Details in this thread

Dixie Chicks Get Nixed?

Dixie Chicks War Protesters Iraq

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#101 Guest-AleisterCrowley-Guest

Guest-AleisterCrowley-Guest

Posted 21 April 2003 - 09:37 AM

^You're welcome.  I agree the debate has run its course here.

#102 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 04:14 PM

perhaps CC is controlled by the New World Order

We mean you no harm!!

:cylon: < By your command
Can't Touch This!!

#103 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,747 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 05:55 PM

LT waves a hand to LoP and jon. Another C&W listener here.

While the DC are not my favorites, I loved some of their stuff and was not crazy about others, I think Natalie had a right to her opinion of President Bush. I don't agree with it, but she still has that right. Our radio station did not arbitrarily decide to stop airing their music, they hosted a call in to get listener opinion. 95% or more called for them to stop playing DC music, so they stopped. If it had gone the other way, they would have continued playing it.

I myself was born in Texas and am proud of the way he has been handling his presidency so far. I am no fan of war, but I do try and support my president. Sometimes war is a necessary thing.

I don't want to get off the track again, but I fail to understand how these people who are opposed to war and killing are mostly the same people who think nothing of aborting an unborn child~thereby killing the helpless unborn child who cannot defend itself.

Oh, and jon, I really love all that 'old' stuff, wish there was a station around that played it.

Edited: Lil, that redneck crack was really uncalled for. While I happily admit to being a redneck, (and we are not all as backward and ignorant as we are portrayed), the context in which you used it appears to be discriminatory, degrading and insulting. If that was not the intent, then you have my apologies.

Edited by LTA, 21 April 2003 - 06:11 PM.

#104 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 06:05 PM

LTA, on Apr 21 2003, 06:39 AM, said:

SNIPLT waves a hand to LoP and jon. Another C&W listener here.

SNIP
I'M NOT ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

And Hank William Sr was  da man!!!

LoP

#105 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,747 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 06:14 PM

No, LoP, you are not alone, and yes he was DaMan!!

[bad Hank Sr. voice]Hey, Good Lookin', Whatcha got cookin'?[/bad Hank Sr. voice]

#106 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 06:23 PM

Finally someone figures out that Maines didn't say word one about the freakin' war, she said she was ashamed that George W. was from Texas.
No anti-war comments at all,

Gee, I don't like Texas, either, and am part-Texan. :wideeyed: My maternal grandfather was Texan and evil; my Mom spent time in Texas, saw mostly the worst aspects of Texas. She *hates* Texas and never went back. (She was born in California, anyway. She also lived back East, but enjoyed most of that.) She, well, trained me to distrust Texas...

Frankly, since certain Texans (Bush, for example) appear to want  to destroy California, I think I have a right to my own feelings about Texas. They certainly have attitude toward California, which is apparently the Right Way to Think, but insulting Texas is Evil. Whatever.
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#107 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 07:58 PM

Who talked about destroying California?

Folks can say what they want but as the point that was not discussed. Do we (those who do not like the DC for thier statements) have to buy their products? I do I have to buy lipton tea?             No.

I can hold the DC's and the other spokemen like Tim Robbins  and say I agree you have the right to speak but I do not have to go to your movies or buy products you advertise. If that's blacklisting I would why becasue you have seen that folks might not be open to the idea of supporting you.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#108 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 11:54 PM

Hey, I just looked at the Billboard country chart and guess what?  The Dixie Chicks are at #1.  That's after having had their album out for 33 weeks and being targetted for boycotting for close to a month.  It would seem that this backlash against them is largely hype and little substance.  A few cranky dee-jays and talk radio screamers in the Clear Channel echo chamber does not a mass movement make.

Zack

P.S.  Oh yeah, take a look at what happened to "Bowling for Columbine" and "Stupid White Men" sales after Michael Moore's infamous Oscar speech.  Yep, they went up.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#109 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 01:18 AM

^^^Which just goes to prove the old adage, "Any press is good press.". :D  :yin-yang:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#110 MegL

MegL
  • Islander
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 07:34 AM

Here's a E! Online article on Susan Sarandon movie that aired last night that has info on the current state of the Dixie Chicks that very similar to what Zack just posted http://www.eonline.c...1,11655,00.html  :rolleyes:

I do want to state that I think the article is very wrong on why Ms. Sarandon's movie didn't do well last night. I think "Ice Bound" was simply the odd duck out. The movie, which I saw part of because I simply forgot it was on (after planning to watch it for over a week ( :( ). I also forgot about Helen of Troy airing and that sucker was overhyped online, IMO), was very good and I'm going to keep a eye out for it when it re-runs :) .

However, the competition was strong last night on both broadcast and cable networks (I did manage to remember to tape what I wanted to see on The History Channel during its second run, while watching some stuff on HGTV as well - IMHO there really was way to much new stuff airing last night) and I think jumping to the conclusion that the movie did poorly because Ms. Sarandon was in it, is grasping at straws.

Meg

PS: IMO watching The Ten Commandments is a tradition in the U.S., similar watching Rudolf the Rednose Reindeer or The Wizard of Oz each year and for E! to be surprised it's still doing well after all these years is pretty baffling as well  :eek:  [I also think some people think watching The Ten Commandments is a substitute for going to church or to the synagog, which is kind of scary IMO  :eh: ]

#111 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 08:41 AM

Also, I don't think there was enough actual story, even with Susan Sarandon in the lead role to support a full length movie about this event. It was pretty simple once you look at it, the doctor performed her own cancer treatment because she couldn't be airlifted out. It just felt kind of thin to me and not that interesting. If I want to know about this I'll read a book or article about it or see the documentary, not a network channel's attempt at telling a fictionalized account of it.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dixie Chicks, War Protesters, Iraq

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users