Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

US hawks want to punish France (hot topic!)

France US War Hawks

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 12:54 AM

France languishes in US bad books

US diplomats, however, describe attempts to take revenge on France as "majorly stupid".

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#2 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 01:00 AM

Oi freaking vay.

How very American:  punish people for disagreeing with you.

:rolleyes:
Posted Image

#3 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 01:01 AM

I agree that taking some sort of revenge on France would be just plain dumb.  So they opposed us.  Hey, I opposed us in Iraq.  Does that mean I should get punished by the government?  Extra taxes for me or something?  They are our allies, and they are allowed to disagree, even if we don't like it.  To punish them would be violating the concept of democracy.
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#4 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 01:01 AM

Gotta agree with Lil. This is probably the dumbest thing I've read in some time.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#5 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 01:06 AM

I said I was gonna stay out of some of these threads, but SERIOUSLY!

This is the most idiotic thing to come out of Washington since "Freedom Fries."

:rolleyes:
"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#6 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 01:22 AM

EDIT: I need to read more carefully.....

Edited by Javert Rovinski, 18 April 2003 - 01:24 AM.

St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#7 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 01:32 AM

FWIW, while I have my own issues with France, I strongly oppose any government effort to undermine France because of it's opposition.

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#8 jon3831

jon3831

Iolanthe's evil conservative twin

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 01:35 AM

Agreed with Rov and most of the people in here.

If I, as a private citizen, choose not to spend my money for French products, that is my choice. But for the government to do it? That's a bit far.
"The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to   preserve our freedom."
                    --General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#9 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 01:48 AM

Well France has not been an 100% honest with us about their dealings with Saddam.  

Basically this a point we will disagree on. Folks in Washington want to hold a grudge aginst the French.It will blow over but in the meantime France has the leaky roofed doghouse to sleep in. They do deserve it in my opinion.

Edited to remove :censor: from the discussion.

Edited by G1223, 18 April 2003 - 02:53 AM.

If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#10 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 01:53 AM

G1223, on Apr 17 2003, 11:32 PM, said:

Well France has not been an 100% honest with us about their dealings with Saddam. 

Basically this a point we will disagree on. Folks in Washington want to hold a grudge aginst the frogs it will blow over but in the meantime France has the leaky roofed doghouse to sleep in. They do deserve it in my opinion.
The term "frogs" in bigoted and inflammatory.

It's no better than using the N word.  

BTW it's interesting that you rely on your right to disagree on this point.

Funnily, you don't seem to think "the frogs" have the same right.

:angry:
Posted Image

#11 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 02:38 AM

G1223, on Apr 17 2003, 06:32 PM, said:

Well France has not been 100% honest with us about their dealings with Saddam.
Yeah, and I'm still waiting for Russia and the USA to do the same. "Honesty" is a relative term in diplomacy.

And call them 'frogs' again and I will report your post to a moderator.

“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  

#12 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 02:44 AM

I guess this is a kick america thread. my bad about the word it will be edited.

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#13 Neptunian

Neptunian
  • Islander
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 02:44 AM

What I don't get is why are only France, Russia and Germany singled out when it comes to negative propaganda? I mean, the majority of the world disagrees with the war and many, many countries among those have economic dealings with Iraq. I just don't get it.

#14 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 02:47 AM

G1223, on Apr 17 2003, 07:28 PM, said:

I guess this is a kick america thread.
You guess wrong.

And you were wrong. If you can't admit that using that word is wrong, then that's not my problem. It's yours.

#15 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 02:59 AM

Neptunian, on Apr 17 2003, 07:28 PM, said:

What I don't get is why are only France, Russia and Germany singled out when it comes to negative propaganda? I mean, the majority of the world disagrees with the war and many, many countries among those have economic dealings with Iraq. I just don't get it.
Russia, Germany and France all have major industrial bases, and major population bases.

Russia and France sit as permanent members of the Security Council.

France is an easy target. Always have been.

That's probably half the reason.

#16 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 03:01 AM

G1223, on Apr 18 2003, 12:28 AM, said:

I guess this is a kick america thread. my bad about the word it will be edited.
That does it.  I've had enough of this.

This is NOT a KICK AMERICA thread.  It is a thread where most people are disagreeing with a sentiment expressed by SOME Americans.

If the only way you can figure out to respond is to make bigoted and racist statements then that is your g*d damned problem.  You seem unable or unwilling to entertain the notion that one can disagree with something said by someone in charge without being engaged in KICKING AMERICA.

Well get over it.  

The only bashing of any country that has happened in this thread is your disgustingly bigotted characterization of the French as "frogs", something I'm NOT going to edit from my response to you because I want to save it for posterity the next time you want to whine about how you're being censored.

BTW, it's not censorship to tell you I find your comments offensive.

:angry:
Posted Image

#17 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 03:02 AM

BAsically the whole thread is not about why the government is being unfriendsly towards France it is a deliberate smack at the administration by folks who would prefer that Saddam had remained in power.

Dislike that I think France would back a mass killer over doing something to stop him. They did it in their own country under occupation. they did it to Algeria but that wa them being the killers. Then they backed Molosvitch(sp) in his ethnic cleansing by refusing to send either troops or aid.  

France has been a blowhard since the end of the first world war yet still demand s to be treated like it worth respect.

TANSTAAFL

#18 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 03:02 AM

^ That's it, Gordon. You've crossed the line.

#19 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 03:07 AM

G1223, on Apr 17 2003, 04:46 PM, said:

BAsically the whole thread is not about why the government is being unfriendsly towards France it is a deliberate smack at the administration by folks who would prefer that Saddam had remained in power.
*waves*.

I supported the war (actually, I should say SUPPORT, since it's not exactly over), and I'm highly critical of this effort by the US Gov't.

I've consistently been a voice of support or both Bush (in this matter), and our troops.

And I *still* oppose this effort.

It's not as simple as you make it out to be.

It never was, and it never will be.

#20 Neptunian

Neptunian
  • Islander
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 03:10 AM

G1223, on Apr 18 2003, 01:46 AM, said:

Dislike that I think France would back a mass killer over doing something to stop him. They did it in their own country under occupation. they did it to Algeria but that wa them being the killers. Then they backed Molosvitch(sp) in his ethnic cleansing by refusing to send either troops or aid. 
No one wanted Saddam to stay in power. The disagreement has more to do with the methods of eliminating him, the US motives, and whether Saddam's demise was worth the humanitarian catastrophe that would ensue.

And just FYI... Milosevic and his expansionist policy got the blessing from the US via James Baker before they started attacking countries around them. After that, the US imposed sanctions on the countries Milosevic  attacked and then proceeded to sell weapons to both sides. So don't go around blaming the French for something your own country isn't innocent of either. :angry:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: France, US War Hawks

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users