Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Does McCain have a chance to be Rep. nominee?

Election 2008 McCain Republican Nominee

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#61 Han

Han

When all else fails, use fire.

• Islander
  • 483 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 07:10 PM

Delvo, on Jun 8 2005, 12:07 AM, said:

Hankuang, on Jun 7 2005, 07:05 PM, said:

^ Just curious, but how do we know the pilots aren't well trained? Is it from exercises they hold with foreign militaries that showcase their skills or is it from analysts, etc.?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you thinking of the old saying "Never let your opponent see all your abilities"? (Sun-Tzu, "The Art of Warfare") ;) :D :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Didn't initially occured to me, but it has now. ;) I'm wondering if there's a tournament that all the air force pilots around the world get together and dogfight for a trophy.
Han

#62 Nonprofit

Nonprofit
  • Islander
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 09:07 PM

tennyson Posted May 31 2005, on 04:11 PM, said:

Kosh Posted May 31 2005, on 03:17 PM, said:

I think McCain may be all the republicans have left by 08. Frist will shoot himself in the foot before it's over, Jeb Bush, who is supposed to be more articulate and better in debates then his father or brother, says he wont run. A lot could change between now and then, but McCains the only republican that I would vote for at this stage.
He's about all I can think of right now as well, but then I don't know much about the other potential candidates.

Perhaps Rudy Giuliani will throw his hat into the ring.  He might make an interesting choice.

RuReddy

#63 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 09:41 PM

^ I still say Pataki has a good chance.  

Hankuang, on Jun 7 2005, 07:05 PM, said:

^ Just curious, but how do we know the pilots aren't well trained? Is it from exercises they hold with foreign militaries that showcase their skills or is it from analysts, etc.?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The example I always remember is the EP-3 Orion incident where by the admission of the PLAAF an EP-3 Orion managed to ram a PLAAF fighter.  On a more serious note, a Chinese pilot of a frontline fighter flying an intercept managed to crash into a slow flying trash hauler.  This is about equivalent to a school bus catching a Ferrari on the salt flats in Utah.  That doesn’t say much about the quality of your average pilot in the PLAAF. Midair collisions are bound to happen when aircraft are close together and it happens with US pilots but crashing into an EP-3 on a routine intercept takes special skills.  

In a more general sense it comes from analysts and other tools. A big one would be looking at accidents and incidents like the EP-3 example above.  For actual foreign air shows and exercises it wouldn’t surprise if the PLAAF has some excellent pilots who are up there with the standards of some western Air Forces.  It is the rank and file of the PLAAF who would have to fight a war though.

Delvo: Where would a battle between Chinese and American aircraft take place?
It would be over the strait, over China, and over Taiwan.  

Delvo: Without usability from an aircraft carrier, we wouldn't be able to fly 22s over China no matter how many 22s we had unless they used someone else's base in the area or an airstrip was built on conquered Chinese land, both of which seem unlikely.
US Aircraft would be primarily based out of Okinawa and Andersen on Guam.  Okinawa is within easy operating range of the F/A-22.  Andersen is going to mean a sore butt for the pilot time he flys there and back but with tanker support and supercruise the Raptor can do it.  Really the Raptor is better suited for operating over long distances like this than the Eagle or the Viper.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election, 2008, McCain, Republican Nominee

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users