11 replies to this topic

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 10:57 AM

I was about headed to bed, and then I heard this:

"According to <Newspaper I can't pronounce>, a respected Israeli daily, Ariel Sharon says he's willing to remove settlements from sensitive areas in exchange for peace.".

Well, that's... different?

My hopes aren't high; there's been a lot of blood spilled already.

I can't find an article on this *yet*, it's only appeared on a TV station.

Let me try to dig up more info.. wow!

Thoughts? Opinions? How is this going to play in the larger diplomatic picture?
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 silverwind

silverwind

Not the only one

• Islander
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 11:01 AM

Behold me not holding my breath. ;)
Proud ally and supporter of Euro-snobs and international flakes.

Signs your coworker may be able to manipulate time:  "Is this the first time you've called here before?"

Signs your coworker needs to work on their vocabularly:  A:  "It opens up in Notepad and it's just jibberish."  B:  "So you can't understand it?"

#3 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 11:11 AM

I have to agree with SW here, I am not holding much hope, but it would be a start, if it proves true.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#4 Smitty

Smitty

"If I knew what was going on I'd really be indignant.&q

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 01:02 PM

Checked several newssites and seen zip about this. I mean nothing.

Unless there's some verification chalk it up to rumor floating.

-cs

#5 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 03:27 PM

Well I really hope he can deliver on his promises.  I also hope that the militants on both sides don't manage to muck things up.  No doubt they will try to.  

Still, I think that this represents a move that will mean that the Arabs and Palestinians can't use Sharon as an excuse to not compromise.  If someone like Sharon can deliver on that promise, it's going to be Arafat's turn to move in the right direction or look really bad.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#6 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 03:41 PM

I'd call it an election promise, his opponant has offered the same thing, and by doing so has gained alot support in Palestine.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#7 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 03:59 PM

^^The Israeli elections were over months ago, with Sharon re-electd by a landslide. :(

This news is confirmed by Reuters, plus the Israeli ambassador to the US said the same thing in a CNN interview yesterday, which I heard. Their condition is that the new Palestinian government must stop terrorist attacks. Then the Israelis say they are willing to negotiate removal of settlements and a two-state resolution.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#8 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 04:08 PM

Cardie, on Apr 13 2003, 08:48 AM, said:

^^The Israeli elections were over months ago, with Sharon re-electd by a landslide. :(

Cardie
Sorry then, not quite up to date their election schedule. :(
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#9 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

goddess of love and blowing things up

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 07:05 PM

I just hope he means it.

After the invasion of Iraq (for so it is seen by the Arab world, whatever we may call it) and their bitter disappointment at how that folded, the Palestine/Israel two state issue is the absolute next critical step-- even as we  need to continue assistance to Afghanistan and Iraq in rebuilding their civil societies.

If that does not move forward soon, the fuse that is already lit will burn even more speedily.

Ro

#10 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 09:08 PM

Cardie, on Apr 13 2003, 12:48 PM, said:

This news is confirmed by Reuters, plus the Israeli ambassador to the US said the same thing in a CNN interview yesterday, which I heard. Their condition is that the new Palestinian government must stop terrorist attacks.
...which essentially gives a veto power to any terrorist group that doesn't want to see a peace settlement.  If Arafat couldn't stop all the attacks when he had a functioning police force and an actual vested interest in seeing calm prevail (during the Rabin government, when he actually seemed on the verge of getting his state), how's he supposed to do it when his government's been shattered and a whole new generation of terrorist groups have sprung up?  

This isn't a defense of Arafat, BTW, who's a corrupt, power-hungry dictator whose leadership has been a disaster for his people.  Just an observation that this newest offer from "the bulldozer" Sharon appears to be set up to fail.

Zacl
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#11 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 09:38 PM

I'm certainly no apologist for Sharon, who calculatedly set out to inspire this latest wave of terrorism in order to stop the peace process and build his power base. But the guy can't live forever, and even to get the Israelis to go on record with a promise to remove settlements and accept a Palestinian state in return for their security is better than nothing.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#12 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 11:30 AM

Hey, I just came home and saw this, I don't really have the time, but here is just the link to Sharon's interview to the only Isreali national newspaper that has an english version :)

http://www.haaretz.c...sID=0&listSrc=Y

I'll try to log in later today... i need some sleep

Enmar
Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Israel, Ariel Sharon, Settlements

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users