• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 11:22 PM

This pretty much nails my opinions, and it's a good read, and should spark an interesting debate:

Washington Times EDITORIAL - CNN knew

April 14, 2003

Mr. Eason Jordan, chief news executive at CNN, published in the New York Times a truly rare article last Friday: an op-ed capable of genuinely shocking even world-weary cynics in a jaded world. He announced that, over the last dozen years: "I made 13 trips to Baghdad to lobby the government to keep CNN's Baghdad bureau open and to arrange interviews with Iraqi leaders. Each time I visited, I became more distressed by what I saw and heard — awful things that could not be reported because doing so would have jeopardized the lives of Iraqis, particularly those on our Baghdad staff."

He went on to catalogue in horrid detail the abuses of Saddam's torture and murder machine. He wrote that Saddam's eldest son Uday "told me in 1995 that he intended to assassinate his two brothers-in-law who had defected and also ... King Hussein of Jordan." The CNN news executive tipped off the king, but not the brothers-in-law, who were subsequently murdered.

In one of his most revealing statements, Mr. Jordan wrote that: "I came to know several Iraqi officials well enough that they confided in me that Saddam Hussein was a maniac who had to be removed." He concluded by writing that "I felt awful having these stories bottled up inside me ... At last, these stories can be told freely."

Where to begin? First, as the chief news executive of the only truly worldwide television news network, Mr. Jordan was literally the one man in the entire world in a position to "unbottle" those awful truths. Moreover, those awful truths were not only newsworthy, but would have been history-making — had they been reported. One can only imagine the impact on the U.N. debate of last winter if CNN had headlined that several Iraqi officials had told CNN that "Saddam Hussein was a maniac who had to be removed."Instead, the world got CNN reports balanced carefully — we know now, thanks to Mr. Jordan — between the truth and the requirements of Saddam's propaganda office.

So deeply had Mr. Jordan morally compromised himself and CNN that Uday the psychopath felt comfortable confiding his highest-visibility murder plans to Mr. Jordan. His secrets were safe with CNN. What a scoop they missed: "Son of Saddam Hussein plans to murder King of Jordan." Indeed, the entire Arab world might have turned on Saddam years ago if that story had been reported. But, of course, if CNN had reported that story, it would not have been able to keep open its Baghdad bureau — and thus would have lost the profitable competitive advantage it maintained over rival news outlets.

For the last twelve years, CNN has provided the West with the dominant news image of Saddam's Iraq. It was the jewel in the crown of CNN's international reportingreputation. But, now we know, from the unwitting pen of CNN's morally obtuse chief news executive, that it was always a false image CNN was broadcasting. The hard news was kept secret. The propaganda flowed like wine. CNN was running a straight propaganda-for-profits deal with Saddam. Until CNN brings in honest news executives, no prudent viewer should trust CNN'scurrent and future reporting from other foreign capitals.

St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 11:30 PM

So deeply had Mr. Jordan morally compromised himself and CNN

CNN's morally obtuse chief news executive

APPLAUSE!!!!!!!! CHEERING and more APPLAUSE!!!!!!!!!

Over in my thread on the op-ed piece I said this:
While I do understand the desire to protect your own reporters, etc., there comes a point in life where you must decide for yourself where your morals and ethics lie, and when you must take a stand. Sometimes you have to - no, NEED to and MUST speak up, no matter the cost, in order to do what is morally right.

I find this man's action deplorable.

Hurray for the Washington Times for agreeing with me.  ;)  :lol:

Rov - do you have the link to this article? I'd like to post it on another board.

#3 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 11:34 PM

GREAT editorial and one with which I completely agree.

Lil
Posted Image

#4 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 11:38 PM

Kimmer-- But of course! http://www.washingto...14-21266686.htm :D

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#5 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 11:39 PM

Thanks ... I'm stumbling all this site and couldn't find this. DUHO!

#6 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 11:39 PM

[singsong]Lil and I agree about something war-related! Lil and I agree about something war-related![/singsong]

;)

APOTS Kimmer

#7 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 11:47 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Apr 14 2003, 09:28 PM, said:

[singsong]Lil and I agree about something war-related! Lil and I agree about something war-related![/singsong]

;)

APOTS Kimmer
Now now Rovvie, we agreed about the Pope's stance on all this and about the double standard involved in the coverage.

:p
Posted Image

#8 jon3831

jon3831

Iolanthe's evil conservative twin

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 11:50 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Apr 14 2003, 12:28 PM, said:

Me too...

*dies of shock*

;) ;) ;)
"The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to   preserve our freedom."
                    --General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#9 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 12:04 AM

VERY good editorial.
"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#10 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 12:24 AM

Yeah, lovely.

The problem is, had the news been reported once, maybe that 'scoop' the Post author argues about may never have been gotten.

And for all we know, Mr. Jordan *did* report it --to the CIA.

There are channels within channels that we don't know about here. I would not be so quick to villify Mr. Jordan, even if I can see the point the Post op-ed is making. Just because it wasn't reported to us doesn't mean it wasn't reported to someone.

I have to agree that Mr. Jordan does seem to be privateering the news a bit here. But I have to ask if the alternative was really worth it. Either way, this sucks.

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#11 Neptunian

Neptunian
  • Islander
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 01:17 AM

^^ I totally agree.

#12 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 01:25 AM

jon3831, on Apr 14 2003, 08:39 PM, said:

Me too...

*dies of shock*

;) ;) ;)
Three here....

The world is coming to an end.....  :o
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#13 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 01:28 AM

CJ AEGIS, on Apr 14 2003, 11:14 PM, said:

Me too...

*dies of shock*

;) ;) ;)
Three here....

Okay now wait.

kimmer, Rov, Jon AND Aegis and I agree on this???????????

Merciful angels!!!!!!

:eek2:

Posted Image

#14 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 01:50 AM

Ah the joy of a scumdwelling muck raker getting dragged out into the light of day. Did this guy bargin lives away to keep his news office open. I mean the other office of propaganda.

Well Nice to see that others on both sides of the Liberal/Conservative debate seeing this guy as the scum that he and his network appear to be.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#15 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 02:22 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on Apr 14 2003, 03:17 PM, said:

CJ AEGIS, on Apr 14 2003, 11:14 PM, said:

Me too...

*dies of shock*

;) ;) ;)
Three here....

Okay now wait.

kimmer, Rov, Jon AND Aegis and I agree on this???????????

Merciful angels!!!!!!

:eek2:

TZ music plays in the background

Welcome to the Ex Isle Twilight Zone, where the impossible can and does occur; and where minds can be bent at will. Is it safe to continue visiting here? Only you can decide.

TZ music fades

- - - On a related point:

Una Salus Lillius, on Apr 14 2003, 01:36 PM, said:

Now now Rovvie.....

:p
Yes, she's very "now, now".  :lol:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Journalism, CNN, Cover-up

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users