PETA Animal Curelty

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 06:55 PM

LoTS, I don't see the quote, but I do see one bald-faced lie right there at the top of the page:

PETA supports banning the ownership of pets and advocates releasing them into the wild

This is flatly untrue.  And look at the "experts" on the page.  What, pray, does Ted Nugent know about animal rights?  (Actually, that sentence could be three words shorter and still be accurate.)  You have the aforementioned "Consumers" group with shadowy financing, medical experimenters--Geeze, Louise, what would  you expect these folks to say?  They're all vested interest groups, and PETA has gotten in their faces.  If you're known by your enemies, PETA looks better and better.  

Question. Are you trying to say that the PETA members who hand out fake KFC buckets, filled with fake blood, ect...aren't the norm for PETA?

Got it in one.  :D  As far as I can tell, most of PETA's work is very similar to what the ASPCA and Humane Society does.  As for the rest,  they are confrontational, and they've made enemies by exposing the horrific conditions inside some labs, fur farms  and slaughterhouses.  They challenge some basic assumptions of our society, and that makes the challenged resentful and angry.  Here's a question for you, LoTS--have you read anything about PETA that does not come off a site that opposes them?
Posted Image

#42 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 07:28 PM

waterpanther, on Jun 18 2005, 06:55 PM, said:

Here's a question for you, LoTS--have you read anything about PETA that does not come off a site that opposes them?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, I haven't. Not sure I would believe them though...afterall, if you ask a prisoner in jail if he is guilty he's naturally going to say No, he's innocent. Same would hold true for PETA.

Once I heard about PETA members targeting children with the fake KFC buckets, and screaming at kids that their mother is a murderer...that told me all I needed to know about PETA.

The fact that they have funded known terrorists groups only confirms it.

If, as you say, those PETA members handing out fake KFC buckets, and telling kids that their mom is a murderer who kills animals aren't the norm...then why are these people still members of PETA? Why hasn't PETA publicly stepped up and denounced these people?
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#43 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 07:41 PM

_ph said:

Not just because some of their positions are hypocritical (decrying fur while wearing patent leather shoes -- not that I'm a fan of fur),

I'm not a fan of fur or leather clothes either but last time I checked patent leather was not a natural substance.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#44 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 07:48 PM

Where is your proof, please, that PETA has funded known terrorist groups?  Don't you think if they did that, the IRS would be on them in a heartbeat?  Can you name, by the way, one human being who has been physically injured by a PETA representative?  By ELF or ALF?  I do find it interesting that the FBI under the Bush administration considers ALF/ELF the "number one domestic terrorist organization."  What, has the KKK thrown away all the bed linens?  Have they caught all the anti-abortionists who bomb clinics and kill their staff members?  It's ridiculous.

No, I haven't. Not sure I would believe them though...afterall, if you ask a prisoner in jail if he is guilty he's naturally going to say No, he's innocent. Same would hold true for PETA.

Ah.  Mind closed.  Case closed.  String 'em up.

Under those circumstances, I won't pursue this discussion with you further.  But may I say that I sincerely hope that anyone with the above attitude will, as a matter of ethics, refuse to sit on a jury.
Posted Image

#45 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 08:01 PM

anastashia:
I'm not a fan of fur or leather clothes either but last time I checked patent leather was not a natural substance.

Well, crap.    :blush:

QUOTE(_ph)
Not just because some of their positions are hypocritical (decrying fur while wearing Doc Martens -- not that I'm a fan of fur),

:angel:

Edited by _ph, 18 June 2005 - 08:01 PM.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#46 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 09:43 PM

waterpanther: Where is your proof, please, that PETA has funded known terrorist groups?

As I posted above, a Google of the terms "ALF, ELF, funding" returns a long list of links, with PETA mentioned in nearly every. single. one.  

Here's the first example that popped up, from CNSNews (a medical industry trade publication).    

http://www.cdfe.org/conference.htm

PETA Under Attack for Funding Alleged Eco-Terrorists
By Jason Pierce
CNSNews.com Staff Writer
March 08, 2002

Washington (CNSNews.com) - As concerns about eco-terrorism mount on Capitol Hill, there is more finger-pointing aimed at People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), which admits to having provided financial support to a group allegedly connected to the terrorism.

But while PETA acknowledges that some of its money has in the past gone to the Earth Liberation Front (ELF), and to the legal defense funds for several Animal Liberation Front (ALF) members, the organization denies that any of its money "goes toward illegal activities."

waterpanther: Can you name, by the way, one human being who has been physically injured by a PETA representative?

Waterpanther, hundreds of human beings have been assaulted.  They make and set-off IEDs, and they don't get to do that.  They blow up buildings, for God's sake, and they certainly don't get to do that.    

It's a f___ing miracle they haven't--as you pointed out--killed anyone yet.  But it's also inevitable that they will.  Again--arson, bombs.   :eh:   What could happen?      

waterpanther: I do find it interesting that the FBI under the Bush administration considers ALF/ELF the "number one domestic terrorist organization."  What, has the KKK thrown away all the bed linens? Have they caught all the anti-abortionists who bomb clinics and kill their staff members?  It's ridiculous.

Is it?  We report--You decide.  (So to speak).

From Southern Poverty Law Center http://www.splcenter...icle.jsp?sid=29

Eco-Violence: The Record

Extremists within the environmental and animal rights movements have committed literally thousands of violent criminal acts in recent decades — arguably more than those from any other radical sector, left or right.

Allthough these extremists have yet to kill anyone in America, they have carried out arsons, firebombings, assaults, and attacks on animal-based businesses and laboratories.

APRIL 15, 1987
Davis, Calif.
An ALF arson attack at the University of California, Davis, Animal Diagnostics Laboratory destroyed a building and 20 vehicles, causing $5.1 million in damage.

JUNE 28, 1998
Olympia, Wash.
The ALF and ELF claimed responsibility for an arson at a U.S. Department of Agriculture Damage Control building.

Firebombing a federal building.  Hmmm.  Sounds like a terrorist act to me.  No?  

APRIL 5, 1999
Minneapolis, Minn.
Laboratories at the University of Minnesota were vandalized and dozens of research animals stolen by the ALF, wrecking research into Alzheimer's and cancer.

MAY 10, 1999
Neah Bay, Wash.
Sea Defense Alliance activists Jake Conroy and Josh Harper (who would later work for Stop Huntingdon Animal Cruelty) were charged with felony assault after allegedly throwing ignited smoke canisters at a Makah tribe's whaling support vessel and firing a lighted flare across its bow.

This is one of my favorites:

OCT. 1999
Various cities
An ALF faction known as the Justice Department took credit for sending over 80 razor blade-laced envelopes, each containing a threatening letter with a picture of a bomb on it, to animal researchers, hunting guides and others in the United States and Canada. An ALF communiqué said some of the razor blades, which were positioned so as to slice open the fingers of anyone opening the envelopes, were coated in rat poison.

AKA, attempted mass-murder.    

NOV. 1, 1999
Seattle, Wash.
Four gasoline bombs were thrown into a Gap clothing store in an attack the FBI attributed to the ALF.

JAN. 15, 2000
Petaluma, Calif.
The ALF claimed credit for placing five incendiary devices in offices and trucks at a Petaluma Farms chicken farm (which "enslaves chickens for their eggs"). Two trucks were destroyed.

JAN. 23, 2001
Capitola, Calif.
Peter Schnell and Matthew Whyte, both of the Animal Defense League, were found behind the Capitola City Hall with plastic milk bottles, gasoline and candles. After five containers of gasoline were found in Whyte's car, Schnell told police he was working on a "craft project." Authorities ultimately would sentence Schnell to 24 months and Whyte to 14 months in prison for attempted arson.

Those crazy kids!

JULY 10, 2002
Seattle, Wash.
Animal rights activists set off smoke bombs in two downtown buildings, sending 700 office workers fleeing into the streets.
The targets were firms insuring Huntingdon Life Sciences, a company that does animal testing.

So, all in all, I think a reasonable person would have to agree these people are dangerous.  

Incidentally:

APRIL 1, 1985
Riverside, Calif.
The ALF raided a laboratory at the University of California, Riverside, causing $700,000 in damage. About 500 animals were released.

So what happens to all these released animals?

From animalrights.net
http://www.animalrig...#036;msgnum=448
The Animal Liberation Front recently claimed responsibility for the release of about 10,000 mink valued at $400,000 from a farm in Iowa in one of the largest animal releases by the group to date. Activists struck the Earl Drewelow and Sons Mink Farm in northeast Iowa, opening pens that held about 14,000 mink.

...of those animals that did escape, hundreds were killed by passing cars on nearby highways.

"These mink are farm animals, know nothing about life off the farm and are completely dependent on the farmer," Lenny Drewelow, co-owner for the farm, told the Associated Press. "They will die in a few days without human help."

Good one, ALF!  

So how are we writing this off?  Collateral damage?  

More to the point: what did this attack do to advance their cause?  That is, to change the fact that millions of mink do die horribly on fur farms each year?  Looks like a whoe lotta nuthin to me.  

And let's suppose they DO succeed in destroying the fur industry.  (Ha ha).  Where does it end?  Will they target motorists on the highways next in an anti-roadkill campaign?

JAN. 1, 2001
Glendale, Ore.
The ELF torched the Superior Lumber Co., causing $400,00 in damage. "This year," the ELF said, "we hope to see an escalation in tactics against capitalism."

Yeah.  This is gonna end well.

Edited by _ph, 18 June 2005 - 09:53 PM.

#47 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 10:33 PM

ph--

More later, but for now--

Again, you have shown no hard evidence that PETA finances ALF/ELF.  I'm not supporting the latter two, by the way, but I certainly do question the notion that they're more dangerous than organizations with hundreds if not thousands of proven murders already to their "credit."

OCT. 1999
Various cities
An ALF faction known as the Justice Department took credit for sending over 80 razor blade-laced envelopes, each containing a threatening letter with a picture of a bomb on it, to animal researchers, hunting guides and others in the United States and Canada. An ALF communiqué said some of the razor blades, which were positioned so as to slice open the fingers of anyone opening the envelopes, were coated in rat poison.

AKA, attempted mass-murder.

Now, the razor-blade bit is nasty.  But the rat poison seems likely to to be scare tactics if not a hoax.  The active ingredients in rat poisons are coumadin (warfarin) and vitamin D analogs, both of which are used therapeutically in human medicine.  I seriously, seriously, doubt a lethal dose could be adhered to the edge of a razor blade or delivered by such a method.

From animalrights.net
http://www.animalrig...#036;msgnum=448
The Animal Liberation Front recently claimed responsibility for the release of about 10,000 mink valued at $400,000 from a farm in Iowa in one of the largest animal releases by the group to date. Activists struck the Earl Drewelow and Sons Mink Farm in northeast Iowa, opening pens that held about 14,000 mink.

...of those animals that did escape, hundreds were killed by passing cars on nearby highways.

"These mink are farm animals, know nothing about life off the farm and are completely dependent on the farmer," Lenny Drewelow, co-owner for the farm, told the Associated Press. "They will die in a few days without human help."

Naive and poorly thought out, obviously.  But the farmer's saccharine "concern"  would gag a maggot--the minks that eluded re-capture or the road are likely to have done fine in the wild, given that weasels are very hard-wired predators.  Probably played hell with the local bird and small rodent populations, though.  

You might, by the way, be interested to know that there are projects underway in some areas frequented by endangered species to reduce roadkills. And ALF/ELF has nothing to do with them.
Posted Image

#48 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 11:05 PM

waterpanther, on Jun 18 2005, 10:33 PM, said:

ph--

More later, but for now--

Again, you have shown no hard evidence that PETA finances ALF/ELF. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What do you mean...Did you not read this part of the post:

PETA Under Attack for Funding Alleged Eco-Terrorists
By Jason Pierce
CNSNews.com Staff Writer
March 08, 2002

Washington (CNSNews.com) - As concerns about eco-terrorism mount on Capitol Hill, there is more finger-pointing aimed at People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), which admits to having provided financial support to a group allegedly connected to the terrorism.

But while PETA acknowledges that some of its money has in the past gone to the Earth Liberation Front (ELF), and to the legal defense funds for several Animal Liberation Front (ALF) members, the organization denies that any of its money "goes toward illegal activities."

You said I had a closed mind, and maybe I do. But it sounds like you have a closed mind on the subject also. PETA, according to CNCNews.com admitted to financing these groups.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#49 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 11:09 PM

PETA admits to having provided financial support to a group allegedly connected to the terrorism.

Note bolded parts.
Posted Image

#50 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 12:24 AM

PETA admits to having provided financial support to a group allegedly connected to the terrorism.

waterpanther: Note bolded parts.

So they admit they fund the organization, they admit they create LEGAL DEFENSE FUNDS for ALF-members, but we're supposed to believe they're not encouraging and supporting criminality?  Penn & Teller have a word for that.

There's nothing "alleged" about ALF's (and thus, PETA's) connection to terrorism -- ALF itself has claimed responsibility for BOMBING BUILDINGS.  QED.

Edited by _ph, 19 June 2005 - 12:46 AM.

#51 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 12:37 AM

Dev F, on Jun 18 2005, 07:44 PM, said:

waterpanther, on Jun 18 2005, 12:45 PM, said:

As I said, they challenge beliefs many people take for granted.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But to be fair, there are also those who reject PETA's arguments not because they take an opposing viewpoint for granted, but because they have thoughtfully considered their position and simply disagree.

Me, I see no great moral difficulty with using animals for food, crucial medical testing, etc., because I have seen no compelling scientific evidence that any animals (save perhaps some of the higher mammals) are truly self-aware, and I don't think you can commit moral wrong against a creature that isn't even aware of its own existence.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Define Self Aware.

#52 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 12:45 AM

A quote from Ronnie Lee, self-described anarchist and co-founder of ALF.

"Animal liberation is a fierce struggle that demands total commitment. There will be injuries and possibly deaths on both sides. That is sad but certain."

Another quote:  

http://www.adl.org/l...orism_print.asp

Before it established a press office in the U.S., ALF activities were frequently publicized by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), a Norfolk, Virginia-based animal rights organization whose controversial advertisement campaigns have generated substantial publicity since the group's founding in 1980. PETA has openly supported ALF: in 1995, the organization gave $45,200 to the legal defense of Rod Coronado, while co-founder Ingrid Newkirk applauds ALF's efforts in two of her books. 

Edited by _ph, 19 June 2005 - 12:56 AM.

#53 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 12:48 AM

HubcapDave, on Jun 18 2005, 09:44 PM, said:

Hey, that was simply the site I found an image of that disgusting flyer PETA was handing out to kids, I don't care one way or another who they are.

And, no, I am not kidding. PETA wanted to show that terrible drawing to children without allowing a parent's censure of the material (which is a parent's right) for no other reason than to upset children. To me, that is a form of terrorism.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Currently, showing offensive pictures to people is considered torture.

#54 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 12:57 AM

waterpanther, on Jun 18 2005, 09:56 PM, said:

And where does it say that they target mainly kids?  Do kids vote?  Write checks?  Somehow I doubt it.
Children may not vote or write checks, however, they do have a major influence in the grocery store and what winds up on the dining table.

#55 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 02:36 AM

waterpanther, on Jun 18 2005, 11:09 PM, said:

Note bolded parts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sorry but there is nothing alledged when the company in question has claimed responsibility for bombings, ect. Kind of hard to say they alledgedly did it when they are the first ones to claim responsibility for it.

For the sake of argument let's say PETA told ELF and ALF that their money was NOT to be used for bombings, ect. And let's say those two groups agreed. Even if those groups don't use one dime of PETA's money to bomb a place, PETA is still aiding them...if they use PETA's money to run day to day operations, then that's less of their own money they have to spend...which means they can use their own money, which would've gone to day to day operations, to bomb, or burn a building...So indirectly PETA IS contributing.

#56 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 09:33 AM

Really?  You mean Mr. Falwell and Mr. Dobson and Mr. Terry can charge Playboy with torture?  I can charge the very bad artist who hangs her pictures on her office wall with torturing me?  Whooopeee!  Off to a lawyer I go!
Posted Image

#57 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 09:43 AM

LoTS, that's not how these "organizations" work.  I don't know how much you know about the Weathermen and other violent organizations of the 60's, but they were actual organizations with a centralized leadership.  Neither ELF nor ALF works like that.  Anyone can perform an "action"--say I want to firebomb a bulldozer that's about to channelize a natural creek--then claim to be ALF or ELF.  They're very dispersed, very ad hoc. There's no way to know, unless someone's caught, whether the person who's performed the action is in fact an eco-bomber, a property owner who wants to cash in the insurance, or even a provacateur.  That being the case, there's really no way to contribute funds to anyone but specific defendants, which is what PETA has done. Now, since you seem to believe that someone's guilty upon accusation, that means, to you, that they're supporting terrorism.  I'd rather wait on the jury.
Posted Image

#58 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 10:09 AM

hi waterpanther,

waterpanther, on Jun 18 2005, 02:26 PM, said:

How about Sunday schools that instill fear of going to hell in kids?  Are they terrorists, too?

~.~ imo, yes, they are, which is why my son never went to church.

How about parents that threaten physical punishment?  Are they terrorists, too?

~.~ No. In the animal kingdom, parents physically punish their young. You will note, I did not say abuse, I said punish. This comes in the form of threats and actual physical contact. This is done to keep the young alive, it is done to teach order, the human animal needs to do the same thing. Again, note, I did not say abuse, there is a difference.

LoTS (I think?):

Whose members target children, mainly.

waterpanther:

Flatly untrue.  Post proof or retract, please.

~.~ Does it really matter if they 'target' children? Is it not bad enough that it has been done? If your child was shown pictures of this nature, would you approve? My son was in pre-school when PETA showed up at several schools and pulled this crap. I spoke to my son's teacher and told her I was to be called if they showed up at our school. As I told her back then: "I guarantee you, no one ...ever... shows my son graphic s--- like that and no one ...ever...tells my son I am an animal killer and gets away with it."

waterpanther, on Jun 18 2005, 10:11 AM, said:

To a certain point, that's true.  But it's usually "extremists" that get a movement going.  Betty Frieden, Susan Brownmiller and Germaine Greer were all "extremists" at the beginning of the women's movement, but Hillary Clinton wouldn't be a prospective Presidential candidate today without them.  The gay civil rights movement began with an act of violence, the Stonewall Rebellion.  For that matter, it was "extremists" who tossed the tea into Boston Harbor one dark night.

~.~ There is no doubt that extremists do get something done when it needs to be done, but you know as well as anyone that there are good and bad effects in extremism. The examples you give are good, the people showing graphic s--- to some child, are bad, ...any... ...way... you look at them.

waterpanther:

That said, it's not really useful to label all members of a movement extremists because some are.

~.~ Very true. I do hope those that are not extremists, distance themselves, do not give aid to the extremists and do not defend their actions in anyway.
If PETA is involved with ALF and ELF, I will admit my opinion of them sunk even lower.

waterpanter:

PETA is easier to label "extremist" because it questions beliefs a lot of people simply take for granted, and the first response to that kind of challenge is usually defensiveness.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

~.~ The same defensiveness that you are feeling right now, correct?
You take your belief for granted, but this does not mean you speak for everyone, nor should you. Same as they cannot speak for everyone and should not.
You have the right to not eat meat, I have the right to eat it, does this mean I am guilty of being cruel to animals? If so, then I will try to remember this the next time I am aiding a neighbor in doctoring an animal or doctoring one of my own.
btw, I was once verbally attacked by someone, who as far as I know, was and still is, a member of PETA, for having my colts gelded. Why? Because she said it was not a natural thing to do, so it was cruel. So much for spaying and neutering your pets.

waterpanther:

But PETA does not deal primarily with "the natural world" as you're using the phrase.  They deal with animal/human interaction, which is frequently far from natural.  In fact, the lack of naturalness in most such interactions is one of their most strongly argued points.

~.~ Then, we can no longer aid animals and fowl inside of our cities, as that could be considered animal/human interaction. So, Pale Male and Nola would not be protected and allowed to nest where they chose.
I realize this is not what you mean, but you need to look at what is being said and how far extremism can go. PETA is not going to help animals/fowl if they keep going the way they are going. In fact, they are going to harm efforts to save endangered species, because many times it takes a human involvement to save those species, sometimes even a hands on involvement.
From what I have read, PETA is involved with ALF and ELF by giving money, as long as they aid them and as long as they do not denounce and stand against the terrorist acts, they are involved and approving. Before you tell me they do not give to the attacks, let me point out that if you give aid to a terrorist, you are helping them to continue to terrorize. Therefore, you are involved in the acts. If you buy clothes made by children, you are involved in contuing the cruelty. etc...
PETA has it's good side, defend that, but do not defend the bad.
One more note, it has been discovered that plants also feel. So, because we are a 'thinking' animal, this means we must die in order to prevent infliction of pain on any other being. When we go, all that will be left will be animals/fowl/plants/fish/etc... feeding on each other, which is how this world was designed... including the human animal.

Sorry this post got as long as it did. ~blush~
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#59 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 12:15 PM

waterpanther, on Jun 19 2005, 02:33 PM, said:

Really?  You mean Mr. Falwell and Mr. Dobson and Mr. Terry can charge Playboy with torture?  I can charge the very bad artist who hangs her pictures on her office wall with torturing me?  Whooopeee!  Off to a lawyer I go!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In the threads "Taliban Chief: Bin Laden Alive and Well" and "Time Reports Gitmo Torture Techniques," torture is discussed.  A method of torture being used on the prisoners at Guatanomo is pictures of scantily clad women being placed around a detainee's neck.  If forcing offensive pictures on the detainees is torture, then it is also torture to force these children and their parents to view intentionally offensive materials such as the fake KFC bucket filled with blood, pictures of dead chickens, and such.

#60 Raina

Raina

Cpt. Raina 'Starlee'

• Validation Team
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 01:15 PM

In fact, they are going to harm efforts to save endangered species, because many times it takes a human involvement to save those species, sometimes even a hands on involvement.
But a lot of species are endangered because of humans.

Now granted, species have been going extinct since the beginning of the world, but I think that it's gotten to the point where humans have stepped way beyond nature's boundaries and we'll soon see a mass extinction on the scale of what killed the dinosaurs.

I'm not condoning PETA's actions, but I do agree with a lot of the ideas behind them. Unfortunately, those ideals don't work in today's world.

Edited by Raina, 19 June 2005 - 01:16 PM.

"First thing they tell you is to assume you're already dead... dead men don't get scared or freeze up under fire. Me, I'm just worried that hell's gonna be a lonely place. And I'm gonna fill it up with every toaster son of a bitch I find." -Racetrack

"I believe what goes around comes around and if I am the instrument of 'coming round' then I'll do it happily. " -Shal

Viper Squadron CAG
Roman Warrior
Browncoat

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PETA, Animal Curelty

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users