73 replies to this topic

#61 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 08:56 PM

Aurelius, on Aug 31 2005, 04:48 PM, said:

Here's a direct quote, apologies to anyone offended (and i know I was and I'm not American, gay or anything connected)

Thank God for Katrina - New Orleans, symbol of America, seen for what it is: a putrid, toxic, stinking cesspool of fag fecal matter.† "It is a sin NOT to rejoice when God executes His wrath and vengeance upon America" "Pray for more dead bodies floating on the fag-semen-rancid waters of New Orleans."

How unbelieveably twisted it this.  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

And these "people" (although that word barely applies to such) have the audacity and the nerve to say that God supports them!!!! Sickening.

A thoroughly disgusted Hail All
Aurelius

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:boggle:

they aren't "people", Aurelius.  they're freaks.  and that's all i can say without saying words not permitted here on the Isle.  :glare:

maybe the next tornado that rips through Kansas will take the whole lot of them out if we're lucky.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#62 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Harbinger of The Abyss

• Dead account
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 08:58 PM

Cheile, on Aug 31 2005, 07:56 PM, said:

they aren't "people", Aurelius.  they're freaks.  and that's all i can say without saying words not permitted here on the Isle.  :glare:

maybe the next tornado that rips through Kansas will take the whole lot of them out if we're lucky.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mindboggling.  That's exactly what Phelps and his lot are saying about gays.
The Future...Unless Things Change.

And how am I to face the odds, of man's bedevilment and God's, I a stranger and afraid in a world I never made? ó A.E. Housman (1859-1936)

#63 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 08:58 AM

The Masked Coyote, on Aug 31 2005, 05:58 PM, said:

they aren't "people", Aurelius.  they're freaks.  and that's all i can say without saying words not permitted here on the Isle.  :glare:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Really?  I thought it was a rather mild reaction to the shock of reading Phelps in the raw.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#64 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 04:27 PM

Here's another example of something "mindboggling."

Sean Hannity covered this on his radio show--and used it as an opportunity to hammer the "anti-war left." I kid you not. Of course, in order to do that, he had to mislead his audience about the real nature of the protest. But all's fair in propaganda.

http://mediamatters....ms/200508310004

From the August 30 broadcast of ABC Radio Networks' The Sean Hannity Show:

HANNITY: Let me read to you from Indianapolis. Headline: "Funeral for fallen Hoosier soldier brought some unwanted guests." Let me read this. Now, put this in the context of the story we did for you last week about Code Pink and about how Code Pink was protesting in front of Walter Reed Medical Center. Remember, they had their "Maimed for Lies" signs and "Enlist Here and Die for Halliburton" signs? And this is where these soldiers come back to try and get their lives together after receiving these awful, often life-threatening wounds. And yet, these people with political agendas are outside Walter Reed Medical Center protesting. And my point to them was, "Hey, look, if you want to protest, let's leave the injured soldiers alone, they need time to recuperate. Take it to the White House. Take it to some other area."

So anyway, the story in Indianapolis goes like this, quote: "Emotions ran high for an Army soldier's funeral in Martinsville on Sunday. Sgt. Jeremy Doyle's sacrifice brought many out to honor him, but also sparked a standoff on a city street. People arriving to say goodbye to a hometown hero met an altogether different scene in Martinsville, as demonstrators dragging American flags on the ground and holding signs opposing U.S. troops. 'The thing that got us here is that Sergeant Doyle died for us to give us our freedom, and then you have people like this come. It's absurd,' one funeral attendee told News 8 in Indianapolis. Tensions grew before demonstrations [sic: demonstrators] finally left their location right across the street from Army Sgt. Jeremy Doyle's funeral service. According to the group's website, it sees America's -- Americans' deaths in Iraq as a kind of punishment for social misdeeds. Martinsville residents said that the protesters picked the wrong time in the wrong town to express their views. Which rightfully -- so they have their freedom of expression. Nobody's going to take that away from them, but there is a time and a place for this kind of thing, and it's certainly not here today."

Now, who's Jeremy Doyle? Well, he died along with three other soldiers on August the 18th, when their Humvee hit a landmine on an Iraqi highway. This guy died for all of us. His final journey was a procession down Main Street, past the courthouse square. "'If I had to lose a son, if I had to lose one, I'd -- I'd rather it be serving our country,' his father explained. The protesters were headquartered in Kansas. They traveled across the country to demonstrate against a soldier." And you know something? I guess this is just another example of how the anti-war left supports our brave troops. 'Cause isn't that what they always say? They're disrupting the funeral, tormenting a grieving family. Can you believe I even have to bring this story to the airwaves? And creating an incredible spectacle in the middle of an occasion to honor a guy who died serving his country? But of course, they're supporting our troops. They're not supporting them; they're targeting our troops!

What's the difference between this or protesting outside the entrance to Walter Reed, where our wounded soldiers go to recover? I mean, these sol -- just can't believe that our soldiers and our -- and their families have to endure this pathetic atta -- these pathetic attacks, these chants, these posters as they enter and leave a hospital.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#65 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 08:52 PM

Nonny, on Sep 1 2005, 06:58 AM, said:

The Masked Coyote, on Aug 31 2005, 05:58 PM, said:

they aren't "people", Aurelius.† they're freaks.† and that's all i can say without saying words not permitted here on the Isle.† :glare:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Really?  I thought it was a rather mild reaction to the shock of reading Phelps in the raw.  

Nonny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Coyote, please go troll somewhere else.  Phelps and his cult of inbreds would be better off dead instead of existing purely to give REAL Christians a bad name and incite hate crimes.

though perhaps it will take them disrupting a funeral of someone you care about or celebrating the death of someone you care about by sticking a counter on their website saying "______ has been burning in hell for XXX days" for you to see the light.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#66 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Harbinger of The Abyss

• Dead account
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 09:45 PM

I was led to believe that the "t" word wasn't to be thrown around like that.

I was simply pointing out that your level of...what's the appropriate word?...intolerance of other viewpoints roughly parallels Phelps' and his gaggle-o-freaks.  It's interesting to me how supposedly divergent viewpoints rarely are divergent...an example would be the Nazis and the Communists during WWII.

Twain was right.  History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.

Edited by The Masked Coyote, 01 September 2005 - 09:51 PM.

The Future...Unless Things Change.

And how am I to face the odds, of man's bedevilment and God's, I a stranger and afraid in a world I never made? ó A.E. Housman (1859-1936)

#67 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 09:54 PM

Moderatorís Helmet On
Comments in this thread have come close to or have violated the guidelines.  I suggest that everyone get off the topic of discussing each other and get back to the topic of discussing the thread.  OT is a discussion forum it isnít a forum for airing your negative feeling about your fellow posters.
Moderatorís Helmet Off
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#68 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 10:02 PM

I have to say that I don't think Coyote has trolled in this thread.  He was pointing out (rightly so imo) the irony of classifying Phelps and his ilk as unhuman in light of the fact that Phelps and his ilk engage in precisely the same kind of extreme judgment.  

Unfortunately HUMANS are capable of quite a lot of things that it might be easier to deny as human by dehumanizing those who do such things.  The danger in that is underestimating the human potential for evil.  It's the kind of thing that helped people be so resistant to the idea of some of the greater atrocities committed in history (see how I'm not Godwinizing the thread?  I think I've grown...).

Honest Cheile, in this case I think you're being a bit unfair.  You're entitled to your opinion but people are entitled to disagree too.
Posted Image

#69 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:23 AM

if this is an episode of friends, it's the one where Phelps officially loses it

http://www.godhatesf...g-of-sweden.pdf

This is from his own website mind you, but I have a hard time accepting it as real. He basically threatens the king of Sweden, calls him and his family gay, and then demands political protection for his visit.

I truly believe he is going insane.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#70 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:46 AM

Godeskian, on Sep 2 2005, 08:23 AM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*Going?* :eh:

I'd say he's long out of the park.

Edited by Jid, 02 September 2005 - 10:46 AM.

cervisiam tene rem specta

#71 Nialla

Nialla
  • Islander
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 01:07 PM

Jid, on Sep 2 2005, 09:46 AM, said:

Godeskian, on Sep 2 2005, 08:23 AM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*Going?* :eh:

I'd say he's long out of the park.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Park? He's not on the same planet. Probably not even the same galaxy.
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffled their pockets for new vocabulary."
~ James D. Nicoll

#72 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 06:28 PM

He was pointing out (rightly so imo) the irony of classifying Phelps and his ilk as unhuman in light of the fact that Phelps and his ilk engage in precisely the same kind of extreme judgment.

i find it interesting that many others have echoed my sentiment yet i'm targeted for quoting.  perhaps they should think how those families feel--their mourning is disrupted by these examples of slime from the gutter.

as for said sentiment, if the shoe fits, Phelps and his cult should wear it.  they have no right disrupting funerals, which is the original topic of this thread.

Posted Image

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#73 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 07:13 PM

They have no moral right to disrupt funerals.  They probably have no right to trespass on private property.  They DO have a right to voice their opinion, disruptive or not.  

As for you being targetted, I'm sorry you feel that way but you started the thread and the mere fact that someone disagrees with you does not mean you are being targetted.  Just a thought.

Lil
Posted Image

#74 Heropa

Heropa

Phantom of the Obtuse - Pubic Defender

• Islander
  • 474 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 10:32 AM

You, you, you! Enough about yous.
OK, here's the "dance" they do... Most states have laws against the impediment of funerals so they don't touch them. They heckle, they shout, they hold signs. All these protected acts are legal as long as they happen without getting in the way going TO the funeral and burial. Just because they can't see beyond sex, just because they can't see a mother and father have lost a child, they think it's their "job" to make them feel worse.
What makes it more evil is that they're almost wanting somebody to lash out at them so they can hop up on their high horse and call THEM evil. Yet their target of hate isn't likely to deal out the kind of "reply" they deserve. Mourners. If they protested like that at a clan or panthers meeting half of them would get shot. Maybe they should go to New York and protest a "Mafia" Catholic church? See if they make it out of town?
On the "rev." himself, have you ever seen a video of him? You know he's nuts by how little he blinks.  :eek4: When he looks around he has no eyelids if he's not blinking either. That's how to spot the nutjobs, when their eyes bug out so open they can only see what they want to see. I wouldn't be surprised to find them in the news some day with purple veils over their faces, castrated and in matching suits while being hauled to the morgue. (Yes, I think they're another sick cult.)
Your Heropa.
Here for something- there you go.

If you can't say anything nice, be accurate.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Religion, Fred Phelps, Demonstrations, Funerals

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users