http://www.historychannel.com/tdih/

April 14th:

1986 U.S. BOMBS LIBYA

1865 President Lincoln shot by John Wilkes Booth

1912 RMS Titanic hits iceberg

1918 U.S. fliers in first dogfight over western front

1988 Soviets to withdraw from Afghanistan

Birthdays:

1904 - Sir John Gielgud (Emmy Award-winning actor: Summer's Lease [1990-91], Becket, Arthur, Chariots of Fire, The Elephant Man, Ghandi, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, A Man for All Seasons, Murder on the Orient Express, War & Remembrance)

1923 - Roberto DeVicenzo

1924 - Shorty Rogers (Milton Rajonsky) (musician: trumpet, bandleader, songwriter: Keen and Peachy, Martians Go Home, Sweetheart of Sigmund Freud; composer, arranger: film: That Certain Girl)

1925 - Rod Steiger (Academy Award-winning actor: In the Heat of the Night [1967], On the Waterfront, The Pawnbroker, Dr. Zhivago, The Longest Day, Back Water, In Pursuit of Honor)

1926 - Gloria Jean (Schoonover) (actress: Copacabana, The Ladies Man)

1930 - Bradford Dillman (actor: Compulsion, The Bridge at Remagen, The Way We Were, Court-Martial, King's Crossing, Falcon Crest)

1932 - Anthony Perkins (actor: Psycho, A Demon in My View, Daughter of Darkness, Murder on the Orient Express, Green Mansions)

1933 - Buddy Knox (singer: Party Doll, Rock Your Little Baby to Sleep, Hula Love, Somebody Touched Me)

1935 - Joan Darling (Kugell) (actress: The Two Worlds of Jenny Logan)

1935 - Marty Keough (baseball)

1935 - Loretta Lynn (country singer: Coal Miner's Daughter, I'm a Honky-Tonk Girl, One's on the Way, The Pill; 1st woman to earn the CMA's Entertainer of the Year award; named ACM Artist of the Decade" [1979])

1935 - Bobby Nichols (golfer: PGA Champion [1964])

1941 - Julie Christie (actress: Dr. Zhivago, Petulia, Shampoo, Separate Tables, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Fahrenheit 451)

1941 - Pete Rose (baseball: Cincinnati Reds 2B: Rookie of the Year [1963], OF: Baseball Writer's Award [1973], manager [1986-89}; Philadelphia:1B; Montreal: allegedly gambled on major-league games: banished from baseball)

1942 - Dick Brooks (auto racer)

1968 - Anthony Michael Hall (actor: The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, National Lampoon's Vacation, Edward Scissorhands; comedian: Saturday Night Live)

April 15th:

1912 RMS Titanic sinks

1865 President Lincoln dies

1998 Pol Pot dies

Birthdays:

1452 - Leonardo da Vinci (artist: Mona Lisa, The Last Supper, The Virgin of the Rocks, The Virgin and Child with Saint Anne)

1843 - Henry James (author: The Turn of the Screw, The Wings of the Dove, The Portrait of a Lady, The Ambassadors)

1894 - Bessie Smith (blues singer: sang with Louis Armstrong in 1925: early version of St. Louis Blues, My Man's Blues, Dixie Flyer Blues, I Ain't Got Nobody, A Good Man is Hard to Find, Poor Man's Blues)

1917 - Hans Conried (actor: My Friend Irma, Bus Stop, Oh! God: Book 2, Tut & Tuttle, The Monster that Challenged the World)

1920 - Jim Timmens (composer)

1930 - Herb Pomeroy (musician: trumpet: teacher at Berklee in Boston, bandleader; directed radio Malaysia Orchestra )

1933 - Elizabeth Montgomery (actress: Bewitched, Robert Montgomery Presents)

1933 - Roy Clark (musician, CMA Entertainer of the Year [1973]; country singer: Yesterday, When I Was Young, Come and Live with Me, Somewhere Between Love and Tomorrow, Thank God and Greyhound [You're Gone]; TV: Hee Haw)

1933 - Mel Kenyon (auto racer)

1937 - Bob Luman (singer: Let's Think About Living, Every Day I Have to Cry Some, The Pay Phone, Proud of You Baby)

1939 - Claudie Cardinale (actress: The Pink Panther, Once Upon a Time in the West, Jesus of Nazareth, Henry the IV, A Man in Love)

1940 - Willie Davis (baseball: LA Dodgers)

1940 - Woody Fryman (baseball: Philadelphia Phillies)

1942 - Walt Hazzard (basketball: 1964 Olympic Gold Medalist: U.S. team; LA Lakers, Seattle Supersonics, Atlanta Hawks, Buffalo Braves, Golden State Warriors; UCLA coach)

1942 - Julie Sommars (actress: Sex and the Single Parent, Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo)

1945 - Ted Sizemore (baseball: St. Louis Cardinals; National League Rookie of the Year: LA Dodgers 2B [1969])

1948 - Victor Regaldo (golfer)

1950 - Dick Sharon (baseball)

1951 - Heloise Cruse Evans (newspaper columnist, writer: Hints from Heloise)

1957 - Evelyn Ashford (track athlete: 4 time Olympic gold medalist, a shared record for most gold medals won by a woman: 100 meters [1984], 4 x 100m relay [1984, 1988, 1992])

Edited by Certifiably Cait, 27 August 2012 - 02:16 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: History-World

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users