Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:21 PM

PETA Members charged with Animal Cruelty

:Oo:

#2 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:24 PM

From now on, everytime PETA opens it's mouth, someone should remind them of this. I'm all for treating animals humanely, but PETA's scare tactics makes them domestic terrorists IMO. I hope they throw the book at these two...put them in jail for as long as possible.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#3 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:26 PM

Why is PETA euthanizing animals anyway?
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#4 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:30 PM

Anastashia, on Jun 17 2005, 11:26 PM, said:

Why is PETA euthanizing animals anyway?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That I would *very much* like to know. And from the article, this seems to be an ongoing thing...not a one time offense. Because the officers staked out the dumpster because of previous dead animals being dumped...Looks like PETA has mastered the art of politics: Say one thing, do the exact opposite.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#5 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:56 PM

D'Monix, on Jun 17 2005, 11:21 PM, said:

I'm not surprised.  Penn & Teller did an episode on these a**holes.  Click here.

from SHO.com's PETA message board said:

7 Things You Didn't Know About PETA

1) PETA president and co-founder Ingrid Newkirk has described her group’s overall goal as “total animal liberation.” This means no meat, no milk, no zoos, no circuses, no wool, no leather, no hunting, no fishing, and no pets (not even seeing-eye dogs). PETA is also against all medical research that requires the use of animals.

2) Despite its constant moralizing about the “unethical” treatment of animals by restaurant owners, grocers, farmers, scientists, anglers, and countless other Americans, PETA has killed over 10,000 dogs and cats at its Norfolk, Virginia headquarters. During 2003, PETA put to death over 85 percent of the animals it collected from members of the public.

3) PETA has given tens of thousands of dollars to convicted arsonists and other violent criminals. This includes a 2001 donation of $1,500 to the North American Earth Liberation Front (ELF), an FBI-certified “domestic terrorist” group responsible for dozens of firebombs and death threats. During the 1990s, PETA paid $70,200 to an Animal Liberation Front (ALF) activist convicted of burning down a Michigan State University research laboratory. In his sentencing recommendation, a federal prosecutor implicated PETA president Ingrid Newkirk in that crime. And PETA vegetarian campaign coordinator Bruce Friedrich told an animal rights convention in 2001 that “blowing stuff up and smashing windows” is “a great way to bring about animal liberation.”

4) PETA activists regularly target children as young as six years old with anti-meat and anti-milk propaganda, often waiting outside their schools to intercept them as they walk to and from class-without notifying parents. One piece of kid-targeted PETA literature tells small children: “Your Mommy Kills Animals!” PETA brags that its messages reach over 2 million children every year, including thousands reached by e-mail without the permission of their parents. One PETA vice president told the Fox News Channel’s audience: “Our campaigns are always geared towards children, and they always will be.”

5) PETA has used a related organization, the PETA Foundation, to fund the misnamed Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM), a deceptive animal rights group that promotes itself as an unbiased source of medical and nutritional information. PCRM's president also serves as president of the PETA Foundation.

6) PETA runs campaigns seemingly calculated to offend religious believers. One entire PETA website is devoted to the claim-despite ample evidence to the contrary-that Jesus Christ was a vegetarian. PETA holds protests at houses of worship, even suing one church that tried to protect its members from Sunday-morning harassment. Its billboards taunt Christians with the message that hogs “died for their sins.” PETA insists, contrary to centuries of rabbinical teaching, that the Jewish ritual of kosher slaughter shouldn't be allowed. And its infamous “Holocaust on Your Plate” campaign crassly compares the Jewish victims of Nazi genocide with farm animals.

7) PETA has repeatedly attacked research foundations like the March of Dimes, the Pediatric AIDS Foundation, and the American Cancer Society, because they support animal-based research that might uncover cures for birth defects and life-threatening diseases. PETA president Ingrid Newkirk has said that “even if animal research resulted in a cure for AIDS, we would be against it.”

Edited by JohnnyBOB, 18 June 2005 - 12:13 AM.

#6 Anzibanonzi

Anzibanonzi
  • Islander
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 12:12 AM

Okay, personally I think what PETA does overall is laudable. But these two make me sick. On the news she said something like "all I ever wanted to do was help the animals." I really don't see how mass murdering them and putting them in a dumpter qualifies as helping...

but, we must keep in mind it is only two individuals...
Harper: What are you two, idiots?

Beka: Why didn't you catch him?

Rhade: I thought you had him.

Shiny Happy Pod Person #985

#7 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 12:30 AM

I'd like to know too.  I know some animals are euthanized because they have been used for medical testing and have been exposed to some very bad things.  Other animals are too sick to recover.  Other animals are dangerous because of training.

Earlier today I stopped at the local store.  Someone had tied their pit bull to a post outside and taken off.  They had told the store manager they would be back in 30 minutes but they never came back.  The dog was suffering from heat exhaustion and dehydration.  When I arrived, a young woman was working with the animal, trying to give him water and get him up and into her car.  I walked over to take a look at him and he got up, walked up to me and started wagging his tail.  He must have smelled my dogs on me and felt he'd found a friend, or else he is kindred to older women.  I'd have taken him home with me but I already have 4 dogs and 5 cats.  Plus, pit bulls scare me.  Anyway, with him up, we got him into her car and her boyfriend was coming to meet her and take the dog and care for him.  I only hope that the person that abandoned this dog hoped someone would take pity on him.

#8 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 12:43 AM

Anzibanonzi, on Jun 18 2005, 12:12 AM, said:

but, we must keep in mind it is only two individuals...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

accused of this crime, yes. But it is more then two people that target children, like above. PETA members also handed out fake KFC buckets, filled with fake blood and other gross materials, to KIDS when they walked out. At least one parent had the decency to punch that PETA member in the face.

#9 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 01:00 AM

Did anyone catch the news conference?

From the story, it sounds like these two were picking up animals from the shelters and were supposed to be taking them back to PETA where the animals would be euthanized.  But, with the 31 counts of felony animal abuse, and the animals found in the trash and in the van, I get the impression that these two killed the animals in some other fashion without taking the animals to PETA to be euthanized.

#10 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 01:03 AM

eloisel, on Jun 18 2005, 01:00 AM, said:

From the story, it sounds like these two were picking up animals from the shelters and were supposed to be taking them back to PETA where the animals would be euthanized.  But, with the 31 counts of felony animal abuse, and the animals found in the trash and in the van, I get the impression that these two killed the animals in some other fashion without taking the animals to PETA to be euthanized.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure about the rest of you, but I'm all for euthanizing these two.

#11 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 01:26 AM

I'm not going to say it.  I'm just not!

#12 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 09:10 AM

eloisel, on Jun 18 2005, 02:00 AM, said:

From the story, it sounds like these two were picking up animals from the shelters and were supposed to be taking them back to PETA where the animals would be euthanized.  But, with the 31 counts of felony animal abuse, and the animals found in the trash and in the van, I get the impression that these two killed the animals in some other fashion without taking the animals to PETA to be euthanized.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I did not see the news conference but I've learned something today anyway. This was the basis for my original question i.e. why is PETA an agency doing euthanization services.

I always knew PETA was an organization that opposed the use of animals for food, animal experimentation, the fur industry. As an aside I see vegitarianism as an extreme view. I can respect the people who do it but it's extreme IMHO.

What I never knew is that PETA opposed having animals as pets. I'm pretty sure we would all agree that perfectly healthy and behaviorialy acceptable animals are destroyed because there aren't enough homes for them. I'm just not sure I see euthanizing animals as opposed to first making efforts to find them homes as no kill shelters do as completely ethical. I suppose PETA could make the arguement that animals in a shelter situation are living in a less than optimal environment. Then again look at most rescue organizations who have a large foster program putting the animals with willing families until a permanent home can be found.

Ethical treatment my eye.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#13 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 09:23 AM

Anastashia said: What I never knew is that PETA opposed having animals as pets. I'm pretty sure we would all agree that perfectly healthy and behaviorialy acceptable animals are destroyed because there aren't enough homes for them. I'm just not sure I see euthanizing animals as opposed to first making efforts to find them homes as no kill shelters do as completely ethical. I suppose PETA could make the arguement that animals in a shelter situation are living in a less than optimal environment. Then again look at most rescue organizations who have a large foster program putting the animals with willing families until a permanent home can be found.

I didn't know that PETA was opposed to animals as pets either, that's weird.  And just FYI, there really is no such thing as a "no kill shelter".  The "no kill shelters" just don't take in the animals that aren't adoptable so they wind up at the places that will euthanize them.  I work for the Humane Society and its not the animals fault, it's humans that are the problem but it's also humans that are the solution.  Spay/neuter your pets.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#14 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 09:37 AM

Probably an anomaly rather than the norm, but still, definite hypocrisy there.  

I love animals, but I never did like PETA.  Extremism is anything is almost always a mistake...

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#15 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 09:47 AM

PETA is not opposed to humans having pets or companion animals, Baldy.  Here's what they actually do oppose:  

What do you mean by ‘animal rights’?”
Animal rights means that animals deserve certain kinds of consideration—consideration of what is in their own best interests regardless of whether they are cute, useful to humans, or an endangered species and regardless of whether any human cares about them at all (just as a mentally-challenged human has rights even if he or she is not cute or useful or even if everyone dislikes him or her). It means recognizing that animals are not ours to use—for food, clothing, entertainment, or experimentation

PETA's FAQ/mission statement

There was a faction of PETA, many years ago, that did oppose the keeping of companion animals.  That's not the offcial position of the organization now.  

And yes, they're an in-your-face organization.  But they are not a terrorist organization by any means.  There may be individuals who commit violent acts to draw attention to what they consider abuses, but a) they're not following the organization's official position and b) there's a long history of such actions in human civil rights and liberation movements.

Edited by waterpanther, 18 June 2005 - 09:49 AM.

Posted Image

#16 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

Charlie's Asthmatic Angel

• 22,354 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 09:53 AM

One thing that extremists never get is that they hurt their own causes.  I'm against animal cruelty and I'm a vegetarain but I can't really go to extremes.  It doesn't help the animal rights cause overall IMO.

Edited by Mary Rose, 18 June 2005 - 10:14 AM.

Mary Rose, Official Missionary for the Church of Beka angst.  Please join us for worship at the EI fanfic board.  Jill-- on what my name badge should say.
Proud Andromeda and Forever Knight fanfic writer
    Posted Image           Posted Image           Posted Image
Proud parent of thriving Beka and Tracy muses
Posted Image

#17 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 10:11 AM

To a certain point, that's true.  But it's usually "extremists" that get a movement going.  Betty Frieden, Susan Brownmiller and Germaine Greer were all "extremists" at the beginning of the women's movement, but Hillary Clinton wouldn't be a prospective Presidential candidate today without them.  The gay civil rights movement began with an act of violence, the Stonewall Rebellion.  For that matter, it was "extremists" who tossed the tea into Boston Harbor one dark night.

That said, it's not really useful to label all members of a movement extremists because some are.  I know a number of good folks who oppose abortion but would die themselves before murdering a doctor.  And as Specs' post has reminded us, not every Christian is a Randall Terry.  ('Course, it's questionable whether Terry is a Christian at all. :devil: )  PETA is easier to label "extremist" because it questions beliefs a lot of people simply take for granted, and the first response to that kind of challenge is usually defensiveness.
Posted Image

#18 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 11:10 AM

WP said: PETA is not opposed to humans having pets or companion animals, Baldy. Here's what they actually do oppose:

What do you mean by ‘animal rights’?”
Animal rights means that animals deserve certain kinds of consideration—consideration of what is in their own best interests regardless of whether they are cute, useful to humans, or an endangered species and regardless of whether any human cares about them at all (just as a mentally-challenged human has rights even if he or she is not cute or useful or even if everyone dislikes him or her). It means recognizing that animals are not ours to use—for food, clothing, entertainment, or experimentation

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.  Someone tried to use the fact the PETA euthanizes animals (a lot of animals) as a "gotcha" when we were discussing Dr. Frists adopting Shelter animals for honing his surgical skills.  It pissed me off because I know my Shelter euthanizes a lot of animals but we work hard to adpot them or foster them.  And every animal that comes in to our Shelter gets loved even the ones we euthanize or especially the ones that we euthanize.  And why do animals get euthanized?  Because humans don't think things through, not all humans but a lot of them.  A pet is a life and should be taken seriously.  If you're moving and you find a place that won't take your pet, find another place that will.  SPAY AND NEUTER!!!!  Don't make baby animals you can't take care of.  Don't teach your animal to be mean.  Tag or chip your pet!

Dang!  I better get off my soapbox, I'm skairt o' heights!   :wideeyed:

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#19 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 12:24 PM

waterpanther, on Jun 18 2005, 08:11 AM, said:

PETA is easier to label "extremist" because it questions beliefs a lot of people simply take for granted, and the first response to that kind of challenge is usually defensiveness.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's not why I would call them extremist. I call them extreme for thier crude tactics ("Mommy is a murderer!"), and their absurd positions (human beings are not herbivores, we got sharp teeth up front meant for eating meat. We're omnivores!). They may have points on animal testing, but they do not distinguish from people sparying perfume in a dog's eyes to see if there's an allergic reaction to the perfume, and animals used to develop a medical treatment that could save thousands of people.

Anyone know where I can get a "People Eating Tasty Animals" sticker at?  :devil:

#20 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 12:45 PM

As I said, they challenge beliefs many people take for granted.  Yes, humans have canine teeth--much reduced canine teeth.  We do not have carnassials at all, the teeth true carnivores use to shear meat into chewable portions.  Chimpanzees, who have proportionally much larger canines, make meat a far smaller relative component of their diets than do affluent humans.  Gorillas eat little or no meat; I don't know of any observations of gorillas hunting in the wild as chimps sometimes do.  We can eat meat.   We're just not really well designed for it, and it's consequently not a particularly healthy choice in many instances.  

Now, I'm not arguing against omnivorousness, and I'm not arguing against all commercial meat production.  I may not have to eat meat, but my cats are obligate carnivores who cannot tolerate a vegetarian diet. PETA has done an enormous amount of good work in exposing and curtailing some of the most appalling practices involved in slaughter of animals for food, changes that also reduce human health risks.  

As for animal testing, much of it is as egregious as Frist's actions.  Much is redundant past any point of usefulness.  Computer models frequently work as well or better.

And nobody outside of the Arctic, in this day of central heating and Polartec, has any need to wear fur.

Edited by waterpanther, 18 June 2005 - 12:48 PM.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PETA, Animal Curelty

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users