140 replies to this topic

#41 Atavus

Atavus

Buying more stuff on eBay

• Islander
  • 4,116 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 09:26 AM

Clone.

Edited by Atavus, 09 June 2005 - 09:26 AM.

Avid fan of "Everybody Loves Hypno-Toad" and Sophie

3000 posts and counting! :) - 18 October 05

#42 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:04 AM

Godeskian, on Jun 9 2005, 09:07 AM, said:

Is this the opening round of a donut party

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is that?

Zwolf666, on Jun 9 2005, 09:23 AM, said:

Your side eats babies, causes plagues of rats, and gives poison milk to schoolchildren, while my side puts the rainbows in the sky, makes it rain delicious candy,  and has magical unicorns fill the streets, bearing toys for all!"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The list of exaggerated awful nasty things to claim the other side did once included "they kill cats"... until it turned out to be LITERALLY TRUE of one of them. :wacko:

#43 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 12:13 PM

Delvo, on Jun 9 2005, 04:04 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is that?

Old slipstream habit concocted by the Argosy. Whenever a thread degenerated (by their estimation, not the board admins or anything) they would flood the thread with off topic spam, usually about donuts (hence Donut party) with the intent of absolutely destroying the threads discussion.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#44 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 12:24 PM

Godeskian, on Jun 9 2005, 11:13 AM, said:

Delvo, on Jun 9 2005, 04:04 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is that?

Old slipstream habit concocted by the Argosy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Adopted by the Argosy, technically.  They were around before that too ;) [/Pedant]
cervisiam tene rem specta

#45 Nonprofit

Nonprofit
  • Islander
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 06:25 PM

Howard Dean is so busy defending his "off the wall" statements that he has no time for fund raising.   When the Dems call upon him to "Show us the Money", what lame remark will he come up with...lol....  Some of the Democrats are surely not going to like that one bit,  just as they are not likeing what is coming out of his mouth now.

Truely is hard to believe he was at one time front runner and actually was considered for the job of President. YIKES!  He makes a better DNC chairman.  They made a fine choice picking him for that job.

RuReddy

#46 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 06:30 PM

Zwolf666, on Jun 9 2005, 02:23 PM, said:

....... another round of "your side is all bad and my side is all good.   Your side eats babies, causes plagues of rats, and gives poison milk to schoolchildren, while my side puts the rainbows in the sky, makes it rain delicious candy,  and has magical unicorns fill the streets, bearing toys for all!"  ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You forgot the "chicken in every pot, car in every garage" - other than that, it is a mighty fine analogy.

#47 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 06:33 PM

RuReddy1, on Jun 9 2005, 11:25 PM, said:

Howard Dean is so busy defending his "off the wall" statements that he has no time for fund raising.   When the Dems call upon him to "Show us the Money", what lame remark will he come up with...lol....  Some of the Democrats are surely not going to like that one bit,  just as they are not likeing what is coming out of his mouth now.

Truely is hard to believe he was at one time front runner and actually was considered for the job of President. YIKES!  He makes a better DNC chairman.  They made a fine choice picking him for that job.

RuReddy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I used to watch Bugs Bunny a lot as a kid.  Bugs Bunny was my favorite cartoon character.  Woody Woodpecker was a close second.  My favorite cartoon of all time is "Duck Amuck."
Of all the varieties of virtues, liberalism is the most beloved.
--Aristotle

The fanatic is not really a stickler to principle. He embraces a cause not primarily because of its justness or holiness but because of his desperate need for something to hold onto.
--Eric Hoffer

#48 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 06:56 PM

Woody is a Pileated Woodpecker.
Posted Image

#49 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 06:58 PM

Zwolf666, on Jun 9 2005, 09:06 AM, said:

QUOTE(Ogami @ Jun 9 2005, 06:46 AM)
When the Democrats are in power, civility is fine. When the Democrats are out of power, things are termed uncivil.

We can see how this works. Same old playbook.

-Ogami

I went to see "Star Wars" for my birthday when it first came out in 1977. That was a really fun birthday.

******* Y'know what I saw when I was a kid that was really good?  This movie called Sasquatch.   It came out in 1977, so I was ten.  Anyway, it really scared the heck out of me and my friends, but I've never seen it since.  I saw the videocassette in a mom-and-pop videostore in Tupelo once, but I couldn't rent it because I don't live close enough to Tupelo to have been able to bring it back.  My girlfriend at the time claimed she'd take it back for me, 'cuz she went to Tupelo a lot, but I knew she was a flake and completely unreliable, so I didn't go with that plan.   Anyway, Sasquatch is coming out on DVD in less than a week (on June 14 - which is Flag Day.  I like Flag Day - it's a patriotic American holiday, and you don't have the pressure of buying anybody a present.  Father's Day is also coming up... big pressure there.  Wouldn't be, though, if my dad wanted a copy of Sasquatch!  But, alas...).   Anyway, Sasquatch is coming out on the Sasquatch Horror box set, with two other movies... but those two movies are readily available (Snow Creature and Snowbeast), so I'm only really psyched about Sasquatch, since I haven't seen it since 1977.  It probably won't be as great as I remember, but, what the heck.   Time makes even the mediocre seem magnificent.

Ronald Reagan, by the way, has a stamp now.

Cheers,

Zwolf

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember that movie and I was a little older when I saw it.  I don't think you'll be scared but you won't be disappointed either, the acting is bad enough to make it funny and the "Sasquatch" is lame enough to be a hoot.  Enjoy!   :lol:

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#50 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 07:01 PM

What the heck is going on here? :blink:

Oh, okay...

ZWolff666 said:

Besides, it's more fun and intellectually-profitable (as well as peaceful) to hear Star Wars/Jaws stories than another round of "your side is all bad and my side is all good. Your side eats babies, causes plagues of rats, and gives poison milk to schoolchildren, while my side puts the rainbows in the sky, makes it rain delicious candy, and has magical unicorns fill the streets, bearing toys for all!" That gets old.

But if you feel that way, why not just let the thread die? Not giving it attention seems like a better strategy than threadjacking, imo.

Edited by Kevin Street, 09 June 2005 - 07:06 PM.

Per aspera ad astra

#51 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:34 PM

Atavus said:

I all honesty though, if you want to talk movies past and present, move the discussion to GMD.

Yes, but...

Atavus said:

Clone.

...it's "Attack of the Clones"! :insanosmile:
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#52 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:35 PM

I just want make sure that when there is another Bush Bashing thread that it's ok to flood the thread. Because I would hate to get warned  again.

Because for me Dean has shown that he not only does not understand why his party lost but that he is going to run it into the ground.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#53 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:40 PM

G1223, on Jun 10 2005, 03:35 AM, said:

I just want make sure that when there is another Bush Bashing thread that it's ok to flood the thread. Because I would hate to get warned  again.

Because for me Dean has shown that he not only does not understand why his party lost but that he is going to run it into the ground.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I went to Austin, Texas earlier this year.  They have a lot of music clubs down there.
Of all the varieties of virtues, liberalism is the most beloved.
--Aristotle

The fanatic is not really a stickler to principle. He embraces a cause not primarily because of its justness or holiness but because of his desperate need for something to hold onto.
--Eric Hoffer

#54 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 11:01 PM

Okay, I'm not a mod in OT, but I'm asking all of you to STOP IT.  

If you want to discuss movies take it to Reviews or GMD.

You may not like those trying to get it back on track, or their point of view but this reactions is just insulting, and just as wrong way rubbing as their ( in your estimation ) absurdities.

Flooding the thread, by any one (s) is just wrong.

Edited by Shalamar, 09 June 2005 - 11:04 PM.

The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#55 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 12:52 AM

Adopted by the Argosy, technically.  They were around before that too ;) [/Pedant]

Yup, because I remember who originally started the Donut Parties, and it wasn't the Argosy.

#56 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 03:23 AM

so sue me :)
I didn't even join slipstream till 6 months before it closed.

And Call Me Robin, Spamming threads you don't like because you think it's funny, or because you expect a heated reaction for doing it is not cool.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#57 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 03:36 AM

Gode there is an applogy towards yourself by me in AQG. I misread a post of yours where I thought you were supporting the flooding. When I reread the post  I saw my mistake and posted my applogy there and am doing the same here.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#58 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 08:19 AM

G1223, on Jun 10 2005, 09:36 AM, said:

Gode there is an applogy towards yourself by me in AQG. I misread a post of yours where I thought you were supporting the flooding. When I reread the post  I saw my mistake and posted my applogy there and am doing the same here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tis okay G, no apology need. :)

Defy Gravity!

#59 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 09:52 AM

Alrighty, then, no more movie-talk from me.  I just thought it was a peaceful way to deal with pointless abusive slander, but apparently it's "rude" or something.  I could just get in touch with my inner-sonofabitch and light people up like Christmas, but that won't flow around here, either.   And whining about things like a complete tit is absolutely not my style (although it does seem to be pretty effective - get everybody busy walking on eggs with an impossible task like trying to keep Senor Neverhappy happy, and you've really got something.)

So, none of these things are viable.   And anything else I come up with isn't likely to be judged very well, either.  So, how 'bout a little help?  My methods don't seem to work very well for ya'll, and the "hey, how 'bout you just keep rolling over and taking it?" plan doesn't seem to offer much profit for me.  Ignoring it has only been taken advantage of.   So, how 'bout some help?  

Crack down on the source - not just the people who are trying to find ways to deal with it -  and the problem will become moot.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#60 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 10:05 AM

Having been around long enough to witness Robin tangling with some of the Internet's most abrasive personalities, including O Deus and the late and legendary Cronan Thompson and Gharlane of Eddore, it's kind of fascinating to watch her in action here.  This must be like the Jay-Vee league for her. ;)
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DNC, Howard Dean, Criticism, Democrats, Party Chairman

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users