Demigods

• Please log in to reply
1171 replies to this topic

#81 karra

karra
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:25 PM

What prides alligned themselves with Tyr?

#82 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:26 PM

Caretaker, on May 26 2005, 12:11 PM, said:

Another question or two: Coda - Where does it go in relation to the episodes?
Coda takes place during Ouroboros.

Also, why is the Abyss so impatient? What is the desperate need to prematurely end the cycle?

Maybe after a couple dozen cycles of expansion and contraction, he just got pissed off about the whole thing.

And finally, for now, how much of the story as you had mapped out did you tell to the rest of the cast and crew? Did they have any idea what you had planned?

The writing staff knew some of the basic stuff and Laura knew some of where Trance was headed, but I pretty much kept everyone else in the dark.

"There are monsters, there are angels...
There's a peacefulness and a rage inside us all."
----------------------------------
Voice of the Beehive

#83 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:28 PM

Slipfighter, on May 26 2005, 12:13 PM, said:

Q: After reading "Coda", I get the impression that Trance was saying that the universe never really ends, that things may disappear for a while as the universe collapses in on itself, but in that chaos comes life, and everything that was will be again.   Basically, the same game pieces (if you will) playing the game all over again, but not quite the same as the time before, and that one different from the time before that... so on and so forth.  Is she basically saying that an end is simply the means to a new beginning; hence, our characters are never truly gone, but out there in some way, shape or form playing their part to bring balance to the universe? 

Our characters weren't there the last time around and won't be there next time.  They're too "insignificant" to recurr in every reincarnation of the universe.  Only the Abyss and the Lucifers remain the same every time.  And even they may be slightly different from expansion to expansion.

So for instance, this time around the Abyss was a lot more pissed off than last time.

Voice of the Beehive

#84 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:29 PM

I remember way back in the day when either Ash or Zack said that "Una Salus Victus" is about "Love and Blowing Things Up."

I certainly saw the blowing things up part but I didn't understand the love until now. Clever. ;)
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#85 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:31 PM

Anastashia, on May 26 2005, 02:16 PM, said:

[My questions, so you're saying that KHC's original contract was only for three years?

That's correct.  I wasn't happy about it, but that was the deal that was struck from day one.

Would your Tyr have masqueraded as The Progenitor Reborn or would he have made clear from the beginning he was working on behalf of his son.

Unsure.  I'd been going back and forth on that one.  I think he would've masqueraded at first, but eventually the truth would've come out.  Probably Dylan would've uncovered it and forced Tyr's hand here.

As for the entire vision I somehow find it harder to get my mind around the Abyss as love than I do Trance as Lucifer and I honestly don't like either characterization.

That's okay.  Your Andromeda may vary.   :cool:

Voice of the Beehive

#86 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:36 PM

Lambsilencer, on May 26 2005, 03:02 PM, said:

- Would you consider a Black Hole to be the tool for love to pull the universe back into singularity piece by piece?

Yes.  We also sometimes call love "gravity."

- When we saw an alternate version of Beka in Ouroboros, it was obvioulsy a Beka closer to the one that would in the end become the Abyss. But why was there an alternate Trance?  SNIPPAGE I have the distinct feeling that Trance would have never acutally changed at all, but you were forced to find a way to make her look different, because TPTB wanted her to be more "adult". Am I right?

Yes, you are correct.

- If Trance was not the only one who could have created such a Perfect Possible Future, how is it that she could have played out the one she wanted to happen? If her brothers and sisters wanted a different one, why did they let Trance proceed, since they all could play out scenarios of possible futures as well? Wouldn't it have ended in a total mess where diefferent futures would have been played out and one interfered with the other (Am I still making sense here?) :D

Trance was selected as the point person on this entire endeavor.  That's not to say there weren't other Lucifers with other ideas running around trying to make things go the way they wanted.  cf Flux in IHNAT.  Lucifers, being inherently chaotic, don't cooperate well.

Voice of the Beehive

#87 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:38 PM

ElGato, on May 26 2005, 03:22 PM, said:

While it's great to finally be able to read, straight from the author, the vision for 5 years of Andromeda, I'm not sure I particularly like the way it would have gone. This "epic" vision is far too dark for an episodic TV series. Especially one that the producers were trying to syndicate worldwide.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No worries.  But please understand that CODA shorthanded a lot of things and, by emphasizing the big events, didn't necessarily reflect the tone of the entire series.  Tone-wise, we would've still delivered what you got in the last half of season one and the beginning of season two.

Voice of the Beehive

#88 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:38 PM

Themis, on May 26 2005, 08:12 PM, said:

Josh:  I'm honestly really surprised that people are objecting to the "darkness" of how Andromeda could have gone. It's really no darker than shows like Moore's BSG or to a lesser extent, the later parts of DS9.

Probably so.  And I didn't like DS9 or B5, which many of you also refer to.

As soon as I read Coda, I had a feeling that the people who loved B5 would love Coda; those who didn't love B5 and later parts of DS9 wouldn't so much.  It's all a matter of taste, certainly not a judgment of quality.  This would have been brilliant.  But I don't think it would've been my taste in episodic tv.

However, this thread is a wonderful read with the same fascinating concepts that were part of discussions of the early series which definitely engage the brain.  I can tell I'll have to print out the whole thread.  (Preferably at work with their ink and paper!!!)

Themis

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting theory Themis, but I really liked both B5 and the last parts of DS9 and I'm not overly thrilled with Coda. It's not necessarily seeing it as dark, I just don't like the direction things took.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#89 ElGato

ElGato
  • Islander
  • 635 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:42 PM

Robert Hewitt Wolfe, on May 27 2005, 12:38 AM, said:

ElGato, on May 26 2005, 03:22 PM, said:

While it's great to finally be able to read, straight from the author, the vision for 5 years of Andromeda, I'm not sure I particularly like the way it would have gone. This "epic" vision is far too dark for an episodic TV series. Especially one that the producers were trying to syndicate worldwide.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No worries.  But please understand that CODA shorthanded a lot of things and, by emphasizing the big events, didn't necessarily reflect the tone of the entire series.  Tone-wise, we would've still delivered what you got in the last half of season one and the beginning of season two.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK by me. And you are correct, we really can't tell what the overall "tone" of seasons 3-5 would have been, just from "CODA". It's just that it "sounds" dark, but I'm sure it would have had it's "light" moments as well. Thanks for sharing it!   :ninja:

#90 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:42 PM

sierraleone, on May 26 2005, 03:51 PM, said:

Never answered the question, does Harper get laid?
Yep.  He mates with an entire species.   :cool:

Once you said (or someone did) that there was a reason Trance was purple. Maybe it was answered someone, sometimes, but no where I ever saw it :D
Why was she purple?

Violet is the highest frequency color on the visible spectrum.  Trance is either burning really hot or coming toward you really fast.  Or both.

You've answer why her last name was Gemini (the constalation... was the other Gemini star avatar ever going to show up?). What about her first name? Where did she pick up Trance?

Trance Gemini is a Sun in Gemini Dreaming It's a Person.  What a dead giveaway.

Also: you answered what was going to happen with everyone else, more or less, except for Trance. Of course shes going to be moving everything along in the direction she wants ;) But anything else?

What?  That's not enough?   :devil:

Voice of the Beehive

#91 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:44 PM

While it was not the ending I envisioned. I enjoyed the work. It seemed to fit into heart of the series.

So while I am sure a question is in my mind I cannot give it voice. So I will end the post with simply this.

Robert thank you for giving us a veiw of how things might have been. Thank you for being part of our community and I hope we can count on you hanging around with us for a long time to come.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#92 maryavatar

maryavatar

Peachy

• Islander
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:44 PM

OMG, I love it.  It all makes sense.  It's wiping away all the WTF?

Thank you :)

Oh, Harper, we all campaigned so hard for you to get laid.  I made badges.  The perfect possible future not only doesn't involve getting laid, it doesn't even involve... uh... man parts.  Still, gigantic collection of tech... also very cool.
"When God made the arse, he didn't say, 'Hey, it's just your basic hinge, let's knock off early.' He said, 'Behold ye angels, I have created the arse. Throughout the ages to come, men and women shall grab hold of these, and shout my name.'"

#93 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:56 PM

Thanks Robert, some of it came out as I thought it might and some of it was on the show in a different form, but it's nice to have read the Coda, thanks again.  :cool:

And a special thanks should go to Rov and Jaimie.  :tyr:

Edited by DWF, 26 May 2005 - 09:12 PM.

The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#94 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,224 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:06 PM

*messy double post*

Edited by sierraleone, 26 May 2005 - 08:32 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#95 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,224 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:07 PM

Christopher, on May 26 2005, 07:46 PM, said:

sierraleone, on May 26 2005, 06:51 PM, said:

Laid asunder is more like it.... ;)

You've answer why her last name was Gemini (the constalation... was the other Gemini star avatar ever going to show up?).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Uhh, there are more than two stars in Gemini.

http://www.science-p...lar/gemini.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, rephrase: Before he got laid asunder, did he get laid? :hehe:

Sorry about that... I was thinking of a binary system... a two star constellation would be pretty boring, its called a line ;) there has got to be a binary system somewhere in gemini right   :whistle:

- Masha Gessen

#96 QuiGon John

QuiGon John

Gone

• Islander
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:18 PM

Wow.  Thanks so much for writing and sharing this, Mr. Wolfe. :)

It's interesting to envision how all these Big Events would have played out on the screen; I admit it's hard for me to picture this, especially as you blindsided me with some of the plot twists.  (Yeah, I admit it, I'm slow. ;))  But I can tell you one thing: If this had been the Andromeda that was filmed, I probably would have, you know, watched the last couple of seasons.  Which didn't happen in, um, this version of reality.

Thanks again, sir. :D

#97 The Tyrant

The Tyrant

R.I.P. Martin Landau

• Islander
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:19 PM

Just wanted to say thanks as well....nice to finally know how it was supposed to work out. Depressingly, as it made so much sense, I haven't any real questions about it right now....

...however...

I do have some general questions regarding the show.....mainly as I'm starting up a new RPG with my friends and plan on setting it in the 'Dromverse (probably set during the Long Night so as not to overlap it with Dylan & Co. ). I've read the show bible and that (along with ASU) gives a good starting point, but lacks much detail (obviously).

That being said, I wanted to know regarding the Magog: there were references to a 'quarantine zone' or somesuch, suggesting they had a defined territory, yet it was also inferred that they were almost nomadic....attacking, devastating, and leaving (like locusts). So, were there specific areas you could point to on a map and say 'Here there be Magog', or was nowhere really 'safe'?

How long does it usually take for Magog larvae to gestate? IOW, how long does a poor sap have to live once infected, not counting preventative measures like Harper's medicine?

(Not saying my players are going to encounter Magog right away, just like being prepared... :devil: )

#98 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,224 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:38 PM

Robert Hewitt Wolfe, on May 26 2005, 08:42 PM, said:

sierraleone, on May 26 2005, 03:51 PM, said:

Yep.  He mates with an entire species.   :cool:

Once you said (or someone did) that there was a reason Trance was purple. Maybe it was answered someone, sometimes, but no where I ever saw it :D
Why was she purple?

Violet is the highest frequency color on the visible spectrum.  Trance is either burning really hot or coming toward you really fast.  Or both.

You've answer why her last name was Gemini (the constalation... was the other Gemini star avatar ever going to show up?). What about her first name? Where did she pick up Trance?

Trance Gemini is a Sun in Gemini Dreaming It's a Person.  What a dead giveaway.

Also: you answered what was going to happen with everyone else, more or less, except for Trance. Of course shes going to be moving everything along in the direction she wants ;) But anything else?

What?  That's not enough?   :devil:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I said to Christopher:
*Before* that, did he get laid? :hehe:

Thanks for the colour explanation :)

I'm too tired for much actual thinking today! :blink: Just because we've grouped some stars in a constellation doesn't mean they're close together..... I was for some reason thinking of a binary system when I asked about a Gemini sibling, (because of the word Gemini? I donna) instead of the constellation :)

- Masha Gessen

#99 karra

karra
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:39 PM

I'm too tired for much actual thinking today!  Just because we've grouped some stars in a constellation doesn't mean they're close together..... I was for some reason thinking of a binary system when I asked about a Gemini sibling, (because of the word Gemini? I donna) instead of the constellation 

Maybe that's the purple boy that CSM mentioned when  he kidnapped Trance?

#100 nwcs

nwcs
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 09:06 PM

I haven't read the replies yet so hopefully there isn't much duplication...

So what Rev Bem said when he looked into the Abyss was actually reality according to the show concept and not him being deceived? Since he is a wayist looking for harmony and all, wouldn't he embrace the Abyss?  So the Magog were mindless only to be agents to destroy matter so it'll collapse?

So what exactly did the show title "Pitiless as the Sun" mean? It did reveal a lot now that I have a framework to understand it.

How does the worldship factor in exactly? Where did the Vedrans actually go? In the show they were said to know about Dylan's mission and supported it. Would they have lent aid in other ways?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Demigods

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users