Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

So what is happening with the US Mad cow?

Public Health Mad Cow disease 2005

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 White Tiger

White Tiger

God, The Universe and everything...

• Islander
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:12 PM

I remeber when the Mad cow from alberta was discovered. It was on Cnn, The National, NBC news and other sources for MONTHS.
Where is the same influx of news reports on this newest out break?
Hatred ever kills, love never dies such is the vast difference between the two. What is obtained by love is retained for all time. What is obtained by hatred proves a burden in reality for it increases hatred.
M.Ghandi.
And the ONE MILLIONTH POSTER ON EXISLE!

#2 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:55 PM

All I have heard on the news is that there has been one reported incedent, and another that was recorded earlier in the year, but not reported publicly.
Can't Touch This!!

#3 White Tiger

White Tiger

• Islander
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 05:03 PM

Should all US beef export be shut down? I mean you guys had a mad cow...Canadian beef export was alomost eliminated due to our incident.
Should the same happen an American case?
Hatred ever kills, love never dies such is the vast difference between the two. What is obtained by love is retained for all time. What is obtained by hatred proves a burden in reality for it increases hatred.
M.Ghandi.

#4 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 06:16 PM

Do a Yahoo search of "mad cow" & "Texas".
There are a ton of reports out there.
The Japanese say they will continue talking with the US to lift the ban on US beef imported to Japan.  That ban was put in place after the 1st mad cow was discovered - the one imported from Canada.  This 2nd mad cow is apparently US born before the 1997 ruminate feed ban.
Taiwan has imposed a ban on US beef in effect now.
This second cow never made it into the food chain because of the safeties put in place.
I'm having steak grilled out on the barbecue Monday.

#5 White Tiger

White Tiger

• Islander
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:09 PM

However there seems to be no open reporting on this on CNN or any other news systems the US has.
I find it odd.
M.Ghandi.

#6 Corwin

Corwin

fortitudo ac honor

• Islander
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:50 PM

#1   This cow that was found with so called "mad cow disease" (I'm not even going to look up the actual disease name right now) was never meant for human comsumption and did not in any way come remotely close to being used for such purpose.

#2   This a a naturally occuring disease.  It happens.  Out of all the millions of cows in this country, we have had 2 reported and confirmed cases, one of which never came close to the food supply chain.  

#3   I'll be happy to take those odds any day.... Make my burger rare.... :)

Corwin
"The Enemy is upon us, so Lock and Load, Brothers.  The Emperor Calls and the Forces of Chaos must be driven back.  Though all of us will fall, none of us shall fail!"

#7 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:55 PM

LOL yes the black angus chuck patties are on the grill now.

People are making far too much of this.

Prions happen naturally, in every liveing organism there is a chance of prions happening.  In a cattle population the size of the United States,  we have a whole whopping 2!

The cow's carcass never got any where near the 'for consumption' sector. So, shrug, why worry about it?
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#8 Gabrielles Army

Gabrielles Army
  • Islander
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:55 PM

Well they can`t blame this one on Canada.

#9 Gabrielles Army

Gabrielles Army
  • Islander
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:03 PM

Corwin, on Jun 30 2005, 06:50 PM, said:

#1   This cow that was found with so called "mad cow disease" (I'm not even going to look up the actual disease name right now) was never meant for human comsumption and did not in any way come remotely close to being used for such purpose.

#2   This a a naturally occuring disease.  It happens.  Out of all the millions of cows in this country, we have had 2 reported and confirmed cases, one of which never came close to the food supply chain. 

#3   I'll be happy to take those odds any day.... Make my burger rare.... :)

Corwin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It`s known as BSE (bovine spongiform encephalopathy)

And one of the leading causes I believe was from the practice of mixing animal feed with the ground up remains of other animals including brains. So it`s not entirely a natural occuring disease.

And those two cases were only the ones that recieved full testing, there`s been rumors that for years ranchers practiced the 3 S, shoot, shovel, and shut up when there was suspicion of the animal having BSE.

#10 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:17 PM

Never claimed it was, like the disease Fore, BSE does occur in animals that have ben fed the remains of other animals ( the brains / and are contaminated parts )

3s has happened for years, yes but that does not bring the carcas into the human food chain. BSE is not transmitted by simply being around a victim of BSE, so burying or burning the carcasses of downer cattle is not going to infect the rest of the herd. And there are many other diseases, and conditions,  that present like BSE, thats why the extensive testing
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#11 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:30 PM

I think Tom Cruise is currently using up all the media oxygen.  We can't know about things that are vital to our health and economy until we know every detail of Tom Cruise's latest antics... for without knowledge of Tom Cruise's life, our own would be but an empty, meaningless existence.   Or so the media seems to think... :p

Until martial law is declared, I'm continuing to eat dead cows whenever I can.  (Unless, of course, Tom Cruise tells us not to!)

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#12 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:38 PM

Corwin, on Jun 30 2005, 08:50 PM, said:

#3   I'll be happy to take those odds any day.... Make my burger rare.... :)
Doesn't matter with BSE...  You can eat the meat well done or raw because the prions don't break down with normal cooking.  That is why it is so important to keep these cows out of the food supply.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#13 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 11:55 PM

Don't watch TV much these days so I don't know what is or isn't on the TV news.  I hear the radio news in the morning and at lunch and have heard the reports.  I also scan the headlines for news of interest to my bosses and have seen the reports.  Maybe it is because I live in Texas and this cow is from Texas.

#14 Gefiltefishmon

Gefiltefishmon

Oolong Caluphids Private Secretary

• Islander
  • 789 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 01:33 AM

CJ AEGIS, on Jun 30 2005, 09:38 PM, said:

Corwin, on Jun 30 2005, 08:50 PM, said:

#3   I'll be happy to take those odds any day.... Make my burger rare.... :)
Doesn't matter with BSE...  You can eat the meat well done or raw because the prions don't break down with normal cooking.  That is why it is so important to keep these cows out of the food supply.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And let's not forget that these prions are only present in central nervous tissue (brain, spinal column) and it's only through exposure to these parts of the animal that the Prions can propagate....

I know it's not funny, but..... Prion propagation :hehe:
"To know that you do not know is the best. To act from the pretense that you know when you do not know is a disease" - Lao Tzu

"From All, One; and From One, All" - Heraclitus

"Let me be clear: however the world's goblet turns there will always be those drunk on the wine of the Self" - Ghalib

"A 'politically savvy challenge to evolution' is as self-evidently ridiculous as an agriculturally savvy challenge to euclidean geometry would be." - Charles Pierce

#15 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 03:12 AM

aaargh!. bad GFM, bad!

And yes I know CJ about cooking and prions. And if your meat is butchered properly you don't have to worry either like GFM said - CNS only.

and the Black Angus tonight was just melt in your mouth delicious.

Beef, it's whats for dinner.

Posted Image

#16 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:55 AM

From the articles I've read, it's a wonder we caught ANY of the mad cow.  Where other countries test 1 in 4 (on average - more in some countries, less in others) cows for BSE, we test something like 1 in 1000

here was a link that I found, but as I recall I learned a lot of this info in classes at college or in the NY Times, which I need to registar for if I'm going to get articles from it.

Also, I question the method we use to test animals in the first place.  We should switch over to Western blot as it is more reliable.  While we don't feed ruminant parts to cows anymore, they are still in chicken and pig feed.  It hardly seems impossible for someone to accidently give pig feed to their cows - besides, for all we know we'll have cases of mad pig in the coming years.  BSE was a mutant of a sheep disease and we know that BSE can infect humans, so it doesn't seem to be a huge leap that in the future we will have to worry about our pork as well.

Also, considering research like this , which suggests that prions play a role in Alzhiemers, maybe we should be paying more attention to our food supply.  Related to us paying attention to our food supply, here is research suggesting that prions are caused by metal microcrystals which cause the protiens to misfold (which may explain why prions are able to re-nature themselves while other protiens are destroyed)

There's lots of good research on the suject - just go to Pubmed
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#17 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 07:59 AM

I've read/heard about it quite a bit, but that is most likely due to the fact that I listen to farm reports daily.
It was a 12 yr. old cow from a Texas herd, never left the property and was born before the ban on cow parts in feed. The FDA will trace the feed history of the animals born on the ranch around the same time as the cow, including animals no longer on the ranch.
Investigators will also examine compliance records for plants that may have processed meat and bone meal from relatives or herd mates of the sick animal.
Any animal related will be killed and tested. None of those "animals of interest" have been found, yet.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#18 mjtian

mjtian
  • Islander
  • 897 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 10:50 AM

I personally have mixed feelings about this.  I love BEEF.  I can't help it, to me there is nothing better that a nice broiled steak from a fine restaurant.  My Favorite Restaurant  However, knowing what I know, it can be a little frightening at times.  The issue here is an infectious agent known as Prions.  Here is a nice site US FDA on the issue.  It is a protein that is found in animal's brain tissue.  The problem, according to one of my professors in med school, is on how the cows are slaughtered.  Do we honestly believe with 100% confidence that none of the cow's brain matter (Brain, Spinal Cord) gets in our food supply?  I guess the more likely source may be the spinal cord.  The thought is that, the little proteins may get into our food supply via ground beef.  The scary part is that the people are showing symptoms today were affected with this diasease many years ago.  It takes this protein 20-30 years to elicit its effects and there is no cure at the moment.

Edited by mjtian, 02 July 2005 - 10:51 AM.

"I have missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game winning shot... and missed. And I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why... I succeed" -Michael Jordan

#19 Chakotay

Chakotay

For gosh sakes let me out of here!

• Islander
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 11:18 AM

After the mayhem that happened when the UK went public about BSE, I'm not surprised that the US is keeping very quiet about it. There's too much money involved to let the beef market crash, even for health reasons. The Atkins diet would be in jeopardy for a start. :D
  No plan survives first contact with the enemy - military axiom.

#20 mjtian

mjtian
  • Islander
  • 897 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 11:41 AM

Chakotay, on Jul 2 2005, 11:18 AM, said:

After the mayhem that happened when the UK went public about BSE, I'm not surprised that the US is keeping very quiet about it. There's too much money involved to let the beef market crash, even for health reasons. The Atkins diet would be in jeopardy for a start. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well put Chakotay!  Remember when the diva of talk shows, Oprah wanted to bring up this issue and how quickly she was muted?  The supposed most powerful women in entertainment that has a net worth of hundreds of millions of dollars can't even withstand the cattle industry.  What can I say?  Money = Power.  I guess Oprah didn't have enough dough to put up the fight.

Edited by mjtian, 02 July 2005 - 11:42 AM.

"I have missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game winning shot... and missed. And I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why... I succeed" -Michael Jordan

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Public Health, Mad Cow disease, 2005

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users