Culture Russia 2005

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 07:52 PM

I'm very, very limited in my exposure to Russians, but my perceptions are this:  a very great, resilient people, with a government I don't like very much.  (Don't feel bad, though - I'm not crazy about our own government much of the time, either).   I don't trust Putin overmuch... not because he's evil or anything, but because he'd like to be on top again and the time's ripe to put financial pressure on the U.S. in that regard.  But, like I said in the China thread, I can't really blame any other country for trying to be #1, even if I hope we find a way around it. :)

I think we owe the Russians a great debt because even though the U.S. likes to take the lion's share of the credit in winning World War II, I think the Russians really did a helluva lot of the hard work and made incredible sacrifices at Stalingrad.  If the Russians hadn't held the Nazis back there, Hitler would've made it to the oil fields and that war would have gone on a lot longer... maybe long enough for Hitler to get some of his secret weapons up and running.  So we owe the Russians greatly for that and too often neglect to give them credit.  Those were some tough, determined people.

One thing I like about Russians is, years ago I was watching Donahue (he was still  a ratings-getter at the time, so I think Scherzo would attest that it was a long, long time ago! :) ) and he went to Russia to do his show there for a week, and when he asked the Russians where they'd like to visit if they could come over to the U.S., most of them said... Mississippi! :)  My state.  They were big admirers of William Faulkner's writing, and wanted to see where he was from.   Since most people in my own country tend to spit on my state, it was nice to hear that.   Personally, I think Eudora Welty's easily our best writer and blows Faulkner out of the water, but, I'll take what I can get. :)

Anyway, overall I have a pretty good opinion of Russia.

I was actually talking about Russia with a co-worker of mine once, and she said she was really happy that we get along with Russia now, "even though we fought against them in World War II."  :)  So, even some of the really, really stupid people in America have a good opinion of Russia, too. :)

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#22 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 08:19 PM

This thread seems to be showing that we don't know a heck of a lot about Russia or Russians other than politicians or cultural icons.  We need to a lot more about a lot of other countries.  I  think it also shows that we don't tend to hold communism "against" the Russian people.    But the people of a country and the government of a country are rarely comparable.  We used to see photos of fat ladies in babushkas.  Didn't see any of those in the audience of the McCartney in Red Square special.  

Themis
Cats will never be extinct!

#23 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 07:34 AM

I just know the little bit that comes from having a grandfather who left Russian controlled territory in 1905ish and a sister who helped Russian Jews who've moved to the United States get used to the US.

My sister lived in Houston and met alot of recent immigrants from Russia. They were all amazed at the supermarkets we have here (ok - I've brought people from NYC to our supermarkets in Texas and they were flabbergasted) and the selsection of food - especially fruits and veggies available. One group pretty much adopted my sister, she still calls them for medical advice (at least one was a doctor) and to chat. They taught her Russian :) and seem to be very smart hardworking nice people. All I know is how to ask for candy! LOl

#24 A Human

A Human

Are You Really The Best?

• Just Washed Ashore
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 09:00 AM

WOW!  :eek4:  I didn't expect so much answers!  :D

But I start to answer on your posts!  :)

#25 A Human

A Human

Are You Really The Best?

• Just Washed Ashore
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 09:08 AM

When I was very little, I heard people talking about how Kruschev said he was going to do something to America.

Kruschev? I think he didn't want to do something for America.

I knew I lived in America and apparently Kruschev wasn't somebody very nice.

Yeah! I agree. He wasn't very nice! He did all only for himself!

I thought Russians must really like jeans.

LOL!   :hehe: Yes! we really like to wear jeans! It's like our national clothes!

Are you in Russia, A Human?

Yes, I really from Russia. I Live In Saint-Petersburg. I think you've heard about this city!  :angel:

#26 A Human

A Human

Are You Really The Best?

• Just Washed Ashore
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 09:13 AM

Cardie, on Jul 20 2005, 04:01 AM, said:

My favorite cultural product from Russia is their composers, especially Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, and Rimsky-Korsakov.  I'm also fairly familiar with early Soviet films and 19th century Russian literature.

Cardie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes our composers are known all over the world! I am a metallist, but sometimes I hear to their music. You have a good taste! And my favourite is Tchaikovsky. :)

#27 A Human

A Human

Are You Really The Best?

• Just Washed Ashore
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 09:22 AM

Nerdqueen, on Jul 20 2005, 07:21 AM, said:

I'm part Russian, but I really have nothing to say about Russians. *shrug*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm.. If you are a half-part Russian, you MUST (i think) know someting about us. It's strange.  :blush:

#28 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,654 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 11:09 AM

A Human, on Jul 21 2005, 09:08 AM, said:

Yes, I really from Russia. I Live In Saint-Petersburg. I think you've heard about this city!  :angel:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A friend of mine who visited St. Petersburg said it's one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#29 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 11:15 AM

Cardie, on Jul 21 2005, 04:09 PM, said:

Yes, I really from Russia. I Live In Saint-Petersburg. I think you've heard about this city!  :angel:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A friend of mine who visited St. Petersburg said it's one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Cardie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've wanted to visit ever since I read "Where Nights Are Longest," a travel book by a British writer who drove across the former Soviet Union in the 1980s.  The whole Petrodverts garden/fountain complex sounds particularly amazing.

Of course, I currently live in Los Angeles, a city with so many Russians that we actually hold a Victory Day parade every year in West Hollywood to commemorate the Soviet defeat of Nazi Germany, complete with elderly Red Army veterans in the procession.  The Hollywood Forever cemetery (right next to Paramount Studios!), where many Russians are buried, even has a lovely monument to veterans of the Great Patriotic War.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#30 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 11:33 AM

I lived in LA for 20 years and didn't know that!!!

I, too, would love to go to St. Petersburg.  The Pushkin, the Kirov, the canals, the Amber Room....so much to see there!  

Here's a really ignorant question - for an American traveling to the major cities in Russia, is it easy or difficult to find people who speak English?  Is language a problem?

Themis
Cats will never be extinct!

#31 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 11:47 AM

A Human, on Jul 21 2005, 10:08 AM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My maternal great grandparents are Russian and I have a number of friends from the Russian Jewish community. What I know is besides being good people; they tend to be a bit cynical, and very pragmatic.

Yes I have heard of St. Petersburg, Leningrad, Volgograd, Stalingrad, Gorky and a number of other cities, and regions, and still I will be the first to admit that I know next to nothing about Russia and her peoples.

Even though I fully understand why the names where changed I think the world should remember Leningrad, and Stalingrad, if for no other reason to honor the horrific sacrifice of the ordinary Russians in both cities. AND yes I am aware of the hundreds of smaller Russian cities, and villages that where utterly destroyed during World War II.

Welcome aboard.
Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#32 Fwe

Fwe

Fallen Angel

• Islander
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 10:29 PM

A Human, on Jul 21 2005, 09:22 AM, said:

Nerdqueen, on Jul 20 2005, 07:21 AM, said:

I'm part Russian, but I really have nothing to say about Russians. *shrug*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm.. If you are a half-part Russian, you MUST (i think) know someting about us. It's strange.  :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey! *waves* I'm Nerdqueen's sister. :p I've got plenty of love for the country. :p And we're about... *thinks* Eh... maybe 1/8 Russian. Not too much.
Les légers et l'obscurité... deux noms, mais à la fin... sont identiques.

My profile on FF.Net

Ich bin ein Berliner! :)

#33 Ilisidi

Ilisidi

tantalizing...

• Islander
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 11:43 PM

While I don't know any Russians, I've been fascinated with the culture, the literature, the music -- fan of Tchaivosky -- the architecture especially and just how old the land really is.  I've been studying Russia for my (never ending it seems) story I'm writing and have been pleased ever since that I decided to study up on a country where I had many misconceptions of and in truth, knew absolutely nothing about the country.  

It would be a dream for me to actually be able to go there and see in person St. Petersburg, stand in Red Square and look at the Kremlin.  

Before I started reading up on Russia, I was dumbfounded to find out that the Kremlin was actually a wall with buildings behind it.   :blush:  :hehe:  Just one example of the things I learned.
found this tidbit in the note section!  

Words of Zack RE Tyr: This is just one ex-writer speaking completely non-canonically, but in my mind the most fascinating thing about Tyr was that despite his breeding and socialization to be treacherous, opportunistic, and selfish, it was pretty clear that underneath it all, another aspect of Tyr's personality was to be gentle, loyal, and altruistic. We saw this most clearly in "Distant Drum," where with his memory gone Tyr's default mode was to protect the weak and risk his life for kludges, but it also surfaced in "Its Hour" with Tyr's obvious pride in and protectiveness toward Harper, and then in "All Too Human" (the title says it all), where Tyr is confused and enraged by his own compassion toward Harper. In my own mind at least, Tyr's growth as a character was ultimately to try and merge what was best about the Nietzscheans (energy, intelligence, never say die attitude) with what was best about humanity (empathy, altruism, connectedness with others.)As always, YMMV.

How I remember those days....

#34 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 01:05 AM

The country that introduced the egg into an art form.   As in the Faberge Eggs.

#35 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 02:28 AM

I was fortunate to go into the USSR back in the early 70's. 310 of us from highschools around the US rode a train from Helsinki to St. Petersberg, then later on to Moscow, then Aeroflot into Poland... we were taking college credit courses in comparative governments.

I could write so much about what it was like - St.Petersberg was beautiful, Moscow was grey and dull and run down, save for the underground- clean and bright and lovely murals.

The babushkas watching us with small dark suspicious eyes from the apartment building front stoops. The intourist guide that was mandatory, and the frisbees we gave away to any who asked.

Watching one of us win three hundred cases of beer for doing three hundred 'Chuck Berry' hops across Red Square- and the looks on the faces of the people going about their business there at the time - they didn't think we were crazy, they Knew it.

I traded a mega pack of Spearmint gum for the belt buckle off a Red Army Colonel's belt. He was so excited over the trade, and so many were so curious and so polite to us. There was no hostility, just out and out friendly, though they seemd to very wary about it, looking over shoulders.

I really enjoyed my time there and it left a lasting impression on me.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#36 A Human

A Human

Are You Really The Best?

• Just Washed Ashore
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 04:48 PM

Cardie, on Jul 21 2005, 08:09 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cardie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, you are right! Saint-Petersburg is beautiful city. For example - Hermitage and Russian Museum. If you want I can Post a foto.  :rolleyes:

#37 A Human

A Human

Are You Really The Best?

• Just Washed Ashore
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 04:56 PM

MuseZack, on Jul 21 2005, 08:15 PM, said:

Cardie, on Jul 21 2005, 04:09 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cardie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've wanted to visit ever since I read "Where Nights Are Longest," a travel book by a British writer who drove across the former Soviet Union in the 1980s.  The whole Petrodverts garden/fountain complex sounds particularly amazing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow! Petrodvorets! I see you know much about us!  :wink: I visited Petrodvorets last time about 10 years ago! But till now I remember its wonderful fountain and views!

#38 A Human

A Human

Are You Really The Best?

• Just Washed Ashore
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:01 PM

Themis, on Jul 21 2005, 08:33 PM, said:

I lived in LA for 20 years and didn't know that!!!

I, too, would love to go to St. Petersburg.  The Pushkin, the Kirov, the canals, the Amber Room....so much to see there! 

Here's a really ignorant question - for an American traveling to the major cities in Russia, is it easy or difficult to find people who speak English?  Is language a problem?

Themis

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*smokes* If you'll ever come to Saint-Petersburg (In the further SPB :) )  I meet you myself!

Hmm.. English? Much people in Russia learn English language. So I dodn't think that it is a problem.

#39 A Human

A Human

Are You Really The Best?

• Just Washed Ashore
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:07 PM

emsparks, on Jul 21 2005, 08:47 PM, said:

My maternal great grandparents are Russian and I have a number of friends from the Russian Jewish community. What I know is besides being good people; they tend to be a bit cynical, and very pragmatic.

Welcome aboard.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks! We are really good people. But our present generation is bad. Our young boys and girls (In the majority) thinks only about themselfs.

#40 A Human

A Human

Are You Really The Best?

• Just Washed Ashore
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:12 PM

Ilisidi, on Jul 22 2005, 08:43 AM, said:

While I don't know any Russians,

It would be a dream for me to actually be able to go there and see in person St. Petersburg, stand in Red Square and look at the Kremlin.   

Before I started reading up on Russia, I was dumbfounded to find out that the Kremlin was actually a wall with buildings behind it.   :blush:  :hehe:  Just one example of the things I learned.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now you know one russian!  :D  and as I said if you'll ever go to Russia I meet you myself! But Kremlin is in Moscow, Novgorod. In SPB there is no Kremlin.. :pout:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Culture, Russia, 2005

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users