9 replies to this topic

#1 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 09:17 AM

http://archives.mone...erify-8624.html

A new report released today shows that the number of women living with HIV has risen in each region of the world over the past two years, with the steepest increases in East Asia, followed by Eastern Europe and Central Asia. In East Asia, there was a 56% increase over the past two years, followed by Eastern Europe and Central Asia with 48%.

Women are increasingly affected, now making up nearly half of the 37.2 million adults (aged 15-49) living with HIV worldwide. In sub-Saharan Africa, the worst-affected region, close to 60% of adults living with HIV are women - or 13.3 million. These latest findings were published in AIDS Epidemic Update 2004, the annual report by the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) and the World Health Organization (WHO).

http://news.xinhuane...ent_3043969.htm

Approximately 40 million people are living with HIV in the world today.

With the population being about 6.5 billion... that means ~ 0.615 % of the world population is affected... or just over 1 in 200 (~ 1.23) or about 6 in 1000... in the world, in some places rates are much higher than that.

Some of the worst predictions have come to pass. Nearly half of those infected with HIV are women and girls, whether married or single, promiscuous or faithful.

"The trend is that more young women are being infected than young men," Thoraya Obeid, the head of the UN Population Fund. "If they are married, they can't abstain. They are faithful but the husband is not faithful."

Women, she said, need information, including how to use a female condom to protect themselves, often a sensitive issue, particularly among conservative United States religious groups who favour abstinence-only programmes and oppose programmes for prostitutes, homosexuals and drug addicts.

:( When are we going to smarten up? The less people we try to help with treatment, prevention and education, the bigger this problems is going to get.

Edited by sierraleone, 04 June 2005 - 09:43 AM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 10:16 AM

Sadly, the trend is going to continue.  It's simply much easier for the receptive partner to get infected.

Education is the key to battling AIDS.  Opposition to well rounded sex-ed and inaccessibility in Africa is just compounding the issue.  Ignoring it will only make it worse, not make it go away.

:(

#3 Enkanowen

Enkanowen
  • Islander
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 11:47 AM

I am so glad someone brought that up. For the past two days I have been thinking about this topic and realized how much we have shoved it out of our minds. ABout two years ago, I read that it was predicted if the rate continues to grow as it does, in about fifty years the African people will be close to extinction. I'm not sure where, I think it might have been for class. This may seem a bit exaggerated but since the article quotes that the infection rate has doubled in the past two years...

Right now I look at the news and I see:
Terrorists Living in Iran
US Admits Quaran was Stepped on
China's Military Build-up a Threat?
Couple, Sons Found Slain at Home
Killer Convicted, Then Walks Free
Restaurants Serves Food in Toilets

on to the next newspage:
Pentagon confirms Quran splashed with urine
Abbas postpones Palestinian elections
Security tightened on Tiananmen anniversary
Bush urges Congress on several issues
FBI searches for missing teen in Aruba
Sweden opens museum dedicated to herring
Henin-Hardenne wins French Open title

and even trusted BBC news:
Hundreds mourn Beirut journalist
Hong Kong marks Tiananmen deaths
Changing planet revealed in atlas
Chirac and Schroeder discuss EU
Abbas postpones Palestinian vote
Guantanamo guard kicked Koran
Ex-rebel recalls 'Pakistan trips'
Jackson jury considering verdict
'Witch' case sparks UK abuse fear

I actually went into the continent specific news on BBC and finally:

UN calls for action to halt Aids
Guilty verdict in SA graft case
Nigeria's 'gift' ruling blasted

From there I found a BBC site dealing specifically with AIDS, but still...

We have buried AIDS. It is so horrible that we would rather forget about it than deal with it now while we still can. Predictions are saying that in Africa alone could see as many as 90 million more infected or see about 10% of its population infected in the next twenty years. That is insanely high. AIDS predictions

AIDS map

The AIDS Debate

#4 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 10:57 PM

How do we get countries (and it will need to be mostly first world at that) to put more money into this? How much are countries putting into it right now?

- Masha Gessen

#5 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 11:10 PM

Well, I don't think putting more money into it is quite the solution, although I think its part of it.  Rather there needs to be really creative grassroots outreach.  And this is where we fail.

Last week, here on Ex Isle, I attempted to do a grassroots refutation of some of the stuff passing itself off as science in the name of God - the task was to refute the science in a way that people who believe in creationism could accept - that is, gently, and with a willingness to create a bridge - to really apply ourselves to the task of feeling ourselves inthe shows of a believer in creationism, confronting the scientific issues inherent in such a belief. We did only so so.  We had a hard time not asserting our "rightness" and the "wrongness" of others.

Now imagine if that's what it would take to convince people that its ok to change their behavior to protect themselves from AIDS.  Would we be able to do it, or would we push people further into their belief systems - with a resultant backlash of MORE unprotected and unsafe sexual practices?  What are you supposed to say to people who believe that widows have to be "cleansed" by having the town "cleanser" have sex with them?  When we go in to fix this behavior, do we go in arrogantly? If we do, there are some who are going to recoil and cling to the practice even more.

I'm excited about the breakthrough invention of a gel that provides barrier protection from the AIDS virus, without being noticeable to men... it gives women a chance where they may have a hard time saying no to sex.  I'm hopeful that there won't be any reverse movement to ban such treatment since it might also be contraceptive.  But even if there is... the only way to combat that kind of thing is on the ground - understanding people's beliefs, hopes and fears, and being willing to help them see choices and alternatives within their own framework.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#6 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 11:15 PM

^ I still think money would be needed... but yes throwing money at the problem doesn't help if we push them further away... but we need money to best study options, try different options in different places and see what works best.

I think one possible method is we need to approach the leaders of some of these communities (speaking of the tribal ones) educate them to see if they are receptive, and try to engender change that way.

- Masha Gessen

#7 Enkanowen

Enkanowen
  • Islander
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 12:15 PM

sierraleone, on Jun 5 2005, 12:15 AM, said:

^ I still think money would be needed... but yes throwing money at the problem doesn't help if we push them further away... but we need money to best study options, try different options in different places and see what works best.

I think one possible method is we need to approach the leaders of some of these communities (speaking of the tribal ones) educate them to see if they are receptive, and try to engender change that way.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am not so sure what you are trying to say mentioning tribal communities. Are you talking about African tribes? It's already in the process:

AIDS threatens Namibian Tribe Tradition

However, while I do believe that educating these tribes will help prevent them from getting AIDS, they are not the main concern. The Himba, for example, are very sexually liberated people, so they are going to be very open to an education about sex (they may or may not be convinced of this). But what about those people who do not believe in talking about sex, sex education or AIDS/HIV. While we can definately not forget the tribal communities, more needs to be done to help people whose culture is very strict when it comes to sex.

China Delivers Change

SHANGHAI, China - In an aggressive new anti-
AIDS push, China's Health Ministry is urging the promotion of free condoms and needle exchanges strategies previously considered taboo by the conservative communist government.

#8 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 03:48 PM

sierraleone, on Jun 5 2005, 04:15 AM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Trouble is, the leaders of some nations have been in such denial about it for years.  Zimbabwe has been overrun by AIDS--about a quarter of the population is HIV positive--yet Mugabe, the nation's head honcho, seems to be ignoring it.
Of all the varieties of virtues, liberalism is the most beloved.
--Aristotle

The fanatic is not really a stickler to principle. He embraces a cause not primarily because of its justness or holiness but because of his desperate need for something to hold onto.
--Eric Hoffer

#9 Enkanowen

Enkanowen
  • Islander
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 09:09 PM

Call Me Robin, on Jun 7 2005, 04:48 PM, said:

Trouble is, the leaders of some nations have been in such denial about it for years.  Zimbabwe has been overrun by AIDS--about a quarter of the population is HIV positive--yet Mugabe, the nation's head honcho, seems to be ignoring it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that is a very good point. Since it isn't an immediate disease, but rather takes a decade or more to kill a person, it isn't a priority. To be honest, I don't think it is a priority with many governments, because it doesn't affect them directly... yet...

#10 Enkanowen

Enkanowen
  • Islander
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:51 PM

anti AIDS gel

This is one of the possible solutions. If the men cannot be convinced that AIDS/HIV are a problem then secret little things women can do to protect themselves really will have to be an available option.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health, AIDS, 2005, UN

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users