• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Smitty

Smitty

"If I knew what was going on I'd really be indignant.&q

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 12 April 2003 - 11:42 AM

1961 Aboard the spacecraft Vostok 1, Soviet cosmonaut Yuri Alekseyevich Gagarin becomes the first human being to travel into space.

1861 The American Civil War aka The War Between States begins

1864 The Fort Pillow Massacre A particularly bloody battle during The Civil War.

1945 President Roosevelt dies

1981 First launching of the space shuttle

Celebrating Birthdays Today:

1777 - Henry Clay (The Great Pacificator: U.S. Secretary of State under John Quincy Adams; three time unsuccessful candidate for president of U.S.: "I would rather be right than president.")
1895 - Lily (Alice) Pons (soprano singer, actress: I Dream Too Much, That Girl from Paris)

1903 - Sally Rand (Helen Beck) (dancer, actress)

1913 - Lionel Hampton (singer, songwriter, jazz musician: vibes, drums, piano, bandleader: On the Sunny Side of the Street, Hey! Hot Mallets, Ba-Ba-Re-Bop, Rag Mop; played with Benny Goodman)

1916 - Russ Garcia (musician, composer, orchestra leader: Waiter, Make Mine Blues with Anita O'Day; Royal Wedding Suite with Oscar Peterson)

1919 - Ann Miller (Lucy Ann Collier) (actress, dancer: Easter Parade, Sugar Babies, You Can't Take It with You, Hit the Deck, Kiss Me Kate, On the Town, Room Service, Lovely to Look At)

1931 - Billy (Richard) Vaughn (musician, orchestra leader: Melody of Love, The Shifting, Whispering Sands, Sail along Silver Moon; baritone singer with: Hilltoppers; music director: Dot Records)

1931(?) - Tiny Tim (aka Darry Dover, Larry Love)(Herbert Khaury) (ukulele playing, falsetto singer: Tiptoe Through The Tulips, Sonny Boy; film: You Are What You Eat, TV: Laugh In)

1933 - Charlie Lau (baseball)

1936 - Judy Lynn (country singer: Footsteps of a Fool; entertainer: Las Vegas; The Judy Lynn Show; Snake Valley Jamboree Queen [1952]; U.S. Champion Yodeler [1953]; Miss Idaho [1955])

1940 - Woody Fryman (baseball)

1940 - Herbie Hancock (Oscar-winning jazz/fusion musician, composer of original score: Round Midnight [1986]; TV score: Rockschool; singles: Riot, Canteloupe Island, Rockit, Dolphin's Dance)

1944 - Terry Harmon (baseball)

1944 - John Kay (Joachim Krauledat) (guitarist, vocalist: group: Steppenwolf: Born To Be Wild, Magic Carpet Ride, Rock Me)

1947 - David Letterman (TV host & comedian: Late Night with David Letterman)

1949 - Scott Turow (author: Presumed Innocent, The Burden of Proof)

1950 - Chip (James Earl) Carter (son of 39th U.S. President Jimmy Carter and First Lady, Roslyn Carter)

1950 - David Cassidy (actor, singer)

1951 - Matt Herkenhoff (football)

1952 - Reuben Gant (football)

1952 - Mike Martin (baseball)

1971 Shannen Doherty (actress)

1979 Claire Danes (actress)

-cs

Edited by Certifiably Cait, 27 August 2012 - 02:17 PM.

#2 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,194 posts

Posted 12 April 2003 - 03:59 PM

Smitty, on Apr 12 2003, 01:31 AM, said:

1945 President Roosevelt dies
Which one? ;)

Rommie :whatsthat:
Posted Image

#3 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 12 April 2003 - 07:14 PM

^ Judging by the date, FDR.

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: History-World

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users