• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#41 Eskaminzim

Eskaminzim

Head eggs and butt toast

• Islander
  • 559 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 04:13 PM

Well, if it's a rumor, then gas stations are taking it seriously, because like I said, these women went from station to station before they could find one with open pumps.  Hope someone nips that particular dealie in the bud right quick.

#42 Rhiannonjk

Rhiannonjk

Woof!

• Islander
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 04:16 PM

hm... perhaps it's not a rumor...

***Is easily distracted***

#43 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 04:29 PM

I'm hearing stuff online about gas in Georgia, but they haven't mentioned Mississippi or 'Bama yet.   Here's something on Georgia.   Looks like there's a problem, but that it'd be manageable if people weren't being stupid.  Unfortunately, nothing stops the thundering herd.

I've also heard that CNN is reporting people charging $4.99 a gallon in Georgia.  Talk about looting!  Price gougers are scum.

Anyway, I'm with our UPS guy:  "It's all mass hysteria.  If we run out of gas, we just won't go anywhere.  Why panic?  We'll all just stay home and watch TV."  :)   We need more people like the UPS guy.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#44 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 04:48 PM

My friend works for the City of Asheville, driving one of their sweeper trucks, or something like that. He had today off because the city is trying to conserve fuel. I have a trans-am and a Nissan Armada. My Armada has about 3/4ths fuel, trans-am is full...so I'm just rationing when I go out, combining all errands into one round trip, ect.

Also, the gas stations here have started shutting down the pumps when you reach $35.00 dollars. To try and conserve the fuel.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#45 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,654 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 06:51 PM

This is happening in Georgia and South Carolina, too, all because of panic-mongering.  I have a full tank now but hope I can get enough gas to get back from Atlanta, where I'm spending Labor Day weekend.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#46 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 07:50 PM

Cardie, on Aug 31 2005, 07:51 PM, said:

This is happening in Georgia and South Carolina, too, all because of panic-mongering.  I have a full tank now but hope I can get enough gas to get back from Atlanta, where I'm spending Labor Day weekend.

Cardie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gas  in  Atlanta is up to $3.50 a gal. and short supply at that...
Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#47 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 09:06 PM

i dunno if this was mentioned in the hurricane thread but while at the parents' house tonight (i'm watching the cat whilst they're in Hawaii), i watched the MSNBC show Countdown.  there was a clip on the looting and one of the newspeople in NO went into a Wally World supercenter that had been/was being looted.

hate to break it to y'all, but the police were even looting!  the convo went something like this:

news guy:  you're here for the looters right?
black police chick:  that's right.
NG:  well there are looters here.... :camera pans to the various ppl grabbing everything in sight:
BPC:  that's right.
NG:  aren't you gonna arrest them?
BPC:  :while her partner pushes a FULL cart:  what are you doin' here??
NG:  i'm a news reporter....
BPC:  you're in the store ain't ya?

they didn't blur out her or her partner's face so i hope when the city's cleaned up that the mayor fires them both if they're actually serious abt stopping the looting.  :smirk:

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#48 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 09:09 PM

Cheile, on Aug 31 2005, 09:06 PM, said:

i dunno if this was mentioned in the hurricane thread but while at the parents' house tonight (i'm watching the cat whilst they're in Hawaii), i watched the MSNBC show Countdown.  there was a clip on the looting and one of the newspeople in NO went into a Wally World supercenter that had been/was being looted.

hate to break it to y'all, but the police were even looting!  the convo went something like this:

news guy:  you're here for the looters right?
black police chick:  that's right.
NG:  well there are looters here.... :camera pans to the various ppl grabbing everything in sight:
BPC:  that's right.
NG:  aren't you gonna arrest them?
BPC:  :while her partner pushes a FULL cart:  what are you doin' here??
NG:  i'm a news reporter....
BPC:  you're in the store ain't ya?

they didn't blur out her or her partner's face so i hope when the city's cleaned up that the mayor fires them both if they're actually serious abt stopping the looting.  :smirk:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You've got to be kidding! Fired! Not only do I want those two fired I want them in prison, perferably placed in the general population.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#49 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 09:16 PM

^ i swear on my cat's life i'm telling the truth.  Martin Savidge (said aforementioned news guy) looked pretty flabbergasted.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#50 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 09:20 PM

hate to break it to y'all, but the police were even looting! the convo went something like this:

That's disgraceful beyond words. That B*^$% and her partner in crime, should end up in a jail cell along with being fired.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#51 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 09:34 PM

^^^^While I'm pretty sure that's the proper course with these two it should be remembered that the declaration of emergency gives civil authorities the right to commandeer needed materials.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#52 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 10:03 PM

^ if that was the case, she could have said so.  she was pretty snotty IMNSHO to Martin Savidge.  i couldn't quite tell what was in their cart.  i just saw various nameless looters.  some had necessaries (clothes, shoes, gallons of water), and then i saw one guy carrying like fifteen expensive fishing poles.

Posted Image

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#53 ZipperInt

ZipperInt
  • Islander
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 10:50 PM

After following the link Anarch posted here,
http://www.exisle.ne...ndpost&p=682568

I've read more than one account of police officers joining in with the looters - and I don't think they were getting food/supplies for the people they are supposed to be helping.
The second greatest podcast in the history of ever:
http://geeksonaplain.blogspot.com/

#54 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,654 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 10:51 PM

The New Orleans police are notoriously crooked.  They take bribes, several were even involved in a big gang murder some years back.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#55 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 10:55 PM

Cardie, on Aug 31 2005, 10:51 PM, said:

The New Orleans police are notoriously crooked.  They take bribes, several were even involved in a big gang murder some years back.

Cardie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Then these crocked officer not only need to go to jail, they need to be place in general population, and let every prisoner know that they were police. That should give them something else to do besides plan their next crime.

#56 Enkanowen

Enkanowen
  • Islander
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 11:00 PM

yea here in canada they are raising gas prices as well because of the 'shortage'.It is disgusting what petrol companies will exploit for their own sake. There is no such thing as a shortage happening, people are just using it as an excuse.

#57 UoR11

UoR11
  • Islander
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 01:19 AM

Enkanowen, on Aug 31 2005, 10:00 PM, said:

yea here in canada they are raising gas prices as well because of the 'shortage'.It is disgusting what petrol companies will exploit for their own sake. There is no such thing as a shortage happening, people are just using it as an excuse.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is a legitimate shortage going on. The Oil Port survived, but it has no power, and the refining capasity is severly damaged. There's gas now, but currently demand is wildly outstripping supply, which always leds to price increases.
Yes, I am an economist. Yes, I do frequently sing "Can't Buy Me Love". No, I don't see any contradiction there.

#58 Enkanowen

Enkanowen
  • Islander
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 02:14 AM

UoR11, on Sep 1 2005, 02:19 AM, said:

There is a legitimate shortage going on. The Oil Port survived, but it has no power, and the refining capasity is severly damaged. There's gas now, but currently demand is wildly outstripping supply, which always leds to price increases.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oil production is capped by the companies. They have the capacity to refine up to four times as much as they are refining now. So other refineries could just pick up the slack. It is a ploy and profiteering.

#59 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,551 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 03:58 AM

Spoiler: click to show/hide

D'Monix, on Aug 31 2005, 11:38 AM, said:

Lin731, on Aug 31 2005, 03:53 PM, said:

Lin, I'm sorry but you can not blame the state's absolutely inept disaster plan on the war in Iraq, or the US military. Louisianna has never been known for planning anything well, and has deliberately, or so it seems, ignored the fact that NO is/was a disaster waiting to happen.

I'm really not trying to lay it all at the feet of the Iraq war. There's plenty of blame to go around to be sure and at the top of the list in the inept response of the state. I'm only saying that we seem to be short on equipement and manpower that could have been used HERE if it weren't THERE. I'm also confused about why we didn't have ships moving into position before the Hurricane hit (given the potential of flooding) and how much of the state is below sea level or more efforts to evacuate residence via military transports and the like prior to the Hurricane making land and now in the wake of it. That makes zero sense to me. I'll grant you that the level of devastation is beyond what anyone expected but it appears that much of what could have been done, wasn't done at the state or Federal levels.

No more than 50% of all National Guard Units CANNOT be deployed overseas due to the regulations under which the Guard work, the other half stays home exactly for reasons like this. 19 states are activating guard units to send down to the disaster area already, with more likely.  In total, the Guard can activate up to over 337,000 troops and their equipment.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think all the states that want to start sending their troops out to help better rethink that.  With gas prices skyrocketing and shortages already being reported, general civil unrest is bound to start taking place.  How much people and the media begin playing the fear and frightened card will determine how much of a problem this will become.  You will begin to see more and more gas companies getting ripped off at the pumps ("drive-offs") and being assaulted (as if it's their fault for the prices).  It may be a far chance of things getting so bad that the N.G. needs to be called in, but one has to be prepared and having them 600-2000 miles away isn't practical.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#60 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,551 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 04:10 AM

Anastashia, on Aug 31 2005, 09:34 PM, said:

^^^^While I'm pretty sure that's the proper course with these two it should be remembered that the declaration of emergency gives civil authorities the right to commandeer needed materials.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Goes on to the more amusing story of the day that I heard on CNN.  Anderson Cooper(?) reported getting word of a couple of police officers who's vehicle had finally flooded out (from driving in the waters) and got word of a couple of looters in a car lot attempting to steal some of them.  The cops went and got caught in a shootout with them, eventually chasing them off.  The cops in turn took the very cars that the looters were stealing and used them to begin patroling again.   :whistle: :hehe:
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, New Orleans

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users