Posted 06 July 2005 - 11:34 PM

that takes some skill...

#3 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 10:24 PM

Well, it is one of the things I like about Bush.  Sometimes he acts so thoroughly decently.

Like when the Dixie Chicks made their infamous remarks.  When the President was asked what he thought about what they had said and the public reaction to their comments, he didn't slam the Dixie Chicks.  He said something rather brief and to the effect that the Dixie Chicks have their freedom to speak their mind and the American public have their rights to speak their mind too.

Then in this little bike accident, he didn't get his panties all in a wad about colliding with this policeman.  I have to wonder with all the security the President has why this happened, but Bush treated it like a normal accident instead of an internationally political incident with all kinds of undertones and allegations.

I won't even get into how he comforted people directly affected by the 9/11 situation.  Those stories make me cry.

While I don't always agree with President Bush, that man, in my opinion, has some broad shoulders and a lot of internal strength.

Edited to correct a tense because sharp Enkanowen would think it a Freudian slip!

Edited by eloisel, 07 July 2005 - 10:26 PM.

#4 Enkanowen

Enkanowen
  • Islander
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 10:26 PM

and he is a war mongering dictator but hey, that's how they get support from the crowd. by not seeming all that bad. Germans loved Hitler until he turned out to be a psychopath.

#5 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 10:27 PM

Interesting.  What makes you think him a "dictator"?

#6 Enkanowen

Enkanowen
  • Islander
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 10:35 PM

he is systematically removing people's rights but makes it look like the people want it; he represents his own interests (or Cheney's really) and not that of his country; he is distracting from the bad economy by leading the country to war (unlike WWII it didn't boost the economy)....

#7 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 10:49 PM

Drunk again.
Posted Image

#8 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 10:52 PM

What rights do you think he has taken away from the American people?

#9 Enkanowen

Enkanowen
  • Islander
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 11:08 PM

well let's start with the patriot act and people's right to privacy.  then he tried to pass a bill which would limit the power of the surpreme court.... he's constantly trying to pass bills which expand the presidential power

#10 ZipperInt

ZipperInt
  • Islander
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 11:16 PM

You do know the Patriot Act has some worthwhile parts in it, right? Like allowing the various intelligence agencies to cooperate and share information? And bills that expand presidential powers - unless GB is planning on eliminating the 2-term limit for US presidents, I don't see how this will help him very much, unless he can get a whole bunch of things done in the next 3 years.

I'm not going to staunchly defend George Bush as a lover of freedom, but I think your arguments that he is a dictator who are flawed, at best.
The second greatest podcast in the history of ever:
http://geeksonaplain.blogspot.com/

#11 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 11:27 PM

eloisel, on Jul 7 2005, 07:24 PM, said:

Well, it is one of the things I like about Bush.  Sometimes he acts so thoroughly decently.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's the rest of the time that worries me.  

eloisel, on Jul 7 2005, 07:24 PM, said:

Like when the Dixie Chicks made their infamous remarks.  When the President was asked what he thought about what they had said and the public reaction to their comments, he didn't slam the Dixie Chicks.  He said something rather brief and to the effect that the Dixie Chicks have their freedom to speak their mind and the American public have their rights to speak their mind too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How nice that the President recognizes the right of his fellow citizens to point out his deficiencies.  It's the least he can do, seeing as how he took the oath to protect and defend the Constitution.  

BTW if the Dixie Chick who spoke out hadn't done so, I may never have discovered their music.  I bought one of their CDs just because some anti-Bill of Rights type was calling down a boycott, and then, when I listened to it and loved it, bought some more.  From what I understand, they gained more fans than they lost, so the only losers are the folks who stopped enjoying their music over their right to express their opinions.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#12 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 11:43 PM

I liked the Dixie Chicks music before their remarks and still do.

The Patriot Act was quickly drafted and adopted.  It will take some time to fine tune it so that it does what is intended without also doing what is not intended.  It isn't a document carved in stone that won't stand to be corrected.  In the meantime, I'm not suffering from any privacy invasion.  So far as living in a "country ruled by fear," the one thing I can say for certain is I have no fear of what my country may discover I am doing with myself.

#13 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 11:59 PM

Nonny, on Jul 7 2005, 11:27 PM, said:

BTW if the Dixie Chick who spoke out hadn't done so, I may never have discovered their music.  I bought one of their CDs just because some anti-Bill of Rights type was calling down a boycott, and then, when I listened to it and loved it, bought some more.  From what I understand, they gained more fans than they lost, so the only losers are the folks who stopped enjoying their music over their right to express their opinions. 

Nonny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Never listened to them myself...and was somewhat tempted to listen when cries of boycott arose...but then I heard what they said about Toby Kieth's song: "Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue"...and that made me decide that perhaps a boycott was a good idea afterall.

Not only did they attack his song, they attacked him as well. That tee-shirt with the F U T K showed just how little class the Dixie Chicks have. Have no desire to support a group like them.

Edited by LORD of the SWORD, 08 July 2005 - 02:09 AM.

"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#14 Pallas

Pallas

Wicked--Like the Witch of the West

• Islander
  • 833 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 12:05 AM

Okay, well before everyone gets their undies in a twist, let me just throw this in:

Hey, just like the West Wing!  :lol:

Kali.
We can do noble acts without ruling the earth and sea--Aristotle

#15 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 12:24 AM

Kalistria, on Jul 8 2005, 05:05 AM, said:

Okay, well before everyone gets their undies in a twist, let me just throw this in:

Hey, just like the West Wing!  :lol:

Kali.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not a show I watch.

#16 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 02:15 AM

This is his second accident riding a mountain bike. Perhaps he should take up another form of exercise.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#17 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 02:36 AM

Even the most experienced and fit bike rider will eventually have an accident given enough time, especially in the off-road/mountain biking area where the terrain is more complex. Considering my own failed attempts to ride a bike that have ended with me either breaking my training wheels by accident(as a young child) or nearly splattering myself across a dumpster(my attempts in early college under the tutelage of a major bike rider) I find his skill at it quite good enough. As for me, it seems something wis wrong with my sense of balance in a fundamental way as I can't seem keep my wieght distrubed well enough to stay on the bike.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#18 Smiley

Smiley

harumph

• Islander
  • 937 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 08:18 AM

Didn't he fall off a segway scooter too?
Friends are just enemies that don't have the guts to kill you.
See Ya Space Cowboy

#19 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 08:29 AM

LORD of the SWORD, on Jul 8 2005, 12:59 AM, said:

Nonny, on Jul 7 2005, 11:27 PM, said:

BTW if the Dixie Chick who spoke out hadn't done so, I may never have discovered their music.  I bought one of their CDs just because some anti-Bill of Rights type was calling down a boycott, and then, when I listened to it and loved it, bought some more.  From what I understand, they gained more fans than they lost, so the only losers are the folks who stopped enjoying their music over their right to express their opinions. 

Nonny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Never listened to them myself...and was somewhat tempted to listen when cries of boycott arose...but then I heard what they said about Toby Kieth's song: "Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue"...and that made me decide that perhaps a boycott was a good idea afterall.

Not only did they attack his song, they attacked him as well. That tee-shirt with the F U T K showed just how little class the Dixie Chicks have. Have no desire to support a group like them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have much more respect for the girls then I do someone hwo makes money off of tragdey, like Keith. The ones who travel around with him, and the Gatlin brothers.
Can't Touch This!!

#20 Sinister Dexter

Sinister Dexter

You win this time, Clerks...

• Islander
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 09:26 AM

Kalistria, on Jul 8 2005, 06:05 AM, said:

Hey, just like the West Wing!  :lol:

Kali.

That was my first thought too.

That said, Jeb Bartlet would probably be a better President.
Rommie: I just want a day where I can build missiles and tweak fire control in peace
Beka: We need to find you a hobby
Rommie: That IS my hobby

Daniel: She's Hathor, the goddess of fertility, inebriety, and music
Jack: Sex, drugs and rock & roll?

Moist Von Lipvig: Oh, all right. Of course I accept as a natural born criminal, habitual liar, fraudster and totally untrustworthy perverted genius
Lord Vetinari: Capital! Welcome to government service!

Mary Raven: ....your house smells weird
Dr Vukovic: It smells of SCIENCE!

Wooster: Why is it, do you think, Jeeves, that the thought of the "little thing" my Aunt Dahlia wants me to do for her fills me with a nameless foreboding?
Jeeves: Experience, sir?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GW Bush, Bike Crash, Scotland, 2005

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users