No replies to this topic

#1 Smitty

Smitty

"If I knew what was going on I'd really be indignant.&q

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 09:43 AM

http://www.historychannel.com/tdih/

1917 Vladimir Lenin, leader of the revolutionary Bolshevik Party, returns to Petrograd after a decade of exile to take the reins of the Russian Revolution. One month before, Czar Nicholas II had been forced from power when Russian army troops joined a workers' revolt in Petrograd, the Russian capital.

1943 Hallucinogenic effects of LSD discovered.

1947 At 9:12 a.m. in Texas City's port on Galveston Bay, a fire aboard the French freighter Grandcamp ignites ammonium nitrate and other explosive materials in the ship's hold, causing a massive blast that destroys much of the city and takes nearly 600 lives.

1972 Apollo 16 departs for moon.

Birthdays:

1867 - Wilbur Wright (aviator: one of the Wright Brothers)

1889 - Sir Charlie Chaplin (comedy actor: "Little Tramp": The Gold Rush, City Lights, Modern Times, The Great Dictator, Limelight)

1913 - Les Tremayne (Henning) (actor: The War of the Worlds, Francis Goes to West Point, The Slime People, I Love Melvin)

1914 - John Hodiak (actor: The Miniver Story, Conquest of Cochise)

1920 - Barry Nelson (Nielsen) (actor: Airport, The Shining, Pete 'n' Tillie, The Human Comedy, Island Claw, Shadow of the Thin Man)

1921 - Peter Ustinov (Academy Award-winning actor: Spartacus [1960], Topkapi [1964], Quo Vadis, Death on the Nile, Beau Brummel)

1922 - Kingsley Amis (novelist: The Crime of the Century, Lucky Jim)

1923 - Bennie Green (trombonist, lyricist: The Diamond and the Goose; journalist)

1924 - Henry Mancini (Oscar-winning composer, musician: Moon River, Days of Wine and Roses, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Victor/Victoria; composed themes for The Pink Panther, Mr. Lucky, Peter Gunn, Charade, NBC Mystery Movie, NBC Nightly News, Love Theme from Romeo & Juliet; 20 Grammy Awards)

1929 - Edie Adams (Enke) (actress: The Apartment, The Oscar, Love with the Proper Stranger, The Ernie Kovacs Show; spokesperson for Muriel Cigars: "Hey big spender, spend a little time with me.")

1929 - Roy Hamilton (singer: You'll Never Walk Alone, If I Loved You, Ebb Tide, Unchained Melody, Don't Let Go, You Can Have Her)

1930 - Herbie Mann (Soloman) (jazz musician, flautist: Hijack, Superman, Comin' Home Baby, Bang! Bang!, Violets Don't be Blue)

1933 - Ike Pappas (newsman: CBS News)

1935 - Bobby Vinton (Stanley Vintulla) (singer: Roses are Red (My Love), Blue on Blue, Blue Velvet, Mr. Lonely, There! I've Said It Again, My Melody of Love)

1939 - Dusty Springfield (Mary O'Brien) (singer: Wishin' and Hopin', You Don't Have to Say You Love Me, The Look of Love, Son-of-a-Preacher Man, The Windmills of Your Mind, A Brand New Me; group: The Springfields: Silver Threads and Golden Needles)

1942 - Jim Lonborg (baseball: Cy Young Award winner: Boston Red Sox [1967]; Philadelphia Phillies pitcher)

1947 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Lew Alcindor) (basketball: LA Lakers, Milwaukee Bucks: NBA career record: games played [1.560], points [38,387], field goals [15,387], blocked shots [3,189] cameo role: Airplane!)

1950 - John Hill (football)

1952 - Bob McCaffrey (football)

1955 - Ellen Barkin (actress: Diner, Tender Mercies, Wild Bill, Bad Company, Daniel, Sea of Love, Eddie and the Cruisers)

1963 - Jimmy Osmond (singer: group: The Osmonds: the youngest Osmond)

-cs

Edited by Smitty, 16 April 2003 - 09:44 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users