Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Have Other Countries Offered Aid To The US?

Katrina Top News 2005 Foreign Aid to NOLA

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#1 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:25 PM

Given the amount of emergency aid we offer up to victims of floods, famines, earth quakes etc...I can't help wondering if any other countries have offered assistance to the US in dealing with Katrina.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:33 PM

I don't know. The only information I have is about the aid workers and National Guard units that my state of West Virginia sent down and is in the process of sending down. The local or national news from my local stations hasn't mentioned anything else.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#3 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:44 PM

Haven't heard a peep but ...

One of my bosses is a colonel in the National Guard and works with FEMA on logistics.  He was called to duty and has been in the area since the weekend.

My little city is about 540 miles from New Orleans but we are currently sheltering 300 evacuees in local hotels for a near give away rate.  I know it doesn't sound like much, but the Rangers baseball team is giving free tickets to everyone with an Alabama, Mississippi or Louisiana driver's license.  Plus, several local radio stations are having fundraisers for cash to give the emergency services groups such as Red Cross and Salvation Army.  Southwest Airlines flew their employees, their families, and their planes out of the storm areas to DFW.  My old "wrecking" crew is ready to go when the clean up and rebuild efforts get under way.  I don't know if I will be going because I'm getting old but I can still handle a wrecking bar so I might.

While there is still more to be done, there are people doing what they can.  It would be nice if relief was offered from other countries but the awesome thing about America are the people who pull together in the hard times.

#4 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:58 PM

While there is still more to be done, there are people doing what they can. It would be nice if relief was offered from other countries but the awesome thing about America are the people who pull together in the hard times.

This is true, we have a long tradition of pitching in and helping each other out when bad things happen but we could sure use some help with this one. I wonder if other countries really understand the magnitude of the problems we're dealing with in Katrina's wake.

I don't know. The only information I have is about the aid workers and National Guard units that my state of West Virginia sent down and is in the process of sending down. The local or national news from my local stations hasn't mentioned anything else.

That's why I asked because I've heard nothing about any help being offered up from other countries. I figured if other countries had offered it, this would be a good place to ask about it.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:26 PM

I think one of the reasons we more often give financial aid than receive it is because we are both larger and richer than a number of other nations.

But if any nation could give a hand with something like manpower right now, there'd probably be a use for it.

I'm thinking first we'll probably try to utilize our own resources, though....like the Guard units coming from West Virginia.  There will likely be other states sending units down before this whole thing is through.

Peridot

#6 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:36 PM

Ironically, the first country I saw come forward with concrete aid offers was...Venezuela.

http://www.allheadli...cles/2250908522

Caracas, Venezuela (AHN) - Last week Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez was attacking the U.S. for comments from 700 Club President, Pat Robertson, about calling for an assassination of the leader; Tuesday Chavez is offering aid to the victims of Hurricane Katrina.
"We place at the disposition of the people of the United States in the event of shortages we have drinking water, food, we can provide fuel," Chavez tells Associated Press.
Chavez says fuel can be sent to the United States through a Citgo refinery that has not been affected by the hurricane. Citgo is owned by Venezuela's state-owned oil company, Petroleos de Venezuela. He also offers to send aid workers to the gulf coast.

"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#7 Rhys

Rhys

... a learning experience.

• Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:46 PM

You can bet that there will be a lot of aid from Canada, even just from private donations.

The US does have the infrastructure to recover and get everything back on track (as much as that's possible), though.  A lot of these overseas countries don't, which is why it's a bigger deal when something hits them.

Rhys
"It's easy to bond over hating something together - The Internet is total proof of that." Cyd/Codex, The Guild

Change the world!  No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

#8 Airhead

Airhead
  • Islander
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:59 PM

Canada Offers Help to USA
Josh Pringle
Tuesday, August 30, 2005 8:39 PM

The Federal Government is offering help to the victims of the Hurricane Katrina, including medical supplies.

Deputy Prime Minister Anne McLellan says Canadian health authorities have offered to send emergency medical supplies from the country's emergency stockpile.

http://www.cfra.com/...cat=2&nid=31438

Deputy Prime Minister Anne McLellan said Ottawa is ready to provide assistance if needed.

"During this difficult time, we are offering our support to our friends and neighbours," McLellan said.

Conservative Leader Stephen Harper also offered words of support.

"Natural disasters such as this remind us that when our close friends and neighbours are in trouble we, as Canadians, are always ready to help out," he said.

The Canadian Salvation Army has offered to help with relief efforts and is welcoming cash donations.

http://www.macleans....ontent=n083067A

Universal Drug Store, one of
the leading Canadian mail order pharmacies says that it will immediately
provide free priority shipping on all orders it receives from storm victims in
Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee as well as make a contribution
to the American Red Cross for all orders received until September 15.
    "Our heart goes out to all those affected by this tragic event. In an
effort to show our support, Universal Drugstore will make a contribution to
the American Red Cross in the amount of $1 for each order received from all
our customer orders starting immediately and running through the end of
business on September 15, 2005," notes Randall Stephanchew, Director of
Pharmaceutical and Professional Services.

http://www.prnewswir...04096933&EDATE=

And Hydro One has said that they are ready to roll - they will send down a convoy to help restore power where needed when they are given the go ahead.  There's a kids football team somewhere in Florida that named themselves after Hydro One when the workers were down there after the big hurricanes hit that state.

And I'm quite sure there is more out there.

#9 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 08:21 AM

Airhead,
God bless Canada, we couldn't ask for a better neighbor. Likewise for Venezuela how ironic is that? I wonder if Robertson still wants to "take the guy out"?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Cyncie

Cyncie

Cool Daddio!

• Islander
  • 689 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 11:06 AM

MuseZack, on Aug 30 2005, 09:36 PM, said:

Ironically, the first country I saw come forward with concrete aid offers was...Venezuela.

http://www.allheadli...cles/2250908522

Caracas, Venezuela (AHN) - Last week Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez was attacking the U.S. for comments from 700 Club President, Pat Robertson, about calling for an assassination of the leader; Tuesday Chavez is offering aid to the victims of Hurricane Katrina.
"We place at the disposition of the people of the United States in the event of shortages we have drinking water, food, we can provide fuel," Chavez tells Associated Press.
Chavez says fuel can be sent to the United States through a Citgo refinery that has not been affected by the hurricane. Citgo is owned by Venezuela's state-owned oil company, Petroleos de Venezuela. He also offers to send aid workers to the gulf coast.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe we can work a barter... we got sumpthin' you want, you got sumpthin' we want. ;)

~Cyn

Goodnight, Sweetheart
Well, it's time to go...

#11 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 12:02 PM

Lin731, on Aug 30 2005, 08:25 PM, said:

Given the amount of emergency aid we offer up to victims of floods, famines, earth quakes etc...I can't help wondering if any other countries have offered assistance to the US in dealing with Katrina.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very, very, good question.

And since it seems that, so far, only Canada and Venezuala have offered aide...those should be the only countries that we give aide to in the future. I'm sick and tired of seeing the USA get taken advantage of, when other countries don't return the aide when we need it. So F**k those countries that don't return the help.

And since Chavez was one of the only two leaders that offered aide, the USA should definately extradite Roberston.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#12 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 12:08 PM

MuseZack, on Aug 30 2005, 06:36 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm impressed.  :happy:

Lin731, on Aug 31 2005, 05:21 AM, said:

God bless Canada, we couldn't ask for a better neighbor. Likewise for Venezuela how ironic is that? I wonder if Robertson still wants to "take the guy out"?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm starting to confuse Robertson with Phelps.  I almost posted, didn't he head for Sweden or something?  :rolleyes:  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#13 Rhiannonjk

Rhiannonjk

Woof!

• Islander
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 12:42 PM

Um....  

Could it be that since we are always rushing to the aid of other countries, that we project an image of not needing help?  Have we asked for help?  

I find it VERY wrong to expect anything back for help you voluntarily give in the first place.  To even say "I helped you, therefore you owe me..." irks me.  

People don't owe us anything.  If help is volunteered, then Thank You to whomever offers.  But to act like we are owed help because we have helped in the past is defeating the purpose of charity.

***Is easily distracted***

#14 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 01:44 PM

Rhiannonjk, on Aug 31 2005, 12:42 PM, said:

Um.... 

Could it be that since we are always rushing to the aid of other countries, that we project an image of not needing help?  Have we asked for help? 

I find it VERY wrong to expect anything back for help you voluntarily give in the first place.  To even say "I helped you, therefore you owe me..." irks me. 

People don't owe us anything.  If help is volunteered, then Thank You to whomever offers.  But to act like we are owed help because we have helped in the past is defeating the purpose of charity.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not saying that we are owed anything. It's the principle of it. It's a matter of respect. We helped countless millions when they were down, yet only two countries offer aide? WTF is up with that? The very least those we helped in the past could do is at least offer.

If I helped someone who was down and out, and down the road I'm down and out, and they don't at least offer to help; then next time they are on their own. It's like I said, it's a matter of respect.

And as for charity? Since when is the US the world's charity organization?
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#15 Rhiannonjk

Rhiannonjk

Woof!

• Islander
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 01:49 PM

When we load up to go help another country, it is an act of charity.  

And the sadness in the world is that very few people give acts of charity without expecting something in return (tax breaks, recognition, retribution...)

***Is easily distracted***

#16 szhismine

szhismine

why must you hurt me in this way Harry...

• Islander
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 01:59 PM

^indeed.
Neville: "My grandmother forbids me from using raunchy language."
Harry: "Well your grandmother is a Blast-Ended Skank!"
Neville: *GASP*
Hermione: "He doesn't mean it Neville, he's just testing out some wizard swears."
Harry: "I mean every word I ever say ever, because I'm Harry Potter." --'Wizard Swears', Potter Puppet Pals

Hermione: "What's your problem Harry?"
Harry: "My parents are dead, my life sucks, I can't hold down a girlfriend, and I'm surrounded by f*ck*ng goblins and sh*t all the time. I mean what the f*ck?"
Ron: "But it's magic Harry. The goblins are magical!" --'Wizard Angst', Potter Puppet Pals

Me: "It's just a matter of looking past [McKay's] arrogant exterior to see his warm, fuzzy, probably angst-filled interior."
Hawkeye: "You harperchondriac girls think everyone has an angst filled interior."

"Good gods, you sniff out angst like a police dog sniffs out drugs." --Lyric (to me)

#17 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 02:13 PM

Um....

Could it be that since we are always rushing to the aid of other countries, that we project an image of not needing help? Have we asked for help?

Given the scope of this disaster, how could anyone look at the situation and think we don't need or couldn't use help? Many countries with images of "not needing help" have recieved offers of aid from the US in times of crisis. Should we have to ask?

I find it VERY wrong to expect anything back for help you voluntarily give in the first place. To even say "I helped you, therefore you owe me..." irks me.

It's not about "expectations" or "owing" it's about living in a global community and acting as such when a crisis happens to one of your neighbors. It's about concern, cosideration and acting in a spirit of compassion when you see others in need. In short, I call it common decency and respect.

People don't owe us anything. If help is volunteered, then Thank You to whomever offers. But to act like we are owed help because we have helped in the past is defeating the purpose of charity.

You're correct, they don't "owe us" nor have I tried to imply that they do. I guess I just expected better. I wonder though when the rest of the world will stop treating the US like we "owe" them something. From where I sit, there is always the feeling that we're obligated to do XY&Z for other countries yet when we could use a hand there's none offered. I've always had great respect for Canada and it has risen to new levels based on this. I'm also reevaluating my view of Venesula in light of their offers to assist...My view of the rest of the worlds leaders...Well I don't owe them anything do I?

And the sadness in the world is that very few people give acts of charity without expecting something in return (tax breaks, recognition, retribution...)

This may be true of governments but that isn't the case for the American people. They are a very giving bunch without incentives to do so.

Edited by Lin731, 31 August 2005 - 02:16 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 Enkanowen

Enkanowen
  • Islander
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 03:03 PM

LORD of the SWORD, on Aug 31 2005, 01:02 PM, said:

Very, very, good question.

And since it seems that, so far, only Canada and Venezuala have offered aide...those should be the only countries that we give aide to in the future. I'm sick and tired of seeing the USA get taken advantage of, when other countries don't return the aide when we need it. So F**k those countries that don't return the help.

And since Chavez was one of the only two leaders that offered aide, the USA should definately extradite Roberston.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah, because Indonesia has recovered from the Tsunami (not). And hey, those starving children in Africa should give up their handful of rice every two days... come on, you know better than that. Most countries that are given aid cannot return it because they have nothing to give. This is about *charity* and love for your fellow man no matter how much one disagrees with their government (i.e. Chavez).

#19 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 04:51 PM

yeah, because Indonesia has recovered from the Tsunami (not). And hey, those starving children in Africa should give up their handful of rice every two days... come on, you know better than that. Most countries that are given aid cannot return it because they have nothing to give. This is about *charity* and love for your fellow man no matter how much one disagrees with their government (i.e. Chavez).

I hope you don't think I agree with the "cut off the aid assessment". I'm not talking about countries that simply have no means to offer any assistance. For myself, I'm talking about developed countries that most certain DO have the means and ability but apparently lack the inclination to offer up help.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 04:55 PM

Enkanowen, on Aug 31 2005, 03:03 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What part of "It's the principle" and "It's a matter of respect" did you not understand?

I would have a lot more respect for a country, say Indonesia, if they said: "Listen, we don't have much, infact not sure how much we'd be able to help, but if you need help we will try our best to give it."

But no, guess that's just too much to ask. Like I said it's a matter of respect and principle.

On MSNBC they read the statement from the Queen of England, about Katrina. The Queen went on to express her sympathies, and that the victims were in their prayers, yada yada yada...Yet don't recall hearing on tid bit about an offer of aide. What Bush SHOULD do is give a press conference and say something to the effect of: "And I want to thank Canada and Venezuela for their offers of aide. The only 2 countries in the world to do so. We are grateful and will be sure to return the aide should you need it."

Then leave all the other ingrate parasities shamed, and wondering if the USA would help them, since then thumbed their nose at the US.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, Top News 2005, Foreign Aid to NOLA

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users