed to be the overly-P.C. faction.  It's not a particularly funny joke, but it's nothing to get outraged about.  I put it in the same category as the million "I voted for John Kerry before I voted against him" or "ketchup boy" or "flush the Johns" jokes - weak, unoriginal parrot-work for people who can't think up their own material.    So I'd think Teresa was tiresome and lame for thinking that "Asses of Evil" was funny, but I'd hardly get outraged.   As far as the Kerry family's joke-telling goes, I still think JFK's "It's getting so if you want affordable prescription drugs in this country you have to hire Rush Limbaugh's housekeeper" is their finest hour. :)  And as far as bumper-sticker things go, I'd go with this one over any "asses of evil" or "four more wars" dealie.  (Dude's middle name is "Forbes," so it works on more than one level. :) )   Anyway, getting your blood pressure up over an "Asses of Evil" joke or it's "ketchup boy" equivalent is probably a sign that natural selection just ain't on your side.

Whoopi was lame and embarrassing and took far, far too easy a road, so I wouldn't even defend her on that one.   I don't mind crude, as long as it's funny... but Whoopi wasn't funny. Laura Bush was, at least, quite funny.  It was good material and she did a good job with it.   And Dubya was a good sport about it.  So, I give 'em that much credit, and look forward to remembering it fondly when they're back in Crawford for good. ;)

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#22 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,212 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 10:28 AM

^ so what if she took off some undies. Is she putting on a bathing suit? (there seems to be the other half of the bathing suit in her hand - though it probably be better to wear it under the clothes, and then take of the undies/skirt w/ the swim-suit bottom underneath). Maybe she was on a nude beach, I don't know, and its none of my buisness. Even if it was done in public... Its her life, and she didn't take off her skirt (which would likely violate some decency law). Shes 23.

Edited by sierraleone, 04 May 2005 - 10:29 AM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#23 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 10:42 AM

^ so what if she took off some undies. Is she putting on a bathing suit? (there seems to be the other half of the bathing suit in her hand - though it probably be better to wear it under the clothes, and then take of the undies/skirt w/ the swim-suit bottom underneath). Maybe she was on a nude beach, I don't know, and its none of my buisness. Even if it was done in public... Its her life, and she didn't take off her skirt (which would likely violate some decency law). Shes 23.

****** Yeah, it looks like she's putting on a bathing suit... but still, taking off one's underwear in public is pretty freakin' low-class, at least where I'm from.  It's not illegal, but I wouldn't want my kid doing that in public.  Surely there was somewhere more discreet to do that.  Then there's that whole "butt dance" video.  It's like she's trying out for Girls Gone Wild or something.  I repeat: if Chelsea had done it, we'd never hear the end of it.  

Cheers,

Zwolf

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."

#24 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:33 AM

Actually we would. After all who knows what she is doing besides working the job she got out of college with a law firm that lobbies congress.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#25 Consubstantial

Consubstantial

Paradox by Incongruity

• Islander
  • 851 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 01:52 PM

Despite the fact that my views lean toward the liberal side, I feel the need to protest this thread.  With its title it presents a generalized attack on Republicans.  Moreover, the thread generator has already used the following phrase "Republicans like you."  

This thread violates board guidelines far more than the Zwolff thread which drew an earlier warning.  I officially request the forum mods and board admins review this thread.
From the start, our terms jump to conclusions--Kenneth Burke

#26 Mr.Calgary

Mr.Calgary

Has left.

• Islander
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:11 PM

TechHarper, on May 4 2005, 12:09 AM, said:

You conservatives are dastardly!  Dastardly I say! ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Say.....it's got a nice flow to it!  :hehe:
Favourite Coda thread quotes.....

(1)  Yes. Bad Trance! Wicked, Evil Trance!

(2)  Stayed purple.   (3)  Bad, bad Trance!

(4)  Love and Blowing Things Up continue forever. The universe wins

#27 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:49 PM

I'm not buying the "It's different when it's people from your OWN camp making the jokes and that's why we were sooooooooooo outraged by the Asses Of Evil, Whoopi Goldberg comments". I ALSO seem to recall the "Purple Hearts Bandaids" the Republicans were wearing at the RNC convention and I DON'T recall any outrage from republicans about that. But I do Recall the hissy fits that got pitched over the Whoopi comments and the asses of evil thing.

Now as for what Laura Bush said...I thought it was funny. Maybe she didn't write it but she delivered it well. I saw it on the daily show and I cracked up. I've never been a Laura Bush fan but I thought she did that very well. My only thought on all this DON'T dish it out if you're unwilling to take it. To me funny is funny, I don't care who's telling the joke about who.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#28 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 04:53 PM

Actually, at least one Christian conservative group has complained about Laura's bawdy routine--and ticked off another Christian conservative group by doing so.

http://swiftreport.b...rvative_cr.html

A conservative Christian organization that lashed out at the First Lady's weekend comedy routine is lashing out again—this time at critics who claim that the group's Bible-based panning of Mrs. Bush's jokes and one-liners was itself a joke. Observers say that the high-profile dispute over who can speak for conservative Christians is just the latest in an increasingly heated battle between the Coalition for Traditional Values and its rival, the Traditional Values Coalition.

:wacko:

Anybody know anything about this?  Is CTV a bogus organization, as TVC claims?
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#29 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 07:20 PM

Apparently Michael Savage also went newkewlar over it,  and Lord knows he's a bogus human being.
Posted Image

#30 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 07:41 PM

Oh, man. I went to Savage's website and found this:

http://www.homestead...-prs/index.html

SAVAGE BLACK LISTED BY ALL MEDIA OUTLETS
We expect blacklisting from the MSM. But, what does it say to you when the entire Fox News network refuses to cover the leading conservative voice in radio?.  I am the only radio personality to have 3 best sellers in a row.  Yet, Fox News blacklists me because O’Reilly is afraid to debate me, while Sean Vanity is incapable of any debate.  They continue supporting a failed presidency, the first lady’s vulgar vaudeville routine before the liberal press and a failed war, which fewer and fewer Americans support....

Looks like Savage (Weiner) is having some kind of meltdown. But he did find Laura's routine "vulgar." Interesting.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#31 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 09:42 PM

Michael Savage said:

I am the only radio personality to have 3 best sellers in a row.

Yeah, and Savage has also gone into rages about stupid, evil, liberal booksellers allegedly refusing to help customers find his books, that one must go in to harass booksellers and report them to their companies if one decides they're Savage-ly incorrect, and even raging about bookstores daring to put bestseller stickers ON HIS FACE, OMG!!!11! ("eleventy!!" to quote LiveJournal's taunt.) (Never mind that bestseller stickers, at least in my bookselling experience, are *always* put on the upper right corners. Don't put your freakin' face on the upper right corner of your book, eh?? ;) )

Huh. Perhaps the above explains why I've given up on SavageWeiner for a while. Fortunately, I missed out on any response he had to the ridiculous publisher-induced unavailability for so long of Unfit for Command, which right-wing radio blamed solely on bookstores and their stupid, evil, liberal booksellers. :rolleyes:
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#32 Dev F

Dev F

Straighten your pope hat!

• Islander
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 12:42 AM

I just looked back over Drew's old thread, and it seems like we're comparing apples and oranges here.

Unless I'm missing something, Drew wasn't complaining because Mrs. Kerry used naughty language; he was complaining because she made what he believed to be a cheap and crass dig at her husband's opponents. Which is not at all what Mrs. Bush did at the recent roast.

#33 Mr.Calgary

Mr.Calgary

Has left.

• Islander
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 01:28 AM

Dev F, on May 4 2005, 10:42 PM, said:

I just looked back over Drew's old thread, and it seems like we're comparing apples and oranges here.

Unless I'm missing something, Drew wasn't complaining because Mrs. Kerry used naughty language; he was complaining because she made what he believed to be a cheap and crass dig at her husband's opponents. Which is not at all what Mrs. Bush did at the recent roast.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly, that's why Zack's thread-starting post is such horsefeathers.

Maybe Zack's next post should be an apology to Drew.

(replacing "a crock" with "horsefeathers")

Edited by Mr.Calgary, 05 May 2005 - 08:56 PM.

Favourite Coda thread quotes.....

(1)  Yes. Bad Trance! Wicked, Evil Trance!

(2)  Stayed purple.   (3)  Bad, bad Trance!

(4)  Love and Blowing Things Up continue forever. The universe wins

#34 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 01:38 AM

*puts on staff hat*

Please everyone, remember Ash's "punch in the nose" rule. (IE: Let's all try to be civil and not say things to each other here on EI that we wouldn't say in real life.) From the first post, this thread has been uncomfortably personal in tone, and it could become heated if we're not careful. You've all made good points, but I'm not sure where the conversation can go from here.

Consubstantial said:

Despite the fact that my views lean toward the liberal side, I feel the need to protest this thread.  With its title it presents a generalized attack on Republicans.  Moreover, the thread generator has already used the following phrase "Republicans like you." 

This thread violates board guidelines far more than the Zwolff thread which drew an earlier warning.  I officially request the forum mods and board admins review this thread.

Don't worry, Consubstantial. We've definitely been watching, and so far everyone has been fairly civil.
Per aspera ad astra

#35 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:14 AM

It's been civil because most of the conservatives have posted what is likely to be their only comments and have left. Soon they will stop posting altoghere in OT and the place can just the way other folks want it.

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#36 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:22 AM

Don't stop posting, G. OT needs all the diversity it can get, and we would all be poorer if the conservative perspective (or any other) was absent from this forum.

#37 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:29 AM

Ah yeah right :sarcasm:

Basically from where I am I see the situation as Zack got to slam Drew and most other Republicans here and is likely not going to be required to appoligze or warned for it.

I got warned and banned for simular acts but since it's Zack and a I feel a Liberal doing the attacking it's going to get swept under the rug and forgotten quicker than contents Al Capone's Safe.

TANSTAAFL

#38 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:34 AM

No, the mods stepped in to cool the situation down when things started getting too personal. Nothing is being swept under the rug, but we don't want to squash any conversation either. But on the other hand, there's little need to do that since (except for three or four bumps) everyone has been discussing the subject pretty well.

#39 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 07:51 AM

it's going to get swept under the rug and forgotten quicker than contents Al Capone's Safe.

****** The contents of Al Capone's safe aren't forgotten.  I recall that there was nothing in it.

Cheers,

Zwolf

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."

#40 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 09:06 AM

Mr.Calgary, on May 5 2005, 06:28 AM, said:

Dev F, on May 4 2005, 10:42 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly, that's why Zack's thread-starting post is such a crock.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm supposed to buy that the people who eagerly supported smearing the military record of a war hero (and remember, Laura Bush herself pointedly refused to repudiate the Swift Boats) believed in any sort of decorum regarding attacks on political opponents?   Of course not.  It was the secondhand association withvulgarity by a potential First Lady that sent the poor dears to their fainting couches.

[edited at request of moderators]

Edited by MuseZack, 05 May 2005 - 03:43 PM.

"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Politics-American, Republicans, GOP, Laura Bush

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users