13 replies to this topic

#1 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

Fan of Many Things

• Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 11:03 AM

Noah's Wish organization

This is a national organization that helps to rescue animals pets and others in the middle of disasters.   They were mentioned by the NO tv station wwltv.com as coming into the NO areas starting the last day or so.

WWLTV online

If the mods wish to move this please do so. I'm not sure where it should go.
Shamba,
I Trust SNAPE!  so .. he better be loyal!
I Knew Where NZ was before LOTR!
Frodo Lives! Long Live the King!
It may not be a time of myth and legend, but it's
definitely a time for heroes and heroines!
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

#2 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 05:53 PM

The LSU website also has animal related information including where animals of people in Red Cross shelters can be housed.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#3 Kelela

Kelela

treat your pets well

• Islander
  • 394 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 08:19 PM

Thank you!!!!!!!!!! shambalayogi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've watched as seals and other animals are left to the elements. While some try to keep them alive, I know that there are many, many pets and wildlife left to die.  It hurts almost as bad as the human loss. My bucks go here for now. I don't have much, but for the 'critters' of this disaster my last few dollars go there.

Again, Shambalayogi, THANKS!!!!!

Kelela
If there's one thing I've learned .... it's to always have your flexibility in top working condition ;) -- Nikki Peppermint

Things to say when someone says "God Bless You" ----
sarcastic: Are you in charge of God's blessings? 'Cuz, I could use a few more...
humorous: Thanks - I need all the blessings I can get...
flirtatious: "He already did when I saw you"
chatty: "Did you know where the tradition of saying "God bless you" came from?"----
Handmaiden07

#4 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

Fan of Many Things

• Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 12:03 PM

You're certainly welcome, Kelela.
Shamba,
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

#5 darthsikle

darthsikle
  • Dead account
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 12:44 PM

Oh jeeebus.  Shouldn't we wait until all the HUMANS are rescued before we worry about the animals??
Goodbye.

#6 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 12:51 PM

DS, to some people, as they may be the only things that people have left, might be as important as the people themselves.

And the animals aren't shooting at resuceers, or looting, or raping helpless folk.

Also the animals are a lot more helpless than the people- they can't open a MRE, or a bottle of water.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#7 darthsikle

darthsikle
  • Dead account
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 01:04 PM

Shalamar, on Sep 2 2005, 05:51 PM, said:

And the animals aren't shooting at resuceers, or looting, or raping helpless folk.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow.  Don't know what to say as that is correct.  It's a shame isn't it??
Goodbye.

#8 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 01:06 PM

darthsikle, on Sep 2 2005, 12:44 PM, said:

Oh jeeebus.  Shouldn't we wait until all the HUMANS are rescued before we worry about the animals??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Couldn't have said it better.

I remember when I watched the movie "Volcano" with Tommy Lee Jones. One scene showed a reporter doing a "live" broadcast covering the animals that got injured with the volcano and lava. And I remember thinking to myself, this is stupid. At least make the movie realistic. No reporter, in his right mind, would be concerned about animals when Humans are still in danger and getting injured...

Apparently I was wrong...that scene was very realistic after all.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#9 Anastashia

Anastashia

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 01:12 PM

One of the key reasons why LSU is able to offer the shelter for animals is because it has a School of Veterinary Medicine. I agree we need to be concentrating on getting the humans rescued, but I see nothing wrong with also getting the word out on where animals that may be with people already out can be sheltered.

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,

I will testify to love
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#10 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

Fan of Many Things

• Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 02:27 PM

darthsikle, on Sep 2 2005, 10:44 AM, said:

Oh jeeebus.  Shouldn't we wait until all the HUMANS are rescued before we worry about the animals??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your's is a fair valid question.  Well I don't see why that has to be.  There are organizations to help both groups.   You or anyone can give to both kinds of charities or one kind if you want to. I'm going to give to one animal charity I know of and the Red Cross or Salvation Army.

That's my calm reasonable answer.  

My *real* , emotional and somewhat smartass answer is some animals souls are worth a whole lot more than some individual humans like my Persian cat souls together are worth more than the likes of say, Osama Ben Laden and those of his ilk.

Edited by shambalayogi, 02 September 2005 - 02:30 PM.

Shamba,
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

#11 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,226 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 05:27 PM

Theres also the fact the animal organizations are equiped or trained to handle people emergency I would surmise. Easy example: they likely have cages.... even if they could fit people in them, would you have them do it?

I remember hearing about a boy though, being evacuated from N.O. on a bus, and they wouldn't let him bring his dog with him.... I understand the reasoning, they are trying to get the people first, and some of those people might be allergic to dogs, but this kid has just lost *everything* and now you take his best friend away. The kid cried until he vomited.
I understand why they wouldn't let him take the dog, but I feel so sad and sorry for that kid :(

Edited by sierraleone, 02 September 2005 - 06:07 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#12 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 12:05 AM

{{{{{{{{{Shamba}}}}}}}}}

Thanks for posting this. I'm glad to know there are organizations like this that focus on locating and saving the animals involved in a disaster, so that the organizations like the Red Cross and others that are there to help people can focus entirely on doing that.

And what a kindness for people who may have had to leave animals behind in order to get themselves and their families out, to know there is at least a chance that their pets can be found and reunited with them.  

The Noah's Wish team reached Slidell, Louisiana today.  We have met with emergency management and animal control.  Tomorrow we will begin to provide assistance for animals in this devastated area.  Almost everyone we talked with this afternoon had a story to tell of an animal.  Unfortunately, many of the stories were of animals that were left behind when people had to evacuate.  People are getting desperate to find their animals. 

I certainly wish the Noah's Wish team the best in their courageous efforts.
:welldone:

Peridot

#13 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 10:55 AM

sierraleone, on Sep 2 2005, 10:27 PM, said:

I remember hearing about a boy though, being evacuated from N.O. on a bus, and they wouldn't let him bring his dog with him.... I understand the reasoning, they are trying to get the people first, and some of those people might be allergic to dogs, but this kid has just lost *everything* and now you take his best friend away. The kid cried until he vomited.
I understand why they wouldn't let him take the dog, but I feel so sad and sorry for that kid :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I saw that too. :(  I cried with the kid.

As for why we should rescue the animals as well as people, well, animals are people too! Humans are not worthy of the title "person" if they cannot accept that the eyes of a dog left behind contain sadness greater than ours in that same situation.

#14 Anastashia

Anastashia

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 11:39 AM

They would literally have had to drag Pegan away from me in that circumstance. She just will not let anyone take her away from me. It's rather embarassing in the vet's office when they need to get her into the backroom for something.

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,

I will testify to love
Testify to Love

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hurricane Katrina, Top News 2005, Animal Rescue, Noah's Wish

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users