118 replies to this topic

#81 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 04:49 PM

LOL Delvo, that comment seems just plain stupid.  :wacko:

That makes absolutely no sense. The wearer has not said anything to them, has not come near them in any way other than passing by, going about minding their own business.

(IMHO)

Edited by Shalamar, 20 July 2005 - 04:52 PM.

The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#82 ZipperInt

ZipperInt
  • Islander
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 05:21 PM

Godeskian, on Jul 20 2005, 02:19 PM, said:

Delvo, on Jul 20 2005, 10:14 PM, said:

Godeskian, on Jul 20 2005, 02:00 PM, said:

I wear silly slogan T's, including the 'sin' one, because I find the catchphrases funny, nothing else.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In other words, YOU were the first one to push your beliefs (or lack thereof) on THEM.

you know what, nevermind delvo. You win, i'm a horrible monster for wearing a t-shirt with a what i thought was a funny slogan. Congrats

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think you are a horrible monster for wearing a t-shirt with a funny logo - but I do agree with Delvo that by wearing it you would be expressing a message to other people, one that they may choose to respond to with an attempt to 'save' you. I wouldn't go so far as to say you were pushing your beliefs on them, but wearing such a t-shirt would be a reason for people to approach you (I'm certainly not saying its a *good* reason, but some people might).
The second greatest podcast in the history of ever:
http://geeksonaplain.blogspot.com/

#83 ZipperInt

ZipperInt
  • Islander
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 05:22 PM

Shalamar, on Jul 20 2005, 02:49 PM, said:

LOL Delvo, that comment seems just plain stupid.  :wacko:

That makes absolutely no sense. The wearer has not said anything to them, has not come near them in any way other than passing by, going about minding their own business.

(IMHO)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aren't you sort of saying that people can, in NO way, indirectly effect people or attract their attention? I'd have to disagree.
The second greatest podcast in the history of ever:
http://geeksonaplain.blogspot.com/

#84 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 07:01 PM

Even the Jehovah's Witnesses use a half-hearted "survey" now to try and trick their way into your home before they lay down the religion.

********  :lol:   I haven't seen a Jehovah's Witness in a long time.  When I was a kid and they'd come by the house, I'd bug my mom to buy copies of The Watchtower because I wondered what was in it.  She did, and I  never could make sense out of it.   I've always been a sucker for religious literature.  One time this black man in a suit and glasses ran up to my car at a redlight and shoved a newspaper at me and said, "Would you buy a copy of this?  The money goes to stop violence in our community!"  I thought, what the heck, it's only a dollar, and stopping violence is a good cause, so I bought the thing and took it to work with me, even though I didn't know what it was.   It ended up being a copy of The Final Call - Farrakhan's rag.  What's funny is, they guys selling them in traffic looked just like Farrakhan!  Anyway, I walked into work with it, and a black guy I worked with said, "What in the hell is a white boy like you doing with this trash!?!??"   :lol:    I explained the situation to him and he went off on Farrakhan; seems he figured Farrakhan for a hate-mongering racist idiot... which I pretty much agreed with.  I went ahead and read the paper, and figured out that not only was this guy a hatemonger (made me wanna go out and buy a tee-shirt with "White  Devil" on it, just to irk 'em! :) ) but also a looneytoon.  In between articles about how it may become necessary to kill all the "white devils" were pieces about how all anyone needs to eat is one small bowl of beans a day.  Anything else is excessive and sinful.  I dunno, I guess the Farrakhan god likes scurvy or something...

My mom once sent in for a free Book of Mormon once.  Those come with a hitch, y'know - they bring it to you in person and read it to you.  My mom wasn't about to be converted, but she was interested, so she went along with it and these two guys used to drop by the house.  I met them once, and it was kind of strange... they were nice, polite, clean-cut fellas, but they insisted on being referred to as "Elder" so-and-so.  And they were both maybe 20 years old, and I was at least 7-8 years older than them, so I couldn't quite handle calling them "Elder."   Anyway, my mom was all up for discussing religion, but it turned out they wouldn't do that - they couldn't answer any questions and wouldn't debate about anything, they'd just read off what they'd memorized.   It got really tedious and my mom finally had to ask them to stop coming because it was wasting her time.   But, she didn't dislike them or anything... I mean, she'd volunteered to be prostheletyzed to, and they were polite about it.  I think they were heartbroken when they had to take my mom off the list, because they said she was the only person they visited who fed them.  They pretty much got a free dinner every time they showed up. :)

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#85 Rhiannonjk

Rhiannonjk

Woof!

• Islander
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 09:11 PM

ZipperInt, on Jul 20 2005, 06:21 PM, said:

I don't think you are a horrible monster for wearing a t-shirt with a funny logo - but I do agree with Delvo that by wearing it you would be expressing a message to other people, one that they may choose to respond to with an attempt to 'save' you. I wouldn't go so far as to say you were pushing your beliefs on them, but wearing such a t-shirt would be a reason for people to approach you (I'm certainly not saying its a *good* reason, but some people might).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

which is pretty much what I tried to say - short of wearing a shirt that says "please don't try to save my soul" the most a person can do to keep people from trying to save their soul is not to wear shirts saying they are a sinner!  

Though I in no way agree with Delvo that wearign the shirt in question is pushing your beliefs on people.  

I dunno, I guess the Farrakhan god likes scurvy or something...
OMG.  I am laughing so hard right now.  it's the scurvy-god, argh!   Would that make lemons of-the-devil?  :devil:  Evil, evil lemons  :angry:

My book of mormon came free of attached strings, and I'm still very close friends with the person that sent it to me (I was friends with her way before I got the book).  She has been very nice about answering any questions I have had, and sticking to her beliefs while I try desperately to corrupt her.  
Unlike this mormon that came to a party at my house once, proceeded to mix the best drinks, and make out with his boyfriend on my lawn...

***Is easily distracted***

#86 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 10:06 PM

I chased after a Mormon girl through most of my high school years. But it didn't have anything to do with religion, she was just hot. ;) She and her friends weren't exactly observant in the faith, though. They invited me to this party for young Mormons once that was supposed to a ritual of some kind (I forget the name), and because I was obsessed with her I put aside my fear of conversion and went - but instead of rituals it was full of drinking and loud rock music! I was scandalized! :eek:  ;) Actually, it was a lot of fun.

#87 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 10:40 PM

Delvo, on Jul 20 2005, 03:31 AM, said:

Those of you with these lists of times you've been "accosted" over religion are seriously beginning to make me wonder what else you're not telling that would explain how in the world you've kept managing to get it to happen to you... no such thing has ever happened to me or anyone else I've ever heard from in any of the places I've been.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm guessing you don't spend a lot of time at a VA hospital associated with a medical school run by a Christian university.  I do.  In fact I'll be there tomorrow for an appointment and group.  With any luck, I won't have to lay eyeballs on one of the many members of that particular chuch who have gotten their promotions to jobs they can't quite manage due to their membership in said church, or due to providing sexual services to the director, but that's another issue.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#88 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,510 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 12:03 AM

Spoiler: click to show/hide

Rhiannonjk, on Jul 20 2005, 02:49 PM, said:

Hey, I'm not saying they *should* do it, I'm just explaining the logic and reasoning, and intense passion that some people feel about approaching others in regards to faith. 

I think all of you (Eskaminzim, FnlPrblm, and nutmeg) are basically saying that you don't care what other people think is going to happen to you in the afterlife, you don't want anybody nosing around in your business now.  That's great!  But seriously, short of coming up with some sort of "Don't talk to me about my soul" sign, is there a realistic way to do this?  You can put a "no soliciting" sign on your house, put yourself on "do not call" lists, and if you don't want people coming up to you in public, don't wear a shirt that says "Sin like you mean it." 

People will always be stupid, and misunderstand that a dark looking book means you worship the devil and must be saved.  If you feel so strongly about not having to hear from them, tell them kindly to go away.  But the only way I see to avoid ever being approached by somebody would be for people to stop talking to strangers in general, and that sounds like a sad world to me.

Actually, I'm such a laid back person, I can and have taken up a discussion with people (if they are reasonable and not extreme).  My boss was reading the Bible just last week when I went into work.  I talked to him a bit about it and so on.  No biggie.  I've worked events where they were spiritual in nature (the biggest was when the Pope came here back in '98[ish?]).  Every other person kept "blessing me".  Did I take offense to it?  Certainly not, for the situation was obvious.  However, there were at least two cases that after I said, "thanks", they pursued me continuously asking about my beliefs and what of them.  To me, yes, they began crossing the line there.  I was still polite of course (and massively sick with Mono.), but even with my extreme patients there are limits one can endure.  (this must seem kind of vague as to what was said and how they pursued...I don't remember the particulars, just that they followed me for a block and a half attempting to 'turn me').

Basically what I'm trying to say is like with most things, whether it be a religious discussion or a gay guy hitting on me or even someone I know well making me a butt of a joke several times over (I can take a joke, but not everytime I see someone), once I say no-thanks or okay, that's enough...things should cease right there.  It's not that I wouldn't have an open mind to something or that I'm against it, just on some things I don't wish to pursue venturing into a territory I'd rather not be in.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#89 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

And from the ashes of fire, she is reborn

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 02:13 AM

Zwolf666, on Jul 20 2005, 01:02 PM, said:

******* In my experience, Christians don't mind pagans nearly as much as they mind atheists.  Pagans are still "spiritual" and are still playing the game.  They're not as much of a threat.  And being harrassed for having friends who are something isn't nearly the same as being harrassed for being that thing yourself.  So, sorry, but based on your original statement - that believers are harassed much more than non-believers - I still don't think you understand the perspective.  But, nobody says you have to...

Cheers,

Zwolf

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Zwolf, respectfully...having gone from athiest to pagan, I disagree. I've caught more flack for the pagan thingt than from the athiest thing...and i've been asked to explain far more too, which I don't mind (i just wish I was more eloquent doing it!)

To be fair, i try not to bring religion into discussions, or cap it off with saying I won't discuss this at present if I feel I am being harassed, so it's only a little more, but it is a noticeable little.

Cheers
Chaddee
RIP Ruby Medallion: 31-10-1999/21-05-2007
one gender-reassigned, world travelling, world class snake.

FKA Chaddee, amongst other things.
http://scentedalchemy.webs.com Custom handmade bath and body products

#90 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

And from the ashes of fire, she is reborn

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 02:24 AM

Rhiannonjk, on Jul 20 2005, 06:26 PM, said:

["Hello, I notice that you were just making plans for church. I would like to share that I think you are wasting precious moment in a life that will surely end with nothing more than your last breath, from this body in front of me, and nothing more. Please, go enjoy life instead of planning for an afterlife that doesn't exist!"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rhiannon,

Your previous post was interesting, explaining why some people preach.

That said if someone cares to engage in a discussion (note, discussion, not a onesided rant. I feel I have hte right to explain my beliefs right back. ) and they are sincere, I usually try and stay respectfull....but if I get a guy on a train telling me easter eggs are about jesus christ and telling me I should be in church (and he shouldn't?) on easter sunday, I feel I have the right to tell him he's wrong.

The difference is, I'm willing to usually tolerate their rantings. They are usually not willing to tolerate mine ;-D

BTW, I love that quote above. I know you aren't stating it as your opinion, but I just had to quote it...:-D

Chaddee
RIP Ruby Medallion: 31-10-1999/21-05-2007
one gender-reassigned, world travelling, world class snake.

FKA Chaddee, amongst other things.
http://scentedalchemy.webs.com Custom handmade bath and body products

#91 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,225 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 07:12 AM

FnlPrblm, on Jul 21 2005, 01:03 AM, said:

Basically what I'm trying to say is like with most things, whether it be a religious discussion or a gay guy hitting on me or even someone I know well making me a butt of a joke several times over (I can take a joke, but not everytime I see someone), once I say no-thanks or okay, that's enough...things should cease right there.  It's not that I wouldn't have an open mind to something or that I'm against it, just on some things I don't wish to pursue venturing into a territory I'd rather not be in.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey don't single out gay guys hitting on you... I honestly don't get that... I hear so many people saying thats one of the things they object to about gay people, that gay people know gay from straight (more likely though they think it will be contagious or label them gay or something... I don't mean you, I can't assume you are like that from one sentence, but I'm sure you know the kind of person I'm talking about ;) ). Anyways, round to my *point* in my objection to that.

I don't like lesbians *or* straight male people hitting on me. Unwanted advances are unwanted advances no matter where they are coming from. Do you never get unwanted advances from women FnlPrblm ;)
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#92 Rhiannonjk

Rhiannonjk

Woof!

• Islander
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 07:17 AM

BTW, I love that quote above. I know you aren't stating it as your opinion, but I just had to quote it...:-D
actually, pretty much, that quote *is* my opinion.  If there's an afterlife or not, lets live this life to it's fullest!  

And yeah, it sucks that most people that decide to preach don't want to hear what you have to say, unless it's to "hear your objections" so that they might address them.  Then again, I might be getting evangelism mixed up in my head with direct sales...

***Is easily distracted***

#93 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 09:33 PM

Rhiannonjk, on Jul 21 2005, 04:17 AM, said:

And yeah, it sucks that most people that decide to preach don't want to hear what you have to say, unless it's to "hear your objections" so that they might address them.  Then again, I might be getting evangelism mixed up in my head with direct sales...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be because they use the same techniques.  :suspect:

Nonny
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#94 JillliJ

JillliJ

Loyal Harperchondriac

• Islander
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 11:55 PM

I spoke to a Mormon tag team once who stated, quite bluntly (and whether or not this is the truth, I have no way of knowing, not being a Mormon) that the more people they could convert, the more 'points' they would get, leading to their own advancement within the Church heirarchy, and storing up for a higher place in the Celestial Kingdom. Very capitalistic, those guys! So for them, at least, it had nothing to do with me or the state of my soul, but with them and the state of their positions within their church. My soul, or lack thereof, was very much secondary to the ultimate goal.

Hey, sorry I don't know how to do the quote thingy that makes it show who actually said that.  Just jumping in here to say, for the record, that what those guys said was WAY off according to Mormon doctrine and theology.  Points for advancement in church heirarchy?  Oh please... *rolls eyes*

Anyway, please continue with your dicussion here.  I find this very interesting.  :)

Posted Image

Keeper of Harper's Bunk on Beka's Ship
Keeper of Beka's Unoffical Little Brother

#95 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 06:30 AM

Jill if you just go into the opening tag and add =name, like this [QUOTE=Jilli], that will at least put the original poster's name in there. You can also add the date and time if you like but generally if I'm doing a quote by hand and not using the buttons that's all I do.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#96 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 07:48 AM

Why not just use the "Quote" button so it's automatic?

#97 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 11:34 AM

Delvo, on Jul 22 2005, 08:48 AM, said:

Why not just use the "Quote" button so it's automatic?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't know about Jill, Delvo, but sometimes if you only want to quote a small part of an extensive post, especially if that has other quotes in it, it's easier to use quote 'manually' then using the reply or quote buttons on the post. Using the quote button in the post window doesn't automatically put the name of the member being quoted in like the other buttons do.

Edited by Anastashia, 22 July 2005 - 11:35 AM.

The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#98 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 11:48 AM

Nonny, on Jul 20 2005, 07:40 PM, said:

Those of you with these lists of times you've been "accosted" over religion are seriously beginning to make me wonder what else you're not telling that would explain how in the world you've kept managing to get it to happen to you... no such thing has ever happened to me or anyone else I've ever heard from in any of the places I've been.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm guessing you don't spend a lot of time at a VA hospital associated with a medical school run by a Christian university.  I do.  In fact I'll be there tomorrow for an appointment and group.  With any luck, I won't have to lay eyeballs on one of the many members of that particular chuch who have gotten their promotions to jobs they can't quite manage due to their membership in said church, or due to providing sexual services to the director, but that's another issue.  

Nonny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:eek:  :eek:  :eek:

For myself, I don't engage in religious dicussions, period. If I am accosted, I tell the person I'm not interested. If they don't cease and desist then they have to putting up with my leaving/slamming the door in their faces.

Edited by Rhea, 22 July 2005 - 11:51 AM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#99 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 09:04 PM

JillliJ, on Jul 21 2005, 08:55 PM, said:

Just jumping in here to say, for the record, that what those guys said was WAY off according to Mormon doctrine and theology.  Points for advancement in church heirarchy?  Oh please... *rolls eyes*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps you could clear up something else.  This was said by a recent Mormon convert last year.  She was trying to interest me and was politely telling her I wasn't interested and she said, that's okay, there will be missionaries waiting for you when you die and I won't tell you what I said to her that made her blink and back off, but what's the deal?  Is that a Mormon doctrine, missions to the afterlife?  :oh:

Nonny
Posted Image

#100 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 09:13 PM

Rhea, on Jul 22 2005, 08:48 AM, said:

Nonny, on Jul 20 2005, 07:40 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nonny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:eek:  :eek:  :eek:

For myself, I don't engage in religious dicussions, period. If I am accosted, I tell the person I'm not interested. If they don't cease and desist then they have to putting up with my leaving/slamming the door in their faces.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You betcha  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  One I couldn't get away from was my physical therapist .  She started in on me about six years ago while I was in the middle of a set of exercises, and I really hate being a captive audience.  Anyway, the church that runs my VA hospital happens to be vegetarian, and her line was, hey, you don't have to be a vegetarian to join my church anymore, and I was all, she thinks that THAT'S gonna make it attractive?  :rolleyes:  I'm already not a vegetarian!  :hehe:

Nonny
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Religion, Government, Atheists, Media, Op-Ed, Gina Piccalo, NYTimes

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users