295 replies to this topic

#1 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 01:48 AM

Not to make some scare or a huge downer, but:

I hope you don't live in Gulfport, or New Orleans ...... have a look if you live along this blue coded coast .... they say Katrina is gathering up to Cat 4 by middle Sunday, and should come ashore in this blue area by noon Monday .... I wonder what motel rooms go for in Tupelo or Little Rock? might just wanna look into that
;)

Accuweather Katrina

keep a watch as things update on Accuweather com or your fave weather/storm channel
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#2 SilverNeonASH

SilverNeonASH
  • Islander
  • 387 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 02:34 AM

We got all the feeder bands and it knocked out power for two days.

#3 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 11:03 AM

This thing is shaping up to be one helluva storm. Right now sustained winds are 175 mph and they're expected to be 160 mph at landfall tomorrow morning. The projected path and strength of the storm indicate that this may very well be the "big one" that New Orleans has been dreading. The storm surge of 20-plus feet is more than enough to put the city under water.

I just hope everyone gets out of New Orleans and the surrounding area safely and soon. This looks bad.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#4 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 11:06 AM

New Orleans orders evacuation

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin declared a state of emergency on Sunday and ordered a mandatory evacuation of the city as Hurricane Katrina churned toward the city with maximum sustained winds of nearly 175 mph.

About 485,000 people live in the city, and many began evacuating before sunrise.

Blanco said that westbound traffic was heavy and that the state police was urging people to travel to the north or east.

Shelters have been set up at 10 sites, including the Superdome, for people who cannot leave the city for medical or other reasons, but Nagin said they should be used only as a "last resort."

The worse case scenarios for this one are pretty nasty.  That said in the usual manner the media could be playing up the potential gloom and doom.  Either way if it hits New Orleans right on it won't be pretty.

Just to show how much of a national impact this will have:  

Katrina cuts oil output by a third

The Gulf of Mexico is home to roughly a quarter of U.S. domestic oil and gas output, with a capacity to produce about 1.5 million barrels per day of crude and 12.3 billion cubic feet per day of gas.

As of Saturday, 563,000 barrels daily crude output had been shut in due to the threatening storm.

Shell Oil Co., which was evacuating all 1,019 of its offshore workers in the central and eastern Gulf on Saturday, had the bulk of closed Gulf daily oil production, with 420,000 barrels turned off.

"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#5 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 11:28 AM

My thoughts and prayers are with the people of New Orleans.

I don't want to even think about what this will do to the price of gas at the pump.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#6 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 11:43 AM

After the storm passes through, someone really should set up a check-in thread for all the ExIslers in the region to let the rest of us know they're all right, share their observations, and so forth.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#7 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 11:49 AM

A check-in thread is a good idea.

So is praying, if folks are the praying kind. I'm finding it hard to imagine what this will do to New Orleans. I'm hoping that I've just allowed myself to be alarmed by the alarmists.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#8 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 12:19 PM

AP - 18 minutes ago
NEW ORLEANS - Mayor Ray Nagin ordered an immediate evacuation Sunday for all of New Orleans, a city sitting below sea level with 485,000 inhabitants, as Hurricane Katrina bore down with wind revved up to nearly 175 mph and a threat of a massive storm surge. Acknowledging that large numbers of people, many of them stranded tourists, would be unable to leave, the city set up 10 places of last resort including the Superdome arena. "This is a once in a lifetime event," the mayor said. "The city of New Orleans has never seen a hurricane of this magnitude hit it directly."

"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#9 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 01:05 PM

WWLTV

Click on the watch live coverage link when you get there.

Scary

#10 Psyche

Psyche
  • Islander
  • 13,556 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 01:18 PM

^ I can't get anything to load. What did they say?

#11 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 01:29 PM

Put's on mod hat, waves arms, makes *woooo woooo woooo* sound

I've gone ahead and merged the 2 Katrina threads.  Anyone even remotely in that area, BE SAFE!  This one's going to be a very bad storm.  (I'm especially worried about New Orleans . . . )

#12 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 01:35 PM

Spectacles, on Aug 28 2005, 05:49 PM, said:

A check-in thread is a good idea.

So is praying, if folks are the praying kind. I'm finding it hard to imagine what this will do to New Orleans. I'm hoping that I've just allowed myself to be alarmed by the alarmists.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, this one really is a very dangerous storm.  My daughter is a geology major, including a class in ocean systems, and she is reeling off facts about how this compares to other dangerous storms so fast I can hardly keep up with what she's saying.  :pout:  

New Orleans and the whole gulf coast will be our prayers, for sure. :unsure:

Peridot

#13 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,747 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 02:21 PM

I'm in Natchez and we're gearing up a ham radio station for volunteers to monitor until this thing passes. We'll probably get a good chunk of her from the way the track is looking.

Traffic is already backed up from evacuees leaving New Orleans and surrounding areas. I know our hotels are already filled and I'm pretty sure the shelters won't be long filling up.

Hubby and I will be manning the radio some tonight and I'll be manning it in the morning, it's the least either of us can do, I just hope everyone in New Orleans heeded the evacuation orders.

Our son is in Hattiesburg, Mississippi and they're even further in the path of this storm than Natchez so I hope he evacs as soon as he gets off work and comes home, at least until this thing is over with.

#14 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 02:32 PM

I'm surprised that we don't see more direct military aid in getting people out of the city.  It looks like the National Guard is only be used in a limited manner.  On top of that I don't see any use of the military's lift capacity to get people out of the city.  At this point they should be using shelters like the Superdome as points to gather people and get them out.  On top of that they should be thinking about getting the USNS Comfort/Mercy  ready to get or underway to the area.  

Pascagoula Ships Sortie to Evade Hurricane Katrina

The frigates USS Stephen W. Groves (FFG 29) and USS John L. Hall (FFG 32) got underway from Naval Station Pascagoula, Miss., Aug. 26 in order to evade approaching Hurricane Katrina.

They may be trying to avoid the bulk of it but they are in for one heck of a ride for a Perry.  More than likely they'll be sucked back in to aid any ships that get stuck in the path of this monster.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""

#15 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 02:58 PM

^^

Unfortunately, a rather large chunk of the Louisiana National Guard, especially their heavy equipment, is currently deployed in Iraq.

http://abc26.trb.com...oll=wgno-news-1
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#16 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 03:11 PM

^Even with deployments to Iraq we should see more National Guard activity than this.  As noted in your article they have some personnel and equipment.  On top of that other states should be sending in their National Guard units to help.  The Navy should have the USNS Comfort along with other ships preparing to get underway to the area or underway.  

I get the sneaking feeling that they might be holding back on deploying too many military assets until the actual disaster strikes.
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz

#17 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 03:19 PM

CJ: I'm surprised that we don't see more direct military aid in getting people out of the city.

Or state and local police. It's pretty frustrating to see that gridlock. Tropical force winds are gonna be there before much longer....

#18 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 03:38 PM

My friend was heading west for Austin, Texas, and I suggested she turn east and come stay with me, but she hasn't called, so I'm assuming she got out all right.

She has four animals with her, and I'm all set up for pet visitors.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#19 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 03:46 PM

Spectacles, on Aug 28 2005, 03:19 PM, said:

CJ: I'm surprised that we don't see more direct military aid in getting people out of the city.

Or state and local police. It's pretty frustrating to see that gridlock. Tropical force winds are gonna be there before much longer....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thus far I'm very disappointed the in the response by the Federal and State Governments.  Getting some military vehicles whether airlift or ground into the evacuation would make a major difference and could probably get a few thousand more people clear.
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz

#20 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 03:50 PM

There are at least 10,000 people at the Superdome, either inside or waiting to get in.

When they say last resort, they mean it.

The local director of Homeland Security says that if you can drive to the Superdome - drive on out of town.

Because

It will flood - the first floor will be underwater.

The electricity will go out.

That means no A/c in a closed flooded building with thousands of people.

When it floods and the elecric goes out, that means the pumps go out - and there goes the plumbing (ie bathrooms, water fountains etc) No water except what is brought in.

No toilets except what they'll be able to jury rig

And there's no telling how long you'l be there either - storm is expected to last a good 12 hours.

And no one's quite sure what wind load the dome can handle - tests were done years ago, but that doesn't take into accounts the hi rises built nearby creating a wind tunnel effect. The highest speeds I've heard are 200 mph for the dome ... but I've also heard 135 mph.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, 2005

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users