"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#42 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:54 PM

Excellent job, Robert.  Truly.  You made me appreciate the fact that I stuck with the fandom, more or less, for the past 3 years.  Really.

So, does Hohne live or die? ;)
"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#43 karra

karra
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:55 PM

Did you have any plans for Gaheris/Telemachus Rhade?

Also, a few of us have always felt that what we've heard of Ingatius Valentine made him sound very similar to Harper. Was that intentional?

Edited by karra, 26 May 2005 - 02:56 PM.

#44 Rayhana

Rayhana
  • Islander
  • 961 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:07 PM

Right now I can't say if I would have have loved, liked or disliked the show had it gone along these lines.  I think the god vs universe idea is a bit much for me, and some other folks I know, but not knowing how some of the eps would have brought this entire idea across I can't say how I would have felt.  My first feelings after reading were depression and sadness, yet some of the aspects, I loved.  I did love the idea of Tyr, Rev, Beka and Harper each coming into greatness and the idea of all them combining with Dylan to destroy the Abyss.  The idea of Beka becoming love was fascinating and I really liked that idea, finding it ironic given her love life.  Harper however becoming a machine, nope, didn't like that a bit.  But I'm just not sure about the whole idea of Trance being Lucifer, of that whole set up, or how that would have been responded to by viewers.  I have very mixed feelings at the moment. (one is, is this real, I mean really what you would have done)  I'm not saying what we got in the end was what I really wanted to see either, there were plenty of plot holes and dangling story lines and strangness I didn't care for.  So again, without having the chance to read what some of the eps might have been like, I really can't say if I prefer this, if I like or not.  It was a fascinating ready to say the least and does have me thinking about how the 5 years could have gone and on some level it's interesting, on another is extremely depressing, and on another almost too moralistic for my taste, but again, I just don't know.

Edited by Rayhana, 26 May 2005 - 04:10 PM.

#45 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:10 PM

I guess I was never meant to like this show.

Edited by Kosh, 26 May 2005 - 03:41 PM.

Can't Touch This!!

#46 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:12 PM

:love: Lovely. :love:

Jill
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

#47 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,100 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:18 PM

Caretaker, on May 26 2005, 03:11 PM, said:

Another question or two: Coda - Where does it go in relation to the episodes? It is definitely after "Ouroboros", but it seems to be what this says is you watch the show all the way through, then Coda occurs explaining that everything from Coda onward is Trance trying to manipulate history again.

Basically, if you looked at all this on a timeline, where does Coda fall? Season two?

Yes and no.  Trance tells Harper, "At this moment, I'm trying to decide whether to save you... or to let you die and save Hohne."  I.e. the climax of "Ouroboros."  But she's also speaking from the perspective of the end of the series.  So she's saying that everything from the climax of "Ouroboros" onward, as seen onscreen, has simply been her own "daydreaming" during that moment as she weighs possible futures and explores increasingly improbable options.

So basically not only is "Coda" taking place in the mid-2nd season, but so are the rest of the 2nd season and the 3rd-5th seasons. ;)
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#48 Happy Phantom

Happy Phantom

Chasing nuns out in the yard

• Islander
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:26 PM

:wub: So amazing. I'll ask my questions later. Now on to important things, like saving this to my computer...  :harper:

Thank you, RHW. I can't wait to see what you come up with next!
<~~~Rebekah, Viper pilot. Callsign: "Flash"

And if I die today I'll be the happy phantom. And I will never need umbrellas in the rain. - "Happy Phantom", Tori Amos

Lee and Kara | River Tam | Simon Tam | Beka Valentine | Legolas | Charlie Eppes

Formerly BekaMP3

#49 SwiftBiscuit

SwiftBiscuit

There has to be a better way

• Islander
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:29 PM

Many thanks for making this public, I've been waiting for it ever since the death of the show years back. We had faith that you had a grand story to tell and it really was.

My question is, would Dylan have been a goodie goodie boy scout for the whole thing? I always wondered if you intended for him to become more hard nosed as time went by. :)

#50 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:03 PM

Fantastic RHW!!!!

Stands smugly alongside EnTranced and smiles knowingly.

Purple Trance...*happy sigh* :love:

LoP

Edited by Lover of Purple, 26 May 2005 - 04:04 PM.

#51 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:11 PM

I can say that it went in ways I did not expect, which weren't entirely how I would have liked but it also confirmed other suspiscions I'd had. It was still a great pleasure to have this chance to interact with you and Zack and Ash and the others on Andromeda for as long as it lasted. It was my first and so far only time I've become connected to a show in that way.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#52 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:16 PM

Christopher, on May 26 2005, 02:44 PM, said:

Robert Hewitt Wolfe, on May 26 2005, 02:35 PM, said:

Tyr would've been off the ship at the end of season three when KHC's contract expired.  So he would've become recurring.

So how close was Tyr's arc in S3 to what you originally planned?  Of course I assume he would've recurred afterward more often than he ultimately did.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Robert, first of all thanks for doing this.

My questions, so you're saying that KHC's original contract was only for three years? It was my understanding that was a renegotiation from five years. Or was it only the potential number of times he would reappear that was renegotiated.

In addition to what Christopher is asking I find myself wanting to know how Tyr would have reunited the Nietzscheans which really wasn't explained in the S4 that aired either. Specifically, would your Tyr have masqueraded as The Progenitor Reborn or would he have made clear from the beginning he was working on behalf of his son. Based on what Dylan said in Immaculate Perception re wishing Tamerlane was The Progenitor, and that he would have survived why would Tyr's path have required Dylan and Tyr to become enemies?

As for the entire vision I somehow find it harder to get my mind around the Abyss as love than I do Trance as Lucifer and I honestly don't like either characterization.

Oh and {{{{{{{{{{eT}}}}}}}}}
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#53 Kamen_Rider

Kamen_Rider
  • Islander
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:26 PM

:eek4:

Awesome read...I don't have any real questions about it except...WHY COULDN'T THE SHOW HAVE BEEN LIKE THIS?!! Ok, I know the literal answer to this question, but damn...this would have made for a different show.

:::Bows before RHW::::

#54 Atavus

Atavus

Buying more stuff on eBay

• Islander
  • 4,116 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:44 PM

Wow, that was a great read. Thank you Robert, you made me miss the show. :)

Also, can I just say how happy I am that everyone is being nice and friendly in this thread. Keep it up guys, it's a mods dream (or should that be perfect possible future ;) )
Avid fan of "Everybody Loves Hypno-Toad" and Sophie

3000 posts and counting! :) - 18 October 05

#55 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

Shh... the lambs are sleeping...

• Islander
  • 6,687 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:02 PM

All I can say it is: WOW!!

Robert, you not only made sense out of three seasons that didn't maker that much sense in themselves, but you also confirmed one of my oldest theories about Trance, which I concocted after I saw Pitiless As The Sun. That Trance or her people, the Lucifers, were initially responsible for the Big Bang. I had this theory for so long, and believe me, I even didn't really let go of it after Trance explained her true nature in season 4. it just fit too well. Thanks for this! :)

The idea that the universe after the Big Bang is expanding and Love wanted to bring order back into that chaos by puling everything back into one singularity is phenomenal. And how all the stories we saw in the first season laid the groundwork for this epic arc make the season, depsite the lower production values, all the more valuable to the show.

So here are some questions:

- Would you consider a Black Hole to be the tool for love to pull the universe back into singularity piece by piece?

- When we saw an alternate version of Beka in Ouroboros, it was obvioulsy a Beka closer to the one that would in the end become the Abyss. But why was there an alternate Trance?
I know you wrote Ouroboros to try and show us a portion of what was the original idea of the arc for the show. But of course it all was more hints than actual facts, as we never really got to see why we saw what we saw in that episode. What were your thoughts when you wrote that story? Why did you make the change for Trance? I have the distinct feeling that Trance would have never acutally changed at all, but you were forced to find a way to make her look different, because TPTB wanted her to be more "adult". Am I right?

- If Trance was not the only one who could have created such a Perfect Possible Future, how is it that she could have played out the one she wanted to happen? If her brothers and sisters wanted a different one, why did they let Trance proceed, since they all could play out scenarios of possible futures as well? Wouldn't it have ended in a total mess where diefferent futures would have been played out and one interfered with the other (Am I still making sense here?)? :D

OK, I think I'll take a break here and let you answer those if you are willing. I'll be back with more thoughts later as I still am floating in what would truly have been an amazing experience on the screen.

Oh, and by the way: If Scarlett ever makes it on the air, you just booked me as a devoted follower. If the arc for this is even half as good as the one for Andromeda, then it must be great.

Greets
Lambsilencer

#56 ElGato

ElGato
  • Islander
  • 635 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:22 PM

While it's great to finally be able to read, straight from the author, the vision for 5 years of Andromeda, I'm not sure I particularly like the way it would have gone. This "epic" vision is far too dark for an episodic TV series. Especially one that the producers were trying to syndicate worldwide. While I'm not a big fan of how it ended up, I feel that I enjoyed what we got far more than what we would have gotten, if RHW's version had made it to screen.  :ninja:

#57 aldomar

aldomar
  • Islander
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:22 PM

Nice Robert, Thanks for this.It's too bad we didn't get to see it on the screen, but at least, thanks to you, we got to see it here. And thank you for the part we did get to see on screen. I had a feeling Beka was more important to this whole thing than it first appeared.

Thanks for the adventure.

#58 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:26 PM

I'm honestly really surprised that people are objecting to the "darkness" of how Andromeda could have gone. It's really no darker than shows like Moore's BSG or to a lesser extent, the later parts of DS9.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#59 entroki

entroki
  • Islander
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:31 PM

Now, see, if this actually was made, we wouldn't be trying to make a virtual sixth season ;) It would have perfect, absolute closure, not like that crap they tried to cram into two episodes.
"A Nietzschean walks into a bar with a potato on his head, so the bartender says, 'Hey Uber, what's with the tuber?' And the Niet shoves the guy a goober right up his tumor."
--Hart's Bad Drom Jokes, Vol. 1, #1

Keeper of Harper's bed restraints (ITL).
Keeper of Slartibartfast's fjords.
Owner of:
4 Harper clones, various
1 Picard clone (it was an accident)
1 Tyr clone

#60 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,225 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:51 PM

Never answered the question, does Harper get laid?

ok, ok, need to be serious :D I'm just basking in my enjoyment of this though, thank you, sincerly, RHW, so I can't think seriously ;)

I do have a couple questions though, that I can think straight enough for ;)

Once you said (or someone did) that there was a reason Trance was purple. Maybe it was answered someone, sometimes, but no where I ever saw it :D
Why was she purple? You've answer why her last name was Gemini (the constalation... was the other Gemini star avatar ever going to show up?). What about her first name? Where did she pick up Trance?
Also: you answered what was going to happen with everyone else, more or less, except for Trance. Of course shes going to be moving everything along in the direction she wants ;) But anything else?
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Demigods

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users