Posted 05 August 2005 - 12:20 AM

CNN Suspends Robert Novak

#2 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 02:32 AM

NOt that Carville's comments to him were very kindhearted, but Novak just came off to me as a whiny baby.  Get a backbone.  This is how the current state of US news/politics works.
"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#3 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 06:51 AM

I was stunned, mainly because I've seen Carville and Novak clash for years--with both throwing some nasty zingers--but neither has ever hopped up, said "bullsh*t" and stormed off the set.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#4 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,651 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 08:07 AM

We don't know what kind of pressure Novak is under with the Plame case, his testimony to the grand jury, White House expectations, etc.  Also, I think he's had some health problems recently.

He's always had a nasty and unpleasant demeanor, so I'm not really shocked that he behaved like this.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#5 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 08:09 AM

Aw, I hate to hear this, because I like Novak.  Novak's a really good, astute commentator who's always reasonable and has well-thought-out  responses, a person of wit and integrity, and great inner and exterior beauty...

Oh, waitaminit... you're talkin' about that little troll-lookin' asscrack who outted a CIA agent in his column, right?  F*** that guy, he shoulda been shot for treason long before he had a chance to throw a hissy on TV.   I was thinking of Kim Novak. :) (she was preeeetttty...)

That was a beautiful clip... the Daily Show must've ran it ten times.  The only thing more amazing to me was watching Bill O'Really try to school John McCain on prisoner abuse.   I knew that after the whole "fallafel" incident that Bill didn't have much of a sense of shame, but I never knew it could run that deep...

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#6 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 08:35 AM

Cardie: We don't know what kind of pressure Novak is under with the Plame case, his testimony to the grand jury, White House expectations, etc. Also, I think he's had some health problems recently.

He's always had a nasty and unpleasant demeanor, so I'm not really shocked that he behaved like this.

Very true. Also, Ed Henry said he had told Novak that he wanted to ask a couple of questions about the Plame leak. Novak had made last week a startling revelation: he got Plame's name from "Who's Who."  Carville had a copy of "Who's Who" beside him and moved it to the center of the table, apparently anticipating that the Plame questions were going to come up since the segment's time was ticking away. Novak appears to be looking at the book right before he explodes. Looks to me like he mainly wanted to get out of there and avoid questions about the Plame matter.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#7 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

Shh... the lambs are sleeping...

• Islander
  • 6,687 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 10:05 AM

Here's a more detailed article on the suject from Variety:

Novak suspended from CNN
Stormy set behavior gets columnist sidelined

By MICHAEL LEARMONTH

NEW YORK -- CNN suspended syndicated columnist Bob Novak after he said "b*llsh*t" on the air and walked off the set of "Strategy Session" during a debate with James Carville.
"Bob Novak's behavior on CNN today was inexcusable and unacceptable," a CNN spokeswoman said. "Mr. Novak has apologized to CNN and CNN apologizes to its viewers for his language and his actions."

CNN added it has asked Novak to "take some time off" from appearing on the network but that the length of time Novak will take from the show hasn't yet been discussed.

The incident occurred during the "Strategy Session" segment on "Inside Politics" Thursday afternoon. Novak and Carville were debating Rep. Katherine Harris' plan to run for a Senate seat against Democratic Sen. Bill Nelson.

Carville interrupted Novak, who said, "Just let me finish what I'm going to say, James, please. I know you hate to hear me."

Carville then spoke over Novak to host Ed Henry: "He's gotta show these right-wingers that he's got a backbone, you know. The Wall Street Journal editorial page is watching. Show 'em you're tough."

Novak responded, "Well, I think that's b*llsh*t, and I hate that."

Then Novak turned to host Henry and said, "Just let it go," and stood up, removed his microphone and stormed off the set.

Testy exchange occurred during a segment in which anchor Ed Henry had warned Novak he planned to quiz him on his involvement in the CIA leak case, which began when Novak revealed the name of agency operative Valerie Plame in his syndicated column two years ago.

Anchor Ed Henry apologized for the incident, and said, "I had told him in advance that we would ask him about the CIA leak investigation. Hopefully, we'll be able to ask him about that in the future."

After Novak walked off, Carville and Henry continued to banter over Harris' political chances. The CNN crew pulled away the empty chair during a commercial break.

CNN stood by Novak throughout the Plame affair. In July, CNN U.S. prexy Jonathan Klein called Novak "one of the finest political reporters this country has ever known."

Greets
Lambsilencer

#8 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 07:46 PM

I loved Stewarts "It's my birthday, it's my birthday." :alien:
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#9 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 12:34 PM

Lambsilencer, on Aug 5 2005, 07:05 AM, said:

from the article:

CNN suspended syndicated columnist Bob Novak after he said "b*llsh*t" on the air and walked off the set of "Strategy Session" during a debate with James Carville.
"Bob Novak's behavior on CNN today was inexcusable and unacceptable," a CNN spokeswoman said. "Mr. Novak has apologized to CNN and CNN apologizes to its viewers for his language and his actions."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where are all those Parents Who Pay College Students to Powerwatch TV So They Can Find Stuff to Complain to the FCC About?  Why aren't they screaming their lungs dry over this?  Why...?  Oh yeah, cuz he's their man.  

Sh*t.  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#10 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 12:48 PM

At least it wasn't Robert Novak's naked breast.

:eek4:

:barf:

BuuuuccckKKKETTTT!

Edited by waterpanther, 06 August 2005 - 12:49 PM.

Posted Image

#11 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 01:11 PM

waterpanther, on Aug 6 2005, 09:48 AM, said:

At least it wasn't Robert Novak's naked breast.

:eek4:

:barf:

BuuuuccckKKKETTTT!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

I'm laughing so hard I'm gonna hurl!
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#12 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 07:51 PM

It couldn't have happened to a creepier guy.  I've never liked Novack, ugly little troll that he is. Between this and Lil Tuck Carlson getting his a** handed to him by Jon Stewart...well life is good! After all, it IS the simple things in life isn't it?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Nonprofit

Nonprofit
  • Islander
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 11:30 AM

I had a different take on the video.

If you watch carefully, after Carville makes the unwarrented personal attack on Novak, Novak uses inappropriate language in response.

But then he looks at the moderator, like he's expecting the moderator to do something. Then he tells the MODERATOR "Just Let it Go", like he had lost his train of thought.

But when the moderator then ignored him and asked CARVILLE another question, that is when Novak, who was still looking at the moderator, got up and left.

He didn't start to get up until the Moderator started asking Carville the next question.

It looked to me that Novak was mad that the Moderator rewarded Carville for his interruption by giving Carville the chance to answer the next question.

It felt to me like Novak was expecting the moderator to say "No, Bob, finish what you were going to say." Which is what the moderator should have said.

What Novak should have done when Carville implied he was a liar that was carrying water for the right wingers at the WSJ, is confronted him with that, are you calling me a liar, and what evidence do you have?

I also wonder if perhaps Carville might have said things to Novak in the Green Room before the show. Given that Carville can't seem to go more than one hour without behaving like a thug, nothing would surprise me.

RuReddy

#14 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 12:14 PM

In these type of shows there is no such thing as Parliamentary Procedure :devil:

EVERYONE (conservatives and liberals, Democrats and Republicans, hotheads and bigger hotheads) alike all talk on top of one another and are rude to one another.

Novak is a jerk.  He's going to either have to accept that he's been caught or he will have to openly admit and apologize for what he did.  It's gnawing on him.  Not because of conscience but because he's been caught. :whistle:
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#15 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 12:17 PM

Hibblet, we shouldn't presume to judge the state of another's conscience.

and as far as Novak being a jerk, well so is Carville. A huge Meh! on both of them and the antics on stage.

Edited by Shalamar, 07 August 2005 - 12:17 PM.

The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#16 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 01:33 PM

RuReddyI had a different take on the video.

If you watch carefully, after Carville makes the unwarrented personal attack on Novak, Novak uses inappropriate language in response.

But then he looks at the moderator, like he's expecting the moderator to do something. Then he tells the MODERATOR "Just Let it Go", like he had lost his train of thought.

Have you ever watched the show? That's all they ever do on it is attack each other, yell over top of each other, interrupt each other, insult each other etc...Nothing new happened that day, Novack just seemed to lose it. I can't make any claim as to WHY he wigged out but there was nothing different on that day then any other day.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 02:03 PM

Yahoo

Novak Apologizes for Swearing, Walking Out

By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer Fri Aug 5, 4:00 PM ET

NEW YORK - Robert Novak apologized Friday for swearing on the air and walking off a CNN set, but said it had nothing to do with the federal probe sparked by his revelation of a CIA officer's name in a 2003 column.

"I apologize for my conduct and I'm sorry I did it," he said in an interview.

CNN has pulled him off the air indefinitely. Novak said "I'll follow their guidance" on when he returns.

CNN correspondent Ed Henry said afterward that he had been about to ask Novak about his role in the investigation of the leak of Valerie Plame's identity, which Novak has repeatedly refused to comment on aside from some references in his column.

"That had nothing to do with it, absolutely nothing," Novak said. "I was sorry he said that."

The incident occurred Thursday as Novak and Democratic operative James Carville were handicapping the Senate candidacy of former Florida Secretary of State Katherine Harris. Novak said the opposition of the Republican establishment in Florida might not be fatal for her.

"Let me just finish, James, please," Novak continued. "I know you hate to hear me, but you have to."

Carville, addressing the camera, said: "He's got to show these right wingers that he's got a backbone, you know. It's why The Wall Street Journal editorial page is watching you. Show 'em that you're tough."

"Well, I think that's bull---- and I hate that," Novak replied. "Just let it go."

As moderator Henry stepped in to ask Carville a question, Novak walked off the set.

A CNN spokeswoman, Edie Emery, called Novak's behavior "inexcusable and unacceptable." She said "we've asked Mr. Novak to take some time off," she said.

Only two weeks ago, CNN executives defended their decision to keep Novak on the air during the investigation into the leak.
Novak identified Plame in July 2003 as the wife of Bush administration critic and former U.S. ambassador Joseph Wilson.

In his syndicated column Monday, Novak provided some details after having been largely silent about his role. He did not dispute that a former CIA spokesman, Bill Harlow, told him he should not print Plame's name during conversations they had before the column was published.

But Novak reasserted that no CIA official ever told him in advance "that Valerie Plame Wilson's disclosure would endanger her or anybody else."

Wilson has said the leak of his wife's name was an attempt by the administration to discredit him. Two other reporters connected to the case openly fought the revelation of their sources, and Judith Miller of The New York Times has been jailed for refusing to cooperate with prosecutors.

Henry said Thursday that Novak had been told before the "Inside Politics" segment that he was going to be asked on air about the CIA case.

"I'm hoping that we will be able to ask him about that in the future," Henry said.

Novak has been a longtime contributor to CNN, taking the conservative point of view during the just-canceled "Crossfire" show.
Bold by bold: 1. but I bet it has plenty to do with the stress he's under due to the federal probe sparked by his revelation of a CIA officer's name in a 2003 column; 2. I guess CNN didn't realize how much stress he's been under due to the federal probe sparked by his revelation of a CIA officer's name in a 2003 column; 3a. if he has to be told not to reveal something like that, then he's unreliable anyway; and 3b. nobody would have told him in advance not to since it would never have occured to anybody that he'd do something like that.  

It's time he stops trying to shift that buck, because it stopped there.  

Nonny

Edited by Nonny, 07 August 2005 - 02:07 PM.

Posted Image

#18 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 08:31 PM

Shalamar, on Aug 7 2005, 12:17 PM, said:

Hibblet, we shouldn't presume to judge the state of another's conscience.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh why not?

He walked off stage and didn't fight back.

#19 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 08:38 PM

Lin731, on Aug 7 2005, 06:33 PM, said:

RuReddyI had a different take on the video.

Have you ever watched the show? That's all they ever do on it is attack each other, yell over top of each other, interrupt each other, insult each other etc...Nothing new happened that day, Novack just seemed to lose it. I can't make any claim as to WHY he wigged out but there was nothing different on that day then any other day.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe he noted that "Who's Who" on the desk.  After all, he found out about Ms. Plame by looking in "Who's Who."   :lol:
Of all the varieties of virtues, liberalism is the most beloved.
--Aristotle

The fanatic is not really a stickler to principle. He embraces a cause not primarily because of its justness or holiness but because of his desperate need for something to hold onto.
--Eric Hoffer

#20 Nonprofit

Nonprofit
  • Islander
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 09:00 PM

RuReddy said:

I had a different take on the video.

Lin731says:
Have you ever watched the show?

I just stated I watched this video. But yes I have watched the show many times prior.

Lin731 says:
That's all they ever do on it is attack each other, yell over top of each other, interrupt each other, insult each other etc...Nothing new happened that day, Novack just seemed to lose it.

Gee,  I seemed to have been watching a different video.  I didn't see Novak lose anything. After attacking each other, yelling over top of each other, interrupting each other, insulting each other etc... Saying  "Well, I think that's bull---- and I hate that," and  "Just let it go." is losing it in your opinion. I'm sorry but I have a different opinion of that  and I don't think he lost anything. In fact I think he held it together nicely. Except that he swore, he could have picked a better word.

Lin731 says:
I can't make any claim as to WHY he wigged out but there was nothing different on that day then any other day.

Hmmm getting out of a chair and walking out is WIGGED OUT in your opinion.  And you say nothing was different that day.   Perhaps Novak not fighting back was just a tad different this time around.  

:lol:

RuReddy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Robert Novak, Plame Case, CNN suspension, 2005

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users