• Please log in to reply
295 replies to this topic

#21 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 04:05 PM

Cardie, on Aug 28 2005, 03:38 PM, said:

My friend was heading west for Austin, Texas, and I suggested she turn east and come stay with me, but she hasn't called, so I'm assuming she got out all right.

She has four animals with her, and I'm all set up for pet visitors.

Cardie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good for you and for her, Cardie. I always worry as much about the animals as I do the people. Honestly, I don't understand how anyone could leave a pet behind. There's no way I could.

Shoshana: There are at least 10,000 people at the Superdome, either inside or waiting to get in.

Yeah, I just saw a segment on CNN covering that--and was horrified.

CJ: Thus far I'm very disappointed the in the response by the Federal and State Governments. Getting some military vehicles whether airlift or ground into the evacuation would make a major difference and could probably get a few thousand more people clear

You'd think so.
Also, I'm astonished at the lack of information. People were advised earlier that I-10 was gridlocked, so they all piled onto an alternative route. And now *that's* gridlocked and I-10 is beginning to move.

Isn't there some sort of emergency information plan? A radio station that relays information in an effort to coordinate the evacuation?

The one bit of good news is that the sustained winds have dropped to 165 mph., which is still Cat 5 by a longshot but at least it's showing some signs of weakening.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#22 Eskaminzim

Eskaminzim

Head eggs and butt toast

• Islander
  • 559 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 04:07 PM

Well, the winds are weakening but the barometric pressure is still dropping, which means the storm is intensifying despite the winds...which may be a simple reformaiton of the eye wall...or not.

#23 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 04:11 PM

Eska: Well, the winds are weakening but the barometric pressure is still dropping....

Yikes! That sucker was already two millibars worse than Camille earlier today. It's dropped further?
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#24 Eskaminzim

Eskaminzim

Head eggs and butt toast

• Islander
  • 559 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 04:19 PM

901-902

#25 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 04:31 PM

For those interested, the Labor Day storm was 892 mb (which hit that area); lowest recorded pressure for the US was Giilbert at 888 and worldwide was Typhoon Tip at 870.

I saw the Superdome footage too, of the people waiting outside, and it made me pretty nervous, especially when they said not everyone was bringing enough food/water.

What I don't understand is why I'm seeing interstates, or whatever that major divided highway being contraflowed was, following the path of a waterway, directly above the water.  

Another thing is cancelled flights; I'm thinking that the airlines could have helped the people there as well as their own image by flying people out, and that would have gotten more objects out of the way as well.  Anybody hear why that wasn't done, or that it was done?

CJ, I'm pretty confused on how they're doing this; they've already drafted urban S&R teams from as far away as New York, supposedly, but that's for after landfall.  I know that this caught people by surprise, but someone at FEMA was saying they'd been working on scenarios for a horrific storm like this for years, so... I'm still wondering about things like people being directed away from roads that are going to get hit first.  People are still driving along a beachfront road in Biloxi, MS, with winds and waves picking up.

One last thing.... (I've been watching too much coverage) is Lake Pontchartrain, just north of New Orleans.  It's higher in elevation than most of the city, and is about 40 mi by 25 mi; making me quite, quite concerned, because large parts of New Orleans are 5-10 ft below sea level, you know? :eek4:
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#26 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 04:36 PM

have had at least two tornado warnings in Alabama and Miss from the fringe storm bands of Katrina.

#27 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 04:40 PM

CNN just was talking about an outdoor aquarium in Miss.  The operators of course were very worried about the marine creatures that live there, so in a novel solution, they are going to be moving their dolphins, sea lions etc.  to a hotel swimming pool father inland at a better elevation, so they can ride out the storm there.

#28 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 04:51 PM

Anakam: Another thing is cancelled flights; I'm thinking that the airlines could have helped the people there as well as their own image by flying people out, and that would have gotten more objects out of the way as well. Anybody hear why that wasn't done, or that it was done?

I was wondering the same. Looks to me like you'd want every possible means of transporting people out of there to be available.

I'm starting to get sick looking at the people in line to get into the Superdome, reading about the those who are stranded, thinking about Lake Ponchartrain spilling over into New Orleans. And consider that the floodwaters running off inland will be rolling down the Mississippi, too....Seeing anyone in New Orleans right now is like seeing someone stuck on railroad tracks with a freight train barrelling at them.... All we can do right now is hope like crazy that this thing weakens.

#29 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 05:38 PM

there's a quite a few people in line at the superdome that, when asked, said they didn't want to deal with 'too much traffic' to get the hell outta town.

jeez

#30 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 05:44 PM

It's a catagory 5 and they are talking about 15 to 30 billion dollars damage

Strom surges of 28 feet...A potential repeat of the great Galveston hurricane...and there are surfers in the water off the the Alabama coast!

Edited by Shalamar, 28 August 2005 - 05:46 PM.

The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#31 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 05:48 PM

I just don't know what to say.  I'm worried for the folks who didn't leave.  Sure hope those who did get somewhere safe.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#32 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 06:03 PM

Shalamar, on Aug 28 2005, 11:44 PM, said:

It's a catagory 5 and they are talking about 15 to 30 billion dollars damage

Strom surges of 28 feet...A potential repeat of the great Galveston hurricane...and there are surfers in the water off the the Alabama coast!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:wacko:

Jim Cantore from The Weather Channel, who's out in Biloxi, was getting pretty upset (for him) about people who didn't seem to be paying attention to the evacuations and were just driving around.  I think that totally beats what he had, though.  They're talking about rip currents in Texas; very locally high waves in the Florida panhandle and no doubt the Mississippi and Alabama coasts too, and higher than usual waves along Florida's west coast.

I do think that this isn't just the hurricane doing things unexpectedly.  Some of it really is complacency or sheer foolishness.
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#33 Psyche

Psyche
  • Islander
  • 13,556 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 06:29 PM

I saw the segment about the Superdome... all those people waiting to get in, too. What they should have been doing was having National Guard people searching bags all down the line so they could move faster.

#34 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 06:31 PM

Actually, what I think they should have been doing was not have a situation where the mayor of New Orleans is worried about liability should he order an evacuation and nothing happen... :wacko:

But yeah, if it's like this, then maybe they could split up the lines?  Although I think they may have more people w/out special needs than they expected.

#35 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 06:41 PM

The tv news casters in New Orleans are sounding very troubled, many of them are long time vetrans of gulf coast storms, and they say this one feels different.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#36 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 06:45 PM

Yeah, almost everyone's been saying it's like nothing anyone's been through, worst they've ever seen, etc.

Not really what you want to see heading toward New Orleans, of all places.  No good place for a Cat5, obviously, but that's at the bottom of the list.

#37 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 06:54 PM

New Orleans is a great place for food, drinks and fun, but governmental competence has never been one of its strong suits.  The tales of police corruption, government graft, etc, are legend.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#38 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 07:41 PM

I know people at other boards who have been thru Betsy, Audrey and Camille (weathercasters, military) and Katrina has got them really scared...

#39 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 07:51 PM

Anakam: Actually, what I think they should have been doing was not have a situation where the mayor of New Orleans is worried about liability should he order an evacuation and nothing happen... :wacko:

Oh for Pete's sake....Is that why he waited until late this morning? I had wondered about that.

Also, as Cardie points out, the general corruption and ineptness of New Orleans has probably contributed to this.

What I find terribly sad are the elderly and infirm and poor children who are being herded into the Superdome, which may or may not withstand the winds. God, we'd better hope that thing holds up....

#40 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 07:54 PM

Shoshana, on Aug 28 2005, 07:41 PM, said:

I know people at other boards who have been thru Betsy, Audrey and Camille (weathercasters, military) and Katrina has got them really scared...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What's worrying me, among many things right now, is how deep New Orleans will flood. If the pumping equipment is submerged, one estimate has the city flooded for six months.

And people who are in New Orleans and the immediate area are in for one helluva ride.

Well, I'm going to head offline and watch some more news and get even more worried...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, 2005

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users