73 replies to this topic

#1 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 07:22 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9102443/

the so-called "Reverend" Phelps disgusts me, as do his brainwashed family members, which is all their "church" consists of.  free speech or not, they have NO business harassing people in mourning.

i know from previous articles this all started when someone supposedly bombed their meeting building.  maybe it was someone sick of their homophobic nastiness.  but of course they can't understand that now can they? :sarcasm:

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#2 GoldenCoal

GoldenCoal

Not Fool's Gold

• Islander
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 08:14 PM

The church, which is not affiliated with a larger denomination, is made up mostly of Phelps’ children, grandchildren and in-laws.

Can you say: cult? That guy seems kinda nuts, and of course it was ridiculously bad taste for them to protest a funeral. Sigh...

#3 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 10:28 PM

How? How did he get a permit to protest? What idiot would say it was okay to go to a funeral and basically attack those in mourning?

As for Phelps, there is nothing I can say here that comes to mind, it would simply be all ***'s.

Can we all say the word, 'insane'?
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#4 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 11:14 PM

GC, their excuse is that because they assume whoever blew up their meetings of hate hall was gay, God is supposedly punishing the soldiers who go to Iraq.

as @#$@# IF.

i don't see how the cities can GIVE these permits to these disgusting individuals.  they have the right to deny them--they SHOULD deny them.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#5 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 11:32 PM

Of all the loons, Fred Phelps is the worst.  He is a public forum nightmare.  He is one of the reasons why certain things can't be in public forums because if they are, then he has the right to spout his kind of foul hatred there too.

I don't care if he hates gay people.  I care that he advocates the death of all gay people and all people that don't have a problem with gay people.  Phelps thinks America is a "fag enabler" and his god is punishing America by the soldiers being killed in Iraq.  He wants to march with his hate message at ever soldier's funeral as well as at every gay person's funeral.  He also wants to put his hate message in every public place telling everyone they should kill gay people or die along with gay people.

The man and his family are beyond crazy.

#6 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 11:53 PM

If there was ever someone God needed to "smite" it's Phelps. What a hateful, loathsome, excuse for a humanbeing. He's just lucky none of the mourners at the gay funerals he pickets have rammed his signs where only God could remove them. He's a disgrace to Christianity and if he's a "real" reverend he needs to be stripped of that title.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 12:50 AM

^ oh he and his will be in for a VERY rude awakening come their time of Judgement :snirkage:

not to mention he should be behind bars for abusing his children (some have escaped the cult and gone forward with their stories) and not out preaching his disgusting hate.

Posted Image

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#8 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 06:50 AM

The Rev. Fred Phelps, founder of Westboro Baptist in Kansas, contends that American soldiers are being killed in Iraq as vengeance from God for protecting a country that harbors gays. The church, which is not affiliated with a larger denomination, is made up mostly of Phelps’ children, grandchildren and in-laws.
I'm glad somebody's blowing the whistle on his membership roster.  :blink:  

The church members carried signs and shouted things such as “God hates fags” and “God hates you.”
Heck, I've had "God hates you" screamed at me, just because I'm disabled.  It's popular among the nutbag bigot masses of Orange County, CA.  :angry:

About 10 church members protested near Smyrna United Methodist Church and nearly 20 stood outside the National Guard Armory in Ashland City. Members have demonstrated at other soldier funerals across the nation.
These are the subhuman whackjobs who mustered for Matthew Shepherd's funeral.  They've been doing this for years.  :angry:

So many counterdemonstrators were gathered in Ashland City that police, sheriff’s deputies and state troopers were brought in to control traffic and protect the protesters.
Waste of police resources.  :angry:  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#9 Smiley

Smiley

harumph

• Islander
  • 937 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 08:08 AM

Well if Pat Robertson ever runs for president again I think we found his running mate. This guy is pathetic. I remember an episode of *The Awful Truth* where an RV of gay guys parked and taunted Phelps' and his lackies. It was pretty good. As for God punishing America, if he is, it is by letting this guy survive.
Friends are just enemies that don't have the guts to kill you.
See Ya Space Cowboy

#10 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 08:34 AM

http://www.thelocal....8&date=20050819

The Swedish royal family has brought in the lawyers against a fundamentalist preacher in Kansas who said that the royal children look “slutty and gay”.

Sweden first came to his attention last year, when pastor Åke Green was convicted under hate crimes legislation for a sermon on homosexuality.

This inspired Phelps to start a website called God Hates Sweden, on which he refers to Sweden as a “land of sodomy, bestiality and incest.”

Now Phelps has turned his attention to the royal family. He says that Princesses Madeleine and Victoria and Prince Carl Philip “look slutty and gay”. Using obscene language, he implies that King Carl Gustaf is gay.

every time I hear about things like this, I wonder about Phelps. He seems to be getting more and more unhinged.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#11 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 09:27 AM

Maybe they can do something about this:

Sweden's News in English

Minister of hate to "hunt down" Swedish king

The fanatical American Baptist minister, Fred Phelps, is on his way to Sweden.

"We'll hunt down your king," he said ominously to Expressen. "It doesn't make any difference where he tries to hide."

Phelps' hatred of the royal family and all things Swedish is linked directly to his equally virulent hatred of homosexuals. He praises homophobic crimes, including murder. When controversial Swedish minister, Åke Green, was convicted of inciting hatred of homosexuals following an anti-gay sermon, Phelps saw red and turned his attention to Sweden.

"You're doomed to spend eternity in hell," he continued. "All you Swedes and your Swedish king and his family."

The minister and twenty members of his congregation from the Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kansas, are planning to come to Sweden at the beginning of September. They are bringing plenty of placards in order to spread their message that Sweden is the cradle of all evil and that the king rules a nation of sodomites.

King Carl Gustaf is their primary target.

"Your king represents your doomed country and we'll find him wherever he may be."

Phelps claims that Sweden deserved to suffer in the Boxing Day tsunami catastrophe in southern Asia and has designed a monument to 'celebrate' the deaths of over 500 Swedes in Thailand.

The royal household regards the proposed visit as a serious risk and has increased security around the king and the royal family.

"We'll be informing Säpo of this," said royal spokeswoman, Ann-Christine Jernberg.

So, should Sweden laugh, cry or take Fred Phelps seriously? Expressen columnist, Lars Lindström, is in no doubt that this is no joke.

"If he were a cartoon character, I'd laugh. But now I just feel ill. Minister Fred Phelps has such extreme views that even the Christian far right in the USA feel a bit queasy."

Lindström argues that it isn't just singled out Sweden that's exercised about Phelps, but that he attracts a lot of attention in his home country.

"Phelps has eleven lawyers fighting for his constitutional right to cast the objects of his hatred to the fires of hell. To dismiss him as a village idiot is to take the easy way out."

"With friends like Fred Phelps, Åke Green doesn't need a single enemy," concludes Lindström.
With any luck, the Swedes will find a way to get this jerk and his looney minions off the streets, and keep them off till they're ready to find out just how angry their deity is with them.  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  

Nonny
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#12 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 10:20 AM

^ they're GOING TO SWEDEN knowing Sweden has a law against homophobic actions?

:howling:

oh this is going to be rich....one word out of Phelps' filthy mouth threatening the royal family and he and his family will likely be thrown into the nearest dark prison cell and the key tossed into a fjord.

and there won't be anything anyone here can do about it.  :snirk:

"Phelps has eleven lawyers fighting for his constitutional right to cast the objects of his hatred to the fires of hell. To dismiss him as a village idiot is to take the easy way out."

at this point i don't care about free speech.  he has no right to it when he preaches threats mixed in with his nasty words.

Posted Image

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#13 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 10:49 AM

Cheile, on Aug 29 2005, 07:20 AM, said:

^ they're GOING TO SWEDEN knowing Sweden has a law against homophobic actions?

:howling:

oh this is going to be rich....one word out of Phelps' filthy mouth threatening the royal family and he and his family will likely be thrown into the nearest dark prison cell and the key tossed into a fjord.

and there won't be anything anyone here can do about it.  :snirk:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, he probably thinks his American lawyers have standing anywhere he's standing, but I bet he's stuck his foot in it this time.  :rolleyes:

Gode, what a fascinating website!  Look what else I found at the Local:  

Published: 16th August 2005  19:02 CET
"Loan a lesbian" idea to promote tolerance

If you're one of those people who thinks all lesbians are sexually frustrated or all animal rights activists aggressive, then a Swedish library project that allows you to "borrow" a real live human being rather than a book may provide some useful insight.

The Living Library project will enable people to come face-to-face with their prejudices in the hopes of altering their preconceived notions, Ulla Brohed of the Malmö Library in southern Sweden told AFP.

"You sometimes hear people's prejudices and you realize that they are just uninformed," she said.

This weekend, nine people, including a homosexual, an imam, a journalist, a Muslim woman and a gypsy, will be available at the Malmö Library for members of the public to "borrow" for a 45 minute conversation in the library's outdoor cafe.

"Maybe not all journalists are know-it-all and sensationalist, just unafraid and curious. Maybe not all animal rights activists are angry and intolerant, but intelligent and committed," she said.

The nine "items" on loan were not hard to find, Brohed said, but admitted that they would be paid "a small sum" for their efforts.

If the project is a success, the Malmö Library may run it again later this year.
I like it!  :)  

Nonny

Edited by Nonny, 29 August 2005 - 10:50 AM.

Posted Image

#14 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 11:14 AM

^ hey that's a cool idea.  i like it too.

Posted Image

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#15 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 12:30 PM

How is this idiot going to get through Swedish immigration???

Themis
Cats will never be extinct!

#16 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 01:30 PM

I think I have just one comment that's printable.....

God Bless the Folks in Smyrna, Tennesee!

...for chasing the Phelps crowd out of town.

No, on second thought, I have two.....one of the most toxic things about this individual and his statements and actions is that he and his group are not only engaging in absolutely hateful behavior themselves----they really do make other people want to be hateful too.

I admire the people of this town not only for the courage to chase this....this....Phelps out, but for the wisdom to stop there.

Peridot

#17 darthsikle

darthsikle
  • Dead account
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 01:34 PM

the dead guy didn't mind
Goodbye.

#18 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 01:44 PM

Nonny, thank you for mentioning Matthew Shepherd--I think that's when this whack-job first came to the attention of most people.  

Imagine the mental process necessary to conclude, "Let's go heckle the parents and loved-ones while they bury a kid who was cruficied."  And imagine how retarded they must be to MISS the irony--After all, they think this is the CHRISTIAN thing to do.  Uh-hem!

At the time of Shepherd's funeral, I didn't think Phelps would ever be able to top it (so to speak) -- then 9/11 happened.  Phelps decided it was God's revenge on Secular America -- and that he had to tell us so.  

So he and his in-bred brood came to Manhattan and set up shop on the West Side Highway at Christopher Street (incidentally, a gay landmark), about a half mile or so above Ground Zero, where thousands of relief workers were at that time being headquartered.  

Yep--that's right--Phelps protested the 9/11 rescue/relief efforts.  (And praises 9/11 itself).

I'm happy to hear he was driven away by these people in Tennessee -- and this isn't the first time.  It seems to be happening more and more as Phelps' reputation begins to precede him.  

I suspect that he will end up charged with inciting a riot -- *if* he survived (since the rioters would be out for his blood).  

Which I'm not advocating, but it WOULD be a suitably Biblical ending to the "man."

Edited by _ph, 29 August 2005 - 01:46 PM.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#19 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 02:47 PM

darthsikle, on Aug 29 2005, 07:34 PM, said:

the dead guy didn't mind

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

of course he didn't. Only the living grieve after all, and it's their anger that we are discussing here.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#20 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Harbinger of The Abyss

• Dead account
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 03:16 PM

Cheile said:

at this point i don't care about free speech. he has no right to it when he preaches threats mixed in with his nasty words.

Stop right there.

As much as I think this guy is a complete lunatic, he has every right under the law to say what he wants so long as he doesn't directly incite someone to commit a crime.

Whether or not you like or can even stomach his hate speech, he's covered by the 1st just like you are.
The Future...Unless Things Change.

And how am I to face the odds, of man's bedevilment and God's, I a stranger and afraid in a world I never made?A.E. Housman (1859-1936)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Religion, Fred Phelps, Demonstrations, Funerals

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users