• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#21 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 09:27 AM

Kosh, on Jul 8 2005, 08:29 AM, said:

I have much more respect for the girls then I do someone hwo makes money off of tragdey, like Keith. The ones who travel around with him, and the Gatlin brothers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There I have to disagree. Toby Kieth originally didn't want to release that song. He use to only play it for the troops, when he did a show for them. It wasn't until after one of the commanders at one of the shows told him he really should release it that he did so. Of course, I heard this from Kieth himself during an interview...so there isn't much weight behind it....Naturally he'd want to make himself appear good.

Still, I'd rather support Toby Kieth, then a group of girls that take it upon themselves to critize our troops.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#22 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:04 AM

LORD of the SWORD, on Jul 7 2005, 08:59 PM, said:

Nonny, on Jul 7 2005, 11:27 PM, said:

BTW if the Dixie Chick who spoke out hadn't done so, I may never have discovered their music.  I bought one of their CDs just because some anti-Bill of Rights type was calling down a boycott, and then, when I listened to it and loved it, bought some more.  From what I understand, they gained more fans than they lost, so the only losers are the folks who stopped enjoying their music over their right to express their opinions. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Never listened to them myself...and was somewhat tempted to listen when cries of boycott arose...but then I heard what they said about Toby Kieth's song: "Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue"...and that made me decide that perhaps a boycott was a good idea afterall.

Not only did they attack his song, they attacked him as well. That tee-shirt with the F U T K showed just how little class the Dixie Chicks have. Have no desire to support a group like them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Um, didn't they attack him in response to his attack on them?  As I recall, he took the first shot, then whined like a baby when they shot back.  And he took that shot, I'm guessing, because he's not familiar with the Bill of Rights, or at least not familiar enough.  

Amazing, how in this supposedly class-free country, class is such a big deal.  I'd love to have one of those teeshirts.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#23 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:07 AM

LORD of the SWORD, on Jul 8 2005, 06:27 AM, said:

Still, I'd rather support Toby Kieth, then a group of girls that take it upon themselves to critize our troops.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

She criticized the president, not the troops.  Many of us who do not support the president would appreciate it very much if that distinction would not get lost in the Bush administration's attempt to muddy it.  The president is not the troops.  

Nonny
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#24 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:08 AM

Kosh, on Jul 8 2005, 05:29 AM, said:

I have much more respect for the girls then I do someone hwo makes money off of tragdey, like Keith. The ones who travel around with him, and the Gatlin brothers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He's the Halliburton of country and western.  :(

Nonny
Posted Image

#25 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:09 AM

The Dixie Chicks didn't criticize our troops.  Their lead singer, Natalie Maines, said to a London audience: "Just so you know, we're ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas."

I don't have a problem with Toby Keith's song either.  I grew up in an age where the singers sang songs written about current events such as student riots and the war in Vietnam.  I expect popular culture to reflect current events.

#26 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:11 AM

Nonny, on Jul 8 2005, 10:04 AM, said:

Um, didn't they attack him in response to his attack on them?  As I recall, he took the first shot, then whined like a baby when they shot back.  And he took that shot, I'm guessing, because he's not familiar with the Bill of Rights, or at least not familiar enough. 

Nonny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Honestly, I don't know who fired the first shot. I just remember hearing about the Dixie Chicks attacking him...but this was after they spoke out against our troops.

What I find most amazing is that some people seem to think that just because they have a first amendment right to speak their minds, that there shouldn't be consequences for those comments. This is reality. You have the right to say what's on your mind...but if your comments offend others, don't be surprised to feel some reprecussions.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#27 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:28 AM

eloisel, on Jul 8 2005, 07:09 AM, said:

The Dixie Chicks didn't criticize our troops.  Their lead singer, Natalie Maines, said to a London audience: "Just so you know, we're ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's how it happened as I remember it too.  

LORD of the SWORD, on Jul 8 2005, 07:11 AM, said:

Nonny, on Jul 8 2005, 10:04 AM, said:

Um, didn't they attack him in response to his attack on them?  As I recall, he took the first shot, then whined like a baby when they shot back.  And he took that shot, I'm guessing, because he's not familiar with the Bill of Rights, or at least not familiar enough. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Honestly, I don't know who fired the first shot. I just remember hearing about the Dixie Chicks attacking him...but this was after they spoke out against our troops.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They never spoke out against any troops.  One of them spoke out against the lying cheating coward who the troops have, to their great misfortune, for their commander-in-chief.  

LORD of the SWORD, on Jul 8 2005, 07:11 AM, said:

What I find most amazing is that some people seem to think that just because they have a first amendment right to speak their minds, that there shouldn't be consequences for those comments. This is reality. You have the right to say what's on your mind...but if your comments offend others, don't be surprised to feel some reprecussions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

These repercussions include a cynical attempt to end their music careers by spreading lies about the incident to make it seem as if they were criticizing anyone but the lying cheating coward one of them was criticizing.  I'm proud of them for facing up to the consequences of criticizing a powerful man with so many powerful friends ready willing and able to lie for him.  

Nonny
Posted Image

#28 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:34 AM

You know what - that is a load of made up crap.

The President didn't attack them first.  They made their comments.  When asked, he didn't slam them.  He showed far more grace than people who can't tell a truth but instead just make smart alec remarks to justify their own inability to do anything but hate.

Edited to Add:

Either show proof or retract your statements that the President had nothing better to do than seek out and attack three country and western performers who had done nothing to him but sing!  Geezus ... take the tin foil off your head and let your brain breath.

Edited by eloisel, 08 July 2005 - 10:43 AM.

#29 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:55 AM

Then in this little bike accident, he didn't get his panties all in a wad about colliding with this policeman. I have to wonder with all the security the President has why this happened, but Bush treated it like a normal accident instead of an internationally political incident with all kinds of undertones and allegations.

****** Whoa up... our Oaf-in-Chief ran into the cop, not the other way around.

Bush lost control of his bike Wednesday on a slick stretch of pavement and ran into the local officer, who was on foot, knocking him over.

Gee, how very magnanimous of him not to get his panties in a wad over an accident he caused himself!   I'm glad he's checking up on the cop, but I hardly think he's saintly for not cussing the guy out, when he's the one who caused him injury.  I know it was an accident and can happen to anybody, but crediting him for not getting his panties in a wad over it is a bit much.

Now, on to this... LOTS, you've referred to this twice:

I just remember hearing about the Dixie Chicks attacking him...but this was after they spoke out against our troops.

...and I do not recall the Dixie Chicks dissing our troops.  I think I would remember that, because I have a major problem with people doing that.  Dissing the president?  Good on ya!  Telling Toby Keith to go straight to hell?  I am absolutely with ya.  But dissing the troops?  I don't think they did that.  I'm no fan of theirs (I have contempt for country music overall), but I don't think they're guilty of that one.

As for Toby Keith... FUTK.   I want the tee-shirt, I want the tattoo, I want a billboard, and I want to hire a sky-writer if it's in the budget.  That jag-off has consistently tried to exploit the war and our troops to boost his sound-scan.  I'm all for patriotic songs, but his simpleminded "boot in the ass" dirge is an embarrassment, with its idiotic lyrics, and stuck in the middle of a bunch of a bunch of "boy do I like drunk girls!" songs.  It makes us Americans in general and Southerners in particular look like a bunch of ignorant sister-humpin' nitwits.   Plus, he's plagarized lyrics from Bob Seger, a man whose shoes he's not fit to shine, and god knows who else's he's stolen from... he's like the sh*tkicker version of P-Diddy, no more than a damn thief.  AND he's been an arrogant, unoriginal scumbag on a consistent basis.  So, the Dixie Chicks music sucks, but I'm all in favor of their choice in outerwear - better than listening to Toby write songs about his two-thousand-dollar cowboy boots, which he's welcome to shove up his own fatboy ass if he's so into that.  I'm not a country fan, but he's the only one of 'em I actually hate.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#30 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 11:49 AM

I'm not sure, but I think Nonny was referring to Toby Keith when she said "he attacked them first." That's what it looks like to me, anyway:

LoTS: Never listened to them myself...and was somewhat tempted to listen when cries of boycott arose...but then I heard what they said about Toby Kieth's song: "Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue"...and that made me decide that perhaps a boycott was a good idea afterall.

Not only did they attack his song, they attacked him as well. That tee-shirt with the F U T K showed just how little class the Dixie Chicks have. Have no desire to support a group like them.

Nonny: Um, didn't they attack him in response to his attack on them? As I recall, he took the first shot, then whined like a baby when they shot back.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#31 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 11:55 AM

Spectacles, on Jul 8 2005, 12:49 PM, said:

I'm not sure, but I think Nonny was referring to Toby Keith when she said "he attacked them first." That's what it looks like to me, anyway:

LoTS: Never listened to them myself...and was somewhat tempted to listen when cries of boycott arose...but then I heard what they said about Toby Kieth's song: "Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue"...and that made me decide that perhaps a boycott was a good idea afterall.

Nonny: Um, didn't they attack him in response to his attack on them? As I recall, he took the first shot, then whined like a baby when they shot back.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup, that's what I read too.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#32 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 12:03 PM

Just a gentle reminder to stay on thread topic please.

So Bush had a bking accident. As has been noted it happens to all bike riders sooner or later. I'm glad to see that neither party is seriously injured. Other than that...Meh.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#33 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 12:04 PM

double post , apologies

Edited by Shalamar, 08 July 2005 - 12:04 PM.

Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#34 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,595 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 12:56 PM

eloisel, on Jul 8 2005, 03:34 PM, said:

The President didn't attack them first.  They made their comments.  When asked, he didn't slam them.  He showed far more grace than people who can't tell a truth but instead just make smart alec remarks to justify their own inability to do anything but hate.

Edited to Add:

Either show proof or retract your statements that the President had nothing better to do than seek out and attack three country and western performers who had done nothing to him but sing!  Geezus ... take the tin foil off your head and let your brain breath.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you may be confusing two different comments.

The Dixie Chicks criticized the president, yes.  We are all agreed on that.  But they did not insult the troops, which is what LotS is insisting they did.

I believe the person was stating that Toby Keith then attacked them for criticizing the president.  And then they turned around and attacked Toby Keith.

As for the biking accident ... well, I think I much prefer Bush on a mountain bike than a motor bike, otherwise someone could have really been hurt.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 08 July 2005 - 12:59 PM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#35 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 03:45 PM

Shalamar, on Jul 8 2005, 12:03 PM, said:

Just a gentle reminder to stay on thread topic please.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Just have to make on quick comment though:

Zwolf666 said:

I'm all for patriotic songs, but his simpleminded "boot in the ass" dirge is an embarrassment

Couldn't disagree more. That is, IMO, one of the best lyrics of that song. I'm glad Kieth decided not to be Politically Correct with his song.

Ok...now back to the topic.

I'm just wondering where the secret service was when this happened? How did they allow Bush to get so close to someone else...even on a bike? They run alongside his limo, you think they'd be able to run along side his mountain bike.

#36 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 03:51 PM

lol LotS- the person he ran into was a policeman- one of the British security personell.

Posted Image

#37 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 04:48 PM

I'd be willing to bet there was no one else around other then security personnel for this ride. When he came out to make his statement after the London attack he walked an awful long way both to and from the podium with no security personnel in sight. I figure in order for this to happen the location must be pretty well totally secured. Of course the news personnel were all there, but you could hear all the helos overhead in the background too.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#38 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:02 PM

Shalamar, on Jul 8 2005, 03:51 PM, said:

lol LotS- the person he ran into was a policeman- one of the British security personell.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So it was his own secret service agent? I thought it was just some cop walking a beat that he rant down?

#39 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:55 PM

No not a Secret Service agent LotS, but not just a cop on the beat either most likely. It's not only the Secret Service providing security there's the Brits too and the cop was more than likely fulfilling part of that specific function.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#40 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:58 PM

eloisel, on Jul 8 2005, 07:34 AM, said:

The President didn't attack them first.  They made their comments.  When asked, he didn't slam them.  He showed far more grace than people who can't tell a truth but instead just make smart alec remarks to justify their own inability to do anything but hate.

Edited to Add:

Either show proof or retract your statements that the President had nothing better to do than seek out and attack three country and western performers who had done nothing to him but sing!  Geezus ... take the tin foil off your head and let your brain breath.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Um, what?  Toby Keith is the president now?  Dang, my tinfoil hat must be too tight.  I think I'm stuck in a bad joke, like the one where the guy comes out of a coma and the nurse tells him that Sonny Bono is a Congressman and Cher won an Oscar, and he goes back into the coma.   :ninjadeath:

Nonny
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GW Bush, Bike Crash, Scotland, 2005

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users