Culture US Insular US Travel

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#101 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 09:35 PM

You know that's a pretty interesting Theory Delvo.

I like it. :alien:

And...well, I've often said that if I went to Europe, like France, I wouldn't necessarily want to go to Paris-I'd love to see the countryside...Normandy or St. Tropez.

In Italy I'd love to see the countryside around Florence or even Naples.

Now I will admit I would love to see Rome and all that is there and I'd probably love shopping in Paris but...

Yea...the countryside.

Edited by Hibblette, 14 July 2005 - 09:35 PM.

"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#102 gadfly

gadfly

Romantic Progressive

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 09:47 PM

I don't know though. Number one I happen to think the people out there going more then 70 mph need to get a couple of traffic tickets. They're putting themselves and everyone else out there on the road at an unacceptable risk.

I suppose I might warn you, then, that driving 70mph on I35 and 75 here in the Dallas area might get you tailgated because it's a bit slow during non-peak hours?  :look:     It must be those long distance we drive on a daily basis.   I'd say about half the interstate travelers on 35 travel at speeds of 70 to 80 mph while about 40% travel between 55 and 70.  The remaining 5% are traveling in excess of 80 and sometimes even 100 mph.  Of course, on 635, a main sort of loop around the city, the socialites might slow down to 60/65 while driving their Jags to brush their, put on their mascara, or talk on their cell phones.  :rolleyes:

All bets are off during peak hours.   You'd be lucky to pass 30 then.

#103 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 09:55 PM

Tailgaiting is the official motor sport of Nashville.....

Themis
Cats will never be extinct!

#104 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 09:58 PM

ha, ha, ha ... a 100 mile trip.  That's an afternoon drive out for dinner then back home.

I go to Austin, TX a couple of times a year - that's an approx 350-mile round trip plus driving around town.

I go to Tulsa, OK about once a year - that's approx 500 miles round trip plus driving around town.

Then, I try to get away to some destination in Texas once or twice or year.  It has to be someplace that takes long enough to drive to that I need a hotel.  Otherwise, it is just a day trip.

#105 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 10:03 PM

gadfly, on Jul 15 2005, 02:47 AM, said:

I suppose I might warn you, then, that driving 70mph on I35 and 75 here in the Dallas area might get you tailgated because it's a bit slow during non-peak hours?  :look:     It must be those long distance we drive on a daily basis.   I'd say about half the interstate travelers on 35 travel at speeds of 70 to 80 mph while about 40% travel between 55 and 70.  The remaining 5% are traveling in excess of 80 and sometimes even 100 mph.  Of course, on 635, a main sort of loop around the city, the socialites might slow down to 60/65 while driving their Jags to brush their, put on their mascara, or talk on their cell phones.  :rolleyes:

All bets are off during peak hours.   You'd be lucky to pass 30 then.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do not miss those commutes to Dallas every day to go to work.  I'm from the old days where I never trust my brakes completely and try to leave at least a car length, more likely two, between me and the car in front of me.  Never fails somebody going a 100 zips in that little gap then has to stop.  One morning on the way in to work, a guy zipped into that space then stomped on his brakes.  I managed to get to the shoulder.  The car traveling behind me on my bumper rammed into zipper man and the car in front of him.  That was scary.  Not near as much fun as driving to Dallas when I-30 was frozen over - sliding across the bridges, down the side into the ditch.  Nope.  I don't miss those commutes to Dallas!

#106 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 10:10 PM

eloisel, on Jul 15 2005, 02:58 AM, said:

It has to be someplace that takes long enough to drive to that I need a hotel.  Otherwise, it is just a day trip.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My tolerance for driving is about 4 1/2 hrs.  But that's around 300 miles!  Which could take me to several other states.  Like someone said, getting to another state here is like getting to another country in continental Europe.  (And our states all have their own driver's licenses, some driving laws, etc. etc.   What a lot of folks don't understand, and I personally think is silly these days, is that this country is a republic - literally a union of states.  There are a LOT of laws that aren't national.  Most banks aren't national either.  It's changing, but if your checking account is in Tennessee, don't try writing a check in California.  Except we now have Bank of America in both states so that may have changed... Yes, you can drive in other states with your state's license...but if you MOVE to a state, you eventually are supposed to get that state's license. )

In four hours I can be in the Great Smokey Mountains and the Blue Ridge Parkway.  In two I can be at Mammoth Caves in Kentucky; in a little more I can be in blue grass country.  In one very long day or two slightly shorter, I can be at the seaside in Georgia or Florida.  But with my lack of tolerance for sitting in a car in the driver's seat, a lot of these are 2 days + a motel trips...

Themis
Cats will never be extinct!

#107 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 10:21 PM

If I head south or west, I can drive pretty fast for 4 hours and still be in Texas!

#108 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 10:47 PM

Cardie, on Jul 14 2005, 09:32 PM, said:

I was figuring a 500-mile trip on the interstate, not country roads.  I drove from Columbia to Nashville last year, a distance of 470 miles, packed lunch in my car and only stopped four times.  I made it in 8 hours (until I got lost upon reaching Nashville in trying to find my hotel.)

Cardie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Making an east to west trip in northern New England... Interstate? What is this thing called Interstate?
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Culture, US, Insular US, Travel

0 user(s) are browsing this forum