Health Abortion Birth Control 2005

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 darthsikle

darthsikle
  • Dead account
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 11:09 AM

I was flabbergasted.  Six???  Outrageous!!!

Abortion as Birth Control

Edited by darthsikle, 16 May 2005 - 12:44 PM.

Goodbye.

#2 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 11:23 AM

Now that's the kind of person who shouldn't be allowed to have abortions anymore.  Nor should she be allowed to breed, either.  I'd say everybody's allowed one corrected "mistake," since no form of birth control is foolproof... but on the second one they go ahead and sterilize 'em.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#3 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 01:55 PM

Someone who has that many abortions, given how hard they are on your body, is probably already unable to carry to full term anymore.  

Hopefully.

While I still believe that abortions should be legal, having abortions instead of using birth control is offensive.  They should be a last-ditch, resort to only in emergencies type thing.

Still, I believe women who use abortions as their primary birth control are very much in the minority.  It's much harder, both physically and emtionally, than using a condom or taking birth control pills.  So it doesn't make sense to do often even for people who see absolutly nothing wrong with it.  I'll bet if they interviewed whatever woman who had 6 in a year they would find she was emtionally disturbed in some way and it seems likely that she would have drug/alcohol problems and complusive sex problems.  I have a hard time seeing any fit father-to-be or even a halfway decent boyfriend allowing his girlfriend to have an abortion every other month.

But Mr. Drudge wouldn't be looking into THAT sort of problem, cause who cares about getting help for the crazies after all....it doesn't fit neatly into the point that he's trying to make.
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#4 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 02:08 PM

While I agree that the story about the woman having six abortions in a year is sensationalistic (at best), I have point out that the actual point here is that repeat abortions are on the rise - with 33% of women who have abortions having already had at least one in their lifetimes, at least in England.  I wonder what the stats are here in the US?

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#5 darthsikle

darthsikle
  • Dead account
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 02:33 PM

My ex had a radical idea which I learn more towards when I read this stuff, everyone should be sterilized (reversible type) at birth.  Once you pass a parenting class, mental exam and prove financial wherewithall, you can then have a license to have children.
Goodbye.

#6 Raina

Raina

Cpt. Raina 'Starlee'

• Validation Team
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:17 PM

darthsikle, on May 16 2005, 12:33 PM, said:

My ex had a radical idea which I learn more towards when I read this stuff, everyone should be sterilized (reversible type) at birth.  Once you pass a parenting class, mental exam and prove financial wherewithall, you can then have a license to have children.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that making you get sterilized then making you get a license to have children is starting to get into the area where you're encroaching on people's rights.
However, voluntary reversible sterilization would be a great idea. That way you can have all the sex you want and not have to deal with contraception. Heck, I'd get it done if I were given a choice. That way there's no way I could accidently end up pregnant (failed contraception, rape, etc.). Then if hell freezes over and I actually decide that I want to have children, I could.

"First thing they tell you is to assume you're already dead... dead men don't get scared or freeze up under fire. Me, I'm just worried that hell's gonna be a lonely place. And I'm gonna fill it up with every toaster son of a bitch I find." -Racetrack

"I believe what goes around comes around and if I am the instrument of 'coming round' then I'll do it happily. " -Shal

Viper Squadron CAG
Roman Warrior
Browncoat

#7 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:22 PM

Still, reversible sterilization isn't foolproof.  "Getting your tubes tied" still poses a risk of permanent sterilization, other medical risks, and it's still possible to get pregnant, since the tubes are merely closed rather than cut . . . an egg might still get through.

-Nick

#8 Raina

Raina

Cpt. Raina 'Starlee'

• Validation Team
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:25 PM

Nick, on May 16 2005, 08:22 PM, said:

Still, reversible sterilization isn't foolproof.  "Getting your tubes tied" still poses a risk of permanent sterilization, other medical risks, and it's still possible to get pregnant, since the tubes are merely closed rather than cut . . . an egg might still get through.

-Nick

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah too bad there's no foolproof reversible sterilization. It would sure make life a lot simpler!

"First thing they tell you is to assume you're already dead... dead men don't get scared or freeze up under fire. Me, I'm just worried that hell's gonna be a lonely place. And I'm gonna fill it up with every toaster son of a bitch I find." -Racetrack

"I believe what goes around comes around and if I am the instrument of 'coming round' then I'll do it happily. " -Shal

Viper Squadron CAG
Roman Warrior
Browncoat

#9 Smiley

Smiley

harumph

• Islander
  • 937 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 07:39 AM

Maybe all humans should be sterilized. Then the world could finally be a better place. ;)

Edited by Vicious Maggot, 17 May 2005 - 07:40 AM.

Friends are just enemies that don't have the guts to kill you.
See Ya Space Cowboy

#10 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 08:06 AM

It's sort of hitting me funny that Matt Drudge is so outraged about this, anyway... he's gay!  He's not gonna be having any kids or having to worry about birth control, anyway.   O' course, that doesn't mean he can't be concerned about abortion, but still, it's always odd seeing such commentaries come from him.   But he also cheers on every kind of anti-gay legislation that comes down the pike, too.  Weird, self-loathing guy...

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#11 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 08:07 AM

I think that making you get sterilized then making you get a license to have children is starting to get into the area where you're encroaching on people's rights

Way past encroachment.
Can't Touch This!!

#12 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

Fan of Many Things

• Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 02:12 PM

I'm extremely prochoice and give money and other support to organizations like Planned Parenthood! BUT 6 abortions in one year is outrageous!! That can't be good for her health, all those surgical procedures, and she ought to use some other kind of birth control!!! Jeeze!  

Make no mistake, legal, safe abortion should exist but abortion should be the last choice to make in terms of birth control.

Edited by shambalayogi, 17 May 2005 - 02:13 PM.

Shamba,
I Trust SNAPE!  so .. he better be loyal!
I Knew Where NZ was before LOTR!
Frodo Lives! Long Live the King!
It may not be a time of myth and legend, but it's
definitely a time for heroes and heroines!
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health, Abortion, Birth Control, 2005

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users