Demigods

• Please log in to reply
1171 replies to this topic

#1 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:01 PM

RHW's post is first. Threads are merged. Sorry for any confusion.

Just so that everyone can find Coda quickly,go to this page on Robert's website. - Atavus

Edited by GiGi, 28 February 2008 - 08:07 PM.

#2 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:09 PM

Crap, cat's out of the bag.  Jaimie and Rov are too damn efficient and got it up early.

Okay, it's out.  Let 'er rip!

"There are monsters, there are angels...
There's a peacefulness and a rage inside us all."
----------------------------------
Voice of the Beehive

#3 Gaheris

Gaheris
  • Islander
  • 629 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:11 PM

I also liked it very much. This is a great story and the show would have even been much better after Season 2. And Dylan doesn't save the day, yeah!

Good job Robert and thanks for sharing this document with us. Be proud you came up with better stuff than the other direction of the show contained.
So long ago, another life,
I can feel your heartbeat,
It's not a dream, remember us,
I can see it in your eyes.
We'll find a place in time, a place in time
Beyond the sun, we'll find a place in time, a place in time to go along...

#4 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:21 PM

Holy Freaking Crap

I have no questions, beyond the only one that matters

'And then what?......'

But I guess we'll never know. I'm not one of the people who hated the current incarnation of Andromeda, but I would have liked to have seen your vision too Robert.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#5 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,904 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:22 PM

Never mind....

Edited by Christopher, 26 May 2005 - 12:23 PM.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#6 ChicaFrom3

ChicaFrom3

saner than an emu on acid

• Islander
  • 5,474 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:22 PM

Nick, on May 26 2005, 01:01 PM, said:

(It really is all about Love and Blowing Stuff Up!)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:howling:

Gotta admit, cheered aloud at "Dylan goes mad"!

Robert, I love you forever, not just for posting this (and it's MILES better than what made it to the screen), but because you included Ignatius in your overall plan. *beams*
God Save and God Bless!
ChicaFrom3 - corrupting the world, one ex-stoner at a time.
Doing STRANGE THINGS in the Name of Art, and STRANGER THINGS in the Name of CHOCOLATE.
visit member profile for keeper titles

#7 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:24 PM

Okay, Coda is up at my website: .  So I'll answer questions here.

Just FYI though, I'll be away this weekend (Sat, Sun and Mon), so if you have a question and it goes unanswered for a few days, please be patient.

Thanks and enjoy.

Robert

Edited by GiGi, 27 February 2008 - 10:44 PM.

Voice of the Beehive

#8 Enkanowen

Enkanowen
  • Islander
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:25 PM

go Jaimie and Rov!

I read it and I really liked it. I like that format and I am very glad you chose the form of a play rather than giving us a "and then... and then...". It felt very much like an exposition on how the plot was supposed to go. The theatre geek in me loves expositions (when they are well done that is)

When I read it, I imagined Trance by herself on this HUGE black stage with a bunch of pinhole strs above her and a dim spotlight. For some reason, I was thinking of Harper more as a voice over than being there in person. I'll have to read it again, of course.

Heh, Trance is the 'devil'. Much better than what was it? Oh dear, I switched places with my future self? No, I am not bitter at all. ;)

#9 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:29 PM

Started a Q&A thread for comments and questions.  Sorry for the confusion.  But now everything should be in one place.

R

Voice of the Beehive

#10 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:34 PM

No question, well, yes, tons of them, more than I can ask.

Just, thank you.

I dont' hate Andromeda as it turned out, but thank you for posting this. I was a mindblowing read.

#11 ChicaFrom3

ChicaFrom3

• Islander
  • 5,474 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:36 PM

I have a question:

Robertwillyoumarryme?
God Save and God Bless!
Doing STRANGE THINGS in the Name of Art, and STRANGER THINGS in the Name of CHOCOLATE.

#12 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:37 PM

Tarantulas' questions:

1. Was this the plan for how the series would progress as of the end of season two, or was it thought up later?

Basically this was the plan I had late season one, early season two.  Some elements were slightly elaborated upon.  And there's no guarentee I wouldn't have changed my mind somewhere along the way.  But as of Sept of 2001, this was the story.

2. We know what happened to Beka and Harper at the end. Was there a plan for what was going to happen to the rest of the crew?

Hard to say.  Those are the kind of details that I would've nailed down toward the very end.  I think everyone else would've pretty much lived, though there're no guarentees.

3. When the war ends, who wins? Boredom or love?

Neither.  Love and Blowing Things Up continue forever.  The universe wins.

Edited by Robert Hewitt Wolfe, 26 May 2005 - 12:39 PM.

Voice of the Beehive

#13 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:38 PM

ChicaFrom3, on May 26 2005, 05:36 PM, said:

Robertwillyoumarryme?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Taken, but thanks for asking.

Voice of the Beehive

#14 ChicaFrom3

ChicaFrom3

• Islander
  • 5,474 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:39 PM

Oh, well. Why are all the good ones taken?
God Save and God Bless!

#15 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:41 PM

I was "squeeing" with joy while reading this!

Okay . . . here are a few questions:

1. So what's the story on the Vedrans cutting themselves off from the Slipstream?  Why'd they do it, why'd they come back, and what sort of state were they in (technology, prostperity-wise)?

2. Which star really was Trance's did it actually matter exactly which one she was?  In IMALL as they got further along Hasturi's directions and Trance was "dying" was it because she was loosing her connection to her star?

Thanks again!
-Nick

#16 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:42 PM

ChicaFrom3, on May 26 2005, 05:39 PM, said:

Why are all the good ones taken?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They're not.  There's someone out there for everyone.  I really believe that.  You just have to be open to what the universe will bring you.

What?  This is the Q&A thread and she asked a question.    :devil:

Voice of the Beehive

#17 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:46 PM

Nick, on May 26 2005, 05:41 PM, said:

1. So what's the story on the Vedrans cutting themselves off from the Slipstream?  Why'd they do it, why'd they come back, and what sort of state were they in (technology, prostperity-wise)?

When the Commonwealth fell, the Vedrans basically said to themselves "F this crap, we don't need the grief."  Using technology gleened from a fragment of the Engine of Creation, they cut their world (and several other systems) off from the Slipstream.  Their worlds were still there, just Slipstream inaccessible.  They were continuing to expand their "safe zone" when Dylan met that Vedran in season 2.

They come back because Dylan manages to find a way into their "safe zone" and reconnect it forcibly to the rest of the universe.  Giving them no choice but to help him battle the Abyss with their full might, which is considerable as they never suffered the full consequences of the Fall.

2. Which star really was Trance's did it actually matter exactly which one she was?  In IMALL as they got further along Hasturi's directions and Trance was "dying" was it because she was loosing her connection to her star?

A star in the Gemini constellation.  Not sure exactly which one.  It doesn't really matter.  And yes, that's why she was "dying."  Her puppet strings were getting cut.

Voice of the Beehive

#18 Caretaker

Caretaker
  • Islander
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:51 PM

So, let me get this straight...

What Trance says pretty much tells us that there are infinite possibilities, and so that every interpretation of Andromeda is correct and equally valid (whether it be RHW's, Engel's, a fan ficition writer's, the novelist's, et al.)? Am I understanding that correctly?

One of my biggest beefs with the Engels version is them saying that the Magog WorldShip was only a couple of hundred years old and built by a half-robot, half-alien.  Can this also be explained away as one of the many possibilties?

#19 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,904 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:53 PM

Wow.  All along, Robert, Zack, Ash, you guys told us that Andromeda was a show about Love and Blowing Stuff Up.  Now I understand what you actually meant by that, and how true it actually was.

The irony is that "Love" is essentially the bad guy -- or rather, that there is no clear-cut bad guy, just two cosmic forces with differing opinions on what's best for everybody (not unlike the Vorlons and Shadows in B5, or the powers described by Doris Egan in her Livejournal discussion of how Tru Calling would've gone).

The Spirit of the Abyss is an entity residing in the stable, peaceful equilibrium state existing between universes.  The Lucifers are the agents of dynamism and change.  Essentially, in the paradigm Trance used, "Love" means entropy, the tendency toward equilibrium and the cessation of energy flow, while "Blowing Stuff Up" means the processes which result in the localized or temporary reduction of entropy -- the main ones of which include life and intelligence.  Essentially the "devils" are the ones on the side of life.

Damn.  This is such a grand, epic vision, such a rich saga.  And it's fascinating to see how all the things set up in seasons 1-2 would've paid off later -- the Consensus of Parts, the Pyrians, the Engine of Creation, Rev's Magog offspring, the whole shebang.  This would've been remarkable to see unfold.  How in the world could the people at Tribune have thought that what they replaced it with could possibly be an improvement?

Actually, that's one thing that I was ambivalent about -- although it's satisfying to see the past 3.5 seasons of DROM dismissed as nothing more than one of Trance's extrapolated futures, I think it's kind of unflattering to Trance to propose that she's responsible for conceiving such a mess!  :devil:  Also, if she was trying to find a future that was happier for the people she cared about, then why did Tyr meet such an ignominious fate?

Question for Robert: how much of the characters' paths as described represent what would've happened in the show, as opposed to the Lucifers' original plan that Trance would've changed?  Now that I've read Coda, I'd be curious to know how you intended the story to unfold, in broad strokes -- what events would've happened in which seasons, that sort of thing.  Would all these great empires have arisen in just three seasons?  Would those seasons have represented three calendar years or jumped farther forward?  Or would Trance have derailed these plans before they really got underway -- saved Harper from becoming the Consensus, diverted Tyr from leading the Nietz's, etc. -- and told them "this is what was supposed to happen to you in the future but I've changed it"?

Anyway, thanks for posting this, and thanks in advance for any follow-up answers you care to give.  Damn, this could've been a hell of a show.

Edited by Christopher, 26 May 2005 - 12:54 PM.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#20 Ilphi

Ilphi
  • Islander
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:01 PM

Wow, Andromeda really was panning for something far grander than I imagined.

A question arises though, in terms of production. When everyone's got their own big Empire (Tyr, Harper, Rev, all controlling their own little universes) presumebly by about Late Season 4/ Early 5, did you intend for them all to stay on Andromeda (well, presumebly not Tyr since he was Dylan's enemy), or was Andromeda's episodes going to become quite fragmanted, with scenes jumping across the galaxies from Tyr's Empire, to Harper, to the Andromeda, to Revs'..etc.

Did you ever intend for Andromeda to get another crew once the Commonwealth was restored, and if so, did you have any minor story arcs planned for new characters (IE, more than just redshirts)?

Lastly, I always figured early on trying to piece the clues together that the "Long March" had something to do with it all, the ship that was lost before the show's start and which Andromeda was on patrol for in "Under The Night". Zack also once said that there was a Systems Commonwealth ship inside the Worldship, which I figured was the Long March. Was I way off the money in this, was it a dropped story idea, or did it have a part to play in the grand design?
Yea, ere my hot youth pass, I speak to my people and say:
Ye shall be foolish as I; ye shall scatter, not save;
Ye shall venture your all, lest ye lose what is more than all;
Ye shall call for a miracle, taking Christ at His word.
And for this I will answer, O people, answer here and hereafter,
The Fool - Padraic Pearse

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Demigods

2 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users