Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:01 PM

emsparks, on Jun 8 2005, 03:04 PM, said:

WELL: ALL RIGHTY THEN….

Patholgical hatred?

You know the Republicans actually think it makes them look good in the eyes of American public when a Democrat calls then a name. AND GM sends 23,000 jobs to their new 6 billion-dollar plant in China.

I hope you enjoy learning a Communist national anthem.

Looks around the American people know full well who was the gatekeepers when their, and their families jobs when over seas.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm afraid that will happen no matter who is in the white house.

GM may move, but Toyota has a plant here in West Virginia, and they are getting ready to expand for the second time. They say the engine plant here is the most efficent they have, so I think they will be around for a long time.

A lot of GM'd current problems stems from banking on SUV sales, and then having gas prices blow off the roof.
Can't Touch This!!

#22 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:03 PM

I agree the Clinton's. Who with their friends in the media launched attacks at republican leaders and talk show hosts.  They had the FBI refuse to bring MORE files on republican leadership.  So yeah the clintons were very good at smear campaignes. But we can forget about those as they were done against such poor people.

Yeah Right.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#23 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:13 PM

Kosh, on Jun 8 2005, 05:01 PM, said:

emsparks, on Jun 8 2005, 03:04 PM, said:

WELL: ALL RIGHTY THENÖ.

Patholgical hatred?

You know the Republicans actually think it makes them look good in the eyes of American public when a Democrat calls then a name. AND GM sends 23,000 jobs to their new 6 billion-dollar plant in China.

I hope you enjoy learning a Communist national anthem.

Looks around the American people know full well who was the gatekeepers when their, and their families jobs when over seas.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm afraid that will happen no matter who is in the white house.

GM may move, but Toyota has a plant here in West Virginia, and they are getting ready to expand for the second time. They say the engine plant here is the most efficent they have, so I think they will be around for a long time.

A lot of GM'd current problems stems from banking on SUV sales, and then having gas prices blow off the roof.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Three years ago GM committed 6 billion dollars to build a new plant in China, sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy, three years in the making. GM was just looking for an excuse, to pull the plug.

Toyota announced today that; based on the fear that the US might over react if Ford or GM went under, they would raise prices to help stabilize the US market.

I would point out that Toyota and Honda in part owe their existence to contracts for US Army Trucks during the Korean war.

SUVís are only a pretext; GM already has a marketable hybrid.
Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#24 Gabrielles Army

Gabrielles Army
  • Islander
  • 116 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:16 PM

G1223, on Jun 8 2005, 02:03 PM, said:

I agree the Clinton's. Who with their friends in the media launched attacks at republican leaders and talk show hosts.  They had the FBI refuse to bring MORE files on republican leadership.  So yeah the clintons were very good at smear campaignes. But we can forget about those as they were done against such poor people.

Yeah Right.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So now we`re on to the evil Clintons and their friends in the bias liberal media myth. That`s rather predictable. But with the quotes Zwolf posted it`s pretty clear that Democrats aren`t the only ones who have their share of nutjobs in their party who make some rather questionable statements.

#25 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 06:20 PM

*dusts off the ol' stovepipe moderator hat*

Hi guys, let's try to avoid making generalizations about "right-wingers" and "left-wingers" and "Democrats" and "Republicans" in this thread. I know it's easy to fall into that trap... especially when the topic of the thread is someone's comment about what the right-wing party in American politics allegedly is.

Banapis

Weren't there OT guidelines once upon a time that expressly forbid generalizations about parties? Or am I imagining this?

If I'm only dreaming this--or if they once existed but now no longer do so--it might be a good idea for the mods to consider making a statement that such generalizations, if unsubstantiated, constitute 1A violations. I think it would cause everyone to be more careful to either back up their assertions, qualify them, or avoid them altogether.

The blanket condemnations of Republicans and Democrats, conservatives and liberals, that have been flying about lately are, I think, cheesing off people and contributing to the nasty tone of the board. Someone takes a swipe with a broad brush at a party or ideological affiliation, and all those who identify with it are insulted. So some retaliate with similar broad-brush attacks. And all that's accomplished is that people start shouting past one another. No real dialogue, no real give-and-take happens. Essentially, everyone just bangs his/her head against the proverbial brick wall.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#26 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 06:25 PM

Emsparks: Yeah, I know what you mean about GM's job cuts. They have a parts plant not far from my neighborhood: 600 jobs. The morning paper said the GM spokesman couldn't promise it wasn't going to get the axe.

Part of the problem, I think, is GM's healthcare costs. And I suspect that more companies are going to be either reducing payrolls or benefits in the not-too-distant future because of the rising cost of healthcare.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#27 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 07:14 PM

Spectacles, on Jun 8 2005, 11:25 PM, said:

Emsparks: Yeah, I know what you mean about GM's job cuts. They have a parts plant not far from my neighborhood: 600 jobs. The morning paper said the GM spokesman couldn't promise it wasn't going to get the axe.

Part of the problem, I think, is GM's healthcare costs. And I suspect that more companies are going to be either reducing payrolls or benefits in the not-too-distant future because of the rising cost of healthcare.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, if it helps any, GM has economic development agreememts with the cities/counties/states it has plants in.   They have to keep a certain number of jobs or their tax abatements are recaptured back to the beginning of the agreement.  Which means there will be money in the coffers for infrastructure and services and a little room for other companies to ask for abatements.  In other words - shuffle the jobs to some other company wanting to locate in the area.  Now would be a good time for those auto workers to look into their city's tax abatement policy, find out what the target industries are, and retrain themselves to get a job in that industry.  Typically, we look for companys that will employ 600 people with an average annual salary of $60,000 - which is a pretty good salary here although it might not be in other areas of the country.  But, here, a really nice house is about $90,000 and a $250,000 house is a pretty upscale mansion - unless you are looking in the Highland Park neighborhood.

#28 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 07:53 PM

^^^
Nice in theory, Iím 56, and Iím out of the job market due to my health, But I have to tell you getting a new job for someone over forty five is a mother bear, retraining or noÖ Retraining is another one of those urban myths. A forty five-year-old new hire for the most part is lucky if they get $25,000 to start in any market in this country, and are dam lucky to find a job for that. Wal-Mart even gives their new hires instructions how to apply for Welfare and Medicaid.
Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#29 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 09:32 PM

I do know for a fact that Democrats have said some hateful things.  Sure.  But in the interest of fairness, balance, and enlightment, let me show you a few quotes from Republicansthat you've apparently missed, since the hate you've seen has been only from Dems.   There are many at that link, but here are a few choice ones.

"I tell people don't kill all the liberals. Leave enough so we can have two on every campus - living fossils - so we will never forget what these people stood for."
- Rush Limbaugh, Denver Post, 12-29-95

As someone pointed out, this is reminiscent of the Nazi plans to build Jewish museum after they'd wiped out all the Jews--a museum of vanished history, perhaps.

These statements should not be taken as being representative of all Republicans any more than stupid statements made by Dems should be taken as representative, either.    Nobody's got their hands clean. 

Definitely not!  But imagine if Michael Moore had joked about blowing up the Wall Street Journal's offices, or suggested that the only way to talk to a conservative is with a baseball bat (which Coulter sees as the best form of communication with liberals), or if he'd inferred that the Bush twins needed to be killed because they bear a "taint."  You know the mainstream media would never hear the end of it.  And chances are, other progressives would never, ever want anything to do with him.

That said, I still cannot fathom why Ann Coulter hasn't been condemned by conservatives across the board for that statement that her "only regret" with a bombing that killed a lot of innocent people, including children in a daycare center, is that it didn't happen to "liberals" instead. 

There is one conservative critic of Coulter: a guy named Daniel Borchers who heads something called Citizens for Principled Conservatism.  He even has a page called Coulterwatch.
Of all the varieties of virtues, liberalism is the most beloved.
--Aristotle

The fanatic is not really a stickler to principle. He embraces a cause not primarily because of its justness or holiness but because of his desperate need for something to hold onto.
--Eric Hoffer

#30 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 10:01 PM

Zwolf666, on Jun 8 2005, 01:08 PM, said:

"Chelsea is a Clinton. She bears the taint; and though not prosecutable in law, in custom and nature the taint cannot be ignored. All the great despotisms of the past - I'm not arguing for despotism as a principle, but they sure knew how to deal with potential trouble - recognized that the families of objectionable citizens were a continuing threat. In Stalin's penal code it was a crime to be the wife or child of an 'enemy of the people.' The Nazis used the same principle, which they called Sippenhaft, 'clan liability.' In Imperial China, enemies of the state were punished 'to the ninth degree': that is, everyone in the offender's own generation would be killed and everyone related via four generations up, to the great-great-grandparents, and four generations down, to the great-great-grandchildren, would also be killed."
- John Derbyshire, National Review, 02-15-01

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:blink:

all i can say to this a**hat moron quoted here is WTF!?

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#31 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 01:46 AM

When the Democrats are in power, civility is fine. When the Democrats are out of power, things are termed uncivil.

We can see how this works. Same old playbook.

-Ogami

#32 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 06:10 AM

Ogami, on Jun 9 2005, 06:46 AM, said:

When the Democrats are in power, civility is fine. When the Democrats are out of power, things are termed uncivil.

-Ogami

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I went to see "Star Wars" for my birthday when it first came out in 1977.  That was a really fun birthday.
Of all the varieties of virtues, liberalism is the most beloved.
--Aristotle

The fanatic is not really a stickler to principle. He embraces a cause not primarily because of its justness or holiness but because of his desperate need for something to hold onto.
--Eric Hoffer

#33 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 06:46 AM

After reading those quotes, and going through Coulterwatch, i have to say that Ann Coulter scares the hell out of me.

#34 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:06 AM

QUOTE(Ogami @ Jun 9 2005, 06:46 AM)

-Ogami

I went to see "Star Wars" for my birthday when it first came out in 1977. That was a really fun birthday.

******* Y'know what I saw when I was a kid that was really good?  This movie called Sasquatch.   It came out in 1977, so I was ten.  Anyway, it really scared the heck out of me and my friends, but I've never seen it since.  I saw the videocassette in a mom-and-pop videostore in Tupelo once, but I couldn't rent it because I don't live close enough to Tupelo to have been able to bring it back.  My girlfriend at the time claimed she'd take it back for me, 'cuz she went to Tupelo a lot, but I knew she was a flake and completely unreliable, so I didn't go with that plan.   Anyway, Sasquatch is coming out on DVD in less than a week (on June 14 - which is Flag Day.  I like Flag Day - it's a patriotic American holiday, and you don't have the pressure of buying anybody a present.  Father's Day is also coming up... big pressure there.  Wouldn't be, though, if my dad wanted a copy of Sasquatch!  But, alas...).   Anyway, Sasquatch is coming out on the Sasquatch Horror box set, with two other movies... but those two movies are readily available (Snow Creature and Snowbeast), so I'm only really psyched about Sasquatch, since I haven't seen it since 1977.  It probably won't be as great as I remember, but, what the heck.   Time makes even the mediocre seem magnificent.

Ronald Reagan, by the way, has a stamp now.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#35 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:09 AM

Zwolf666, on Jun 9 2005, 05:06 AM, said:

******* Y'know what I saw when I was a kid that was really good?  This movie called Sasquatch.   It came out in 1977, so I was ten.  Anyway, it really scared the heck out of me and my friends, but I've never seen it since.  I saw the videocassette in a mom-and-pop videostore in Tupelo once, but I couldn't rent it because I don't live close enough to Tupelo to have been able to bring it back.  My girlfriend at the time claimed she'd take it back for me, 'cuz she went to Tupelo a lot, but I knew she was a flake and completely unreliable, so I didn't go with that plan.   Anyway, Sasquatch is coming out on DVD in less than a week (on June 14 - which is Flag Day.  I like Flag Day - it's a patriotic American holiday, and you don't have the pressure of buying anybody a present.  Father's Day is also coming up... big pressure there.  Wouldn't be, though, if my dad wanted a copy of Sasquatch!  But, alas...).   

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good plan!  Relying on others to return stuff that can draw fines is never a good idea.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#36 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:20 AM

Good plan! Relying on others to return stuff that can draw fines is never a good idea.

***** Especially with this girl.  She was big-time unreliable.  The last time I saw her, she was nagging me to swap tee-shirts with her.  I was wearing a Kreator "Pleasure To Kill" tee-shirt (old German thrash band), and she wanted to borrow it for something and swore she'd bring it back to me the next day because she was coming to my town, anyway.  I declined... and, true to form, she never showed up anyway.  I still have the tee-shirt somewhere, even though the neurotic girlfriend is, luckily, long gone.  I think she became a cop or something.  :)

Cheers,

Zwolf

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."

#37 Eskaminzim

Eskaminzim

Head eggs and butt toast

• Islander
  • 559 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:25 AM

In 1976, I think it was (give or take a year), I went with my dad to see Jaws.  If it was, in fact, 1976, I was 12-going-on-13.  I remember after the movie (we went to see it on July 4--which is also a pretty good holiday--no present buying pressure but lots of cool fireworks to shoot off and watch) we were watching the fireworks from our back yard.  But I couldn't, because my back was to our built in pool and I was sure that the shark was going to come up out of it and eat me whole.  Had to keep it in my sites, that pool, so I couldn't see the fireworks.

Course, I feared that about the tub, too.

And the toilet.

And especially the ocean, though the Jersey shore was more dangerous for its needles and e-coli human waste washing up on the shores than any old shark could be.

That wasn't a very good July 4.

Whenever it was.

#38 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 09:07 AM

blink

blinkblink

Is this the opening round of a donut party, or are you guys intentionally posting off topic?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#39 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 09:23 AM

Is this the opening round of a donut party, or are you guys intentionally posting off topic?

A little of both. :)   I'm just supporting what I thought was a very good idea on Robin's part - replying to absurdity with absurdity. :)

Besides, it's more fun and intellectually-profitable (as well as peaceful) to hear Star Wars/Jaws stories than another round of "your side is all bad and my side is all good.   Your side eats babies, causes plagues of rats, and gives poison milk to schoolchildren, while my side puts the rainbows in the sky, makes it rain delicious candy,  and has magical unicorns fill the streets, bearing toys for all!"  That gets old.

So, pass the doughnuts... :)

Cheers,

Zwolf

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."

#40 Atavus

Atavus

Buying more stuff on eBay

• Islander
  • 4,116 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 09:26 AM

I all honesty though, if you want to talk movies past and present, move the discussion to GMD.

Edited by Atavus, 09 June 2005 - 09:27 AM.

Avid fan of "Everybody Loves Hypno-Toad" and Sophie

3000 posts and counting! :) - 18 October 05

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DNC, Howard Dean, Criticism, Democrats, Party Chairman

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users