Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Have Other Countries Offered Aid To The US?

Katrina Top News 2005 Foreign Aid to NOLA

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#41 Julianus

Julianus
  • Islander
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 07:57 AM

waterpanther, on Sep 1 2005, 12:42 PM, said:

The French have a crisis team already on the ground, and France has said it will offer both humanitarian and military aid as needed.  Let's just hope the "Freedom fries"/"cheese-eating surrender monkeys" crowd has enough sense to accept the offer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How about carte blanche for a company of the Foreign Legion to deal with the looters?

#42 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 08:12 AM

What help CAN these other countries give this one? We're the ones that have the kinds of resources that are called for in a situation like this and the ability to drop them in other parts of the world. If another country doesn't offer help because there's nothing they can do, I don't care about that. You can't expect people to do things they simply can't do.

The real problem with how people in other countries react to the USA's foreign aid programs isn't the lack of reciprocation that they couldn't give if they wanted to; it's the hatred and demonization we get for it (which reveals their claims of sympathy when something like this happens to us to be lies in pretense of magnanimity).

#43 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 09:29 AM

I saw a former head of FEMA critizing the piss poor way this situation has been dealt with, blaming it on the fact that FEMA got sucked into the Homeland Security Dept and that their priorities had totally been skewed in that direction. Now I see these other bits of new...Not allowing a vendor to feed people???? Not allowing a Canadian team in to help???? What a pack of incompetent, idiots we have in charge. Just another sorry example of what we've been seeing for years now on more fronts that I care to think about. An homeland security...A Big, fat, expensive JOKE. They seem more a hinderence than a help.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#44 Airhead

Airhead
  • Islander
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 09:40 AM

Could their refusal of help be due to the fact that the DART team is a military group?

Operational criteria

The DART is a military organization designed to deploy rapidly anywhere in the world to crises ranging from natural disasters to complex humanitarian emergencies. The DART: responds rapidly, in conjunction with national and regional governments and non-governmental agencies, to stabilize the primary effects of an emergency or disaster; provides purified drinking water and medical aid to help prevent the rapid onset of secondary effects of a disaster; and gains time for the deployment of national and international humanitarian aid to facilitate long-term recovery in a disaster-stricken community.

More info...

#45 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 09:48 AM

Could their refusal of help be due to the fact that the DART team is a military group?

Only if our government is paranoid enought to expect a Canadian attack.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#46 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 09:51 AM

I saw a list of five to six countries on CNN before I left for work; can't remember which ones, except that the Netherlands were on the list.

I'd be grateful if they helped rebuild.
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#47 mjtian

mjtian
  • Islander
  • 897 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 10:08 AM

It appears that countries from across the world are reacting.  I hope and assume that aid will follow quick.  Article.  I believe President Bush is trying to get former presidents Bush and Clinton to do the same type of relief work they did for the Tsunami.  

As a broke student that has $170,000 in debt, I am also looking for a good way to donate some more of my loan money.  This is so devastating and I hope each American will stand up and offer some help.  Here are some sites that are accepting donations:

American Red Cross

Salvation Army

FEMA
"I have missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game winning shot... and missed. And I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why... I succeed" -Michael Jordan

#48 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 10:25 AM

FnlPrblm, on Sep 1 2005, 05:44 AM, said:

Oh if you think THIS is bad, they had a couple of guys who run a vendors stand truck (like they have at little league baseball games and stuff [aka converted R.V.'s with the side that opens]) who had driven down to somewhere around Baton Rouge to provide and cook FOR FREE food to those being evacuated from The Pool (my short interpretation).  However, once he started cooking and getting ready to hand stuff out, he was ordered to shut down immediatly by FEMA.  The chef was sitting there crying because he was looking at all these massively hungry people and he had food that he couldn't give them.  "You just look into the eyes of these hungry people and...(begins crying)".  Now THIS is ridiculous.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did FEMA give a reason? Because if it had been me, and I saw those starving people, I'd tell FEMA to stick it where the sun don't shine. And if they want to physically shut me down, they're welcome to do it. And explain to them that I'm sure they would look absolutely stunning on tv explaining why they refused to allow hungry people to eat.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#49 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 10:31 AM

Anarch, on Aug 31 2005, 09:49 PM, said:

I'm now reading that Canadian aid to NOLA isn't being permitted in the country?  WTF?  This can't be right...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The shock wore off when the anger hit this morning, but I thought I was topped out till I read this.  WTF?  

FnlPrblm, on Sep 1 2005, 02:44 AM, said:

Oh if you think THIS is bad, they had a couple of guys who run a vendors stand truck (like they have at little league baseball games and stuff [aka converted R.V.'s with the side that opens]) who had driven down to somewhere around Baton Rouge to provide and cook FOR FREE food to those being evacuated from The Pool (my short interpretation).  However, once he started cooking and getting ready to hand stuff out, he was ordered to shut down immediatly by FEMA.  The chef was sitting there crying because he was looking at all these massively hungry people and he had food that he couldn't give them.  "You just look into the eyes of these hungry people and...(begins crying)".  Now THIS is ridiculous.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:eek2:

FnlPrblm, on Sep 1 2005, 02:44 AM, said:

I'd hate to say this for I don't really want it to get blown out of proportion, but in a way it almost seems like the governments are possibly fudging around long enough so some of the extreme poor will die off.  I mean, you've got this, you've got the point someone made in another thread with the poor people being sent to the Superdome instead of evacuated on the weekend to somewhere else and other instances as well.  It's just plain maddening at some of this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The folks in charge believe in giving their problems to their deity, and a tendency to believe that one of those problems is the poor, rather than poverty.  :angry:  

waterpanther, on Sep 1 2005, 04:42 AM, said:

The French have a crisis team already on the ground, and France has said it will offer both humanitarian and military aid as needed.  Let's just hope the "Freedom fries"/"cheese-eating surrender monkeys" crowd has enough sense to accept the offer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hopeful.  Doubtful.  :(  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#50 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 10:37 AM

Lin731, on Sep 1 2005, 06:29 AM, said:

I saw a former head of FEMA critizing the piss poor way this situation has been dealt with, blaming it on the fact that FEMA got sucked into the Homeland Security Dept and that their priorities had totally been skewed in that direction. Now I see these other bits of new...Not allowing a vendor to feed people???? Not allowing a Canadian team in to help???? What a pack of incompetent, idiots we have in charge. Just another sorry example of what we've been seeing for years now on more fronts that I care to think about. An homeland security...A Big, fat, expensive JOKE. They seem more a hinderence than a help.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This FEMA/ Homeland Security business is apparently why the levees were in such a poor state of repair.  Something about the budget being slashed to a mere 20%.  How many have paid with their lives, property, means of support, peace of mind for that bad decision?  

Lin731, on Sep 1 2005, 06:48 AM, said:

Only if our government is paranoid enought to expect a Canadian attack.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It would not surprise me.  :suspect:  

Nonny
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#51 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 10:48 AM

LORD of the SWORD, on Aug 31 2005, 11:22 PM, said:

Just saw on Scarbourough Country, on MSNBC, a reporter reported that people who tried to get out, after making their way to where the buses where, were turned away. They asked if they could buy tickets, and the bus driver told them that the bus was for police officers families, and some police officers, to get out of town, and turned them away.

With s**t like that, no wonder people are car-jaking cars. Since when are cops families more important then other people?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, how can you expect law enforcement people to do their jobs if they are worried about their families? (Just putting this out as a possible answer BTW). I mean, it would be impossible for me to be helping other people and not thinking my own family is safe.

#52 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 11:35 AM

Lover of Purple, on Sep 1 2005, 07:48 AM, said:

Just saw on Scarbourough Country, on MSNBC, a reporter reported that people who tried to get out, after making their way to where the buses where, were turned away. They asked if they could buy tickets, and the bus driver told them that the bus was for police officers families, and some police officers, to get out of town, and turned them away.

With s**t like that, no wonder people are car-jaking cars. Since when are cops families more important then other people?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, how can you expect law enforcement people to do their jobs if they are worried about their families? (Just putting this out as a possible answer BTW). I mean, it would be impossible for me to be helping other people and not thinking my own family is safe.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Something to think about for those Louisiana National Guard men and women in Iraq.  

Nonny
Posted Image

#53 szhismine

szhismine

why must you hurt me in this way Harry...

• Islander
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 11:39 AM

well... if the US government is going to turn down help when it really needs it, i guess no one will bother helping in the future. :rolleyes:

they're being so ridiculous! is it because those departments don't want the US to seem "weak" for receiving aid? do they want to deal with the crisis themselves? do they think they'll owe the countries that want to help?

Republican egos... :rolleyes:
Neville: "My grandmother forbids me from using raunchy language."
Harry: "Well your grandmother is a Blast-Ended Skank!"
Neville: *GASP*
Hermione: "He doesn't mean it Neville, he's just testing out some wizard swears."
Harry: "I mean every word I ever say ever, because I'm Harry Potter." --'Wizard Swears', Potter Puppet Pals

Hermione: "What's your problem Harry?"
Harry: "My parents are dead, my life sucks, I can't hold down a girlfriend, and I'm surrounded by f*ck*ng goblins and sh*t all the time. I mean what the f*ck?"
Ron: "But it's magic Harry. The goblins are magical!" --'Wizard Angst', Potter Puppet Pals

Me: "It's just a matter of looking past [McKay's] arrogant exterior to see his warm, fuzzy, probably angst-filled interior."
Hawkeye: "You harperchondriac girls think everyone has an angst filled interior."

"Good gods, you sniff out angst like a police dog sniffs out drugs." --Lyric (to me)

#54 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 11:44 AM

szhismine, on Sep 1 2005, 09:39 AM, said:

well... if the US government is going to turn down help when it really needs it, i guess no one will bother helping in the future. :rolleyes:

they're being so ridiculous! is it because those departments don't want the US to seem "weak" for receiving aid? do they want to deal with the crisis themselves? do they think they'll owe the countries that want to help?

Republican egos... :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh of course it's about how terrible we Republicans are.

Stupid egotistical Republicans. Why does everything end up coming down to how terrible one side ot the other is?

There can be many reasonsthey aren't being used. Maybe later we will use them. or maybe it's concern for their safety from these people looting and shooting. We just don't know so how can anyone assume it's something evil or stupid being done?

Sheesh

#55 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 11:45 AM

Nonny, on Sep 1 2005, 09:35 AM, said:

Lover of Purple, on Sep 1 2005, 07:48 AM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Something to think about for those Louisiana National Guard men and women in Iraq.  

Nonny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can agree with that Nonny. But right now we were talking about the police bus I thought.

#56 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 11:51 AM

Oh of course it's about how terrible we Republicans are.

Stupid egotistical Republicans. Why does everything end up coming down to how terrible one side ot the other is?

There can be many reasons they aren't being used. Maybe later we will use them. or maybe it's concern for their safety from these people looting and shooting. We just don't know so how can anyone assume it's something evil or stupid being done?

Sheesh

LoP,
I don't think people feel like that about you or even most republicans. I will say however that I think the administration has done a VERY poor job in dealing with this. I've seen more organised s*!t fights in the monkey cage at the zoo. Perhaps we will find out soon what the reasoning was for denying the Canadian team access but (for me anyway) whatever that reason is won't change my overall feeling that the relief efforts have been poorly prepared for and carried out. That isn't just the administrations doing (the states were woefully ill perpared as well) but between not providing 80 percent of the funding that was earmarked to improve the Levvies, not getting help in place in advance...Sorry it smacks of incompetence to me.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#57 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 11:58 AM

Local news station here kvue said the Russians had 2 cargo planes loaded with supplies ready but the US turned them down. I actually can see why- logistics are a nightmare already - there's alot of stuff ready to go in but with so many roads out, it's difficult to get aid to where it's needed...

#58 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 12:03 PM

Local news station here kvue said the Russians had 2 cargo planes loaded with supplies ready but the US turned them down. I actually can see why- logistics are a nightmare already - there's alot of stuff ready to go in but with so many roads out, it's difficult to get aid to where it's needed...

And yet I just this moment saw Sen. Mary Landrea (sp) saying that every bit of resourses are being utlilized...Sure doesn't sound like it to me if we're turning down help.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#59 szhismine

szhismine

why must you hurt me in this way Harry...

• Islander
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 12:20 PM

LoP, i was referring to the government, not people who support the Republicans.
Neville: "My grandmother forbids me from using raunchy language."
Harry: "Well your grandmother is a Blast-Ended Skank!"
Neville: *GASP*
Hermione: "He doesn't mean it Neville, he's just testing out some wizard swears."
Harry: "I mean every word I ever say ever, because I'm Harry Potter." --'Wizard Swears', Potter Puppet Pals

Hermione: "What's your problem Harry?"
Harry: "My parents are dead, my life sucks, I can't hold down a girlfriend, and I'm surrounded by f*ck*ng goblins and sh*t all the time. I mean what the f*ck?"
Ron: "But it's magic Harry. The goblins are magical!" --'Wizard Angst', Potter Puppet Pals

Me: "It's just a matter of looking past [McKay's] arrogant exterior to see his warm, fuzzy, probably angst-filled interior."
Hawkeye: "You harperchondriac girls think everyone has an angst filled interior."

"Good gods, you sniff out angst like a police dog sniffs out drugs." --Lyric (to me)

#60 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 01:39 PM

Lin731, on Sep 1 2005, 05:03 PM, said:

And yet I just this moment saw Sen. Mary Landrea (sp) saying that every bit of resourses are being utlilized...Sure doesn't sound like it to me if we're turning down help.

Define "turning down help".

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, Top News 2005, Foreign Aid to NOLA

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users