56 replies to this topic

#41 A Human

A Human

Are You Really The Best?

• Just Washed Ashore
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:15 PM

D'Monix, on Jul 22 2005, 10:05 AM, said:

The country that introduced the egg into an art form.   As in the Faberge Eggs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

YES!  :D LOL!!! And during the deep night (sometimes and somewhere) there are bears walk in the streets!

#42 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 07:20 PM

We did have another member from St Petersburg but since her job changed we haven't heard from her.

EDIT - Actually her profile says she was active today but I don't recall seeing any posts from her in years. Her nick is Lina.

Edited by Anastashia, 22 July 2005 - 07:46 PM.

The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#43 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 09:55 PM

I think of Russia as being a country with different cultures within it, in part because it is so large, and in part because I think it has a complex history.  When I think of Russian people, I often think of dancers---like Mikhail Barishnikov---or composers, or skaters who have competed on an international level.  That's partly because what I am interested in when I look at other cultures and other countries are things like music, dance, art---in some ways these are the things that make us all fully human.

I also think of folk tales---I think there is a character called "Babba Yar" that is from Russian tales, is that correct?  And I think about the fact that I have heard that Russian literature is said to be very complex, though I have read very little of it, just a few stories.  

Though I have worked with students from other countries, I don't recall that any of them were Russian.  However, my husband and I did meet a woman from Russia recently at a craft fair.  She was an artist, and was selling traditional lacquer work that she had made.  We wound up buying some very pretty barrettes for our daughters, who have long hair.  In talking to the artist about her work, and hearing her talk to other customers, she seemed very appreciative of people liking her work.  Some American artists also are like that, but many are at least not as openly appreciative.  She just seemed like a very sweet person.

This same artist also had a beautiful set of matreshka dolls for sale---there must have been twelve to fifteen of the dolls, with the largest over a foot high.  It was way too expensive for me to buy, but I loved just seeing it! :love:

Oh, and welcome to Ex Isle, A Human! :)

And now, a momentary digression.... :D  

eloisel, on Jul 21 2005, 01:23 AM, said:

I thought Omar Sharif made a great looking Russian.  Yes, I still have a crush on him no matter how old he gets.  And, yes, I am well aware that he is Egyptian and not Russian.  I'd still learn to play Bridge if I could play with him.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you see Hidalgo?  IIRC, he was in that.   ;)

Fwe, on Jul 22 2005, 04:29 AM, said:

Hey! *waves* I'm Nerdqueen's sister. :p I've got plenty of love for the country. :p And we're about... *thinks* Eh... maybe 1/8 Russian. Not too much.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, cool....another family pair.  My daughter and I are both members here. :lilsmile:

Peridot

#44 A Human

A Human

Are You Really The Best?

• Just Washed Ashore
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 04:50 PM

Peridot, on Jul 23 2005, 06:55 AM, said:

I also think of folk tales---I think there is a character called "Babba Yar" that is from Russian tales, is that correct?  And I think about the fact that I have heard that Russian literature is said to be very complex, though I have read very little of it, just a few stories. 

This same artist also had a beautiful set of matreshka dolls for sale---there must have been twelve to fifteen of the dolls, with the largest over a foot high.  It was way too expensive for me to buy, but I loved just seeing it! :love:

Oh, and welcome to Ex Isle, A Human! :)

Peridot

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tales? Yes, there is one story. But it called like "Babba Yaga". Russian names hard to translete into English. I think it's right!  :)

Matreshka!  :D  :D  Personally I can't understand it! Why everybody who came from foreign countries necessarily will buy this thing!

#45 JchaosRS

JchaosRS

Ordered Chaos

• Islander
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 11:24 PM

Hmm... All I know about Russia is...

My ex-girlfriend was from Russia, and I LOVED her accent. I have a thing for Russian women, and more specifically- Russian accents. It just drives me wild.

An Besides the language ( I stated learning to speak Russian a few years ago, but life got in the way and I forgot all about it) I also love Classic Russian music ( I like Tchaikovsky as well) and I have always had an interest in Russian history. But other than that...

Oh yeah, tATu is from Russia.  More women with Russian accents.  :love:
Will be eternally Rommie's Slave
Jays Music Videos | Jeremy Farnum | LexaFans

#46 SarvodayaLadaki

SarvodayaLadaki

Love one another.

• Islander
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 11:56 PM

Ooh, Babas Yaga! In a number of East European myths, a Baba Yaga (there are more than one) is a cannibalistic witch who lives in a hut on the edge of the forest. The hut stands on chicken legs and will only lower itself after Baba Yaga said a certain rhyme. A picket fence surrounds the hut and she places the skulls of her victims on it. For transportation Baba Yaga uses a giant mortar which she drives at high speed across the forest floor by steering the pestle with her right hand and sweeping away all traces of her passage with a broom in her left hand. A host of spirits often follows her. Baba Yaga is often represented as a little, ugly, old woman with a huge and distorted nose and long teeth. She is also called Jezi-Baba or Baba Yaga Kostianaya Noga ("bone-legs"), referring to the fact that she is rather skinny. She is regarded as the devil's own grandmother. A Baba Yaga is a hard bargainer, and will threaten to eat those who do not fulfil their part of an agreement. (I know a lot about mythology)
People living deeply have no fear of death.- Anais Nin
---
We need to be the change we wish to see in the world.- Gandhi
---
When Life does not find a singer to sing her heart she produces a philosopher to speak her mind.- Kahlil Gibran
---
The artist formerly known as Gothique_Hobbit.

#47 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 04:21 AM

I'll be completely honest and say I know nothing about the Russian people except that they've always struck me as hard workers who get the short end of the stick.  One of my dreams is to take the train to Russia (the real dream is to do the trans-siberian rail, but that will have to wait a bit) but sadly both the BF and my father have said they feel uncomfortable with the idea of me tranvelling alone to those countries.   I still think I might make a break for it....
My candle burns at both its ends;
It will not last the night;
But oh, my foes, and oh, my friends --
It gives a lovely light."
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

#48 A Human

A Human

Are You Really The Best?

• Just Washed Ashore
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 03:19 PM

Nerdqueen, on Jul 24 2005, 08:56 AM, said:

Ooh, Babas Yaga! In a number of East European myths, a Baba Yaga (there are more than one) is a cannibalistic witch who lives in a hut on the edge of the forest. The hut stands on chicken legs and will only lower itself after Baba Yaga said a certain rhyme.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's like all that is known in Russia about Baba Yaga!  :)  By the way, I think that is not mythology, it is tale!  :D

Did you hear about Emelya (who travels on oven)?

#49 A Human

A Human

Are You Really The Best?

• Just Washed Ashore
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 03:21 PM

Rommies Slave, on Jul 24 2005, 08:24 AM, said:

Oh yeah, tATu is from Russia.  More women with Russian accents.  :love:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tatu!  :hehe: They are really known all over the world! Do you like a group Via Gra?

#50 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 04:02 PM

I met a Russian woman working here in a store. She was very nice, but didn't stay in West Virginia very long. There is a woman from the  Ukraine. One of the friendliest people I know.

I was a child when all the Cuban Missle crisis happened. I know about Kruschev for history, and I remember  Brezhnev, Andropov and Gorbachev, pretty well. I've lost track since, I know it is Putkin now. I've heard that George Bush refers to him as Putty Poot Poot.

I have been keeping some track of Chernobyl, and am interested in what will happen with the now collapsing building.
Can't Touch This!!

#51 A Human

A Human

Are You Really The Best?

• Just Washed Ashore
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 04:22 PM

Kosh, on Jul 28 2005, 01:02 AM, said:

One of the friendliest people I know.

I know about Kruschev for history, and I remember  Brezhnev, Andropov and Gorbachev, pretty well. I've lost track since, I know it is Putkin now.

I have been keeping some track of Chernobyl, and am interested in what will happen with the now collapsing building.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1. This is our mentality. We are very friendly, happy. We always do anything if it brings pleasure and never if we don't like that.

2. Not Putkin! Putin! :cool:

3. Chernobyl was in 1986. And what will collapse?

#52 Human

Human
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 04:05 PM

... ....

#53 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 05:22 PM

^^^^Again looks like gibberish like your thread title. Were you trying to post in Roman characters and left cyrillic on by mistake?

Edited by Anastashia, 28 July 2005 - 05:22 PM.

The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#54 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 05:32 PM

Moderators Helmet On
This isnt really a OT topic.  So Im kicking it off to The Beach.

Lines up Atomic Annie and fires!  Whoooooosssshhhhh!

Catch Dan and Rae. ;)
Moderators Helmet Off

Arrgh wrong thread....  Blasted too many windows open at one time.  Can someone kick this back to OT? :blush:

Edited by CJ AEGIS, 28 July 2005 - 05:34 PM.

"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#55 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 05:44 PM

I think it works pretty well here, but hey that's me.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#56 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 07:44 PM

It's sort of geographical, so the OT forum was probably best. Bouncing the thread back now...

#57 liath

liath

Mmmm prettyful

• Islander
  • 649 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 10:54 AM

2 years ago some Russian students came to my school for a day, they were also from St. Petersburg. They seemed really nice and were very interested in England and especially the different tourist attractions in London.

As I took Russian language for a year (but I am no good at all) me and the other people in the Russian class showed them around and as a thank you they gave us a box of chocolates, some postcards of St. Petersburg, and some wire and bead mice which had been made by young children at their school to give to us.

That is my entire experience of anything to do with Russia.
Come to the dark side, we have chocolate!

Formerly reul-bhuidhinn

Offer me solutions, offer me alternatives
And I decline - REM

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Culture, Russia, 2005

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users