Demigods

• Please log in to reply
1171 replies to this topic

#581 Lunar Endil

Lunar Endil
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 09:24 PM

First and foremost, I'd like to thank you for Coda. It was a great read.

I didn't know till I was directed to the "Ok, I wrote it" thread that RHW had stopped writing, and I idioticly hung on till the bitter end hoping to see some of the Season 1 and 2 stuff explained.
I know only wish I had discovered this Message Board earlier, if for nothing else then to know not to waste my time hoping.
I truly thank you for the closure of Coda, and I'm glad I have an idea of how it would all turn out. It sounds like exactly the kind of story I love.

The only question I have is, what exactly happened to cause them to fire you? I can't thnk of a reason, the show seemed to be doing exellently...

#582 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 09:28 PM

Lunar Endil, on Jun 5 2005, 07:24 PM, said:

The only question I have is, what exactly happened to cause them to fire you? I can't thnk of a reason, the show seemed to be doing exellently...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

See his above comment re: 'They were stoooooopid.' :devil:  And read my book (see link below) for an in-depth examination of the topic. ;)

Jill
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

#583 dec55

dec55
  • Islander
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 09:40 PM

:lol......I like Rommie's ending......seems she is the only one that has a happy one in this
version.... from Trances coversation with Harper :D

Interesting.....alternate.

Edited by dec55, 05 June 2005 - 09:43 PM.

#584 standish

standish
  • Islander
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 01:18 AM

Hi.  I've been lurking here for awhile, but this thread finally spurred me to register.

I watched my tape of Ouroboros last night, and it raised a question.  It seems from previous discussions that it's pretty well accepted that Trance turned on the machine to save Harper's life without regard to the future consequences.  Trance says as much to Dylan at the end of the episode, and Dylan buys it completely, even commenting that the honesty is a change for her.  But, I question whether or not she was really being completely honest even then.

The conversation that took place before the machine was activated indicated that the destruction of the machine would bring Hohne back, doom Harper, and (here's the kicker) restore Purple Trance in the current timeline.  Obviously, Gold Trance wanted to fix mistakes she made in her past.  She wouldn't be around to do that if the machine were destroyed.

So, my question to Robert is...  Although I'm sure Gold Trance honestly wanted to see Harper live, was her true motivation for activating the machine to keep herself in the current timeline rather than Purple Trance?

Also, how would the scene have played out if you'd been allowed to continue with the character as Purple Trance?

Thanks in advance, and let me also add my sincere thanks and appreciation for Coda.

#585 Xenaclone

Xenaclone
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 02:08 AM

Anyone here watch 'Joan of Arcadia'?  We've got season 2 playing out this side of The Pond.  Anyhow, in Friday's episode Joan had a conversation with God right at the end when God was a little girl of about 8 or 9.  This is what God said:-

'Love is a bright light in the universe and a bright light casts a long shadow'.

Given the discussions we've been having here, I nearly yelled <G>.

<Got the chills now!>

Xenaclone

#586 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 02:34 AM

Atavus, on Jun 2 2005, 12:59 AM, said:

I've got a follow-up question. Now you've said upthread that Harper's transformation into a machine would have been done in a way that you hoped we would not notice at first. You've also said a Harper/Andromeda relationship would have eventually formed. Is it a safe guess that Harper's corruption into more machine than human would have begun because he wanted to be able to merge with the core AI the way only another AI could?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No.  Harper's transformation started when he got his datajack installed.  It would've continued with nanotech immune boosters to help stabilize his poor health.  Then an organ replacement.  An enhancement here, an injury there.

Though eventually, we would've had Harper have the accident Future Beka had, that would've cyborged him a few episodes before his Upload.

The romance would've happened in that period, from cyboring to uploading and afterwards.

"There are monsters, there are angels...
There's a peacefulness and a rage inside us all."
----------------------------------
Voice of the Beehive

#587 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 02:35 AM

SpartanJP, on Jun 2 2005, 06:44 AM, said:

My question is this, was Dylan important because he got stuck in the black hole so he was the last remnant of the old CW or did he get stuck in the black hole because he was important so that he could be a remnant of all that use to be good and CW like?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

More A than B.  But a bit of B too.

Voice of the Beehive

#588 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 02:40 AM

Lambsilencer, on Jun 2 2005, 07:12 AM, said:

Robert Hewitt Wolfe, on Jun 2 2005, 09:44 AM, said:

Nah.  Andromeda had way more than three forms.

More than three forms? Now you made me ask... :D What other forms were there?

Every missile, every nanobot, every Maria, both Tweedles, all unmanned fighters, every sensors drone, and every other robotic weapon or system on Andromeda is an avatar of the main Andromeda AI.

And while I'm at it: Not to go all religious, but I'm just interested: Your vision of Andromeda excludes the presence of God, am I correct? Or where would He fit in in all this? Creating the Lucifers and the Abyss maybe?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My story neither includes nor excludes God.  God is beyond proof or disproof.  You either have faith that there is a God or you have faith that there isn't.  

So some people in the Andromeda universe (Rev Bem) believe in God, and some (Tyr) don't.  Just like the real world.

But God was never going to show up on screen.

Voice of the Beehive

#589 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 02:41 AM

QueenTiye, on Jun 2 2005, 07:17 AM, said:

Hohne! :love:  That was my second Drom crush! What would have been plans for him if he had come on the show as a regular?  Those discussions, I assume, were before Oroborous.  Where did you think he would have fit?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He would've provided another point of view, one which valued knowledge over bigger concerns like good or evil, civilization and chaos, or living or dying.  Plus he would've been an alien in a crew that was looking awefully human.

Voice of the Beehive

#590 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 02:43 AM

Christopher, on Jun 2 2005, 07:26 AM, said:

Robert Hewitt Wolfe, on Jun 2 2005, 03:24 AM, said:

No.  He would have grown into it.  His schoolboy lust-fueled crush would've become real genuine love.  And yes, he would've hooked up with some form of Andromeda at some point.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Robert Hewitt Wolfe, on Jun 2 2005, 03:28 AM, said:

Would there have been any other hookups between the crew? 

Harper/Andromeda (not Rommie, Andromeda).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So when you say "hooked up," you're speaking in a somewhat literal sense?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, they could've gone wireless.

Voice of the Beehive

#591 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 02:48 AM

QueenTiye, on Jun 2 2005, 07:38 AM, said:

Robert - was it your intention to imply that there was no further evolution possible for Nietzscheans? If so, why?  Here you've said that this was a mistake in their engineering, but it did not come across as a mistake in its onscreen description.  What am I missing?

Also - is there any chance we'll ever see the Writings of Drago Museveni, or the teachings of Paul Museveni?

QT

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No.  Nietzscheans evolve just like anyone.  The nanites prevent post birth genetic damage from radiation or disease.  

But Museveni did make some kind of mistake in the engineering of the gene that created the possibility for the rare (one in a billion, maybe even longer odds than that) repetition of certain founder gene patterns.

As for the writings of Drago or Paul, I doubt anyone would pay me to write such things, but maybe some future novelist will incorporate such things in an Andromeda novel, assuming they're still being written,

Voice of the Beehive

#592 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 02:50 AM

Lady Maigrey, on Jun 2 2005, 08:00 AM, said:

Okay, Robert I know you didn't watch Andromeda after you left, but Robert Would Rafe have returned and in what capacity, aside from being Beka's Brother? Did you have plans for him? And the Tweedles just seemed to disappear after "The Prince" would they have been used more?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would've liked to bring Rafe back, but mainly in relation to Beka.  He didn't have a role to play in the greater scheme (but we might've come up with one).

And I would've loved to use the Tweedles again.

Voice of the Beehive

#593 flyx

flyx
  • Islander
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 02:51 AM

... I was just listening to the awesome Season 1 Main Theme composed by Alex Lifeson, including the narration by Kevin.
Now, what I was wondering ...
What would the opening narration for Season 3, 4 and 5 have been?
I mean, obviously the New Commonwealth would've been wrapped up at the end of Season 2, like you said ... I dunno. Unimportant question, I know. :blush:
Leaves
Dance in her precious eden
Where she lies deep
Her loss in life engraved
In dusk and angeltears

#594 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 02:55 AM

The Abyss, on Jun 2 2005, 08:13 AM, said:

Series Finale it left us feeling that the Abyss didn't really have any form of personality, although we did see some in Chaos and the Stillness Of It. Now to my question. Would you have shaped the Abyss with a personality or without one? 

Oh, and one more thing if you don't mind, what would be the Abyss's destructive capability?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I would've given the Abyss the ability to communicate through a character that would've been introduced, then eventually would've turned out to be a channel for the Abyss... Ignatius Valentine.  Mwahahahahahahahaha!

Err.  Sorry.  Evil laughs just happen sometimes.

The Abyss' destructive capability?  The Abyss can and will destroy everything that exists, but he does it veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery sloooooooooooooooowly.  Black holes are limited by the speed of light.

In his incarnate form?  He's about as tough as your average superhero.  Probably about on the Cyclops scale.   :cool:

Voice of the Beehive

#595 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 02:55 AM

1 am here and I'm off to bed.

More to come.

Edited by Robert Hewitt Wolfe, 06 June 2005 - 02:56 AM.

Voice of the Beehive

#596 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,064 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 07:13 AM

Robert Hewitt Wolfe, on Jun 6 2005, 03:40 AM, said:

But God was never going to show up on screen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not even as a Terry Gilliam animation?

"Dylan, Captain of the Commonwealth, your crew of the Andromeda shall have a task to make them an example in these dark times."
"Good idea, O Lord!"
"Course it's a good idea!"

Robert Hewitt Wolfe, on Jun 6 2005, 03:41 AM, said:

Plus [Hohne] would've been an alien in a crew that was looking awefully human.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I doubt it would've worked on a Tribune budget, though.

Robert Hewitt Wolfe, on Jun 6 2005, 03:55 AM, said:

In [the Abyss's] incarnate form?  He's about as tough as your average superhero.  Probably about on the Cyclops scale.   :cool:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let's see, that'd be:
Intelligence: 3 (Learned)
Strength: 2 (Normal: able to lift own body weight)
Speed: 2 (Normal)
Durability: 2 (Normal)
Energy Projection: 5 (Long range, long duration, single energy type)
Fighting Skills: 4 (Experienced fighter)
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#597 ChicaFrom3

ChicaFrom3

saner than an emu on acid

• Islander
  • 5,474 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 10:20 AM

Yes, I would've given the Abyss the ability to communicate through a character that would've been introduced, then eventually would've turned out to be a channel for the Abyss... Ignatius Valentine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:eek4: *throws things* I swear my heart stopped when I read this...

Mwahahahahahahahaha!

Err.  Sorry.  Evil laughs just happen sometimes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

God Save and God Bless!
ChicaFrom3 - corrupting the world, one ex-stoner at a time.
Doing STRANGE THINGS in the Name of Art, and STRANGER THINGS in the Name of CHOCOLATE.
visit member profile for keeper titles

#598 KRAD

KRAD

just smile and wave, boys -- smile and wave

• Demigod
  • 3,574 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 10:50 AM

Robert Hewitt Wolfe, on Jun 6 2005, 02:55 AM, said:

Yes, I would've given the Abyss the ability to communicate through a character that would've been introduced, then eventually would've turned out to be a channel for the Abyss... Ignatius Valentine.  Mwahahahahahahahaha!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Always knew Iggy'd go and do something with himself............
Keith R.A. DeCandido
keith@decandido.net
www.DeCandido.net
kradical.livejournal.com

"Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk."
---Tom Waits, "Heartattack and Vine"

#599 Lunar Endil

Lunar Endil
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 11:26 AM

Robert Hewitt Wolfe, on Jun 6 2005, 02:55 AM, said:

Yes, I would've given the Abyss the ability to communicate through a character that would've been introduced, then eventually would've turned out to be a channel for the Abyss... Ignatius Valentine.  Mwahahahahahahahaha!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, thinking on the fact that Beka imbraces the Abyss in the end, that would be a very clever way of helping her towards that decision.

One more question, I noticed you choose purple Trance in Coda, but still accnoliged(sp) gold Trance through Harper's shock, so my question is this, in Coda, is gold Trance part of the "false" future, or a genuine part of the plot in your eyes?

#600 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 04:51 PM

A few more questions for Robert when he's got some spare time:

1.) What form is the show's bible in?  Is it an actual printed document & is there any chance of it being made available (in complete form) to the general public.  I know there are probably legalities to be worked out . . . but is it "together" enough to be publishable?

2.) We know Hohne was the namesake of a certain website operator.  Was Hohne's death in any way inspired by the shutting down of a certain nameless website, or was it just an amusing coincidence?  No, really. ;) (Actually, I can't remember the exact timeframe . . . To my hazy memory, Ouroborus was probably already produced and maybe even aired by the time of the shutdown).

3.) This one may be more of a Paul question (if he's still browsing this thread) but it was mentioned there was a specific way in which the Vedrans cut themselves off from the Slipstream, and it was thought out in a more hard-science way (beyond simply gleaning the idea from a fragment of the engine of creation).

3b.) Along those same lines (still maybe a Paul question).  What was the engine, exactly?  How is it supposed to look/work *and* survive a "big crunch" to trigger another big bang?

4.) For the Ignatius-as-Abyss-Agent angle, would he have been "controlled" in some way, or simply gone along willingly with the Abyss's agenda?

5.) Obviously Trance is a very very good Slipstream pilot since she already knows which path to take and where (and when) they'll all lead . . . so why'd she jump to the MWS in the S1 finale?  It slowed the Abyss's progress a bit, was she merely buying time, or did she have another goal in mind?

6.) You or one of the other writers said that the Long March was somehow part of the MWS and there was a story to go along with it.  Remember any of the details?  Or am I delusional about that bit?

7.) Would Trance's people all have looked identical (purple, pointy ears, barbed tail) or would their appearances have varied drastically? (considering how independant and ADD they are it would make sense).

:cool:

-Nick

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Demigods

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users