99 replies to this topic

#41 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 09:07 AM

Michelle Malkin agrees with Zack.  :eek2:

http://michellemalki...ives/002316.htm

Most of Mrs. Bush's humor at the correspondents' dinner was just right: Edgy but not over the edge. But I think the stripper and horse jokes were totally beneath her.

Just put it to the other-shoe test: If it were Teresa Heinz Kerry standing up on the dais telling the same jokes, the conservative commentariat would be buzzing for the rest of the year about what a tasteless skank she is.

"Lighten up?" How about cleaning up? The First Lady resorting to cheap horse masturbation jokes is not much better than Whoopi Goldberg trafficking in dumb puns on the Bush family name. Unlike many Beltway and Manhattan commentators, I do not think the Wonkette-ization of the White House is a good thing.

Of course, not all on the right agree with her. But considering that Malkin was a huge critic of Teresa Heinz Kerry's "tastelessness," I have to give her props for consistency here.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#42 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 09:10 AM

Wonkette?

#43 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 09:17 AM

Spectacles, on May 5 2005, 02:07 PM, said:

Michelle Malkin agrees with Zack.  :eek2:

Most of Mrs. Bush's humor at the correspondents' dinner was just right: Edgy but not over the edge. But I think the stripper and horse jokes were totally beneath her.

Just put it to the other-shoe test: If it were Teresa Heinz Kerry standing up on the dais telling the same jokes, the conservative commentariat would be buzzing for the rest of the year about what a tasteless skank she is.

"Lighten up?" How about cleaning up? The First Lady resorting to cheap horse masturbation jokes is not much better than Whoopi Goldberg trafficking in dumb puns on the Bush family name. Unlike many Beltway and Manhattan commentators, I do not think the Wonkette-ization of the White House is a good thing.

Of course, not all on the right agree with her. But considering that Malkin was a huge critic of Teresa Heinz Kerry's "tastelessness," I have to give her props for consistency here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, she doesn't exactly agree with me-- I'm all for the coarsening of our political discourse!-- but I also must give Ms. Malkin props for consistency.  And she's absolutely right in that if a Democratic First Lady had done the same routine (and come on, people, it wasn't that fresh-- I remember Yakov Smirnoff telling "milking a bull" jokes 20 years ago), we'd still be hearing the screaming on talk radio and be subjected to 30,000 word outraged essays by James Lileks and Hugh Hewitt about how Democrats are vulgar and tasteless and make the Baby Jesus cry.

And P.S.  Wonkette (wonkette.com) is a D.C. blogger who relates political gossip from inside the Beltway and is mainly known for her potty mouth and enthusiasm for anal sex jokes.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#44 Mr.Calgary

Mr.Calgary

Has left.

• Islander
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 10:30 AM

Spectacles, on May 5 2005, 07:07 AM, said:

Michelle Malkin agrees with Zack.  :eek2:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Posted Image

For me, based on the clips I've seen and what I've read. the horse joke perhaps, might, have been dropped.

But, this was the White House Correspondents' Association dinner, I think it was okay for this audience.
Favourite Coda thread quotes.....

(1)  Yes. Bad Trance! Wicked, Evil Trance!

(2)  Stayed purple.   (3)  Bad, bad Trance!

(4)  Love and Blowing Things Up continue forever. The universe wins

#45 Dev F

Dev F

Straighten your pope hat!

• Islander
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 10:37 AM

MuseZack, on May 5 2005, 09:06 AM, said:

What revisionist bull****.  I'm supposed to buy that the people who eagerly supported smearing the military record of a war hero (and remember, Laura Bush herself pointedly refused to repudiate the Swift Boats) believed in any sort of decorum regarding attacks on political opponents?   Of course not.  It was the secondhand association withvulgarity by a potential First Lady that sent the poor dears to their fainting couches.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please just read the old thread over again. That's simply not what Drew says.

The thing is, I agree with your politics far more than I ever have with that of Drew or the other Bush supporters. But this just seems like another blind alley to me, the kind of thing we liberals tend to get all worked up about even though it has nothing to do with anything, while conservatives both decent and shady keep their eyes on the prize -- and whup us time and time again.

Edited by Dev F, 05 May 2005 - 10:39 AM.

#46 Mr.Calgary

Mr.Calgary

Has left.

• Islander
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 10:48 AM

MuseZack, on May 5 2005, 07:06 AM, said:

What revisionist bull****.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Doing my part......

-image edited out-

Edited by Mr.Calgary, 05 May 2005 - 03:01 PM.

Favourite Coda thread quotes.....

(1)  Yes. Bad Trance! Wicked, Evil Trance!

(2)  Stayed purple.   (3)  Bad, bad Trance!

(4)  Love and Blowing Things Up continue forever. The universe wins

#47 Nonprofit

Nonprofit
  • Islander
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 10:52 AM

G1223  Today, 02:14 AM
It's been civil because most of the conservatives have posted what is likely to be their only comments and have left. Soon they will stop posting altoghere in OT and the place can just the way other folks want it.

Yep, you are so right G.  Only some don't even bother to post we just lurk instead.

RuReddy

#48 Xillania

Xillania

Take the Purple Pill

• Islander
  • 144 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 11:09 AM

I personally think that yes, Laura Bush's comments were in good fun. However, I think that the liberals who made jokes about conservatives recieved an overreaction themselves. I personally think too many people take offense at too many things. Heck, if someone tries to insult me by calling me gay, I just smile and say something along the lines of "Why yes, I am," although usually with a little messier language. And the reason why I think the reaction to Mrs. Bush is overmuch is this: when someone who is either queer or liberal makes a gay joke with no offense meant, I take that in good humour. I can't make a double standard about such humour without invalidating my status as open-minded and non-hypocritical.
"...dishonest men you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you have to look out for, because you never know when they'll do something incredibly...stupid."  -Captain Jack Sparrow

http://www.fictionpr...om/~sammiwilson

VG Cats

"Let's say this Twinkie represents the normal amount of psychokinetic energy in the New York area. According to this morning's sample, it would be a Twinkie 35 feet long, weighing approximately 600 pounds." -Dr. Egon Spengler

#49 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 11:19 AM

Every once in awhile I like to remind people that things that they choose to do - lurk, not lurk, express a certain opinion or not express it, etc. - are their own decision, nobody else's.   If  they complain about these decisions they made in an attempt to evoke pity or guilt or whatever... it ain't workin'.   We all do what we choose to do - nobody forced us, and it's in nobody's hands but our own.  If one is unhappy with one's own decisions and chooses to complain about them rather than change their mind and do something different which might make them happier, then I will laugh at their laments, not sympathize with them or cry over them.   It's pretty silly to expect anything else.  

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#50 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 11:48 AM

Mr.Calgary, on May 5 2005, 03:48 PM, said:

MuseZack, on May 5 2005, 07:06 AM, said:

What revisionist bull****.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Zack getting whupped
Posted Image

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, Mr. Calgary, I am in awe of your argumentative power.  Cicero himself must be looking down from the heavens in admiration of that riposte.

#51 Nonprofit

Nonprofit
  • Islander
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 11:55 AM

Zwolf666 Posted Today, 11:19 AM
  Every once in awhile I like to remind people that things that they choose to do - lurk, not lurk, express a certain opinion or not express it, etc. - are their own decision, nobody else's. If they complain about these decisions they made in an attempt to evoke pity or guilt or whatever... it ain't workin'. We all do what we choose to do - nobody forced us, and it's in nobody's hands but our own. If one is unhappy with one's own decisions and chooses to complain about them rather than change their mind and do something different which might make them happier, then I will laugh at their laments, not sympathize with them or cry over them. It's pretty silly to expect anything else.

Cheers,

Zwolf

:whistle:

#52 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 11:56 AM

Several people in this thread need to take a step back and cool down some.  This is starting to get a little out of hand.  OT is a discussion form and not a place for us to be at each others throats constantly.

Edited by CJ AEGIS, 05 May 2005 - 12:01 PM.

"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#53 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 12:04 PM

Edit

Edited by CJ AEGIS, 05 May 2005 - 12:05 PM.

"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#54 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 12:13 PM

CJ AEGIS, on May 5 2005, 04:56 PM, said:

Several people in this thread need to take a step back and cool down some.  This is starting to get a little out of hand.  OT is a discussion form and not a place for us to be at each others throats constantly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, I already edited my initial post to take out the specific name-- and I'm not the one responding to substantive arguments with crude, personally directed cartoons, either.   Would you rather me respond with mild sarcasm or spend ten posts complaining about how liberals are discriminated against on the OT and threaten to leave?

#55 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 12:29 PM

Mr.Calgary, on May 5 2005, 07:30 AM, said:

For me, based on the clips I've seen and what I've read. the horse joke perhaps, might, have been dropped.

But, this was the White House Correspondents' Association dinner, I think it was okay for this audience.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cuz they could be trusted not to tell the rest of us.  ;)

:p

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#56 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 12:32 PM

Zwolf666, on May 5 2005, 08:19 AM, said:

Every once in awhile I like to remind people that things that they choose to do - lurk, not lurk, express a certain opinion or not express it, etc. - are their own decision, nobody else's.   If  they complain about these decisions they made in an attempt to evoke pity or guilt or whatever... it ain't workin'.   We all do what we choose to do - nobody forced us, and it's in nobody's hands but our own.  If one is unhappy with one's own decisions and chooses to complain about them rather than change their mind and do something different which might make them happier, then I will laugh at their laments, not sympathize with them or cry over them.   It's pretty silly to expect anything else.   

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Makes sense to me!  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#57 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 01:04 PM

Nonny, on May 5 2005, 09:29 AM, said:

Mr.Calgary, on May 5 2005, 07:30 AM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cuz they could be trusted not to tell the rest of us.  ;)

:p

Nonny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL! I keep trying to think of something another First Lady's said that's more tasteless than the horse thing, but I'm coming up empty. Who would have thought that the lady-like-looking Laura Bush could be so totally tasteless?  :ninja:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#58 Consubstantial

Consubstantial

Paradox by Incongruity

• Islander
  • 851 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:44 PM

Kevin Street, on May 5 2005, 06:38 AM, said:

*puts on staff hat*

Please everyone, remember Ash's "punch in the nose" rule. (IE: Let's all try to be civil and not say things to each other here on EI that we wouldn't say in real life.) From the first post, this thread has been uncomfortably personal in tone, and it could become heated if we're not careful. You've all made good points, but I'm not sure where the conversation can go from here.

Consubstantial said:

Despite the fact that my views lean toward the liberal side, I feel the need to protest this thread.  With its title it presents a generalized attack on Republicans.  Moreover, the thread generator has already used the following phrase "Republicans like you." 

This thread violates board guidelines far more than the Zwolff thread which drew an earlier warning.  I officially request the forum mods and board admins review this thread.

Don't worry, Consubstantial. We've definitely been watching, and so far everyone has been fairly civil.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With all due respect Kevin, that is a crock of B***S**T!  The administration's decision to permit the continuance of this thread proves Drew and every other conservative (even Ogami) correct about administrative favoritism.  To have warned zwolff over the Schiavo thread and to allow this bashing to continue is the height of hypocrisy.  I am now embarrassed for all of you.
From the start, our terms jump to conclusions--Kenneth Burke

#59 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:51 PM

Thanks Connie we do not often see eye to eye on issues but thanks for comming out for a middle of the road position. (Lord knows I rarely do)
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#60 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:54 PM

All right, this is going too far. Zack, you're crossing the line here and your behavior is unacceptable.

All through the thread you've been using very strong language to dismiss the arguments of your opponents, but calling Mr.Calgary's post "revisionist bull****" is too much. This kind of rhetoric reaches the level of a personal insult, and there will be an edit request. We're here to debate things, not to argue.

And on that note... Mr.Calgary, your responses are way too close to the line. (Especially the whupped comment.) Remember, it takes two to argue, and when you respond out of emotion like that you're doing the same thing as Zack.

Everybody, knock it off. Now.

edit: the same thing applies to you, Consubstantial. This thread has degenerated into nothing but an argument, and you're not helping.

Edited by Kevin Street, 05 May 2005 - 02:55 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Politics-American, Republicans, GOP, Laura Bush

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users