1 reply to this topic

#1 Smitty

Smitty

"If I knew what was going on I'd really be indignant.&q

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 08:41 AM

http://www.historychannel.com/tdih/

1997 in Augusta, Georgia, 21-year-old Tiger Woods wins the prestigious Masters Tournament by a record 12 strokes. It was Woods' first victory in one of golf's four major championships--the U.S. Open, the British Open, the PGA Championship, and the Masters--and the greatest performance by a professional golfer in more than a century.

1919 The Amritsar Massacre

In Amritsar, India's holy city of the Sikh religion, British and Gurkha troops massacre at least 379 unarmed demonstrators meeting at the Jallianwala Bagh, a city park. Most of those killed were Indian nationalists meeting to protest the British government's forced conscription of Indian soldiers and the heavy war tax imposed against the Indian people.

1941 Japan and USSR sign nonaggression pact

1970 Apollo 13 oxygen tank explodes

Birthdays:

1743 - Thomas Jefferson (3rd U.S. President [1801-1809]; drafted the Declaration of Independence)
1852 - F.W. (Frank W.) Woolworth (merchant: created the five and ten cent store [1879 in Lancaster, PA]: headed F.W. Woolworth & Co. with over 1,000 stores, funded NY's Woolworth Building)

1866 - Butch Cassidy (old west outlaw: leader of The Wild Bunch gang)

1899 - Alfred M. Butts (architect, inventor: Scrabble)

1906 - Samuel Beckett (author, critic, playwright: Waiting for Godot, The Unnamable, Eleutheria, Malone Dies, Malloy, Endgame)

1906 - Bud (Lawrence) Freeman (jazz musician: tenor sax: China Boy, Easy to Get, I've Found a New Baby, The Eel, Mr. Toad)

1907 - Harold Stassen (perennial U.S. Presidential candidate)

1909 - Eurora Welty (poet: Delta Wedding, Losing Battles)

1919 - Howard Keel (Harold Leek) (actor: Dallas; singer, actor: Oklahoma, Annie Get Your Gun, Show Boat, Lovely to Look At, Kiss Me Kate, Calamity Jane, Rose-Marie, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Deep in My Heart, Saratoga, No Strings)

1925 - Jules Irving (actor)

1928 - Teddy Charles (musician)

1929 - Marilyn Smith (golfer)

1931 - Dan Gurney (auto racer: Indianapolis Speedway Hall of Famer; 1st driver to win all 4 major categories: Formula One, Indy Cars, NASCAR stock and sports cars; team owner: builds All-American Eagle)

1935 - Lyle Waggoner (actor: The Carol Burnett Show, The Jimmie Rodgers Show, Wonder Woman)

1939 - Paul Sorvino (actor: Law and Order, Reds, Oh! God, The Day of the Dolphin, Dick Tracy, Goodfellas, A Touch of Class)

1940 - Jose Napoles (boxer)

1940 - Lester Chambers (singer, musician: harmonica: group: The Chamber Brothers: Time Has Come Today)

1946 - Wayne Colman (football)

1946 - Al Green (singer, songwriter: Tired of Being Alone, Let's Stay Together, You Ought to be with Me, Here I Am, Call Me)

1951 - Max Weinberg (musician: drummer: E Street Band)

-cs

Edited by Certifiably Cait, 27 August 2012 - 02:19 PM.

#2 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 11:26 AM

Happy Birthday TJ!!

:suspect:    :Oo:  < "If that thing says"By your command," I'm outta here!!"
Can't Touch This!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: History-World

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users