• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#21 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 06:03 PM

There is something else to be said about putting a person such as Rush Limbaugh in the military.  I can certainly understand why a person needs to be in good physical shape because of the physical demands of fighting.   However, there are some traits a soldier probably should possess to not be a hazard.  Someone like Rush who is older and set in his ways is probably incapable of effectively taking orders from another person and acting for the good of the unit.  I've not been in combat, but I think that if I were I would want someone I could trust to be fighting on the same side as me instead of always fighting about every other thing - the superiors are wrong, the administration is wrong, etc - that is not pertinent to saving my life in the midst of the struggle.  In other words, I'd be getting slaughtered while Rush stood around groaning and moaning the superior officer wouldn't listen to his brilliant point of view.

#22 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 06:07 PM

Judging from some of his "reasoning," Rush Limbaugh would probably still be considered 4-F, on psych.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#23 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 06:20 PM

tennyson, on Jun 5 2005, 10:58 PM, said:

Thier's plenty of air power being used for the close support mission in Iraq right now. That and logistic support are the primary missions of the air force in Iraq right now. A-10s and F-16s have well as the other services helicopters have been very busy in support of ground troops.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Could that in any way be determined to be ground combat?  I ask because I'm not sure what is meant by "close support".

#24 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 07:04 PM

GiGi, on Jun 5 2005, 10:48 PM, said:

I see that you posted more info... looks like women still are not drafted but for different stated reasons.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I did not know women were required to register like men are 18. That will slow down any sort of draft was to be started.  I can see women in the support roles such as military police. For combat I think if we just set tough standards for anyone reguardless of sex and said anyone who cannot met these standards cannot be straight infantry.

I think like the Marines all troops reguardless of training should have standard rifleman training.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#25 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 07:07 PM

BTW I think the title and thread was intended pick a fight and to backhand slam Ogami.

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#26 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 07:24 PM

G1223 wrote:

BTW I think the title and thread was intended pick a fight and to backhand slam Ogami.

Quite right, G1223. It's also quite a compliment to see such brain-teasing effort expended on my behalf. Certain posters may think of board guidelines as "gotcha" tools where they run to the moderators and say they've been offended every three seconds, when no such thing happened. Then the same people come up with clever threads and say "Aha! I can attack fellow board members by saying "Rush Limbaugh Exclaimation Mark", and me and my friends will congratulate ourselves on our clever euphemism.

In this case, everyone knows Rush Limbaugh is 50, way above the age limit, and he's not on this board. Board guidelines are not here to stifle debate, and shut up minority views, but I'll be damned if I know what else they're used for, in practice.

What's sad is that if similar energy and effort as used on this clever thread title were used in real life, people would probably find the cure for cancer or something. :)

-Ogami

#27 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 07:29 PM

You know, G, it's bad enough that Ogami thinks Rush channels him.  Please don't encourage him to think he is Rush.
Posted Image

#28 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 07:39 PM

All I know for sure is if the military strategists put me in charge of the war during my perimenopausal/PMSing days, the insurgency problem would be taken care of.  Of course, humans as a species would be extinct as a result of the gaping hole where the middle east once was knocking the planet off its axis.

#29 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 07:43 PM

Edited to make the left happy.

Edited by G1223, 05 June 2005 - 11:25 PM.

TANSTAAFL

#30 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 07:55 PM

Close supports refer to dropping bombs and other ordance on enemy positons while they are in combat with your side's troops. It isn't ground combat but it is a combat function.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#31 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 08:06 PM

Zwolf666, on Jun 5 2005, 11:07 PM, said:

Judging from some of his "reasoning," Rush Limbaugh would probably still be considered 4-F, on psych.

Cheers,

Zwolf

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*splurt!*

Bad Zwolf, bad!!!  :lol:  :lol:
Of all the varieties of virtues, liberalism is the most beloved.
--Aristotle

The fanatic is not really a stickler to principle. He embraces a cause not primarily because of its justness or holiness but because of his desperate need for something to hold onto.
--Eric Hoffer

#32 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 08:20 PM

Moderatorís Helmet On
Some posters in this thread are getting too personal in their comments about other posters.  Iíd like to take this time to remind everyone to stay on the topic and to stay away from attacking other posters.  That type of behavior violates the guidelines and it will not be tolerated.  Everyone should get off the topic of attacking or commenting on your fellow posters and back to the topic of the thread.  If you donít like what someone says then ignore them or respond with your own counterargument.Moderatorís Helmet Off

Now for my own opinion:

The entire manpower shortage is pretty much artificial and has been artificial right along.  The Army has been suffering from manpower and recruiting problems long before Bush ever came into office.  There is a reason why they started that rather ridiculous ďArmy of OneĒ recruiting campaign.  They were trying to attract people to the service that is generally considered to be the ďdumbestĒ of the branches of the military.  It took the conflict in Iraq to increase the problem and to hurt Marine recruiting efforts to some degree.  The reality is Congress has to swallow the bullet and realize they need to make the benefits and pay given to the military comparable and competitive to the civilian sector.      

Once they do that the manpower shortage is going to disappear rather quickly.  Considering the current economic situation with jobs and the cost of college a comprehensive increase in benefits would likely up recruiting by leaps.    

Eloisel: However, somebody somewhere is probably smart enough to rewrite the conscription laws so that women can be drafted for non-ground combat use.
The logic there will be that every female in a non combat military role would free up another male for a combat role.

Eloisel: Are we not employing air power of any kind in Iraq at this time?
Yes.  Airpower is going to be in use in just about any conflict the US gets into.

Eloisel: Could that in any way be determined to be ground combat? I ask because I'm not sure what is meant by "close support".
Women serve as pilots and air crew on combat aircraft.  At least one of the A-10 pilots attempting to draw antiaircraft fire over Baghdad was a woman.

Edited by CJ AEGIS, 05 June 2005 - 08:21 PM.

"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#33 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 08:57 PM

Edited becasue it is pointless to discuss topics Liberals get off and conservaties get attacked for free.

Edited by G1223, 05 June 2005 - 11:27 PM.

TANSTAAFL

#34 dec55

dec55
  • Islander
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 09:02 PM

Actually where Rush is now is the US Military's best weapon against anti military hippie
type propagandists.......no longer will the Liberal press have a free hand at bashing the troops. What's even better Rush is a voluntary supporter of our troops who most  love him...and listen to him on armed forces radio...:)  IMO

:)

The Walter Cronkites of the world are exposed as liberal frauds most folks will never
trust them again in war reporting.  CNN is a sinking ship thanks to Rush and Fox. :)

Edited by dec55, 05 June 2005 - 09:08 PM.

#35 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 09:20 PM

Edited to avoid not taking the party line and say all conservaties are worth attacking.  Free speech is only free if you are a liberal be a conservative and you get warned when the level of attacks against you gets to be too much.  Yep you get the warning for being attacked yet the attacker get off scot free.

Edited by G1223, 05 June 2005 - 11:32 PM.

TANSTAAFL

#36 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 09:54 PM

G1223, on Jun 5 2005, 09:57 PM, said:

CJ AEGIS, on Jun 6 2005, 01:20 AM, said:

Moderatorís Helmet On
Some posters in this thread are getting too personal in their comments about other posters.  Iíd like to take this time to remind everyone to stay on the topic and to stay away from attacking other posters.  That type of behavior violates the guidelines and it will not be tolerated.  Everyone should get off the topic of attacking or commenting on your fellow posters and back to the topic of the thread.  If you donít like what someone says then ignore them or respond with your own counterargument.Moderatorís Helmet Off

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

CJ This has been happening for TOO DAMN LONG waterpather has been called on by other posters here and in other threads about thread titles and posts that are attacks. This one was aimed at Ogami. So hunker down in the moderator foxhole or start policing the scene. Because I can afford to be banned for another week  for speaking about the actions of others here. espically when I am right about his attacks on other posters and towards a group of people he cannot even begin to fully understand.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Um, how was this post directed at Ogami?  I must be missing something.   :Oo:

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#37 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 10:33 PM

dec55, on Jun 6 2005, 02:02 AM, said:

Actually where Rush is now is the US Military's best weapon against anti military hippie
type propagandists.......no longer will the Liberal press have a free hand at bashing the troops. What's even better Rush is a voluntary supporter of our troops who most† love him...and listen to him on armed forces radio...:)† IMO

:)

The Walter Cronkites of the world are exposed as liberal frauds most folks will never
trust them again in war reporting.† CNN is a sinking ship thanks to Rush and Fox. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Walter Cronkite is one of the most venerated journalists around today, and you're calling him a fraud?   A man who knew how to report the news and you're calling him a fraud?  :eh:  :eh:  :Oo:  :Oo:

And who is this "liberal press" bashing the troops, anyway?  Press coverage of the troops in Iraq has been pretty sympathetic.  This is not Vietnam.  We're not spitting on the troops and calling them baby-killers.

If you think it's nice that the troops get to listen to Rush, you'll be very happy that Al Franken has gone overseas to personally entertain troops!  :)  He's not just giving lip service to supporting the troops--he's doing it!  :)

Are reporters with intelligence and integrity considered liberal these days?  If so, "liberal" is a compliment of the highest order!  I knew there were some good things about being liberal!   :)

Or perhaps the jokes about Limbaugh really hit close to home for some people, huh?   :whistle:

I know conservatives like to pretend that the media is overwhelmingly liberal, but that's just dishonest.  Especially with Faux News, the New York Post, the Washington Times, and the overrepresentation of right-wingers in the media.  

It sounds like the right-wing media and their followers are engaging in a bit of wishful thinking, just as Limbaugh is busted for drugs, Bush's approval ratings drop, the GOP-run Congress is embarassing itself, and the Iraq war drags on.

Perhaps we've reached a saturation point with right-wing media.  After all, screaming right-wingers have been overrepresented for years.  But now, Faux News is losing viewers, it seems.  Dennis Miller's show has been cancelled; Crossfire was yanked because CNN decided that they agreed with Jon Stewart's opinion of the show.  And Stewart?  He's still a ratings hit.  Meanwhile, Air America is up to 64 stations now and growing.  

CNN isn't a sinking ship because of Rush or Faux News.  It's a sinking ship because it's not doing its job.  It's not reporting the news.  It is, like most mainstream media outlets these days, driven by corporate concerns, not journalistic ones.  And it's not exactly a liberal station--in fact, I hear a lot of complaints that it's trying to be Faux Lite..  

One of the best sources for documenting lies in the media, up until a few months ago, was Spinsanity.  And they went after falsehoods on the right and left.  Another source is Media Matters for America, which quotes right-wing pundits verbatim.

A list of topics appears here.  The list Limbaugh's falsehoods is unusually long, though.  Limbaugh has also been called on his errors in books like The Way Things Aren't.

Walter Cronkite said that what passes for behavior on See BS News would not have happened when he was there. Rather did his best to report LIES AS NEWS. So did his STAFF and when confronted with their lies whined that it was true but they did not have the documents to prove it.

We're talking about exactly one story.  What about such bogus journalism as the New York Post headline about Kerry picking Gephardt as his running mate?  Or Faux News running a news item where Kerry claimed that he was a metrosexual and Bush was a cowboy--a story that was later proven false?  

Surely a news channel or paper would show more care than that.

If you're going to fault Rather for mistakes, then do the same for Faux News and the Post.

Um, how was this post directed at Ogami? I must be missing something.

It wasn't.  I think that some people take jokes about Bush, Limbaugh, and other conservatives very personally.

Edited by Call Me Robin, 05 June 2005 - 10:38 PM.

Of all the varieties of virtues, liberalism is the most beloved.
--Aristotle

The fanatic is not really a stickler to principle. He embraces a cause not primarily because of its justness or holiness but because of his desperate need for something to hold onto.
--Eric Hoffer

#38 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 10:52 PM

dec55 said:

no longer will the Liberal press have a free hand at bashing the troops.

Excuse me? I read various examples of this alleged "liberal press", and they do go after Bush rather a lot (as is their right), but not the troops themselves. So where exactly are you getting that -- are you just having fun channeling irresponsible talk radio?

Call Me Robin said:

Walter Cronkite is one of the most venerated journalists around today, and you're calling him a fraud?

Michael Savage of the Savage Nation, in the full glory of his schoolyard bullying style, loves calling Cronkite "Crankenhouse". Weiner just *loves* to make up stupid names and think it's deep, relevant criticism. :hehe: (The guy makes *some* good points -- his kneejerk namecalling isn't among those.)
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#39 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 11:58 PM

Moderatorís Helmet On:
Notice of Guideline Violations
Two posters have been sent PMs for their violation of 1A of the guidelines in this thread.  This action is related to the following clause in the guidelines:

1A. Healthy disagreement is welcome, as long as criticisms are focused on the ideas being expressed rather than on the people expressing them. Responding to other posters with insulting, dismissive or deliberately disruptive comments violates this spirit. Therefore, posters who make such comments may be required to edit them.  A poster who persists in making such comments may be warned, and may face suspension from the forum where the behavior occurs, or further penalties depending on the persistence and/or severity of the behavior.

The posters have been contacted about their violations via PM and if further violations occur we will take further stronger action.  Please post any questions or concerns in AQG. Moderatorís Helmet Off:
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#40 dec55

dec55
  • Islander
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 12:38 AM

Call Me Robin, on Jun 6 2005, 03:33 AM, said:

Walter Cronkite is one of the most venerated journalists around today, and you're calling him a fraud?   A man who knew how to report the news and you're calling him a fraud? 

As I recall...he said we lost at TET in Vietnam.....we didn't.....it was the
biggest defeat of the Vietcong that day..... and  President Johnson himself said Cronkite's report help the enemies' cause.......Even the North Vietnamese where elated at such a ally in Cronkite's reporting.  It was really a diservice to our troops that  fought and won the Tet offensive.........IMO

And who is this "liberal press" bashing the troops, anyway?  Press coverage of the troops in Iraq has been pretty sympathetic.  This is not Vietnam.  We're not spitting on the troops and calling them baby-killers.

Well....not quite.......the whole Gitmo, Quran thing, (The not mentioning that the Quran was desecrated by inmates as well as a few soldiers that were the exception.)
Many Democrats said that soldiers targeted civilians and were torturing inmates, was common place at Abu Grabe with no difference between Saddams military by Kennedy.   They said they support the troops but undermine everything they try
to do to win this war.  I think it is best that we concentrate on winning and fix the
problems that need to be fixed instead of telling the world that their mission is
just for oil and not defeating Terrorism.  They know what they are fighting for..
and we should support them until their mission is completed.

If you think it's nice that the troops get to listen to Rush, you'll be very happy that Al Franken has gone overseas to personally entertain troops!  :)  He's not just giving lip service to supporting the troops--he's doing it!  :)

Rush went to Afganistan during the winter.......the troops loved every minute he
was there. He may go to Iraq this year. ...Rushbo had mucho great
pictures.....:)

Are reporters with intelligence and integrity considered liberal these days?  If so, "liberal" is a compliment of the highest order!  I knew there were some good things about being liberal!   :)

I dunno....Rather still likes his forged documents.......he wants to use it again.
As for folks like Woodward and Burnstein.....money has become a sore point
with (Deepthroat Phelps).....and money from book deals.......

Like the movie said.   Follow the money....  It  isn't just for jounalism sake...anymore.  But hey Republicans knew that already.

Or perhaps the jokes about Limbaugh really hit close to home for some people, huh?   :whistle:

I know conservatives like to pretend that the media is overwhelmingly liberal, but that's just dishonest.  Especially with Faux News, the New York Post, the Washington Times, and the overrepresentation of right-wingers in the media. 

Last time a poll was taken it was 80% plus  Democrat for the media, and most
voted for Kerry......  Folks are human....and when they hate GW Bush who knows
what they can do?

It sounds like the right-wing media and their followers are engaging in a bit of wishful thinking, just as Limbaugh is busted for drugs, Bush's approval ratings drop, the GOP-run Congress is embarassing itself, and the Iraq war drags on.

See what you get when you watch the Liberal press......? I got news for you,
to this date Rush has not been charged with anything....nor is accused by
anybody to investigate his medical records officially.  There are no charges for even
Dr. shopping which has been reported for almost 2 years.  As for the Iraq war,
troops will be coming home soon. The new Iraqi military have just made their
first offensive against the Insergents and Al queda.....

Iran and North Korea will be next.....on GW's agenda.

Perhaps we've reached a saturation point with right-wing media.  After all, screaming right-wingers have been overrepresented for years.  But now, Faux News is losing viewers, it seems.  Dennis Miller's show has been cancelled; Crossfire was yanked because CNN decided that they agreed with Jon Stewart's opinion of the show.  And Stewart?  He's still a ratings hit.  Meanwhile, Air America is up to 64 stations now and growing. 

Dennis was on some cable channel......nobody watches .....he will just go back to HBO
or Fox......  John Stewart tries to be neutral.....but is still dominated by Hannity and Colmes(Liberal). Plus Greta (Also a liberal gets John Stewart on the ratings at times too..)  Though Orielly is still king........;) (They says he is Conservative....but he says
he a independent......)

Air America is still losing money........I hear Sharpton may join up....and Rusbo wants
to give him pointers......

CNN isn't a sinking ship because of Rush or Faux News.  It's a sinking ship because it's not doing its job.  It's not reporting the news.  It is, like most mainstream media outlets these days, driven by corporate concerns, not journalistic ones.  And it's not exactly a liberal station--in fact, I hear a lot of complaints that it's trying to be Faux Lite.. 

Personally I think they should do what it takes to survive as a business. If it means
actually reporting with no bias and telling the public what your politics are would be refreshing.

I don't doubt that Liberals love this country and care for all who are in it..... I just
wish they would believe us Republicans are the same way even though we disagree on what to do.....we are not the Nazis
they say we are. And I am sure not all Democrats are Soviet loving Commies
that want GW Bush to be assasinated.....either.

Edited by dec55, 06 June 2005 - 12:50 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Military, Recruitment standards, low standards

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users