1171 replies to this topic

#21 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:02 PM

Caretaker, on May 26 2005, 05:51 PM, said:

So, let me get this straight...

What Trance says pretty much tells us that there are infinite possibilities, and so that every interpretation of Andromeda is correct and equally valid (whether it be RHW's, Engel's, a fan ficition writer's, the novelist's, et al.)? Am I understanding that correctly?

One of my biggest beefs with the Engels version is them saying that the Magog WorldShip was only a couple of hundred years old and built by a half-robot, half-alien.  Can this also be explained away as one of the many possibilties?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah.

And, errr... I'd say that the Magog Worldship scenario you're talking about is extremely unlikely.  Trance must've been hitting the Sparky Cola.

"There are monsters, there are angels...
There's a peacefulness and a rage inside us all."
----------------------------------
Voice of the Beehive

#22 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:08 PM

Great that you had Trance to the 'splainin'...

Awesome.

But - don't shoot, folk, just my opinion.  A little too mystical, too god-the-universe-and everything for my own taste.  For a multi-season tv show.  Maybe for any format for my own tastes, but to me this vision would have been better suited to a book, a movie, or a limited series.  Maybe something like they do in the UK, several series with fewer episodes.  I can see why it might be perceived as the infamous "too complicated" and too epic for a 20+ eps a season in syndicated tv by tptb and the more casual viewers.

I didn't hate what ended up on screen, and I liked a lot of it, although I agree that it sure wasn't what it could've been even by action-adventure standards - too much nonsense, too little followup, too many plot holes.  But I enjoyed it despite acknowledging its failures.

I might not have actually loved the Coda version, but I'm sure I'd have admitted its majesty.   [Spock]Fascinating[/Spock].   Incredible vision, incredible premise.  It doesn't sound like my cup of tv, but it sounds quite wonderful.

Themis
Cats will never be extinct!

#23 Ilphi

Ilphi
  • Islander
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:11 PM

Okay, two more, then I'll leave it alone for a while.

a) Who built/maintains all the Magog tech? It always seemed inconsitent to have this powerful AG/PSP/etc tech in the hands of savages.

b) Was there anything more to the Restorian storyline than we saw?
Yea, ere my hot youth pass, I speak to my people and say:
Ye shall be foolish as I; ye shall scatter, not save;
Ye shall venture your all, lest ye lose what is more than all;
Ye shall call for a miracle, taking Christ at His word.
And for this I will answer, O people, answer here and hereafter,
The Fool - Padraic Pearse

#24 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:13 PM

Christopher, on May 26 2005, 05:53 PM, said:

Question for Robert: how much of the characters' paths as described represent what would've happened in the show, as opposed to the Lucifers' original plan that Trance would've changed? 

This would've been how it played out.  Trance's main change to the Lucifers' plan was the endgame with Beka.

Now that I've read Coda, I'd be curious to know how you intended the story to unfold, in broad strokes -- what events would've happened in which seasons, that sort of thing.  Would all these great empires have arisen in just three seasons?  Would those seasons have represented three calendar years or jumped farther forward? 

All three empires already existed in nascent form, so they could've come together rapidly.  In about 2.5 seasons.  We never really committed to a season/year correspondence and played pretty loose with this.  But by mid season 5 they all would've been in place.

Or would Trance have derailed these plans before they really got underway -- saved Harper from becoming the Consensus, diverted Tyr from leading the Nietz's, etc. -- and told them "this is what was supposed to happen to you in the future but I've changed it"?

Nope, pretty much what she said was going to happen would've happened.

Voice of the Beehive

#25 Mr. Synystyr

Mr. Synystyr

Watching from the shadows...

• Islander
  • 459 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:33 PM

Thank you for this, Robert.  It would have been a delight to see a tale this epic in scale unfold on television.

What would you have liked to have done with the Andromeda and Rommie as this story unfolded?

Feel the velvet darkness caressing you...

#26 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:35 PM

Ilphi, on May 26 2005, 06:01 PM, said:

A question arises though, in terms of production. When everyone's got their own big Empire (Tyr, Harper, Rev, all controlling their own little universes) presumebly by about Late Season 4/ Early 5, did you intend for them all to stay on Andromeda (well, presumebly not Tyr since he was Dylan's enemy), or was Andromeda's episodes going to become quite fragmanted, with scenes jumping across the galaxies from Tyr's Empire, to Harper, to the Andromeda, to Revs'..etc.

Tyr would've been off the ship at the end of season three when KHC's contract expired.  So he would've become recurring.  Rev was already off this ship, so that was a done deal.  Harper's melding would've happened mid to late season 5

Did you ever intend for Andromeda to get another crew once the Commonwealth was restored, and if so, did you have any minor story arcs planned for new characters (IE, more than just redshirts)?

Yes and yes.

Lastly, I always figured early on trying to piece the clues together that the "Long March" had something to do with it all, the ship that was lost before the show's start and which Andromeda was on patrol for in "Under The Night". Zack also once said that there was a Systems Commonwealth ship inside the Worldship, which I figured was the Long March. Was I way off the money in this, was it a dropped story idea, or did it have a part to play in the grand design?

The Long March was supposed to have been the first ship to have discovered the Magog.  And yes, it would've been inside the Worldship.  Whether this would've played out in the long run is anyone's guess.

Voice of the Beehive

#27 Mr.Calgary

Mr.Calgary

Has left.

• Islander
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:41 PM

Christopher, on May 26 2005, 10:53 AM, said:

How in the world could the people at Tribune have thought that what they replaced it with could possibly be an improvement?

Damn, this could've been a hell of a show.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Themis, on May 26 2005, 11:08 AM, said:

I can see why it might be perceived as the infamous "too complicated" and too epic for a 20+ eps a season in syndicated tv by tptb and the more casual viewers.
Themis

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A very enjoyable read.  :)

I suppose my only question is, do you have any intention of passing this on to Tribune and company?

I disagree with Themis' view.  I would have seen the $$$$$ signs resulting from an epic series.  Tribune needed to expand their thinking.
Favourite Coda thread quotes.....

(1)  Yes. Bad Trance! Wicked, Evil Trance!

(2)  Stayed purple.   (3)  Bad, bad Trance!

(4)  Love and Blowing Things Up continue forever. The universe wins

#28 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,919 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:44 PM

Robert Hewitt Wolfe, on May 26 2005, 02:35 PM, said:

Tyr would've been off the ship at the end of season three when KHC's contract expired.  So he would've become recurring.

So how close was Tyr's arc in S3 to what you originally planned?  Of course I assume he would've recurred afterward more often than he ultimately did.

Rev was already off this ship, so that was a done deal.

Uhh, do you mean because of Brent Stait's makeup problem that you had to deal with?  I.e. in the original plan, when would he have left, if real-world factors hadn't intervened?

Did you ever intend for Andromeda to get another crew once the Commonwealth was restored, and if so, did you have any minor story arcs planned for new characters (IE, more than just redshirts)?

Yes and yes.

Did you intend or hope for any of the guest characters we met in the first season and a half to become regulars later on?

I'd love to hear more about the role the Pyrians would've played, and their relationship with the Lucifers.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#29 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,626 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:47 PM

Did the Nietzscheans ...

All right.  Not quite so simple a question though I can see a simple answer.

Would the Nietzscheans again have attained the heights they had during the Commonwealth under Tyr?  And where would this leave the Nietzscheans on Terazed?

Also, the sentient warships recovered in tKD&tD, would the role of AIE's in Dylan's new Commonwealth have been further explored?

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#30 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:53 PM

*wipes a tear from her eye*

Wow, Robert.  Thank you for doing this, that was a perfect ending to this journey that a started with a TV show named Andromeda.

I have questions, but really just want to absorb the Coda for now.

Again, thank you for this gift.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#31 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:56 PM

Edit : GAH! Thread moved!!! Thank god for the new save post feature!!! :eek3:

Warning : I pull no punches. This has been a LONG time coming, so I'm giving myself closure and all that stuff.....

I snuck a peak at this while i was at work. (How much of a geek am I?)

Ok, lets go :

This is better then what Tribune gave us.....Well...duh, I picked more interesting things out of my nose then what we got from Tribune. Be Specific eT! Ok, ok :

Why do i like this verson better you ask? Well....

1) It's actualy all planned out. Sure we only got one year of Andromeda, the REAL Andromeda but it was all THERE. The seeds of the crew's final fates were THERE. Even that annoying Borg guy had a purpose after all! :D

2) It was all about Trance.

I knew it, every Trancer back in the day that earned their tails the hard way knew this. You mocked us and laughed as we bounced around trying in vain to tell you but who's bouncing NOW! Mwaaahahahahaaa!

2A) Laughing, pretty, flower loving Trance was the devil. And once again, we Trancers picked up on this right away. We may not have had all the notes but we sure as heck knew the song. I can't say how happy this makes me and how disapointing it is that we never had a chance to see it.

2B) But in this story the Devil loves life. Sweet, oh so very sweet. (Once again can we go back to my initial point and say how much this story kicks the butt of what we got? *sigh* I'm sure this was one of those parts that ol'Sorbo didn't like. PhhhhT!

3) I need to tell you a secret. Towards the end of the season, and especialy in the finale I....

...hey can we keep this between just the two of us?....

ok.

I was starting to like Tyr.

Yup. He will always be the Tree, but I liked him bark and all. It wasn't until they started to tear him apart that I didn't like him again. But by then the show was pretty much dead anyway.

I LOVE the Tyr in the Coda. Nuff said.

4) Harper. What can I say, this is a wonderful ending for the character.

5) Beka? Well, I was never very much into the Engine of Creation story. I hated the Tribune verson but this at least promised something bigger. I'm nto sure the show would have been able to handle something so....big. I mean even at the best of times it had problems with it's production.

But i would have loved to see them TRY.

6) Andromeda. I'm kinda sorry that she ended the show still being the ship. Errr.... Let me say that better. i mean, sure....she's a ship but I would have liked her try for something....MORE. I'm nto usre how else to say it. Everyone gets these kewl endings but poor Rommie is still...you know. A ship.  :blush:

7) Dylan. I'm going to try to be fair here. I HATE Dylan, there is no denying that fact. No there is a chance that my opion of the character could be coming from Sorbo's destruction of the show. :devil: And one of the reasons that I stopped watching the show was the constant Cheerleading Gold Trance did for Dylan and I didn't like Purple Trance doing the same thing....but....I could deal with this. In a perfect world where this was what we got and none of the tedious hero worship of season 2....I could deal with this.

So, to finaly stop typing and read what you guys are saying, I just want to say thank you to Robert, the cast and crew of Andromeda.

The show may not have lived happily ever after but was oner heck of a ride for this fan! I for one am looking forward to everyone's next project!

enTranced
Posted Image

#32 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:04 PM

Christopher, on May 26 2005, 05:53 PM, said:

Actually, that's one thing that I was ambivalent about -- although it's satisfying to see the past 3.5 seasons of DROM dismissed as nothing more than one of Trance's extrapolated futures, I think it's kind of unflattering to Trance to propose that she's responsible for conceiving such a mess!  :devil:  Also, if she was trying to find a future that was happier for the people she cared about, then why did Tyr meet such an ignominious fate?

Anyway, thanks for posting this, and thanks in advance for any follow-up answers you care to give.  Damn, this could've been a hell of a show.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sheesh.

When will i learn to just post :

What Chris Said!

enTranced - And considering I have a brother named Chris who happens to be my best friend this is irony in the extreme.....
Posted Image

#33 Caretaker

Caretaker
  • Islander
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:11 PM

Another question or two: Coda - Where does it go in relation to the episodes? It is definitely after "Ouroboros", but it seems to be what this says is you watch the show all the way through, then Coda occurs explaining that everything from Coda onward is Trance trying to manipulate history again.

Basically, if you looked at all this on a timeline, where does Coda fall? Season two?

Also, why is the Abyss so impatient? What is the desperate need to prematurely end the cycle?

And finally, for now, how much of the story as you had mapped out did you tell to the rest of the cast and crew? Did they have any idea what you had planned?

Edited by Caretaker, 26 May 2005 - 02:14 PM.

#34 NexusNine

NexusNine

The Dystopian Cyber-Punk

• Islander
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:13 PM

:drool:  

Wow!  I think I just spoke for most everyone that read this. :D  

So, Andromeda was pretty much always meant to have sort of this biblical parallel.  I can't say that doesn't send off explosions in my thinking process. :D  I think what's most interesting about this is that you've blurred the idea of what good and evil is, that Trance is a devil out to destroy love, or harmony, only to be infected by its charms.  Trance, in her quest for a perfect possible future -- and maybe you can confirm if this is right or not -- diverts from the original plan; hence, saying that "perfect" is a relative term; it's in the eyes of the beholder, and all individuals play their own little parts in shaping the whole.  The whole, however, is never exactly the same, and what's not happened can be changed to divert it one way or the other.  

So, here's my question:  

Q: After reading "Coda", I get the impression that Trance was saying that the universe never really ends, that things may disappear for a while as the universe collapses in on itself, but in that chaos comes life, and everything that was will be again.   Basically, the same game pieces (if you will) playing the game all over again, but not quite the same as the time before, and that one different from the time before that... so on and so forth.  Is she basically saying that an end is simply the means to a new beginning; hence, our characters are never truly gone, but out there in some way, shape or form playing their part to bring balance to the universe?  

Sorry if that reads like rambling. :)

Edited by Slipfighter, 26 May 2005 - 02:19 PM.

Posted Image
My Horror Film Short: on YouTube
Slipfighter's Drawings: Nocturnal Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=46699  
Slipfighter's Drawings: Regular Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=34628  
Original Ex Isle Screen Name: Slipfighter

#35 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:16 PM

This was a glorious read, Robert. Considering that the production values tended to sink the early episodes, I'm not sure how this grand vision would have turned out... but compared to what we got, I sure would have been around to see you try.

I can't tell you how relieving it is to see Trance actually speaking English. ;)
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#36 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:17 PM

enTranced, on May 26 2005, 11:56 AM, said:

3) I need to tell you a secret. Towards the end of the season, and especialy in the finale I....

...hey can we keep this between just the two of us?....

ok.

I was starting to like Tyr.

Yup. He will always be the Tree, but I liked him bark and all. It wasn't until they started to tear him apart that I didn't like him again. But by then the show was pretty much dead anyway.

I LOVE the Tyr in the Coda. Nuff said.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I knew it all along.  :hehe:  :p  :whistle:

And I'll admit, I was VERY happy to see Purple Trance back.  :D  :love:

anyway....

THANK YOU ROBERT!!!! I can't tell you how much I, 1) appreciate an ending to what began as a GREAT story, and 2) that it was a GREAT scene in the bargain.  Simply put, YOU ROCK!!!!!

I'll come back with questions, right now I'm just greatful to have "Coda" on my hard drive.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#37 Caretaker

Caretaker
  • Islander
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:17 PM

Slipfighter, I heard something similar once about Battlestar Galactica (basically, the theory that
Spoiler: click to show/hide
the Lords of Kobol created the universe, and the original series happened, but they didn't like the end results, so they ended it and restarted it again, and this is what we see as the new BG).

I kind of like it in that it doesn't mean that what came before doesn't matter.  It's kind of nice knowing that no matter how good or bad things go, a second chance is always available.

#38 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,191 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:20 PM

All I can say is WOW. This makes up for 3.5 years. Most definitely. :)

Rommie :cylon:
Posted Image

#39 NexusNine

NexusNine

The Dystopian Cyber-Punk

• Islander
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:24 PM

Caretaker, on May 26 2005, 07:17 PM, said:

Slipfighter, I heard something similar once about Battlestar Galactica (basically, the theory that
Spoiler: click to show/hide
the Lords of Kobol created the universe, and the original series happened, but they didn't like the end results, so they ended it and restarted it again, and this is what we see as the new BG).

I kind of like it in that it doesn't mean that what came before doesn't matter.  It's kind of nice knowing that no matter how good or bad things go, a second chance is always available.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to agree with you on this. :cool:
Posted Image
My Horror Film Short: on YouTube
Slipfighter's Drawings: Nocturnal Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=46699  
Slipfighter's Drawings: Regular Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=34628  
Original Ex Isle Screen Name: Slipfighter

#40 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:39 PM

Josh, on May 26 2005, 07:16 PM, said:

This was a glorious read, Robert. Considering that the production values tended to sink the early episodes, I'm not sure how this grand vision would have turned out... but compared to what we got, I sure would have been around to see you try.

I can't tell you how relieving it is to see Trance actually speaking English. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Production values can be overcome by simply TRYING. If the first season has any legacy it is this one.

In other words if the writing kicks ass everything else will follow. :)

As to Trance forget about the english part it was wonderful to just "see" TRANCE. I fell in love all over again.  :love:

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 26 May 2005 - 02:40 PM.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Demigods

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users