60 replies to this topic

#1 Corwin

Corwin

fortitudo ac honor

• Islander
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 09:34 AM

http://apnews.myway..../D8BTJN0O0.html

EL PASO, Texas (AP) - Texas has become the fourth state to have a non-white majority population, the U.S. Census Bureau said Thursday, a trend driven by a surging number of Hispanics moving to the state.

According to the population estimates based on the 2000 Census, about 50.2 percent of Texans are now minorities. In the 2000 Census, minorities made up about 47 percent of the population in the second-largest state.

Now that I'm a minority can I have all those extra affirmative action perks?  :)

Corwin
"The Enemy is upon us, so Lock and Load, Brothers.  The Emperor Calls and the Forces of Chaos must be driven back.  Though all of us will fall, none of us shall fail!"

#2 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 09:43 AM

^ No. :) LOL!

Um... minorities don't really get "extra perks" because they are minorities - they get "extra perks" because they have traditionally been deliberately excluded from ANY perks by the majority.  If your minority status in the state of Texas begins to produce discrimination against you - then you certainly should get the "extra perks."

I think its also misleading.  "Minority" as a group is anything but homogeneous.  African Americans, Hispanics, Asian-Americans, Indian Americans, Native Americans - all have some issues in common and some issues totally not in common.  For instance, ESL issues tend to be more heavily the concerns of the hispanic population - and not the concern at all of the African American population, which may tend to side with the majority population on that subject.  SO, if we were to take "whites" as a monolithic whole - they'd be 49.8 percent of the population, while blacks would be about 12%, Hispanic, maybe 20 percent? etc.  Still, ultimately, minorities.

It's my hope, actually, that states that have come to this point, actually begin phasing out "affirmative action" in favor of proportionate representation strategies with a firm expiration date.  It would be great to see states like Texas become the proving ground for a truly colorblind America.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#3 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 10:08 AM

I know that California was the first state to become "majority-minority"--what an affront to the logic of language that is!  (I once had a student writing about a film set in Africa who dutifully called all the black characters minorities!)

What are the other two?

Edit=Never mind!  I could have just clicked the link in the first place.  

Cardie

Edited by Cardie, 11 August 2005 - 10:16 AM.

Nothing succeeds like excess.

#4 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 10:11 AM

From the article:

Texas joins California, New Mexico and Hawaii as states with majority-minority populations - with Hispanics the largest group in every state but Hawaii, where it is Asian-Americans.

Five other states - Maryland, Mississippi, Georgia, New York and Arizona - aren't far behind, with about 40 percent minorities.

Public policy analysts said these states and the country as a whole need to bring minority education and professional achievement to the levels of whites. Otherwise, these areas risk becoming poorer and less competitive.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#5 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 10:19 AM

I'm thinking it won't be too long until Michigan joins that list. We have one of the largest Arab American populations in the US and I'm seeing "Little Mexico's" popping up all over the place here as well. The educational levels are an area of concern to be sure. I live in a fairly rural county and when you go to one particular town, everything is bilingual and many of the people can't speak English at all. I asked a friend who grew up in this town about it and according to her, most are illegal aliens shipped in to work at the Vlasics pickle factory there. If people are here legally great but it really bothers me to see the budget strains on the educational system (that WE are paying for) based on having millions of illegal aliens living here.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Rhiannonjk

Rhiannonjk

Woof!

• Islander
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 11:11 AM

This reminds me of an article I saw referenced yesterday, and wanted to start an OT thread about, but didn't feel comfortable doing it because I couldn't find the source online.  But I have seen that the Dallas Morning News Does exist, so I'll post the contents of the article here:

Principals in Dallas schools may be given 3 years to learn spanish.  
Spoiler: click to show/hide

12:29 AM CDT on Wednesday, August 10, 2005
By TAWNELL D. HOBBS / The Dallas Morning News

The Dallas school board is planning to vote this month on a proposal that would require some principals to be bilingual.

Trustees discussed the plan Tuesday. It calls for principals at campuses where at least half of the students have been in limited English proficiency programs to learn the language spoken by the majority of students.

Trustee Joe May, who created the proposal, said such action is necessary to ensure that all parents can be involved with their child's school.

"One of the reasons that policies are needed is because the administration is not responsive to everyone," said Mr. May, who has received support from some Hispanic leaders.

Hispanic students make up about 65 percent of the Dallas Independent School District. Officials said in a June report that 89 schools would be affected. Of those, 37 do not have Spanish-speaking principals.

Under the proposal, the principals would have three years to attain language proficiency at the district's expense.

Trustee Hollis Brashear voiced concerns over the proposal. He said there is no data to show that the plan would increase parental involvement or help improve student performance.

"That's what we're here for – academic achievement," Mr. Brashear said.

A district analysis, which Mr. May called flawed, said the plan would not have much effect on student performance.

Mr. May believes the proposal would allow parents who don't speak English to communicate with their child's principal – and provide principals with a communication tool. He said the plan also would spur parental involvement.

Board President Lois Parrott said she is willing to look at the proposal because communities have to be reached in different ways.

"You cannot put just one system in place," Dr. Parrott said. "It has to be customized."

Superintendent Michael Hinojosa agreed.

"One size does not fit all in a system as large as Dallas," Dr. Hinojosa said.

***Is easily distracted***

#7 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:01 PM

^We're seeing this a lot in California. The net result of having everything laid out and done for the Spanish-speaking community (but not other immigrant groups, of course) is that they're causing self-created ghettos where the residents don't have to learn to speak English or integrate into the rest of the community because all the services they could ever want are provided within their little ghettos (including legal advice that's not even readily available for English-speaking families).

A good example is the fact the we have a preponderance of parents who are Spanish speaking illegals who nonetheless acquire Social Security Disability for their children who are in special ed (a trick the English-speaking parents don't know).  They are draining the hell out of the system and many don't make any effort to integrate into the larger community.

In my opinion this does a huge disservice to them, and particularly the women, who are more likely to not bother to learn English (even when courses are readily available within the community) and can barely manage to ride a bus.  More of the men learn English because they simply have no choice. For the women, who mostly either work as maids or don't work at all, there's no real impetus to learn our language. (And I do mean ghettos - sometimes three or four families are crammed into a one-bedroom apartment!)

If I decided to emigrate fo France tomorrow, I would damn well be expected to learn to speak French or rot - and that's as it should be. I don't understand why we don't expect the same of Spanish-speaking immigrants in this country (although we certainly do of other immigrant populations).

Edited by Rhea, 11 August 2005 - 01:02 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#8 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:12 PM

I live along the Texas-Mexico border, where we have immigration coming from both directions, and there's a distinct linguistic pattern.  First generation immigrants in from the north speak only English.  First generation immigrants in from the south speak only Spanish.  Second generation grows up bilingual.  Here  bilingual culture is the norm, as I suspect it may become for some other areas.  I do realize it may be disconcerting at first, though I can't speak from first hand experience; for South Texans, those first adjustments are generations in the past.
Posted Image

#9 Rhiannonjk

Rhiannonjk

Woof!

• Islander
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:46 PM

Rhea, perhaps we should do like most of the French, and become a society that is bilingual, but refuse to use the second language (I'm not being snarky here, I seriously think that might be the best mindset).  If you moved to France, they do speak english, and you will find some people willing to accomodate you, but the overall feel will be that you need to learn their language.  

Now, the French, as well as many other foreign language speaking countries, need to learn English because it is used so much, if in no other form, for academic texts (a friend of mine from Switzerland said that while knowing Swiss German and German is the norm, when he got to College there were some classes where the text was in English).  Americans have no need to know Spanish in that way, so I don't really proposed that we try to be just like the French, but anyways...

#10 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:47 PM

1- I've noticed that about the language:
where I live the LatinAm guys speak English even if they have a pride thing about maintaining and using their native tongue and mostly use Spanish together; the women seem to be behind the men, understanding less English and speak entirely Spanish amongst themselves and around the home.
2- The Indian women speak entirely Hindustani together though they seem to equal their men in English, though they sure don't prefer it, and speak only the home tongue to their kids.

3- Then there are the kids: from both origins, the schoolkids know English from being immersed in it in school, other kids, teachers: and when in mixed origin groups in the play areas like the ballcourt use English as the common language though will revert to Spanish if in a group of just those. The PreSchoolers though, they don't seem to know English because the moms use only the home tongue at home, so I bet those kids are at a huge disadvantage in kindergarten.

4- On the whole, the many folks from other lands who live near me vastly prefer keeping to their own kind, not having Anglo friends much, and keeping to own language and culture, just using USA for opportunities and jobs and kids' school, new cars, and hope of home ownership.
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#11 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 02:09 PM

Which is how it is promoted to them in their home countries.  

But really - what's wrong with that?  If we stop to think about it - how hard and scary is it to abandon one's culture for another, even if you KNOW you're going for a better opportunity?  I grew up in NY and there are ethnic neighborhoods all over - hassidic, other jewish, asian, black, russian, italian, irish... there's no difference in how people act - people make their assimilations gradually.  The issue of bilingualism is complicated by the fact that the global economy is making it where multilingualism is a benefit for anyone entering the job market - the process of mothers speaking the native tongue to the children and letting the children learn english in school is a deliberate strategy quite often.  Were I bilingual - it is a strategy I'd employ. I'd speak English to everyone BUT the children, to whom I'd only speak the other language.

But anyway - this is not really a thread about spanish speakers, is it? Isn't this thread really about the changing political climate now that the total number of minorities exceeds the majority population?

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#12 Rhiannonjk

Rhiannonjk

Woof!

• Islander
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 02:31 PM

Yes QT, and I'm kind of sorry for derailing the thread like this, but the langauge issue and how it is being handled is a big deal in the changing political climate.  

And as for the main issue, that the demographics of America are changing, I have absolutely no opinion.  So I'll pull up a chair and sit and watch...

#13 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 02:40 PM

Gah.  Sorry for my churlishness...You are absolutely right - and I don't mean to stifle conversation.  The language issue is indeed part of this.  I just didn't want the thread to ONLY be about this (but then -its also not my thread! GAH!)

I was actually interested in what people thought of the public policy pundits who said that improving education and access to professional jobs for minorities was a bigger critical issue in these states because of the impact to state productivity.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#14 Rhiannonjk

Rhiannonjk

Woof!

• Islander
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 03:08 PM

Edited to ad:  Oh, and QT, no need to apologize to me! But ten bonus points for using the word "Gah."

Ok, this comment might seem harsh, but...
If the people harvesting the fields and cleaning the hotel rooms become educated and want to then take over the market of doctors, lawyers, and engineers, who's going to harvest the fields and clean our hotel rooms?

Edited by Rhiannonjk, 11 August 2005 - 03:09 PM.

#15 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 03:14 PM

^that's not going to happen.  Everyone isn't going to do that, and even if everyone did - there are jobs that people do while still young, or while becoming doctors/lawyers/etc.

This summer, on a trip to Florida, I met a waiter at a place my family and I ate at.  The place was a dive - and was trying to be a dive.  They billed themselves as good food and nothing fancy. :)  The waiter told us that he had originally been a mortgage guy.  Made pretty good money - nice kind of office job, etc.  And... he quit, because he HATED the work, and was more suited for what he was doing now - being a waiter guy.  Truth was - it was really believable.  You couldn't have met a happier guy, nor a guy who was more of a people person - who needed more to be with people in a comfortable way.  He spent too much time at every table, laughed and played with all of his customers, ran a game involving all the customers at the restaurant - and you could tell he was loving his job.  We tipped him well, because the service was great, and we enjoyed his company.

It would be nice to have everyone find what they really want out of life that way - and not be afraid to have it....

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#16 Rhiannonjk

Rhiannonjk

Woof!

• Islander
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 03:19 PM

^I'm going to be that man one day.  Maybe as a masseuse, maybe as a waitress, maybe as something else, but I am *not* meant to be in an office (because I find distractions, like EI, and get nothing done)

so,

It would be nice to have everyone find what they really want out of life that way - and not be afraid to have it....
AMEN!

#17 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 06:49 PM

I was actually interested in what people thought of the public policy pundits who said that improving education and access to professional jobs for minorities was a bigger critical issue in these states because of the impact to state productivity.

QT

I think this concern ought to be across the board for ALL Americans. It's a problem we face as a country as a whole, why restrict it to just being concerned for one group? I've felt the education was woefully lacking for a long time and higher education is becoming increasingly unaffordable to even middle class families.

Edited by Lin731, 11 August 2005 - 06:50 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 08:46 AM

Corwin, on Aug 11 2005, 09:34 AM, said:

Now that I'm a minority can I have all those extra affirmative action perks?  :)

Corwin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LMAO!

Logically it IS only fair. However, I would much rather see us do away with affirmative action altogether. Affirmative action, IMO, is racism. It is giving one race a benefit, while denying that same benefit to other races.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#19 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 08:49 AM

QueenTiye, on Aug 11 2005, 09:43 AM, said:

African Americans, Hispanics, Asian-Americans, Indian Americans, Native Americans - all have some issues in common and some issues totally not in common. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those labels right there are what is wrong with this country. You don't hear people in other countries calling themselves American-Africans, American-Asians, ect. Bottom line is that if your a citizen of this country then you are AMERICAN. Why this political correct need to say African-American, Asain-American??? It does nothing but seperate the citizens of this country.

*sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread*
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#20 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 10:58 AM

What Rhea said, what LOTS said. (A black person in England is British, not African-British.  But it's the same race as a black person in the US.)

And there's a big difference between ethnic neighborhoods and ghettos.  Ghettos come about when the people don't learn English and try to climb out so are limited to low-wage blue-collar or no-collar jobs.  Ethnic neighborhoods exist when people cling to their traditions at home but have learned English and can function in the workplace of the country they live in.  IMO.

There was something in the Nashville paper yesterday about advertisers starting to advertise in English to Hispanic markets, figuring they reached more affluent people that way.  Sure hope that's a trend.

The language issue is at the heart of the problem.  Every other group that has immigrated to the US has learned English for school and workplace.  This hasn't prevented Greek communities, various African communities, Scandinavian communities, Chinese communities, etc. etc. etc.  Much as I love learning other languages, I refuse to learn Spanish to accommodate somebody I encounter in the workplace, a restaurant, a shop, wherever, who can't be bothered to learn enough English to do their job in English.  I'll brush up my Spanish when I go to Spain or Mexico. (yeah, I know it's different Spanish...)

I always felt like a minority when I went to the Glendale Galleria in LA - almost everybody seemed to be speaking a different language.  Which is fine when talking to each other.  I speak English to American travel companions when I'm in other countries.  But I take a stab at the local language when speaking to residents of the country.  

I also think affirmative action should be abolished.  The economy is in the pits and we have to import scientists.  Why should an employer have to hire somebody based on some kind of quota instead of the best person for the job?

Let's focus on education for everyone of every ethnic variation, including WASP majorities in a great deal of the South, and stop making it so easy for people to live their entire lives without having to learn  English.   An educated population is good for everyone.

Themis
Cats will never be extinct!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Texas, Non-White Majority, Hispanic Population, Latinos

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users