Katrina Relief

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 mjtian

mjtian
  • Islander
  • 897 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 10:11 AM

I have mentioned this on another thread.  But I think this is too important so I decided to start a new thread on this issue.  After some digging I feel the FEMA link is the best and offers other links.  God Bless.  

FEMA

Edited by mjtian, 01 September 2005 - 12:33 PM.

"I have missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game winning shot... and missed. And I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why... I succeed" -Michael Jordan

#2 Rhiannonjk

Rhiannonjk

Woof!

• Islander
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 10:15 AM

As far as board guidelines, I'm not sure how kosher this is, but there is an LJ community set up to encourage people to donate that might not otherwise called fandom_charity - worth checking out if you are into fanfic and would like to write for a good cause, or need a little extra encouragement to donate.  
http://www.livejourn...~fandom_charity

***Is easily distracted***

#3 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 10:47 AM

Here is something I found this morning about people helping out in a non-monetary but very substantial way---offering to let people stay in their homes.

http://news.yahoo.co...spare_rooms_hk4

And here is a link that was posted by Zwolf on another thread here in OT.  It lists various organizations one can donate to for disaster relief efforts.

http://www.networkfo...AHOO&cmpgn=HMPG

Peridot

Edited by Peridot, 01 September 2005 - 10:48 AM.

Posted Image

#4 mjtian

mjtian
  • Islander
  • 897 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 10:15 PM

For those of you that have already donated to the relief effort thank you!  For those that have not and are considering, please read the following.  I just saw on CNN that there are bogus site on the internet that are posing as relief groups.  So please donate with caution.  I assume the links via this FEMA link are legit.  I have heard some of these links on CNN as well (such as America's Second Harvest).  Please remember no gift is too small.  God bless.
"I have missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game winning shot... and missed. And I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why... I succeed" -Michael Jordan

#5 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 11:04 PM

And here is a link that was posted by Zwolf on another thread here in OT. It lists various organizations one can donate to for disaster relief efforts.

That's a good link, but I notice that it doesn't include the American Friends Service Committee (Quakers) on its front page (although one can find them if one enters their name in the search engine). I'm certain that the AFSC is attempting disaster relief; they generally do.

I could also suggest the AFSC website ( http://afsc.org ) for further information, but it seems to insist on trying to crash my browser, thus not being very friendly at all... :p

Edited by Norville, 02 September 2005 - 09:18 AM.

"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#6 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 11:23 PM

The only thing I've done as relief effort (so far) is for a customer who called in who managed to make it to GA with the clothes on her back... I could hear the saddness in her voice :(  

I worked for her cell phone company, and she was at risk of suspending for roaming/long distance charges on her regional plan. Backdate a Nation Wide plan for her, to take care of the extra charges that had been incured.

I wish I could do something for another customer... her brother was in the path of the hurricane and she wanted to reactivate an old second line that was his, to try to contact him. But it had been deactivated too long, there was nothing I could do, I would have if I could :(

Plan on making a donation with my next pay check.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#7 StarDust

StarDust
  • Islander
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 12:38 AM

The White House has links to the various official efforts at http://www.usafreedomcorps.gov/  
This includes the various state funds as well as the standard list that's been copied on various news agencies today. I recognized them as copied verbatum from the White House list.

Of course there is the American Red Cross at http://www.redcross.org However, I had a problem at their site on Wednesday.  It crashed in the middle of my donation so I had to wait to see if it went through or not. I didn't get email so I tried again yesterday. This time looked more promising because it went to a Yahoo site that was donated. But that crashed with a message that only partial info went through. Again, hopefully not because I can't afford multiples.

Finally I went to Amazon.com who usually does this stuff and was able to donate to the Red Cross from there.  You just use your usual method (one click) that you use to buy stuff, and the money goes to the Red Cross. Very easy and it didn't crash.

#8 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 01:01 AM

1-800-HELP NOW

At least, this is what I'm told.  There's a major fundraising drive at the university here tomorrow, which is when I'll be making my donation.

#9 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 01:11 PM

Thought this might be of interest:

Over 5000 amazing musicians have chosen to donate ALL money from the sale of their CD *directly* to the Red Cross disaster relief fund.

You can hear and buy their CDs, here:
http://cdbaby.com/group/redcross

- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#10 mjtian

mjtian
  • Islander
  • 897 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 07:32 PM

I hope many of you are watching or will watch the concert that NBC is running right now.  Aaron Neville's song "New Orleans" brought tears to my eyes.  I am going to donate again.  Please help these poor folks!

Edited by mjtian, 02 September 2005 - 07:32 PM.

#11 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 08:27 PM

Who was the guy that went off on Bush?

That was amazing.

Camera sure did leave him fast. :eek2:
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#12 mjtian

mjtian
  • Islander
  • 897 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 12:25 AM

Kanye West, Grammy winning Hip/Hop artist.  

Kanye West

Grammy

Edited by mjtian, 03 September 2005 - 12:28 AM.

#13 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 12:30 AM

beware of internet 'phishing' scams that come through your email, the parasites are out in force over this one.

#14 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 12:34 AM

As I said in another thread as soon as I can actually be sure I'll have a roof over my head and food by next month I will donate. I'm hoping I will know by next week and then I can give because right now I'm running on pocket change and what I recieved from participating in a medical experiment today along with a few donations from my friends.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#15 mjtian

mjtian
  • Islander
  • 897 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:47 PM

According to the American Red Cross over $400 million has been raised so far (09/06/2005) with over $200 million made online!  Thanks to all that have contributed to the Katrina relief effort!

#16 Rhiannonjk

Rhiannonjk

Woof!

• Islander
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 05:23 AM

Here is some information, and scams, that I learned about regarding the animals (particularly the horses, because that's what I'm on all the mailing lists for)

The crucial detail, where to donate to help the animals, is in red.  

Horses (lengthy, and from an email, so I'll spoiler-cut since I can't provide a link)
Spoiler: click to show/hide
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 08:15:03 -0000
  Subject: info about hurricane evacuee horses and scams

I am cross posting this from the Louisiana Equine Council group:

Most of you know me and I am spitting mad to know that there are several sham groups out there collecting money.... maybe LA horses will see some of it, but I am not holding my breath! Be very wary of other groups claiming to be collecting for the relief fund. According to Bonnie we have yet to see any money from any of these groups though at least one has made it clear that they plan to remove horses from our area!

Donations to the Walter Ernst Foundation through the Louisiana Veterinary Medical Association are funding ALL legitimate equine rescue/care in LA (information at bottom of post).

Bonnie Clark, President of the LA Equine Council (LEC) and publisher of the LA Horseman's Guide is coordinating the rescue efforts and this is the  ONLY group working directly with FEMA, LVMA (LA Veterinary Medical  Assn) and LEC. At the website lvma.org there is a downloadable hurricane donation form. On this form you can specify if you want the money to go to greatest need, animal relief, or veterinarian relief. There is an 800 # below and they may be able to take credit card info over the phone.

Horses being rescued from the New Orleans area are being housed at the Lamar Dixon Expo center in Gonzales where they are receiving care. This is a safe and secure site and within easy distance of the greater NO area.... we do not want horses spread all over the south!

They will NOT be leaving this site, until they are reunited with owners. Some of the organizations claiming to be soliciting aid and funds are already advertising that horses will be available for adoption in several days!  This is FALSE!!!!

If you hear of horses available for purchase or foster from our disaster area, be aware that they have been taken illegally!

Our statewide microchipping plan is helping greatly with the identification of many of the horses. If your own horses aren't freezebranded or microchipped... run don't walk and get it done!

I have just gotten off the phone with Bonnie Clark who is tirelessly coordinating the effort and staying at the Expo Center. She says  that as of tonight (Sunday, Sept 4th) if you are close enough to come to the expo center, she will need more volunteers soon as the LSU Vet School students will be returning to class on Tuesday.

Halters and  Lead ropes are needed, feed is being purchased as needed (from money from the foundation) and currently there is 2,000 bales of hay on site, so hay is okay for now. Flat back buckets are in short supply. Again, purchases are being made as needed with foundation money so cash donations are wonderful. At some point stock trailers and trucks will be needed to both bring in supplies to owners/horses who are secure and don't need transport out (just help) and to haul out stranded horses. But until at least Tuesday this is taken care of...will post again if more help is needed.

PLEASE cross post this message to other sites, I just don't have time to do it right now. I know that some people want to donate and I hate to see the money going to the wrong hands.

Grace Simcoe
  Secretary LEC (Louisiana Equine Council)

And for *ALL* animals:

Media contact: Dr. Rebecca Adcock 225-578-9826
  Dr. Walter J. Ernst, Jr. Veterinary Memorial Foundation And Louisiana Veterinarians Working for Hurricane Katrina Recovery Baton Rouge (9/2/2005)

The devastation in the Southeast Louisiana  caused by Hurricane Katrina  threatens the lives and health of thousands of pets,livestock and  exotic animals as well as the veterinary  medical infrastructure in the area.

Animals, animal owners and veterinarians have suffered and will suffer further in the weeks and months ahead. The Louisiana Veterinary Medical Association (LVMA) and the Dr. Walter J. Ernst, Jr. Veterinary Memorial Foundation are working to save animals and assist animal owners and veterinarians to recover from the disaster and properly care for pets, horses and livestock.

The Dr. Walter J. Ernst, Jr. Veterinary Memorial Foundation is accepting donations to assist with reducing the impact of the Hurricane Katrina disaster on the health of domestic and agricultural
animals  and the veterinary medical profession in Louisiana.

Donations may be made payable to "WJE Foundation" with a memo of "Hurricane Katrina Fund". Send contributions to 8550 United Plaza Blvd.,  Suite 1001, Baton Rouge, LA 70809.
More information can be obtained at www.lvma.org or call 1-800- 524-2996.

The Dr. Walter J. Ernst, Jr. Veterinary Memorial Foundation was established by the Louisiana Veterinary Medical Association to further the welfare, knowledge and integrity of the profession of veterinary medicine, promote animal well-being and humane treatment, and educate the public and the veterinary profession concerning the health of all animals.

The Louisiana Veterinary Medical Association, founded in 1905, has over 800 member veterinarians who are dedicated to advancing the science and art of veterinary medicine.

Dr. Walter J. Ernst, Jr. Veterinary Memorial Foundation
  (Federal Tax ID # 72-1507753)
  8550 United Plaza Blvd. Suite 1001
  Baton Rouge, LA 70809
  Toll Free : 1-800-524-2996
  Local: 225-928-5862
  Fax: 225-408-4422

Sue Price
Conyers, Georgia

I was affiliated with the animal rescue after Floyd here in NC (when half the state was under water) and I know that this process is not pretty at all.

***Is easily distracted***

#17 mjtian

mjtian
  • Islander
  • 897 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 09:13 PM

$578 Million and counting according to the American Red Cross.  Thank you America!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, Relief

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users